Scarred

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 6

Lying there on my side, I watched the woman I have got to know in this short time. Thinking about how much I loved her. Did she feel the same way about me? Pushing the strand of hair away from her face, I gave her a light kiss on her lips. Her lip curled up at the ends into a smile, as she curled up into my arms. She slowly opened her eyes.

"I have a confession to make," she whispered in my ear.

With a lump in my throat, I said, "what?"

Putting her mouth to my ear, she whispered, "I love you." Wrapping her arms around me, I did the same. Kissing each other passionately, while we curled up together.

Suddenly the doorbell rang, which we both ignored. A moment later it started ringing again. This time continuously, the chime going into a loop of the same sound.

"Ok, ok I'm coming." Jumping out of bed, I slipped on a pair of shorts. Rushing out of the bedroom, pulling the door behind me to close. Opening the front door, in front of me was auntie Androulla, next to her Maria with a dog strap in her hand, on the other end of the belt was Charlie, sitting there looking up at me. Charlie stayed around their house last night. As a trial for Maria, to see if she can look after a dog.

"Good morning. You're up nice and early today." I cheerfully said.

"Good morning, or should I say good afternoon. Since it is nearly midday," my aunt sarcastically said with her eyebrow curled up. Walking into the hallway, straight to the kitchen. "Where's Helen? Her car is outside," my aunt said while looking around.

While filling up the kettle, I smiled. "Helen's gone to get something from the bedroom."

"Is that why the bedroom door is closed?" she quickly answered back. Coming closer to me, she whispers in my ear. "I like her a lot. Your dad was asking about you two as well." Slapping me on the bum, she called out, "Come on Maria, let's go, your cousin is busy!"

Helen and I spent Sunday afternoon together. We did some gardening, as she did not have much knowledge about landscaping. I explained to her, some basics about fruit trees. How to get rid of weeds around the stem the quickest and effective way. It was late in the afternoon when we finished. Sitting on the veranda with our frappe, relishing the work we did together.

"Not bad, not bad at all. You are terrific in the garden. You have to stand back to see the difference after you finish," Helen praised. Coming over to my side, she put her arm around my shoulder. As we both sat back, admiring the sunset.

Late in the evening, after stopping at Helen's flat to get some clothes, we visited my father. He seemed unsettled for some reason. I asked him if everything was ok. But he just said that he was worried that the doctor would not let him leave after the weekend. Helen assured him when she spoke to the professor. He reassured her that my father would go home on Monday. But I knew, something else was eating away at my father. I didn't want to agitate him anymore, so I left it at that. We stayed with him until late, leaving after ten in the evening.

Before going, we passed by the reception to speak with the nurse who was on duty. I let Helen do all the talking as she knew the employees at the hospital.

Checking the nurse's name tag before she spoke to her. "Hello Penny, you must be new here? You probably don't know me," Helen said.

Quickly pushing back, the chair, she got up. "I am sorry Doctor Kosta, I did not recognise you," the nurse said with fear in her voice.

"It's ok Penny. I just wanted to ask you if Mr Michaelides had any visitors today?"

"When I came on my shift at midday, there was a gentleman who visited him."

"What did he look like Penny," I asked.

"He was the same age, like your father. Slightly shorter than you. He was wearing a suit. That is what drew my attention. Who wears a suit in this weather?" the nurse replied.

"Thank you, Penny. Have a good evening," Helen said. Putting her hand through my arm, we started walking towards the exit in silence until we were outside.

Once the sliding doors closed behind me, I said, "You know who came to visit my dad today. That is why he was unsettled. It was Savvas." Walking across the car park, taking long strides. Helen could barely keep up with me. "Let's see what he has to say to me when he sees me on his doorstep!" I angrily yelled out.

Grabbing my arm, Helen pulled me back. "You're angry, let's go home, and we'll visit him together in the morning," Helen calmly said.

All night I was restless, falling asleep in the early hours of the morning. When I woke up, it was as if I had just closed my eyes. While making breakfast, I was all nerves. Helen tried to calm me down, with not much success. By ten in the morning, I had a call from my aunt. Telling me, that she is on her way to the hospital. I said to her to go ahead and that we will meet her there.

Jumping in the Wrangler with Helen, I drove straight to Savvas mansion. Around the property, stood an eight-foot wall. The only entrance from the road, a black metal security gate. Standing in the middle of the gate, two suits with their hands crossed across there chest. One of them spoke into a handsfree unit he had on his blazer, on seen the Wrangler approach the gate. Stopping the Jeep not more than a meter in front of them, I unhooked my seatbelt to get out.

Helen grabbed my arm before I could open the door. "You're just going to talk to him, no shouting or threatening."

I nodded at her. "Sit in the driver's seat and keep the engine running," I told her while I winked at her.

Marching up to the two suits, stopping inches away from them. They didn't twitch. Just stood there, with no expression on their face. "I want to see your boss?" I asked like I was ordering them.

At the same time, they both took a step forward. "Our boss doesn't want to see you," handsfree said in an aggressive voice.

"Look I am not leaving until I see Mr Savvas. We can do this the easy way or the hard way!" I answered back with the same aggressive tone in my voice.

"What are you going to do, force yourself passed us! Ha ha ha ha! " The other one yelled while they both started laughing.

"You see my girlfriend tends to shake when she gets nervous. If you come any closer to me, that clutch could slip from under her foot." Looking behind me, at Helen, I nodded my head. Suddenly there was the deafening sound of the Wrangler's diesel engine. "Now gentlemen, you don't want to be caught between the Jeep's grille gate and those gates." Pointing towards the car and then the gates, behind them.

After speaking in his earpiece again. A few moments later the gate commenced opening. Suits stepped to one side, making way for us to drive up to the house. The narrow road towards the house was gravelled. The large all-terrain General Grabber tyres flung the gravel inside the metal wheel arch, causing an ear-splitting sound.

At the end of the driveway, I forced my foot on the brake, causing the vehicle to skid before stopping a couple of feet away from the steps leading to the front door.

Jumping out of the Jeep, I marched up to the porch. With my hand formed into a fist, I start knocking on the front door with my knuckles. Behind me, I can hear Helen's heels on the steps. Grabbing my arm, she pulls me a step back.

"Keep calm," she calmly says, while rubbing my shoulder.

The door opens, a senior woman stands at the entrance gazing at me. Her eyes moist, her lips trembling. It took me a moment to acknowledge who she was. It was Mrs Katerina, my best friend Tony's mother. Dressed in black, like all Orthodox dress when they have a loss. You wear dark clothes for a year, to mourn that person you have lost. It has been seven years, and she was still wearing black. A woman that was proud of her appearances looked twenty years older since that fatal day seven years ago. For that moment, my anger had drained from my body.

"Hello, Michael," her voice was hollow, no feeling in her tone.

Gesturing us inside, closing the door behind us. Leading us to a large room, an oak office desk at the end, in front of it two double couches facing each other. In one corner a Drink counter, behind it the wall covered with rows of books. The other corner of the room, a glass cabinet. Many small objects inside, which I recognised at once. Items that belonged to Tony, some trophies he won, watch, sunglasses etc. Savvas had built a shrine of his son's things.

"He'll be with you soon, Michael," Mrs Katerina said. Leaving the room, at once.

Before I could say anything, the door closed behind her. What do I tell her, "I'm sorry for what happened to Tony." I couldn't look her in the eye, not alone say something. Walking closer to the cabinet, Helen next to me like my shadow, to where my best friend's treasures were. Putting my hand on the glass cabinet, trying to remember good memories we had together.

"What do you want Michael?"

The voice snapped me out of my thoughts. It was Savvas, entering the room, close behind him another one of his henchmen. I stared at him with a look of daggers as he strolled over to the oak desk, picking up a leather holder.

"Why did you go and see my father yesterday?" I spat out.

Opening the holder, he took out a fountain pen and commenced to write. "I'm going to get to the point. I'm not going to beat around the bush Michael. I want you out of Avgorou," he calmly replied, finishing off by removing a cheque from the holder and holding it out. "The amount I have written on this cheque, you can start a new life anywhere you want." Giving the piece of paper to the henchman to hand it over to me.

The bodyguard walked over, like a bodybuilder, whose biceps are too big for his head. With his arms out to the side and slightly forward. He pushed the cheque into my chest, with force. "Take it!" he yelled out in a deep muscular voice. Pushing the paper into my rib cage harder this time, causing enough pain to make me step back. "If you don't take it, I am going to ram it down your throat!" he screamed. Bringing his hand up to my face, with the cheque crunched up in his fist. Shifting quickly to the right, avoiding the force of his fist. I grabbed his wrist, twisting it hard, forcing him to drop to his knees. He wasn't aggressive anymore. He was busy nursing the pain on his hand.

Going up to Savvas, with Helen's hand tight in my hand, I calmly said to him. "I've got news for you. I'm not going anywhere. It will take a lot more than your money and muscle to make me leave." Leaving him standing there speechless, while Helen and I made our way out.

Rushing towards us, in the foyer, it was the two suits from the gate. Stopping in front of us, with their fists ready for action. I moved Helen behind me, at the same time taking a defensive position.

"Someone bring some ice for this idiot!" Savvas yelled. Both suits ran passed us, disappearing into the room.

"Let's get out of here, Angel," I said to Helen while smiling at her.

We were both quiet, as we drove out of the village. Once we were on the motorway towards the hospital, Helen broke the silence.

"How did you do that to his wrist? You have to show me. You never know when you might need to defend yourself."

The next half-hour I explained to Helen, the different moves you can do to defend yourself. Something which is difficult to do while driving.

Chapter 7

I can't remember when was the last time I had seen my father so happy. When we got home, his eyes watered up. Seeing the house cleaned up and freshly painted. Rolling the wheelchair to the garden porch, he sat there with his hand over his mouth. Helen was standing on his left while I was on his right side, my palm on his shoulder. Bringing his hand up to his arm, he squeezed my hand.

"Thank you, son," he said, while his tears flooded his cheeks.

We sat at the kitchen table, Helen going through a plan my new love and I had put together. It was a design of the house, with ideas in which we had. How to modify the building for my father's needs. He looked at the layout, while we explained to him. Looking up at us with admiration, whenever we took the turn in explaining to him something.

It was late in the afternoon when I decided to fire up the BBQ. By the time it took me to light up the charcoal, the house was full of family and friends who had come to welcome dad back home.

Uncle Sotiris took over the BBQ. "Go and attend to your guests and your father. Let someone else do this, who knows how to make the perfect pork chops." Taking the tongs, he shoved me over. Everyone came, bringing food with them. If not food it was wine or beers. It was after midnight when everyone left. I was helping Helen, and my aunt put away the last of the plates when dad came into the kitchen.

Reaching for a picture of my mother, he has on the kitchen counter. He takes it and puts the photo frame to his chest. "We should do this more often. There hasn't been much happiness in this house for years." All three of us stopped what we were doing to comfort my father.

Once everyone was gone, I was helping dad to bed. The nurses at the hospital trained me on some basics of caring for someone who has disabilities. Eventually, dad would look after himself. Until he builds up strength on his upper-body, someone needs to be here. Before leaving the room, I lifted him up slightly to take his medicine.

Helen called out, "have you seen my overnight bag babes?"

Twitching his eyebrows, my father said, "Babes, that sounds interesting."

Rolling my eyes, I answered back to Helen, "It's in the wardrobe. There wasn't anything in it when I put it there."

"Oh, I need it for my things. I better make a move. I have to be at work by eight."

I looked at my father before telling Helen. I wanted his approval, before asking Helen to stay for the night. I knew he wouldn't mind. It was the respect of asking first. "It's passed one at night young lady. You're not going anywhere!" my father called out.

I woke up to find Helen was not next to me. Stretching my arms, I felt like turning and going back to sleep, but I needed to check on dad. Grasping my watch from the side cabinet, it showed nine in the morning. Giving it a few shakes before putting it on my wrist. A habit I have. The watch was a gift from my father for my sixteenth birthday. "Give it a few shakes before you put it on, an automatic watch sometimes needs to wind up if it's been sitting a while", he explained to me.

Dad was out on the veranda, enjoying his coffee. By his side Charlie lying there, not a care in the world. "Good morning dad."

"Good morning son."

"Helen must have got up early and gone to work. I'm going to make myself an omelette. You fancy one as well dad?" I cheerfully said, while filling up the coffee jug with water.

"I'm okay Michael. Helen and I had breakfast before she left. She was up before me, prepared everything. Even helped me out of bed. I like her son, reminds me of your mum," he told me while wheeling his wheelchair into the kitchen. Charlie, strolling behind him.

"I like her too dad."

*****

Two months had passed since dad had left the hospital. It was a long road for him, to adapt to his new way of life. He would try to do something on his own, without success. Getting frustrated, he would give up on life. Helen and I would be by his side. Encouraging him every day, pushing the boundaries to his abilities. Taking that extra step, to his goal.

He began to work out on his upper body. Every morning, when I finished my morning run, we would work out together. Supporting him, pushing him to his next objective.

We had builders and carpenters in the house. Had to bring contractors from Larnaca. Everyone was busy in the village. "We have too much work, too busy to take on any new projects", that is what they would say. Big Joe and I with a sledgehammer each, would do the hard labour work. The building crew did the rest. Installing wheelchair ramps and a newly fitted kitchen.

Every time I stepped out of the house. I would encounter hostility from people I had known most of my life. In the supermarket, at the petrol station, everywhere. Wherever I turned, men and women would look the other way. As long as there was peace, I was happy.

Dad had been in the house for almost two months. The only outdoor activity he had seen was in the back garden. It was late in the evening, Helen was working the night shift. Dad and I had just finished our meal, after washing up everything. He wanted to see some of his friends at the coffee shop. Have a chat with his friend Takis about the hunting season they had this year.

"It's late dad, and I'm tired. Maybe tomorrow." It was an excuse. I didn't want to take dad out, just in case, people treated him the way they approached me.

"Come on Michael. we can do with some fresh air." Rolling his wheelchair to his bedroom to get ready.

Bringing the Wrangler to a halt outside Takis' coffee shop. I could sense everyone's eyes pointed towards the Jeep. I was hoping dad did not notice anything. Lifting him out of the car seat, I placed him in his wheelchair. Grasping the wheelchair handles, I commenced pushing the wheelchair towards the coffee shop. "It's ok son. I'll take it from here." Once I let go of the handles, he wheeled himself as fast as he could. Like a child rushing into a candy store.

Entering the premises, dad went straight to the counter to say hello to his friend Takis. The proprietor on seeing my father, at once rushed over to greet him.

"My good friend, welcome back home," Takis said to dad, at the same time taking his hand to give him a firm handshake. "Hey, everyone look who's back our good friend Costas!" He called out.

There was sudden silence. Everyone looked over for a few seconds then went back to what they were doing. Takis took the handles of the wheelchair, and he pushed it next to one of the tables nearby. "Let me make you two Greek coffees guys," Takis said to us, smiling at me and nodding his head. I sat opposite dad, waiting to see his reaction.

"Hi Jack, how is the water pump you had problems with, did you fix it?" dad asked one of the farmers he knew sitting on the table next to ours.

"It's ok," the man answered, then turned his back to us.

Dad looked towards the Mayor at another table who was with three others, playing cards. "Peter, they have done a good job with the roads. Almost all the potholes are gone." I could see the frustration on dad's face.

"Costa he has to go. Your son has to leave the village. Go back to where he was for seven years. He's causing us too many problems being here," the Mayor answered back.

Dad just stared at the man. He had the saddest look on his face I had ever seen. With his head down he started wheeling himself out of the shop, towards the car. Getting up, I followed him to the car. Helping him into the Jeep, not exchanging a single word. Putting the wheelchair in the back, I decided to go back to the coffee shop.

Walking straight up to Takis, who was preoccupied with making some beverages. "Taki, I'm sorry we have to go. Dad wasn't feeling very well." He was speechless; he didn't have anything to say.

Turning around, I looked around me. Everyone was acting as if nothing happened. Walking up to the table we were seated, I just stood there. Like I was ready to give a speech. No one would turn to look at me. Turning my hand into a fist, I raised it and brought it crashing down onto the table. Causing a deafening sound, making everyone jump, getting their attention. I was shaking with anger, all I wanted to do at that moment was to pick up that table and smash it into a million pieces. But I didn't, taking a deep breath I turned to leave.

After two steps I turned. With anger in my voice, I said, "I am twenty-five years old. Until today I was so proud to be from Avgorou. But at this moment I am ashamed to say where I am from." Walking up to Jack, the man, my father asked about the water pump. "How many times did my father help you out? I remember when I was young. You needed help economically when you couldn't put food on the table for your family. Who gave you money? That was the best you could do. 'It's ok.' two words." Walking towards the Mayor as I carried on speaking. "He wanted so much to come here tonight. To see his fellow villagers, his friends and talk about how you did with the hunting season." I reached the Mayor's table. Standing over him, I looked down at him. He was holding his hand of cards like a hand fan. Grabbing them from his hand, I threw them in the middle of the table. Exposing to the other players the cards he had. "How much is he paying you? He seems to be paying everyone else." I waited for a response, but he didn't open his mouth to say anything. "Just as I thought. No comment." Turning to Takis, I apologised before turning to walk out.