Serena's Inheritance

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I realized I was still standing so I plopped down as casually as I could.

"So, Markus, tell me a little about Estonia. I'm afraid I'm clueless."

A puzzled look. An equally puzzled look from me.

"Cluu-lus?" he said.

How stupid of me. "Means I just don't know anything about Estonia."

"Not too bad there now that Russians are gone. Was not good when they were there. Has been 13 years now. I was seven when that happened but my mother has told me much about it." My father was killed by the Russians eight days before the independence." His face saddened a bit.

"So, you were seven."

"Yes, seven."

"I was seven when my father died too. Not like yours but still . . .

"I know. I'm sorry for you too. It's not good."

"But, you're here to go to school."

"Yes, my uncle. He's a good man. He stayed out of trouble with Russians and hid money. He has no wife and no children. So, he helps me."

Our lives could never be said to be the same but there were haunting similarities.

"You?" he questioned, gesturing toward me.

"My life has been good, Markus. Nothing like the Russians leaving in my life."

He laughed. "That's the way life should be. Other way is too hard . . . and sad."

"So, how long have you known Chuck?"

"Since school started. He helped me move in. He's very good to have as friend."

"I know. I'm glad he's my friend too."

There was a knock on the door. Did they think, after knowing each other for 10 minutes that we were having sex or something.

"Come in." It was Chuck and Maddie and I was looking at her, shaking my head, one eye squinting at her just a bit.

For the next few days, whenever Chuck would stop by to visit Maddie, Markus was with him and we would sit and talk. He seemed to be a nice fellow whose life hadn't been exceptionally easy but I wasn't feeling the sparks like . . . god, I hadn't thought of that for a while. So mixed. The sparks that lit the anger that had burned away my tears. Of course. By this time, I had told Maddie about it and she kept telling me that the anger wouldn't do any good, would just rot away feelings I had for so many things and would block that part of my life from ever moving forward. So far, she was right, about the blocking thing at least. My brain was telling me that I had to let it go but it seemed that my heart wasn't about to give it up. Markus was just the current victim of that but I suspected there'd be more.

I did my best and really got to like Markus. Just like him. He was a little insecure, in a strange country and all but, the way he looked at me let me know he was hoping. I didn't want to stamp out his hope, like you'd do with a little campfire when you were through with it, but I didn't want to encourage it that much either. Plus, I was confused. Was the way I was feeling caused by that near hatred that boiled up within me when I thought of what had happened to me, or was it just that Markus didn't push the right buttons and, no matter what, nothing was going to happen? I could limp along this way I decided and, maybe during the Christmas break I could figure something out.

It was the day mother and Antonio were leaving for their stopover in Florida. They'd be there a short while and, she said, he was anxious to take her to Belize to see the place there. I couldn't imagine my mother living in Belize but, she had told me several times that it would be a wonderful place to visit. I'd checked a couple things on the internet and thought she was probably right. She also told me that it would be an exciting trip as Angelo had his own plane. She had flown commercially, of course, but never in a small plane. He'd assured her that she'd be taking flying lessons once they were settled so she'd be able to pilot the plane too, maybe making quick trips to visit me when they were in Florida.

I cut a class and drove to the house to bid her goodbye. Angelo was there, helping her get ready but he disappeared when I showed up. I very much appreciated that.

"So, mom, you ready?" There were already tears in her eyes. Mine too, a little.

She shrugged and then hugged me so tight that I could hardly breathe.

"It's hard to change," she said simply. How well I shared her feeling. "But, I'm excited. An adventure for an old woman."

"Mom, you're not old. I'll probably be having a sister before long."

"Serena," she said, looking around to make sure Angelo wasn't there.

"You're only 40, mom. It can happen."

"Well, it's not going to happen." She looked around again. "Safe sex, you know." A giggle.

"I'm going to miss you like hell, mom, but I'm so happy for you."

"Good thing your Auntie isn't here. You might suffer for that one."

"I've never said it enough, but I love you, mom."

"I've always known that and, I know I should have done more for you, with you, whatever, over the years. I apologize for that and you don't need to say anything."

Angelo came through the door.

A last hug.

"Take care of this lady," I said, hugging him as well.

"I'll do my best. We both love her."

They were out the door and getting into his car.

"Love you," I called.

"Love you back," she answered and they were quickly on their way.

It was about 8:05 that evening when my cell phone rang. Maddie had gone to the library with Chuck to get a little cramming done for an end-of-the-quarter exam.

"Hello."

"Is this Serena Chisholm?" A male voice that I didn't recognize.

"Yes, it is." I was a bit puzzled of course.

"This is Sergeant Bannister of the Tennessee Highway Patrol."

A chill ran down my spine and my breath hung in my throat.

"I'm afraid I have to inform you that your mother, Denise and Angelo Gardini were killed when their plane crashed in the mountains here earlier today."

I collapsed, dropping the phone as Maddie and Chuck came through the door.

"Serena," Maddie screamed and she knelt beside me.

Somewhere in the distance I could hear Chuck's voice but quickly, he was beside me, lifting me and laying me on my bed. I could hear Chuck's voice again, then Maddie was beside me, sobbing along with me. What was I going to do now?

Chapter 3

The sun came up. At least I thought it probably had. It always seemed to.

Maddie was jammed in beside me. We'd lain awake until after 2, sobbing, talking, remembering. Finally, sleep had swallowed us both, thankfully. I don't think I had dreams or nightmares or anything. I could only wish that last night had been a dream, the phone call just a nightmare. If I'd dreamed, they were gone now. What wasn't gone was the feeling in my chest, in my belly, that churning that just wouldn't go away.

"Serena," the quiet form beside me said.

"I have to call them," I said.

"Can I help?"

More sobs. She was such a help in a totally helpless situation.

She made me sit up. She led me to the bathroom. She washed my face, then her own.

"Maddie, I . . . you . . .

"Be quiet," she said. "Are you ready to call?"

How can you be ready for a call like that? I'd talk to Auntie. I knew my heart wouldn't allow my voice to speak to Granny. Auntie would have to do that. Granny always said that no mother should have to bury one of their children. I sobbed again as Maddie hugged me once more.

"I thought sure I'd have run out of tears by now," I said to her, feebly.

She smiled, a warm smile, the warmth blocked by what had happened.

"You will, finally," she assured me. "And then, there'll be a new batch and it will happen again. I just wish I could be there for you each time it happens."

I sobbed again. Maddie was more than I ever deserved. She was like . . . well, I took a deep breath, like my mother had been when I stubbed my toe or cut my hand or . . . But this was so much worse, and she was there. She didn't know what I was thinking I was sure. I knew that eventually I would share these thoughts with her and there'd be more tears.

"Let's call," she said, taking my arm and leading me to the couch.

I held the phone but my finger refused to press the buttons. Maddie pushed them for me.

"Hello, honey. Glad you called."

"Auntie, mama is dead."

*****

There was a small Methodist church further up the road from our place. Maybe a quarter mile past the Anderson's house, Auden and Duane's house. I had been there a few times with Auntie and Granny and it just seemed more appropriate to have the funeral out here in the country, where the air was fresh, the sun not a strange color. Where the noises were birds and chipmunks and squirrels and not blaring horns and screaming sirens. She deserved to be away from the noise and distraction of the city. Plus, the cemetery beside the church had available plots and I had made arrangements for her to be laid to rest there. And, from the house, I could take Thurston for walks to visit the grave. It was a quiet service but there was a much bigger crowd than I had imagined. So much bigger. People stood outside, in the cold, as the church couldn't hold them all. They nearly surrounded the little building. I hadn't imagined.

There were people from the homeless shelters, both staff and the homeless as well. There were people from hospitals, doctors, nurses, social workers and I'm sure some who had been patients. There were others too and I had no idea where they might be from. I tried to talk to as many as I could but it was overwhelming. People loved her. They quietly and thoughtfully told me what mother had done for them, how she had helped, how she had cared. I alternately swelled up with pride, that she was my mother and I her daughter, and then shrank away, diminished in some way by not knowing about this, never imagining what was happening, nearly under my very nose, yet hidden by my blindness.

Maddie never left my side. I'd loved mother and I loved Maddie. She could never imagine how much.

I threw the first handful of dirt on mother's casket. Everyone filed by and added their handfuls. By the time it was finished, the casket was nearly invisible under the dirt.

We, Maddie and I, spent the night at the house with Auntie and Granny. There were surprisingly few tears then, but lots of shared memories. It was a surprisingly wonderful evening and night.

*****

The office was on the 17th floor of the Huntington Bank Building in downtown Columbus. Maddie insisted on going with me. Maddie was . . .

"You never know," she said.

The carefully lettered sign on the door read, "Bernstein, Barton and Joseph" and under it, "Attorneys at Law". We looked at each other, impressed, and then went through the door.

"Would one of you be Serena Chisholm?" the very attractive lady behind the desk asked.

"Yes, ma'am," I answered.

She picked up the phone and punched a button. "Ms. Chisholm is here sir. Shall I bring her back?"

A nod as she hung up the phone. "Follow me," she said, heading down a fairly long hallway. We didn't go far before she stopped and opened a door, indicating for us to go in.

A well dressed, carefully manicured and slightly older man rose from behind the desk and met us half-way across the very expansive office.

"Thank you, Karen." The door closed behind her. "Alexander Barton," he said looking from me to Maddie and back.

I smiled.

"I'm Serena," I said, ending his confusion, "and this is my best friend, Maddie Callahan."

"Hello to you both. Have a seat." He carefully sat down in the big chair behind the desk and began shuffling some folders.

The office looked . . . like a law office. Lots of wood and shelves and books. Thick carpet such that half of a shoe sole was swallowed by its loft, and big, comfortable chairs, wood and leather, the smell of the leather very prominent. And Alexander Barton just looked like a lawyer. Actually, he looked distinguished enough to be called a solicitor or barrister, things I'd read about in a novel one time.

"Since you've brought Ms. Callahan in with you, I assume you're comfortable with her hearing all the details that I'll be reviewing here." Despite his look and demeanor, Alexander Barton's voice was warm and very reassuring. Comforting almost.

"Very much so," I confirmed, giving Maddie a pat on the knee.

"Fine then. May I call you Serena?"

"Please."

"Serena, your mother first came to me when I was just beginning with this firm. I haven't known her well through the years but have always been appreciative of the trust she placed with me."

Another one knowing my mother in a way that was strange to me.

"She has been very thorough with all things financial and otherwise and her will is very complete and even contains bits of history that help explain everything here. I've been in contact with Kevin Woodsworth who was her financial advisor and he has briefed me on all of the financial intricacies of everything and has given me permission to share them with you. Do you know Mr. Woodsworth?"

"I know the name and I know he handles my things too, whatever they may be, but I've never met him."

"Well, you need to. He's excellent." He paused and smiled. "He handles my financial dealings as well so I can assure you, your mother made an excellent choice there."

"I think I'll just begin at the beginning, some fairly old information, and then proceed to the present." He shuffled some papers and cleared his throat. "When your father was killed, his will was very specific as well and even included what was to be done if he died accidently, as he did. All the possessions, those normal things, would go to your mother, house, cars, furniture, etc. The insurance money was to be split in two, half going to your mother and half to you. Mr. Woodsworth has handled both of those accounts since that time. Now also, since that time, your mother has been doing something else, unknown to you." He looked up at me momentarily and smiled. "A person is allowed to gift a family member up to $15,000, per year, tax free. Since your father's death she has gifted you $15,000 each year and it's gone into the fund that Mr. Woodsworth manages. However, she has also gifted that amount to your aunt and grandmother and they, in turn, have gifted that to you as well. I'm sure that was an agreement the three of them had entered into."

I looked at Maddie to see if she seemed uncomfortable, hearing all this, but she was just smiling. I think she was enjoying it along with me, and was just being happy for me.

"So," he continued, "since the time you were seven years old, your account has received an input of $45,000 each year.

"Wait," I interrupted. "You mean she's been giving me her money all that time?"

"It certainly appears that way, Serena." He was looking at the papers and nodding. "That comes to about $540,000."

"Now wait again. Sorry for interrupting. Do you know how much the insurance came to?"

"I don't have that paper in front of me right this minute but it was roughly one point two million dollars so, about $600,000 for each of you."

"Then she's given me almost all she got."

"It appears that way, certainly."

"And she's been paying everything along the way too."

"Not sure about that but it wouldn't surprise me at all, from what I've seen."

I was astounded. This wasn't the mother that I'd known all those years, but this was the mother she was. And more.

"Let me see now, it looks like your account, the original you had from the insurance, is worth about, well, roughly one point five six million dollars. The amount your mother and others added is around $540,000 dollars, which has grown to approximately $730,000 with Mr. Woodsworth's inventments. So, in total there, about two point three million dollars."

I looked at Maddie and she had such a huge smile I thought her face might shatter.

"And, I nearly forgot," he continued, "about $260,000 left from her share of the insurance that she's left to you of course. And the house and other incidentals as well."

I knew we had money but . . . I don't know what made me say it but I did. "I guess I'm a very well-to-do orphan." Maddie reached over and gave me one of her familiar hugs that I had grown to treasure.

"If you want exact numbers, just contact Mr. Woodsworth. And, you should probably see him as soon as possible anyway to ensure that everything is in order. I'm sure he'd like to talk with you. I'll be sure all the paperwork is in order here and will be in touch with you about signatures and the like."

I stood up to leave.

He looked at me, I thought a bit chagrinned.

"My apologies, Serena. I've been totally remiss. My sincere condolences on your mother's very untimely death. I can't imagine even slightly what a shock it must have been."

"Thank you," I replied. "It was a shock but you've helped the transition here with your kindness."

"I hope so." He touched a button on his phone and, almost immediately, Karen appeared at the door.

"Follow me," she said and led us to the front door. "So sorry," she added.

Another thank you and we were on the way . . . to my new house that certainly wouldn't be the same as I had been used to.

*****

My budding Albert Einstein, Richard Feynman or Stephan Hawking bursting into full bloom was about as likely as my falling in love at first sight with . . . well, not very likely. Regarding the former, I decided that physics was just a bad dream I'd had and I would declare a business major when the next quarter began. I might, one day, want to open a boutique store of some kind, shoes, dresses or something of that nature. Or maybe a coffee shop, like those Starbucks places that were beginning to show up everywhere it seemed. For the latter, Markus was still there, his presence made less prominent by my leaving the dorm and living at my house. We met on campus sometimes, but most of those occasions had gotten to be rather . . . stiff and stumbling at best. It was probably me as I really had no special feelings for him, despite Chuck and Maddie's efforts to promote something that just wasn't there, Maddie much less so than Chuck.

I had finally decided that I was going to somehow tell him that . . . well, we hadn't really dated so I wasn't breaking up with him as such, but that perhaps we should leave well enough alone and not meet any longer. And, speaking of stumbling, that would certainly apply since I had no firm plan or even a half-solid idea of what I'd say.

Spring was approaching and we were all eagerly awaiting those warm days as walking around that huge campus at Ohio State with the cold winds blowing was not a pleasant experience at all. Yesterday it had been in the 60's but today was predicted to be much cooler. Chuck was coming to pick up Maddie and they were going for ice cream or maybe a slushy at the Dairy Queen. I thought coffee at Starbucks might be a better choice, considering the temperature but they were adamant. They were bringing Markus with them to 'visit with me", ugh, but at least this would give me the opportunity to set things straight with him. It seemed strange, thinking that, as there hadn't really been anything with us or about us to set straight. I just needed to clear him from my life as he had become more of an annoyance than a friend or companion. Certainly not a love interest. I caught Maddie as they were going out the door and told her what was going to happen, encouraging her to make their ice cream jaunt as short as possible as this might not be pleasant, I was sure, particularly sitting there with Markus after my 'announcement'. She assured me they'd do their best.

Something had seemed to change about Markus. He'd actually flown home to Estonia over the Christmas break and when he'd returned there was just a subtle difference in the way he acted, spoke and responded to things. I was sure that had no effect on my decision to cut things off with him -- that had been made in my mind some time ago - but I think it might have reinforced the validity of what I was going to do.