Serena's Inheritance

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sure. I'm not a huge football fan but I guess I can learn."

"So, where are you from then?"

I loved the way she could hardly talk without grinning. I knew it was hard to tell so quickly but I just didn't see how we'd have any problems at all.

"I'm from right here, Columbus."

"Oh my gosh! And you're still living on campus?"

"Yeah, thought it would be fun."

A kind of far-away look crossed her face and she looked out the window. I debated about whether I should tell her or not. I didn't want to insult her or anything plus, we were getting off to a good start here. I thought I knew where that look was coming from so, I decided to just barge ahead.

"Listen," I said and she looked at me again. "I don't want to insult you or, well, whatever, but my dad was killed a while ago and, with insurance and stuff, mom and I got, well, more money than we know what to do with. So, we don't have to worry about stuff like that." I was actually a little nervous about saying it but it was said.

"I don't want to take your money." A serious expression crossed her face.

"Listen, you want to be a nurse to help people, right?

A shrug and a nod.

"So, when we want to have a good time, we can, and not worry about that."

"Still."

"I enjoy helping people too." I took a deep breath. "Don't steal that from me."

The smile came back. "We'll work it out."

No high-five this time, just a big hug.

"Okay," she said after the hug was over. "So, your dad died then?"

"Yeah, plane crash on a business trip. I was seven."

Her head dropped.

"I was eight when mom and dad split up." Slowly, her head came up and she looked at me, a sad and twisted look on that normally smiling face.

"And?" I encouraged.

"It was ugly. Screaming, shouting. We don't talk about it now but I think there was another man. Lots of ugliness. They fought over me. But mom wanted to move to California, with that man I guess, and I think the judge just let me stay with dad."

"I'm so sorry. That had to be so hard for you at eight."

"No harder than for you at seven I bet."

"So, I guess we're survivors, huh?" Maddie grinned. I could see that we were going to be good roommates.

*****

"Hey, are you going to Florida for Thanksgiving?" I was hatching a plan. Not a big deal but I hoped Maddie might like it.

"Um, don't think so. Not enough time to drive and don't want to blow the bucks on a plane ticket." I had expected that to be the case, thus my plan.

"So, you're stuck here then?" Thanksgiving was only two days away now and I'd already made the plan so I hoped Maddie would fall into it with no complaints. She had very quickly become my genuine best friend and I wasn't about to let her hang out here alone if there was any way I could prevent it. Thus, that plan.

"I guess," she said but, since I couldn't hide the grin that was forming on my face, she eyed me very suspiciously. "Serena, what's going on and I hope it's what I think it might be?"

"Probably is. I've already talked with mom and you're coming to our house for Thanksgiving weekend."

"Yay," she yelled and I got a huge Maddie hug. "I'm so lucky." I knew what was coming and didn't really need it but . . . it warmed me all over to hear it, particularly from her. "Aren't you going to ask why I'm so lucky."

All I could do was grin and hope my eyes didn't tear up too badly. I could be very emotional at times, watching Hallmark movies, TV commercials with little kids, pet rescue places advertising for dog adopters. Other things too. I loved animals, little kids and syrupy, happy-ever-after movies. Mom teased me about it a lot. Nothing I could do though.

"You're going to tell me whether I ask or not."

"I am, and I mean it. Over 7,000 freshmen here, make it 3,500 if you get rid of the men, don't know how many live on campus but, of all of them, I got you as a roommate. The very best and I'm thankful." She stepped toward me. "Tears yet?" she asked teasingly.

"Of course. I'm Serena. What did you expect? But thank you, and it goes double for me." We hugged.

"You know, when dad gets a little sentimental, and thinks about how it was with mom the first few years, he tells of how she came down the aisle at their wedding, just sobbing -- you could hear it all over the church. Can't wait to be at yours. I'm sure you'll be able to top that."

"You may have to wait a while. No weddings in my future." The way I felt now, after the summer, there may not be any weddings in my future, period, end of story. It almost made me shiver thinking about it.

"I may have something up my sleeve," Maddie threw in, a wicked grin on her face.

"Maddie!" I could just tell, from the first day we became friends, that she was figuring some way to match me up with a guy. "Don't you dare."

"Did you just say you dared me?"

"Maddie, you're incorrigible."

"That one of your physics words?"

"You'll find out when you're a nurse. That's how some of your patients will be."

"I hope not, but I'm sure you're right."

*****

Maddie packed up clothes for the weekend and we headed for mother's place. My place too. She still couldn't imagine that the house was only 30 minutes from school and yet, I lived on campus. I reminded her about what she had said, about all the students and us getting to be roommates and she dropped it. Even with what I'd told her about the money and how I worked hard not to spend it like I had plenty, it was still a bit awkward when the subject came up, whatever the form. I was sure that, over time, it would disappear as an issue.

Mom was actually home and waiting for us, which I appreciated no end as that often wasn't the case. She met Maddie, and asked her a few of the normal questions and soon, they were chatting away like Maddie was the daughter and I was the guest. I finally took Maddie to her room and came back downstairs.

"She's a doll, isn't she?" Mother had a huge grin.

"Even nicer than she looks, too." That much was totally true.

"That makes me happy, you know. Everything going okay?"

I live 30 minutes from home, everyone was getting cell phones, and I had to come home for her to ask me if everything was going okay. My fault as much as hers but, unfortunately, we both seemed satisfied with this arrangement. Still, it was good to get home and see her. After all, she was my mother.

"Going great, mom. You?"

"Good too." She stared at me for long seconds, a little awkwardly and in a way that sent vibes my way that she had something more to say. But she didn't say anything more. She took a breath. "Decided on a major yet? Still looking at Physics?" She screwed up her face as she said the word, "physics." It seemed to go with that word from more people than just her.

"Yeah, but haven't decided for sure yet. Still got some time and I'll be taking some physics courses next quarter so I'll have a better feel for it."

"What about Maddie?"

"Nursing. No doubt in her mind at all."

"That's nice. She looks like a nurse."

Maddie came back downstairs about then and mom went to the kitchen to finish cooking. I showed her around and she wanted to go outside and see more of the snow that had fallen last night. It was only about three inches but, when you're from Florida, that's snow. She walked around and kicked it, tried to make snowballs and groaned about how cold it was. She wanted to make a snow angel but I talked her out of that. If she was already cold, that would just double it.

When we came back inside, mom was putting dinner on the table.

As we sat down, she said, "I'm cooking tonight but I can't deal with tomorrow so it's being catered."

I cringed, grabbing a quick look at Maddie but didn't see a reaction from her.

We passed a few things, then dug in and, I don't know why I should be surprised -- mom used to cook all the time, it was delicious and Maddie heaped on the praise to mom's humble "thank you".

It was time for dessert and I knew mom would have something special.

"I stopped at the Wigwam today," she said, smiling at me.

I knew what that meant. The Wigwam had the best home-made pies anywhere.

"What kind?" I couldn't keep the excitement out of my voice and Maddie was giggling at me.

"Maddie, do you like Pecan?" she asked, looking away from me. She already knew my answer.

"Oh my gosh, are you kidding? Pecan pie!"

"Home made," I added. "You'll love it."

"So, have you guys learned to drink coffee at college yet?" She was looking right at me, of course.

"Mom, you know. How can anything that smells soooo good when you stand by the Grinder at Krogers taste sooo horrible when you brew it?"

She laughed and sent a questioning look at Maddie.

"Well," Maddie began. "If it's decaf I'm good."

"Caffeine in the morning but decaf at night. I'll get it started."

I knew mom had one of those new Keurig single cup brewers so it wouldn't take long. Sure enough, she was back with two cups of coffee in just a minute, and finally, carefully balancing three plates of warm pecan pie, she returned a second time and we were ready.

When we started on the pie, mom said, "Do you girls have boyfriends yet?"

"Mom," I chastened. But Maddie was grinning.

"Your daughter," she said, smirking at me, keeps her 'personal space' of about six feet in all directions so no guy can get near her." Mom grinned. "But I have a prospect." Obviously, Maddie was feeling right at home here already.

I knew her prospect. Charles Mangold. Chuck. I'd met him several times and they were so much a pair I was almost envious. Almost. Mom joined right in, surprising me.

"And you approve, Serena?"

I closed one eye and looked at Maddie. "I guess," I grumbled and she reached over and hit my arm. "He's great. It seems like God made him just for Maddie."

"I hope so," she said, looking back at mom. "He is really, really, nice." The look on her face told more than any words could.

"That sounds wonderful. Now," and she lowered one eyelid and looked straight at me. "Can you work on this one?"

"Mom," I said again and I think my face was a little pink. It was okay for Maddie to want to, well, set me up or whatever, but for mom to push like that was a little embarrassing.

She leaned toward mom, chewing away on a bite of pie. "Don't worry, I've got something in the works."

"Maddie, don't talk with your mouth full," I chastised, trying to sound serious. "And don't be finding guys for your best friend either."

"Too late now," she quipped. "The wheels are already in motion." Another bite of pie and a quick sip of the hot coffee.

"I hope you burn your mouth." I couldn't help but laugh and, as I glanced at mom, I could tell she was enjoying our banter.

In a few more minutes all three plates were bare and we were debating with ourselves about another piece.

"Just slivers," mother finally said, grinning, and receiving no refusals, just brought the whole pie into the dining room and sliced off three "slivers", one for each of us. Surprisingly, I had already added three pounds to my "lithe" figure that Maddie, in her tiny bit of chunkiness, assured me only added to my alure. Much more of the pecan pie and I would be joining her as a bit "chunky".

Slivers quickly devoured, I sat watching the other two finishing off their coffee, ugh.

"More?" mother asked Maddie.

"You having more?"

"Sure, but that doesn't matter. The Keurig makes it easy."

"Okay then, thanks."

We stood up to head for the living room.

"Can I help clean up and with the dishes?" Leave it to Maddie.

"Later," mom said, gesturing toward the living room.

We sat for a few minutes and I thought I could see a little change in the look mom had on her face. Nothing severe or drastic, just like a bit of a cloud was descending around her and she was uncomfortable with it. She saw me watching her and coughed.

"I need to talk to you for a bit, Serena."

"I'll go to my room for a while," Maddie quickly said, starting to get up.

"Can't she stay, mom? She's my best friend and already knows everything about me." Not quite everything. There was something I had been clinging to and wasn't about to share with anyone.

"No, that's fine," Maddie countered but I put my hand on her and pushed her down.

"It's not dark family secrets," mom said, coughing again and blinking. She looked at Maddie who shrugged. "I'm glad she'd such a good friend," mother added, reaching over and patting Maddie, rather lovingly I thought, on the knee. Mom took a big deep breath. Maybe it wasn't dark family secrets but I could tell it was serious.

"Did you meet Angelo this summer," she began, looking straight at me now.

"A couple of times," I answered. "Before I went to Auntie's and then just before school started."

"Did you like him?" I sensed a near pleading in her voice.

"I did, even though our meetings were very short. I did see how he was looking at you too."

"I know," she said, I think relieved at my answer. "There are more than looks though."

I was beginning to get the picture but, from the way mother was going, I sensed it was only half of the picture.

"That sounds good."

"It is, honey. It's very good." She glanced at Maddie and then back at me. "This will be difficult so just listen, okay." Despite the difficulty she spoke of, it seemed that cloud was beginning to dissipate.

I gathered, from the look I was getting and the hesitation in her voice, that it was perhaps going to be more difficult for me than for her. But there had been nothing difficult yet.

"He's asked me to marry him."

"Mom!" I fairly yelled and my face lit up. I jumped up and hugged her before she could say another word. Maddie had a gigantic smile. But, why was this difficult?

"He wants me to go with him to Florida where he has a house, and then to Belize, where he also has a house. He said they've been houses far to long and he wants to make them homes."

Those few words clearly spelled out what was difficult. And I did love the sound of the word, 'homes'. I really didn't know if I had inherited my fear of change from her, but I did know her life hadn't changed much in the last few years. Perhaps.

"Mom, that sounds wonderful. And, from the look I'm seeing, that's what you want too."

"It is, but I have a daughter also. It's not just me."

"Mom, even though you might not be able to accept it yet, I'm an adult and . . . "

Maddie laughed out loud.

"Shut up."

"I know but mothers aren't like that. You'll find out some day. I'm still Granny's baby and you'll always be my baby -- my . . . very special baby."

We hugged again. "Love you mom. If this is what you want, do it tomorrow. Don't wait and don't worry about me."

She laughed. "Not tomorrow. He'd like to leave in two weeks if I agree to it."

"Call him right now and agree to it."

"I'll see him, not call. Don't worry. But there is something else."

I was thinking but nothing was registering.

"The house," she said very softly.

Of course, the house. It had been my home for many years. Many years. But, without mother there, it wouldn't be the same.

"It's yours, mom. I hadn't thought about it before." Stupid. Of course not, but I was thinking about it now. There was Auntie's house and when it was mine, I wouldn't need this one. "You know, I'll be at school for nine months and then at Auntie's for the summer. It's silly to let it sit here empty for nine months.

"You could live here," Maddie, always the practical one suggested.

"It's a ways from school -- and Chuck. And whatever you have planned for me." Somehow, I just couldn't help saying that.

Her face brightened when I added, 'and Chuck.'

We could live here and Maddie would be living here free and that would save her dad a lot of money. I swallowed hard, hating to say this in front of Maddie but it couldn't be avoided.

"I can . . . buy it from you," I suggested haltingly.

"Don't be silly," I got quickly in return.

"Could you live here, Maddie?"

"Only if I could pay you some kind of rent." The bright look was still there.

Now it was my turn. "Don't be silly."

"Well, maybe then I could get a car and use the room and board money for gas and stuff. Food too."

"Perfect!" mother said, ending the discussion.

"I'm so happy for you Mrs. Chisholm."

"Thanks so much Maddie, and call me Denise. I won't feel so old. You know, I've just met you but it feels like I've known you . . . forever. And I'm so happy that you and Serena found each other. You two will still be together when you come to my funeral." She laughed.

"Mom!"

"Just a figure of speech, honey. It just seems you two will be best friends forever.

"BFF," Maddie said. I nodded and mom looked puzzled, then got it.

*****

I talked to mother several times in that two weeks and I'm sure I had never seen her so excited. She told me lots and lots about Angelo and the plans he had for them. Somehow, having Maddie along when I had Thanksgiving with mom just somehow changed the whole atmosphere. I shouldn't be surprised, I guess. She's just that bubbly, warm, kind and everything else kind of a person. As mother said, it just seemed like she had known Maddie for a long time and she certainly wasn't the first to say that about her. In a way, I was looking forward to living in that house that had been my home for so long, even though at times it seemed a little strained. But I was happy for Maddy who would be saving money. And I was way more than happy for mother. Maddy had already told her father and he said that, when she came home at Christmas they'd see about getting a car for her.

I'd miss her during that Christmas time but I'm sure not as much as Chuck would. I wasn't totally sure they weren't sneaking into the dorm room while I was out and, well, getting to know each other a little more . . . intimately. But that suited them. They were so cute together and I just prayed that it would last for a lifetime.

On the Wednesday after Thanksgiving I found out what Maddie had 'up her sleeve'. Chuck came to our room to visit and he had someone with him. Not a roommate but from the room next door.

"Hey Serena," Chuck said, sweeping the figure to right in front of me. "This is my friend, Markus Ilves." He paused. Nothing happened. Awkward. He nudged Markus.

"Hello," came the rather stunted reply. A floundering smile and a tip of the head toward me.

This was what Maddie had planned for me? I glanced over at her and got a silly grin. She wasn't helping.

"Hello," I replied, sending him what I quickly decided was an equally floundering smile.

"Markus is an exchange student, from Estonia.

Estonia rang a bell. Not a very loud bell. High school geography. There it was. Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia - the Baltic states, tucked in there right under Finland and Sweden How had I ever remembered that?

"Oh yes," I shot out, confidently. "Right there with Latvia and Lithuania."

Now Markus smiled a rather normal looking smile.

"Yes," he said.

So far it was going well. Not!

"Listen, I need to run to the bookstore for a minute," Chuck interjected into the vigorous conversation that was taking place. "Be back in a few," he said to Maddie and was out the door.

Something seemed out of sorts here and I glanced at Maddie. Same grin.

"Where are you from?" Markus asked in very precise English. At least I wasn't going to have trouble with his accent.

"I'm from right here," I answered, arms thrust out to my sides.

"Oh, from Co-lum-bus." Actually, he was so sincere in the way he was speaking it was hard not to like him, at least marginally for now.

"Yes, I've lived here all my life. Won't you sit down." He did. His sitting was a little like his speaking. Very precise but very, very stiff.

Maddie's phone rang. She answered, then looked at me. I just knew what was coming.

"Chuck wants me to help him pick something out at the book store. Be right back." She exited, door right, in what I knew had to be a carefully scripted scene.