Scarred

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Walking out of the shop, I heard Takis behind me. "Come on everyone I'm closing the shop early tonight." There was an objection by everyone. "Which part did you not understand? Everyone out, I'm closing!" He yelled out. That brought a smile to my face. I guess, to speak from the heart is better than smashing tables into a million pieces.

Dad was quiet in the car, as I drove to Joe's Bar. Once parked outside the bar, he refused to get out of the car. He just wanted to go home. A few minutes later, Joe appeared at the entrance. Walking around to the passenger side, opening the car door. "I was wondering when you were going to come and have a drink." As he reached to help my father out of the jeep, he said to me, "Are you going to get the wheelchair or just sit there and gawk."

Entering Joe's bar, the place was buzzing with life. Joe helped dad at one of the tables. At once Joe brought a bottle of his favourite brand with three glasses. Dad asked if he could have a Keo beer, as he was on medication. Joe looked at him for a moment. "You come to my place for the first time, and you're not going to have a JD with me." Then he smiled. "No problem Costa a Keo beer it is." Rushing to the bar, he was back with dad's request a moment later.

"Pretty busy tonight, what is it free drinks night?" I asked Joe.

"No, since that night when you kicked the shit out of those goons. It was a wake-up call for me. I banned them from coming here. Since then it's like this, every evening." At that moment Mario and Lucas walked into the bar. On seeing me, they turned and walked out.

"What about the two that walked in and out straight away?" I asked.

"They are an exception. They've been warned. With the first sign of trouble, they will not be welcome here." Raising his glass, we cheered. Both of us tossing back our drinks. With the bottle in his hand, Joe said, "one more?"

"Go on, one more for the road," I answered back.

Chapter 8

There was the sound of intense banging coming from behind my bedroom door. As I slowly climbed out of bed, I found much difficulty keeping my balance. I thought my head was going to split in half. Just about getting my shorts on, I rushed out of my bedroom straight into the bathroom. The smell of my urine was so intense as I urinated into the toilet. "Is that what it smells like in the morning after having a couple of drinks the night before," was my thought. Letting the cold water run in the wash basin, I initiated to throw water onto my face. Seeing it wasn't helping much, I decided to put my head under the tap.

Once I made it to the kitchen, I discovered where the noise was coming from. There Joe was with a hammer in his hand, putting up some picture hooks. "Jesus Christ, couldn't you wait till everyone got up then start hammering. And what is that wearisome smell, I want to be sick," I called out.

Joe stopped what he was doing, turned to my father who was turning some bacon over in the frying pan. "Costa, hasn't your son ever got drunk?" he asked my father, with a smirk on his face.

"I guess no," my father replied.

"Michael, you want one or two eggs with your bacon," my father invited me, holding a piece of bacon over the pan, as I watched the oil drip from the slice of meat.

"I will stick with a cup of coffee for now." Grabbing a mug, I poured myself a hot beverage. "How comes you came round so early Joe?" I asked.

My father replied, "Early, it's almost midday son."

Snapping my head towards the oven clock, it showed ten minutes before twelve. "shit!" I yelled out. Disappearing into the bathroom, to have a quick shower. Appearing a few minutes later, nice and fresh. No one would have thought I was drinking the previous night. Apart from a headache, I was ready to go. "I have to pick up Helen, I promised her I would go shopping with her today," I explained as I drunk my semi-cold coffee I left on the counter earlier.

Rushing towards the front door, I hear my father shout out, "She's got you on the hook. Now she's drawing you out," my father called out, as they both commenced to laugh. "Ha Ha Ha."

With the roof down on the Wrangler, I floored the accelerator. I drove to Larnaca as fast as possible, trying not to break any driving laws. Reaching my destination, Helen was standing at the entrance of her apartment. She was holding her mobile with one hand, while the other was furiously tapping on the screen. Bringing the vehicle to a standstill, just next to her. Looking up from her device, she was not too happy to see me.

"I have been trying to text you all morning, why don't you reply to your messages?" she yelled at me.

Panicking, I tried to fish my mobile out of my jeans. Managing to retrieve the small device, it slipped out of my hand landing in the gap between the centre console and the driver's seat. Searching for it as I mumbled to Helen, "Sorry, I am not used to all this messenger and Facebook." Struggling to pull it back up with two fingers, not to drop it. Once the thing was in my hand, I pressed the power button. The screen remained black. Looking up at Helen, not knowing what to say.

The angry, beautiful face in front of me was struggling not to smile or even laugh. Climbing into the passenger seat, she leaned towards me kissing me on the lips. With a smile, she said, "come on let's go, for your punishment we are going to go to Nicosia, shopping.

"Sorry, Helen, I overslept."

"Is that why I can still smell the alcohol on your breath. A night out with the boys last night?" she replied, not in a possessive tone.

Exiting the slip road, onto the motorway I pushed the Jeep to the maximum speed I was allowed. Smiling to myself as I thought as each day goes by, I am falling in love more and more with this beautiful person sitting next to me.

Once we were in Nicosia, Helen directed me to The Mall in the city centre. For two hours it was from one shop to the other. Helen was trying a variety of outfits. When a man goes shopping, it's one or two shops, and he's finished. With a woman, it's another story. If I had one of those gizmos that count steps, I am sure I did ten thousand steps. I didn't mind. I loved spending time with her. By the time we finished, I was walking towards the car park with at least half a dozen bags in each hand.

"Are you sure you've finished? We can put the bags in the car and go back," I jokingly said to Helen.

Slapping me lightly on the shoulder, Helen replied, "It isn't every day a girl comes shopping to Nicosia.

It was late afternoon. We headed for the old city of Nicosia. The sun was disappearing behind the beautiful old building that stood in the old town for more than two-hundred years. Finding a small traditional restaurant, we sat to have something to eat.

Choosing a variety of mezes from the menu, we enjoyed each one, as we commented to each other about each dish. That was good comments as the food was terrific. Finishing off with a coffee, we both sat there looking into each other's eyes. Our free hand stretched out across the table, our fingers interlocked together.

When we eventually asked for the bill. The owner of the restaurant brought it over himself. Looking over the check, I noticed a mistake.

"I'm sorry sir, but it seems that you have made a mistake? You should have charged us more," I said to the middle-aged man, standing in front of me, smiling.

"It isn't every day that we see love blossom like you two. You reminded my wife and me when we met thirty years ago." Looking behind him, his wife was watching from the counter.

Taking some notes out of my wallet, I placed them on top of the bill. "Thank you, the food was incredible, including the service."

Hand in hand we walked back to the car. It was a long day, and it will be a lengthy drive back to Avgorou. Driving past the restaurant, the young waitress waved at us as we drove past.

"How much did they charge us at the restaurant?" Helen asked.

"About thirty euros, maybe thirty-five."

"You left a lot more than that."

"It isn't every day you have a meal like that."

Putting her hand on top of mine, when I reached to change gear. She left it there until we got back to the village.

Pulling into the driveway, the headlights from the Jeep shone on Joe's car. He must have stayed with my father, keeping him company until I returned. But it was Saturday evening. He should be at the bar. "Something is wrong," was my first thought. Entering the house, they were both sitting down at the kitchen table. With the expression, they had on their face I knew something was wrong. Tightening the grip on Helen's hand, I waited for them to speak.

"Sit down son, I need to talk to you." my father gesturing me to sit down opposite him. Joe got up, facing away from us. He looked out of the window while rubbing his neck.

"It's your cousin, George. He had a car accident."

"Is he ok?"

"He's in the operating theatre as we speak son. It happened about two hours ago."

Helen and I drove straight to Famagusta General Hospital. Joe stayed with dad until we return. Rushing into the Accident and Emergency waiting room, I saw My aunt, uncle and Maria, sitting there in deep thought. Walking up to my aunt, who was sitting in the middle. I took her hand in comfort. Maria was hugging me from the left, while my uncle, just sat there staring in space.

Uncle Sotiris and I went outside, as he wanted to have a cigarette. He told me what he knew. There weren't any eyewitnesses, but the police assumed that he was driving too fast and lost control of the car. He rolled the BMW in some fields between Avgorou and Ormidia.

"They told us, he was lucky that he had his seatbelt on," my uncle mumbled before he commenced to cry. I let him compose himself before we went back inside. Helen was trying to get as much information as she could about George's health from fellow doctors and nurses. Not being able to get any more information than what we knew. We all waited patiently. More close relatives, came when they heard the news. It was an hour later when the doctor who operated on George, came out to speak to us.

"I did, what I could to stop the bleeding. But George took a hard knock to his head and is in a coma from the swelling." Putting his hands together, making a praying gesture. "With the help of God, when the swelling goes down he will come out of the coma." Hearing this news, my aunt collapsed.

It was a dark time for our family, especially for George's family. My aunt would be by his side every day. Going home, late in the evening. After school, Maria would come to our house. Doing her homework and spending some time with us. Then her mum would pick her up in the evening to take her home. My uncle or I would take over to be with George, by his side during the night. Leaving after one in the morning. Helen pulled a few strings. Arranging for George to be in a room by himself. When I was with him, I would read to him, checking after each page. If there was any movement, looking for the slightest response.

It was mid-November. Three weeks had passed since the accident there was no change in George's condition. The swelling had gone down, but there was no change. George lay there like a vegetable, lifeless.

During this time, I did some investigating. Driving up and down, where George crashed. Looking around for any clues, that may have caused the accident. What piqued my interest, is how did George roll the car on a straight road. Also, where his tyres skidded off the road, there was another set of tyre marks overlapping his, from a wider tyre.

I decided to go and check his car. The mechanic recognised me at once. He welcomed me with a hand gesture. Apologising to me, for the night that I took my father to Takis' coffee shop. Accepting his apology, with another hand gesture. Continuing with the reason I was there, I made a quick analysis of the Beamer, asking him what his opinion was about the accident. His thought was the same as mine, how did George manage to roll the vehicle on a straight stretch of road. It's not as if one of the tyres punctured while driving. Looking at the tyres, all four of them were like new. I didn't mention to him, about the other tyre marks. I asked him, not to tell anyone about my visit, he answered back, 'my lips are sealed.' Making a closing zip gesture across his lips, with his thumb and index finger.

It was a few days later. I had just come back from Paphos, after spending the day at Uncle Stelios vineyard. Some wine manufacturers were attending the annual wine tasting. He asked me if I could be there as well. After what he did for me, how could I refuse?

Stelios was negotiating with the CEO of the wine company in his office for an hour. Jimmy and I were outside, waiting in suspense for the result. Even the employees of the vineyard were on edge. If this deal went through, they were guaranteed employment for the next five years. Plus, a lump sum bonus for everyone.

The door opened, Stelios gestured the CEO out of his office. Both of them with a blank expression on their face. He walked the visitor to his car, where the driver opened the door for the CEO. Everyone watched the Mercedes drive off in silence until it disappeared into the distance.

"Well what happened, dad. Did we get the contract?" Jimmy asked in hesitation, everyone's eyes glued on Stelios.

With that blank expression on his face, he said, "well boys to get the figures we needed, I had to add Michael's harvest as well." With a smile, he looked over at me, for approval.

It took a while to digest, but once I did. My scream of joy, I am sure could be heard in the village, which was two miles away. Embracing Stelios and Jimmy as we rejoiced. Wishing my father and Helen were here to celebrate together. I stayed a while longer, before commencing my long journey back to Avgorou.

Here I am at nine on a Saturday evening, sitting outside with dad and Helen. Telling them the excellent news regards the winery contract. I could see my father sat up in proudness, Helen embracing me in a hug. Suddenly my mobile starts buzzing, making a rattling sound on the plastic table surface. Looking at the screen, it said, 'Androulla.' My aunt was calling. "I promised her that I would stay with George tonight until one," I said with a tiredness sound in my voice.

"Don't worry. I am off tomorrow. I'll come with you and keep you company." Helen offered.

Picking up the mobile, I pressed the answer icon on the screen then put the device to my ear.

"Hey, aunty. I just got back. Going to have a quick shower and I'll be there."

"He's awake Michael; he's awake." There was a long pause before she spoke again. "He asked for you, Michael. He wants to see you."

Pressing the power button to end the call, I grabbed my car keys. I screamed, "he's come out of the coma!" Before rushing out of the house, I turned to Dad and Helen.

"Go! We'll be right behind you." Helen called out.

I drove to the hospital as fast as I could. Lucky for me, it was late in the evening, and there wasn't much activity on the roads. Bringing the Jeep to a standstill, outside the hospital entrance. Hurrying to George's room on the second floor. Avoiding to wait for the lift, taking the emergency stairs, two steps at a time. Reaching George's hospital room, the door would usually be closed, but it was open tonight. Stopping at the entrance, I looked inside. There he was, sitting up, still in a daze. Standing to his left was his family. On seeing me, they smiled.

On his other side, the nurse was preparing a drip on his arm. Once she finished and turned to see me standing there, she frowned her eyebrows. "The doctor said no visitors until tomorrow. Everyone will have to leave," she ordered.

"Two minutes nurse?" I asked politely, smiling, trying to win her over.

Curling her lip, she replied, "one minute, you have one minute." The sound of her heels clicking on the ceramic floor as she leaves the room.

Going to George's side, I give him a light punch on the shoulder, just touching his gown. "I see your awake Mad Max."

Gesturing his head with a nod, to say yes. "I guess, I made a right mess of my car." He was too weak. You could just about hear his voice.

"You sure did buddy. Don't worry we'll fix it up again." I smiled.

He mumbled something, which I didn't hear. Moving closer, putting my ear close to his mouth. "Mario forced me off the road," he whispered into my ear. Turning to look at him, he nodded his head. I turned and looked at my aunt and Maria. Both had shocked looks on their faces. On the other hand, my uncle was angry. But not as mad as I was.

As I walked out of the room, my aunt called, "What are you going to do Michael?"

"I'm going to finish this for once and for all!" I yelled out.

Chapter 9

It was almost morning. There wasn't a place I hadn't looked for Mario. For all I know he has left the area. My smartphone commenced ringing again. When I left the hospital last night, it didn't take long for Helen to call. Since then there have been at least two dozen calls from her. Disregarding the device again, I tried to focus on the road. Something that was difficult to do after a sleepless night.

I was back in the centre of the village, parked outside Takis' coffee shop. Fellow villagers were gathering, having a quick coffee before they get into there pickups to go hunting, something the male community do on a Sunday all over Cyprus.

Climbing out of the Jeep, I stretched my arms and legs out, twisting my body from left to right. It took a few seconds for the blood to circulate my body, making the pins and needles feeling go away. Entering Takis' shop, at once there was silence from everyone. The mayor was standing there staring at me. His Wembley break-action shotgun over his arm, with the barrel open. Removing two shells from his cartridge holster, he loaded the weapon. Closing the barrel by forcing the cylinder up, he held the gun ready to fire.

"How much is he paying you to stop me?" I furiously said to him.

Pointing the gun behind me, he said. "If you have come with the intention to harm anyone from this village, you have to answer to this."

Turning, behind me was one of Savvas' bodyguards. He stood there with a chain half wrapped around his hand, ready to use it. Behind him half-dozen men with a variety of weapons. When I looked back at the Mayor, everyone had their guns ready, pointing at the intruders.

"You will find him at his father's farm. Now get out of here, and end this never-ending story," he told me in a dynamic voice. I walked out of the shop towards my vehicle. Savvas' men turned to follow me, but the Mayor convinced them that it was for their best interest to stay. With over thirty guns pointing at them, they had no choice.

I came to the crossroad, exiting the village. If I go left, it will lead me to Savvas' farm, where Mario is presumably hiding. To my right, takes me to Larnaca, away from all this mayhem. Checking my rear-view mirror, I could see a car in the distance. It was Helen. I spotted a small figure jump out of her car and start running towards me.

The sound of an engine caught my ear. Coming from Savvas' farm, when I looked, a car was speeding towards me. Putting the Jeep into first gear, I floored the accelerator. The vehicle was getting closer. Before the revs went too high, I threw the gear into second. The gap between us was getting closer. It was a land rover. One of the old models, built like a tank. That's when I knew, my Wrangler did not have a chance, in a collision. Pushing my foot down, I changed to third gear. Gripping the steering wheel tight, I felt my nails dig into my palms. I was doing over fifty miles per hour. Turning the steering wheel slightly before impact, there was a deafening crashing sound. Checking to see behind me, with my side-mirror. The mirror was hanging, dangling all smashed up. Slamming my foot on the brake peddle, the Wrangler skidded along the tarmac, stopping a distance, causing a white cloud from the tyres.