All Comments on 'Second Chances'

by Regguy69

Sort by:
  • 123 Comments
froggytreefroggytree7 months ago

True repentance. Immediate confession. Sincere apologies. I can see it.

DrtywrdsmithDrtywrdsmith7 months ago

Good story, well written.

UpperNorthLeftUpperNorthLeft7 months ago

I’d like to think I could forgive this single episode of cheating. The immediate confession and remorse are a good start on the way to building back trust.

SyzyguySyzyguy7 months ago

A good, believable short story; her honesty will have helped restore trust. Thank you for posting it.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy7 months ago

Yes! And even third or fourth ones, if necessary!

5

francemanfranceman7 months ago

What I don't believe in is saying it's a mistake, as if we had no control over it.

No, it's not a mistake, it's a bad decision, or rather a multitude of bad decisions.

After forgiveness, I don't think we can really say anything until we're really in that position.

GarySmith69GarySmith697 months ago

There would a lot a trust issues. It would take a long time to trust her again lots of checking up on her nights out. But if could live with that then maybe. But the marriage would change completely.

demanderdemander7 months ago

When you take a big bite out of the apple, it can never look the same, or taste as good. D

EightyThousandEightyFiveEightyThousandEightyFive7 months ago

Infinitely preferable to the revenge porn, BTB dregs that infest this category.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShit7 months ago

She crossed the fine line between drunk and stupid. We don’t know what he did during their brief separation. Telling her that she probably would have succeeded if she never told him, established that he’d be suspicious whenever she traveled without him. Suspicions drive mistrust. He took a huge risk, but again we don’t know what he may have done to cope for the next 20 years.

MissMudMissMud7 months ago

Yes, I think a second chance is possible, but it all depends on a multitude of factors, feelings, circumstances, commitments - on and on. Forgiveness is a hard thing to earn, but not impossible. This is a very good thought- provoking story! Thanks.

onlythelonelyloveonlythelonelylove7 months ago

What is the saying…? There are second acts but there are no third acts…?

AileyInnAileyInn7 months ago

Thought provoking. Sometimes, love and maturity makes you overlook such, or you go into a state of denial. Maturity could mean lack of maturity, too. Sometimes shit just happens. Sometimes we get over it. Sometimes we don’t.

goodshoes2goodshoes27 months ago

Answer to "second chance"? Hell no.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJ7 months ago

I would have visited severe punishment on Todd rather than let him slink away. He knew what he was doing then got scared when he thought there might be repercussions.

Robby_DRobby_D7 months ago

It wasn't a bad story, but it read more like a narrative than a story. It needed a bit more dramatic tension to give it some interest.

BeBopper99BeBopper997 months ago

5* The wife's confession is commendable, but a post-nup is mandatory.

Mibal_ZahariMibal_Zahari7 months ago

This is part of the classic pattern of "am I better off with her or without her?" In the context of this story, the cheating was unplanned and there was no cover up performed by the wife. It was an immediate confession and seeking atonement. That demonstrated honesty and contrition on her part. Had time passed and the husband found out about it later, there would have been deception, contempt, disrespect and there would have been no chance at reconciliation.

/

All in all, this was well put together.

LT56linebackerLT56linebacker7 months ago

no problem, the Bear loves happy endings. It's a hell of a way to get there, though. Husband is a good man, and there aren't many of us left. 5 stars, The Bear approves. More, please.

The BEAR

Mac_LapuMac_Lapu7 months ago

Well, that was good.

The husband forgave the MC.

And it was only one time and MC admitted her mistake and no date-drugs invovled.

Good reconciliation story.

Thanks Regguy69

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

in this case, yes. very boring story though

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Stories in the LW section often go to reconciliation. In same cases, like where children are involved, it can be a logical choice. But in this case they were young, didn't have children and were probably not up to their necks in debt. I think he should have cut bait and headed for the hills. Trust is a serious issue. Besides, as a card-carrying member of the BTB brigade, I find stories that the couples go up in flames to be more entertaining, especially if they're cleverly written.

deependerdeepender7 months ago

Well done. The question is answered.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Another cuckold story of a slut that gets a second chance because the guy doesn’t see his value.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

One time is all it takes there are no ( Do overs )

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Thanks for sharing...

Believable, works for me 4*

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Absolutely yes. I've read all sorts and degrees of cheating in LW and this one for me is definitely not a deal breaker. There is no deceitfulness in Erin's heart, there is genuine remorse for what she's done and she is steadfast in her resolve to take the necessary measures to ensure that she never slips up like this again. That ticks all the boxes for me.

Franceman's definition of a mistake differs wildly from mine. I don't see how something you have no control over can be called a mistake. For me, fucking up something that you do have or should have control over is the very essence of a mistake.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Good people don't cheat period. It's not a mistake. It's a choice. She chose to drink with him. She chose to be alone with him in a hotel room. She chose to fuck him. No forgiveness.

EdgeOfSundownEdgeOfSundown7 months ago

If empty calories was a story, there's just nothing here. She betrays, begs for second chance, no details as to what she does to rebuild trust (though in all honesty you never really do.) And they live happily ever after. That's it...

willyk1212willyk12127 months ago

i was there once im divorced never got remarried that was it for me once trust is gone wow what can i say it was still good reading but highly un likly

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

I don't know if I could forgive her. She cheats while they're thinking about having kids, that doesn't bode well.

I believe in second chances but a grown woman, a faithful one, has to know that drinking alone with a man in his room then letting him in her body--disrespecting her husband in the greatest way--is one of the most heinous transgressions.

JJ1961JJ19617 months ago

A very fast and easy reconciliation. I would like to see more about the overcoming of the trust issues.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Sure, but not without a one-sided post nuptial that spells out future custody arrangements and I'd definitely want a free-use day once a week for the first year and then monthly after that.

buzzsawlennybuzzsawlenny7 months ago

One problem is the fact that she was fantasizing about this guy before she woke up in the morning and realized she had betrayed her life

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Epilogue: Erin smirked remembering how her ploy had worked and how pretending to be devastated by her actions had actually lulled her idiot husband to sleep. She'd fucked numerous guys over their marriage knowing now that she could use her sissy wimp cuck for whatever she wanted, a new car, nicer house and he'd just go along since he had no self pride or backbone. Hell, she was pretty sure he wasn't even the father of their son. His "second chance" was her license to fuck him over, which she did all the time with impunity.

silentsoundsilentsound7 months ago

Average. It initially caught my attention with a solid opening but was more like an outline afterward.

nixroxnixrox7 months ago

3 stars - alcohol is never a great way to celebrate anything - especially, if you are away from home. Having said that, I know from personal experience that sometimes events seemly beyond your control, get the best of your good intentions and fucks with your life. It takes YEARS to get over that kind of screw up - if you ever really do. It has been 45 years and we never got back to the intense loving relationship we enjoyed before the screw up. There would never be a third chance - no matter what the circumstances. Trust was lost forever.

What happens in Vegas - NEVER stays in Vegas and the truth ALWAYS comes out - one way or another.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

I really like it

AngelRiderAngelRider7 months ago

Getting over cheating happens way way more than portrayed here.

Frank66Frank667 months ago

Absolutely a second chance is warranted here. The story was written for that to happen, but there was no lying and no deceit. No affair, no sneaking around, no 'well we've done it once, another couldn't hurt'. She thought about being deceitful, but was too bleeping honest for that to happen. Good story.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Todd was an asshole lothario who needed his ass beat 19 years ago. He pushed Erin with the nightcap bullshit. Yeah she could have refused, but he was the instigator. I think Dave and his son need to take a road trip for some bonding time and catch up with Todd.

Wandering_MongolWandering_Mongol7 months ago

Short and sweet. Thank you!

-

Be well!

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

What is good about the story is that when she confessed she never explained yto him how great the sex was, He has no idea of the "massive orgasm" that the younger lover gave her. He has no idea of that memory that she will have forever and how she will be received she got away with it. So in some way he could get over it and a second chance is possible. It sonly in his mind how he imagines things went that would give him anger and nightmares.

For me, her admitting it would give her one point but working in that job would be a deal breaker. Doesn't matter that he transfers. She can still meet up with him at other work travel or even on the sly. She would have to quit the job.

As for family? No way. If I wanted kids then it is divorce. It doesn't say how old they are or how long they were married. If they were newly married and young I would divorce. Easy start over. If I had a lot invested in the marriage them it comes down to kids or not. If I could live with no kids maybe I give it a chance. If I want kids I need out as no way do I risk a divorce after kids. I say risk divorce as I would be a bastard to live with and she may leave me before I give up on her.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Not a "mistake." A mistake is forgetting where you left your car keys, because you pick them up and put them so many times every week. Or forgetting to bring home milk because it's a TRIVIAL part of your day. So, did she pick up and put down her marriage several times every week? Or was it so trivial to her that infidelity was acceptable?

She said she remembers everything. That's NOT blackout drunk, which means she still had volition. She CHOSE to cheat. The only influences on her behavior were ONE man, her own desire, and the strength of her character. And we know what she CHOSE. And how trustworthy she is and will remain.

Tomh1966Tomh19667 months ago

I liked it. One of the few that deserve a second chance. Confession before the catch and a drunken mistake. 5*

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Well written. Reconciliation, perhaps. Definitely a post nuptial. But, why are the excuses acceptable? The "fault" was with the alcohol, drugs, situation, etc. She knew what she was doing and did it anyways.

GardenshedGardenshed7 months ago

Good short story, particularly the beginning when she thought she was dreaming.. story had emotion written into it, it was believable. It was good Erin told David as soon as she got home. Any longer there probably would not be a way back in the marriage.

Thanks for sharing

60022Mallard60022Mallard7 months ago

It i9s the repeat of a mistake in so many things in life that really matters.

If we were not allowed to learn from our mistakes - not just relating to fidelity - we would be a poorer "society".

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

You should give your beloved women as many chances as they need to realize that you are the best for her and searching for anything else no longer makes sense. And don't you dare argue with me, you prim misogynists! Gabby

muskyboymuskyboy7 months ago

No second chance. So the "twenty years later" is very confusing, in fact, makes no sense. So she lied to him for 20 years or confessed when she got home, but not right when she got home.....

Grant_GlapsvidhrsonGrant_Glapsvidhrson7 months ago

While I love the over-the-top plots in a lot of LW stories, this one was one of the most realistic and believable. The plot is almost banal in how mundane of an affair and it was. That's not an insult, it was a real "slice of life" approach done deftly in a minimum of words. Any more and it would have gotten old quickly.

Well done!

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Nope. Eject, eject. Pick one of roughly 3.5 billion other women out there and have a better life.

Cito22Cito227 months ago

although i am a fan of reconciliation. this check did pay any penance. sorry.. i would need some type of "incident" to show that she was truly sorry.. She needed to call Toms wife and spill everything. Tell her HR department. and email blast the entire family and friends. Then and only Then would i move forward with R.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

This is just a fem-pov daylight dreaming: the statement "this wasn't planned, it just happened" is totally ridiculous. That WAS clearly planned AND needed, and the slut wife was still dreaming about it after the betrayment. So, this is not a second-chance but just asking from the betrayer to condone the free fvck. Totally unbelievable, unless there is a free fvck for all the parties. All in all, another cheating-cuck fantasy.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Oh, second chances are possible, especially when the cuckolded party is unfortunately still in love with the cheating party. But what about the "magic" in the relationship. I call "magic" that irresistible need to be near the person you love so much, to touch and kiss that person as someone special to you, and when you copulate it's far more than sex, it's a fusion of souls with sensations and orgasms... Once the “magic” is gone, it's gone forever, and it won't come back. Second chances are new marriages with some love, maybe a lot of sex, but no "magic". Is that enough for you? Certainly, not for me. I live for the “magic" in the relationship, it makes life worth living. It makes every activity, every moment together as something special. I need that in my life. Draw your own conclusions.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103x7 months ago

"Twenty years later, David and I were cleaning up" - This gives away the ending!

\

You switched back and forth between 1st and 3rd person POV.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

I like stories where reconciliation's the right way to go, and this's one such story. Yes, she cheated, but by telliing her husband, she was extremely remorseful & apologetic. She didn't try for any lame excuses. But I felt it was a once-removed story, no gripping power. And for that, 3 stars. Bob

ejsathomeejsathome7 months ago

Under those circumstances absolutely yes.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bc7 months ago

Little too short on depth for a top score, but every time I read stories with this plot line I'm forced to think what would I do? Too many unknowns in this story to go on - How long were they married? How was their marriage up to that point? Nothing to do with how I would score it, but I wwould insist on a postnup as BB99 suggests. 4.3*

MormonJackMormonJack7 months ago

Yeah, I believe in second chances. I'm the recipient of one myself, many years ago. Thanks for the story, and the question!

Dry_opinionDry_opinion7 months ago

Excellent short story. Strong emotions, sound logic, relatable characters. Loved it.

Thanks for sharing

dark2donut2dark2donut27 months ago

This story is a waste of space, there is nothing in it. Plot is a bland cliché, characters are sermonizing banalities, it all looks like 50 minutes high school essay.

Just_WordsJust_Words7 months ago

That was good. Second chance stories are difficult to write.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Pick a POV. It changed from 1st to 3rd with "Erin slipped off her chair and onto her knees, her head in David's lap.".

dt1784dt17847 months ago

Enjoyed your story, small critism that you gave away the ending a bit soon but st a good story

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Erin didn't wake up with a smile from dreaming about having made love to her husband David. She woke up with the memories of Todd between her thighs. I think this speaks to Erin's true mental and emotional status. What she immediately snapped to was her world was balanced on the point of a pin standing on the precipice between solid ground and a void.

Erin recognized that David represented solid ground. Todd is the void, he is her subordinate, junior in rank and years. Ungrounded and without solid foundation. Loose lips and she could be out of her job, her marriage, and her planned foreseeable future. Potentially no work, husband, possibility for a family, her life partner would vanish. Erin really had no choice but to confess and throw herself on the mercy of the "court". She knew her judge, she knew herself. Hiding her infidelity wasn't an option.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Of course, after 20 years of restitution and fidelity, its easy to claim all is well that ends well. But it does beg some questions. Why would the cuck husband allow the wife to continue working with Todd? Why would Todd not meet with an accident? Why no mention of a DNA test when the son was born? Why no counseling, especially considering the role alcohol played in the adultery. Did she continue to travel for work, and how was that handled?

\

As presented its just a recounting of a wife becoming a coworker's slut for one night, then getting forgiven and never fucking around again, supposedly. Who knows? Who Cares? Apparently not even the author.

26thNC26thNC7 months ago

I’m just not sure I could be as forgiving as Dave was, but the fact that she confessed immediately would be to her benefit. Either way, I would have a personal word with Todd.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

As the saying gous: When someone slaps you, turn the other cheek.

However, you only have two cheeks, so if that one gous... it is over!

In other words... everyone deserves another chance, but that is it!

Another good one is: If you fool me, shame on you, if you fool me again, shame on me.

Once a cheater, always a cheater, is a bullshit.

Prison records prove that.

Vast majority of people who end up on the wrong side of the law don't do it again!

So.... Well done, GOOD LITTLE STORY! 5

LenardSpencerLenardSpencer7 months ago

A very simple but oh so realistic story, of cheating. I know from experience there have been times when I'd "fallen" way back around 30 years ago. We sorted things out and continued. So for that I was forever grateful until my lovely lady passed due to complications caused by MS, about 5 years ago. Cheers.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

He would have got divorced based on what you wrote:

1) He searched his heart for forgiveness but there is none. (No forgiveness)

2) It will be hard for me to trust you again. (No trust).

Based on that, he would NOT give another chance. If he forgives her and trusts her, then yes, but your story said NO forgiveness, NO trust. Therefore, they get divorced. Your story makes no sense.

HelgamiteHelgamite7 months ago

One way to have a chance at a second chance, is to be open and honest immediately. Don't let your spouse find out the hard way you cheated, tell him/her and hope the love is teong enough. Just don't be angry or surprised if they say no more and divorce.

jmmj5jmmj57 months ago

Good one.

Forgiveness is hard, especially for something like that. That doesn't mean it cannot happen. This category often makes it seem inconceivable.

Well done. I hope you write another.

dgfergiedgfergie7 months ago

A good story and it turns out honesty was the beast policy. Sadly real life isn't always that forgiving. Some make it an some don't. The stats say anywhere between 15% to 50% of marriages end because of infidelity. Pretty sad stat. Why can't people live up to the marriage vows?

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

I think, despite hating cheaters, given that she was devastated by what she did and it was a one time drunken slip I’d have given a second chance.

But, before having kids I’d have insured on some sort of pre-nup. She slipped once and only time would tell if it was a one time thing. Given the way divorces work when kids are part of the deal I’d want some sort of arrangement in place to make sure I wasn’t screwed over big style if it happened again.

As to Erin snd her mother on the subject of if they would be so forgiving, it shows women are a little hypocritical in their thinking / they beg for forgiveness but their female ego would mean it unlikely they’d do the same if the shoe was on the other foot.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

I would have enjoyed giving you 5 stars, only your error of switching from 1st person to 3rd robs you of the extras, a shame really for such a simple editing mistake.

BSreaderBSreader7 months ago
Forgiveness

Is hard but Todd was to blame he knew she was married, there should have been retribution on him not just a move from one office to another. The coward.

Billy_Ray_BanBilly_Ray_Ban7 months ago

So often in the Loving Wives category, I've read both in the stories themselves or in the comments that read something like this: "If it had never happened before, and if this was a drunken one-of, and she confessed right away, and she showed deep regret and sorrow over what she had done, and if she took steps to prevent it from ever happening again, I could maybe extend forgiveness." This story was a perfect example of that scenario.

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinion7 months ago

I'm not certain I could. I hope that I could forgive her because I believe in forgiveness, when it is warranted. People make mistakes. She owned her mistake and Dave did have a big enough heart to give her a second chance. After 20 years it sounds like it was the right thing to do. The one thing I don't agree with is Todd was much more to blame than Erin. He proved that when he wanted to do it one more time in the morning. He wasn't drunk then. A little retribution and encouragement for Todd to move on to some other office or job would have been appropriate in my opinion. 4-stars. I liked it, just didn't love it.

Omart57Omart577 months ago

Very Good story, RG! I don't know if I could have been so forgiving. Thank for posting!

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Yes, in that circumstance and with obvious remorse and display of love for me, I could and would forgive. Good story merits a 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

So wimpy “forgiving” hubby lives life as a cuckold. Great. Did he get any “extra” on the side? Nope. No equity for him. He needed to do something that required her to forgive him.

Happily_Married87Happily_Married877 months ago

Good story I wish it was a little longer.

WwoodyWwoody7 months ago

It is obviously so much easier to forgive your spouse, and regain trust if he/she expresses extreme regret and IMMEDIATELY confesses his/her transgression, and not waiting till the deed is discovered.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

In the end, after the anger of the betrayal and the hurt are over, its not a matter of forgiveness, but the lack of trust that ultimately dooms a marriage.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Enjoyed the story, although the change in 1st to 3rd person was a bit annoying. Full marks from me.

Just to nitpick, Todd's suggestion of another go round after just addressing Erin's marital dilemma, speaks volumes about his intentions from the previous night. Erin was too quick to take so much of the blame for what happened, although she certainly was responsible for her actions. I also would have liked for the mother to address what was most likely unprotected sex with Todd and bring up the next day pill and STD issues.

enderlocke77enderlocke777 months ago

That was weird and void of emotion. Would have at least gotten a DNA test.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Hell no slut keep walking

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

You know that question at the end is a hard one.

To be honest Ive always said I could forgive if it was a one time drunken mistake provided that she told me amediately land didn't try to hide it.

But seeing how I was never faced with it I guess I will never know. Lol

BlueEyd2BlueEyd27 months ago

I do believe in second chances, but ... Marriage counseling should have been a major part of them working this out and rebuilding the trust and respect, and so should there have been a harsh post-nup.

oldmanbill69oldmanbill697 months ago

Better man than me maybe.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Drinking when spouse is not present is foolish.

When a husband knows he is not perfect, he is a forgiving husband.

A famous person once said:" "Let the one without sin cast the first stone."

My faithful wife of 50 + years told me that even the best wives get tempted.

When I asked how she resisted she said: "Everyday we show one another that our love is true, that we unselfishly are committed to use everything we have and are to do what is best for each other. It is all the little thangs that we do daily that keeps that clearly before our eyes. When temptation comes, it is simply knowing our love, which most people never experience, cannot be violated. When one has the best there can be nothing better."

Working on a marriage everyday is not easy, but necessary. I loved doing that.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

I believe that it depends on circumstances. This one may have been forgivable, but it’s different for different people. It appears that it was a one time mistake that was immediately admitted and that’s about as good a forgiveness candidate as can exist.

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShades6 months ago

Great Story. Thanks for your writing.

AllNigherAllNigher6 months ago

Loved it. Under rated.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Nice story. Four stars.

JPB

tralan69ertralan69er6 months ago

@sbrooks103x

"Twenty years later, David and I were cleaning up" - This gives away the ending! - You must have taken your brain pills today.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

At least she was immediately honest, remorseful and (hopefully) never unfaithful again.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Hmmmm points for her immediate honesty and sincere remorse, but it would be hard for me to look past this. What happens when she drinks a little too much another lonely night away from her husband and with another 'Todd'?

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userRegguy69@Regguy69
I try to read all comments and have never deleted any. I have learned a lot from the constructive comments I have received, thank you for those. I hope my efforts provide some entertainment for you. All of my characters are fictional and are not intended to resemble anyone, li...