All Comments on 'Settling Through Life'

by moreandmore

Sort by:
  • 128 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago

Beautifully realistic tale about broken people. 5*

WhackdoodleWhackdoodlealmost 4 years ago
This was...ugly; but I’m not sure who was the real villain.

Throughout the whole story, you wrote Marcie in such a way as to show hubby nothing but contempt-devoid of any semblance of affection until a diary that literally had ZERO reason to exist showed up and caused him to file for divorce.

Not her behaviour, not her attitude, not the contemptible way she treated her husband; but because he read someone’s diary that was incredibly detailed and waaaay to convenient.

You never explained why Marcie was so in love with Oscar or why she married his barely adequate replacement. Instead you made hubby the perfect tragic character, trying to exploit or sympathy for him when in reality, he should have done something about her attitude sooner.

As it is, this story tries to hard and fails to clarify who is the hero and whom is the villain.

Huedogg2Huedogg2almost 4 years ago
here's a man that understands

fuck staying with some slut for the kids. They're better off

MichaelFitzgeraldMichaelFitzgeraldalmost 4 years ago

Strong story with honest emotions. Very good job.

MattblackUKMattblackUKalmost 4 years ago

Interesting story. Because if Oscar had said "yes" at any point, even up to Levi's discovery, she would have left him for Oscar. It was only because Oscar was a real gentleman that she hadn't left Levi high and dry at any point during their marriage.

PowersworderPowersworderalmost 4 years ago

It was a great premise for a story, but it's a shame the ending just fizzled out. This badly needed a happy ending for the neglected husband.

He spent two decades -almost his entire adult life- married to a woman that didn't love him. There is a massive difference between being with someone who is going through the motions and being in a relationship with a woman that's really into you. It would've been nice for him to finally experience the difference and confirm that he made the right decision in dumping Marcie.

Levi should have taken his fresh start seriously. Hit the gym to get in shape, then date lots of women until he found the right one for him. He'd been a loving husband and parent with a successful career, which makes him a good catch... and just the right age to snap up a broody thirty-something for his second wife.

moblanemoblanealmost 4 years ago
a thought provoker

I saw a lot of my thoughts and feelings in this story and NOT because my wife had an unrequited love as I am reasonably confident I am the closest to being the only man she has ever 'loved' in a romantic or sexual way. I sometimes wish I was as certain as 'Levi' is that there was another 'love' in my wife's life. I rationalize it by realising that apart from actually being previously(and unsuccessfully) married I have had numerous girlfriends between my divorce and remarriage and one very short affair during my current 45 year marriage. Great Storytelling 5**** Thank You

jasonnhjasonnhalmost 4 years ago

This was a very different kind of Loving Wives story, not sexually cheating but emotionally uncommitted.

He starts by saying neither of them are lovey dovey. That leaves a LOT of unexplored territory. Until he reads the diaries he seems OK with his relationship. HE is not putting that much into it either. Why that is, is complex. Did he want more? It doesn't seem like it. Not all relationships are a glorious love affair. Most are not.

So NOW, he knows the reason why, at least from his wife's side. It's certainly troubling. He decides it's insurmountable. Is it really? Maybe she has been exposed and has been shocked out of her disruptive fantasy? Maybe better late than never? Where might their relationship go from here? As much as his wife was "stuck" with her young romance, HE is now "stuck" in his conviction that their life together was a fraud.

Is she now "unstuck"? Can he get "unstuck"? There are no easy answers, no guarantees. This is a story that steps outside the bounds of neat solutions and makes you ponder it. It is disturbing. Is it incomplete? Since there could be 1000 different resolutions based on the specific people involved, can there be "one" resolution to the story? It's a sad place to leave it but that's where some relationships end up.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
5*s

Wow 😲🎯hit the emotional spot ‼️

Definitely want more of this story.

Thanks moreandmore, ☺️😁....

AMerryman

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightalmost 4 years ago
I liked this.

It seemed possible, which is uncommon in LW. The guy spent all those years as a second place trophy. He didn't have a big titted secretary or lawyer waiting in the wings. He didn't find a wealthy, beautiful desperate younger women immediately. He did manage to gain back some self respect. Thoughtful and different.

The Style GuyThe Style Guyalmost 4 years ago
I disagree.

In the pre-story note, moreandmore writes that “no new ground is broken”. I thought this story is as original as you can get.

I enjoyed the description of her dungeon. It’s what every LW deserves!

5* from me. Thanks!

JayDiverJayDiveralmost 4 years ago

UNDECIDED.

Undecided is a good word for this story, is it realistic, yeah. Does it happen in real life, unfortunately, yeah. Will it happen to other couples in the future, yeah. Who's to blame? 60/40 depending on the reader's previous philosophies. Sadly, this story probably won't change any of those. Then the ending fizzled.

Some of the great marriages in history have been arranged marriages. Other great marriages have been a continual trial filled with relentless perseverance. America's divorce court is so flooded because women want Cinderella's prince with effortless HEA, and men want sleeping beauty or maybe Romeo's Juliet. A woman willing to die for them. Neither of those people are readily available. Romeo and Juliet is a love story for the ages, because it happens once in ages.

The man in this story selected and kissed his sleeping beauty. Only to find when she woke up, she was a sleeping every day woman. The problem is that he vowed to love and honor, for better or worse. Only to get part way through and find out she wasn't Juliet, and bailed.

Keep writing though, I always read you stories as they're posted and like almost all of them. Thanks for the story.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 4 years ago

@Whackdoodle, I disagree that the diary had literally ZERO reason to exist. Was it a plot device, sure, but we've seen far worse.

"Can you honestly say that you EVER gave me all of your love unconditionally?" - "I think so. -- She THINKS so?!

"Marcie needed a coffee pot, cups, and her beloved Hazelnut blend." - I guess she's accepting the situation.

She never physically cheated? Only because Oscar turned her down; IF she's to be believed.

If she loved him more than she ever loved Oscar, why did she keep reaching out to Oscar? It seems pretty obvious that if Oscar was receptive, she would have left Levi in a heartbeat. She's only upset because if Levi leaves she'll have no one.

Ending seemed a little abrupt. I would have like to see at least an ATTEMPT from her to explain how she could love him more than Oscar when she kept reaching out to Oscar.

tazz317tazz317almost 4 years ago
19 YEARS SHOWS A LOT OF PATIENCE AND STRONG WILL

a fluke discovers the lack of emotions through out, one must compare fiction and fantasy. TK U MLJ LV NV

silentsoundsilentsoundalmost 4 years ago
Interesting.

I'm curious about how they end up.

Thanks for the entertaining read.

PowersworderPowersworderalmost 4 years ago
re: jasonh

"Until he reads the diaries he seems OK with his relationship."

I think he just assumed Marcie's moodiness and irrational outbursts of anger were due to the "chip on her shoulder" and not directed at him personally. As soon as he found the diaries, Levi finally understood that her attitude was all based on Marcie never loving him and wishing she had married Oscar.

Being married for 19 years, having two kids, owning your own house... it all creates a massive amount of inertia that stops most people from taking drastic steps to make themselves happy. The diaries finally gave him the impetus to find a woman who genuinely loved him.

His entire marriage was a sham. The multiple attempts she made to try to seduce Oscar just showed the complete lack of love and respect Marcie had for her husband. I don't blame him for divorcing her asap... why waste a moment longer on a bitter woman who deceived you for your entire relationship?

Marcie says she loves him now, but she's a self-serving liar. The harsh truth was that Levi was the backup plan... and would always be second best to the first love of her life. If her feelings towards him hadn't changed after all this time, a sudden epiphany after being threatened by divorce is meaningless. Marcie still didn't love him, she just didn't want to end up a lonely divorcee.

"There was a lot of name calling and cursing from Marcie."

This line is important, because all Levi did was make a tasteless joke about all the times she failed to seduce Oscar... which everyone in the room knew was true. Note how she reacts. It's not with tears and remorse because she's heartbroken at having hurt her beloved husband. Instead she's furious, because he's mocking her rejection by Oscar, the man she really is still in love with.

Remorse and fury are polar opposites emotionally. If an unfaithful wife is begging for another chance and suddenly gets angry, it's a dead giveaway that she doesn't regret anything and the apology is basically bullshit.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Thanks

For coming up with a different approach.

Cheers.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Plan B - A life time in the shadow of another man

Good story! Everyone has an emotional need to be loved and desired. It's quite a shocked to the system when you find out after 20 plus years that the one you loved and committed yourself to has never had the same feelings and love towards you. You were nothing but their Plan B that they reluctantly went along and has been using you as a place holder all these years. Unknowingly, you've spent you life living in the shadow of another man. An idealized lover that's held her heart and imagination captive all these years and someone who'd she leave you for and has tried to do so numerous times over the years only to be rebuffed by the one she truly desires. How does a man compete with the fantasy she's built up in her head all these years? You can't because you'll always come in second place. She loves the security and safety net you provide and may even love you as a close friend or brother but that pales in the face of the burning love and desire she has for her fantasy lover. She fears being alone so of course she'll try and cling to you how ever she can but until she exercises the fantasy lover from her heart and mind she'll truly never love you like you need to be loved.

Freddog6601Freddog6601almost 4 years ago

Interesting story. This may be closer to real life than the majority of the LW stories.

I understand some of the comments about the ending of this story not being complete in one fashion or another but to me the open ended ending is quite appropriate for this story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
close to home

This basically was my life. I finally left.

KRD19254KRD19254almost 4 years ago

I think you wrote my marriage except I know she CHEATED at least once and likely twice more. But with kids and knowing how divorce court screw husbands, you endure what you must for the kids. Then you become complacent/comfortable in your grief; arriving at a state of living and routines, you just endure the loveless marriage hoping you win a lotto (for a clean walk-away). Then you get cancer and realize you wasted your life; I just hope our kids are luckier than you in love...

/

Marcie 'emotionally' cheated Levi for +19yrs, withholding sex and being a bitch at nothing Levi did wrong but not being Oscar. Marcie is lucky Levi was so accommodating to even face counseling. A continued emotional torture he never deserved (but counselors like lawyers need bill-able hours).

/

Thought provoking even being truncated; 5*, Hooyah, salute!

SkubabillSkubabillalmost 4 years ago

I don't know why you said in your preamble that there was nothing new here. I've been reading LW for nearly 2 years and believe I've read almost every cheating wife story in the category and have never come across this premise before. I hope there is a part two coming and soon. Five stars from me. As I read moreandmore more and more I enjoy his writing more and more. So please keep writing more and more moreandmore.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
What a Bitch

What a Bitch and her mother too. So self absorbed her mother had to write it in a diary. she could have spilled the beans way back. Why did she write it down. I guess she got her kicks doing it. Probably upset her whore of a daughter did not Physically cheat like she probably did. I hate people that plays games with lives. He did not do enough to her and she never did apologize..

BuzzCzarBuzzCzaralmost 4 years ago

A unique LW story is pretty much a unicorn but here we are with our very own unicorn to enjoy. Love the writing enough that I intensely dislike both primary characters. Excellent work. Thank you.

kirei8kirei8almost 4 years ago
You're wrong, It's not a " run of the mill story "

It had the potential to be one of the best stories on this site about emotional cheating. But then you got tired of writing it and ended it like chopping off an offending body part. What a shame! But then, I guess you have better stories on which to spend your time.

dragonmann72dragonmann72almost 4 years ago

Forgive me for looking at this story from left field. First I believe the story was more real than fiction, nobody was rich beyond means, perfect bodies and 12 inch cocks, everybody was just normal.

As I read through the comments, some praised Oscar at being a gentleman, he was as far from that as could be. Marcie turned him down so many years ago and instead of letting it go, after he came back from overseas he egged her on but never finalized it.

From the story, Levi is a catch, but she is still under the illusion that Oscar will change his mind. He's been gone for two years and her biological clock is ticking. After she changed her mind Oscar was going to let her know how he had felt.

Marcie says Levi proposed. She said yes but is now regretting it. What if Oscar wants her? There he was and he still wouldn't tell her to F-off.

Marcie says Oscar contacted her today through Facebook. She's in seventh heaven. She still doesn't love Levi. More about this later.

Marcie met Oscar for lunch. She was crying when she called. He's happily married and turned down her offer for a steamy afternoon of sex. Again after so many years he still wouldn't close her out.

Marcie wants Levi to go on vacation to Miami. She let it slip that Oscar lived in a suburb and maybe she'd sneak away for a lunch with him. Why do you think Oscar let her know where he lived if it wasn't to toy with her feelings still.

Oscar was Marcie's college sweetheart. He proposed when she was a junior. She turned him down, claiming she wasn't ready. After graduating, Oscar was no longer interested in her. Being rejected was something Marcie couldn't accept. Now the real reason for her thought process starts to come out. First she rejected him and now he will make her pay.

Confession time, She had met with him fifteen times. Most were lunches, but there were a few dinners in there too. The occurrences were mostly early in our marriage. Oscar then ignored her for over eight years. Why he reached out to her on Facebook wasn't revealed. Several times a year Marcie would call or email him. He would rarely respond. Oscar toyed with Marcie's feelings for at least the first seven years of her marriage, then nothing. Could it be that Marcie started to love Levi in that time frame? Then like a bad penny, Oscar contacts her after eight years and starts the rub all over again.

There was only one villain in this story, Oscar, and four rag dolls for him to play with. He didn't need to have sex with Marcie, he was already fucking her mind, and Levi wasn't smart enough to see it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
hmmmm

Nicely told, hope there is a part 2.

Its a sad thing that many women marry to escape their families, to build their own, to not be lonely, because of financial reasons, etc etc.

In the past this was a well known even accepted thing. Marriages were arranged, even through the mail, at best thru family.

I read recently in the US they estimate over 200,000 wives are imported each year in arranged marriages.

So while this take is sad for the husband, really, how many guys will ever know exactly why their wives married them? And, does it matter?

If they feel loved, and the guy loves their wive and family?

Makes you think doesnt it.

So this story was great at making you think, does my spouse love me as much as I love them, and what if anything would you do?

afanoffanlitafanoffanlitalmost 4 years ago

That feels very real on one hand, but his reaction seems pretty odd....no rage, no tears?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
interesting

The kids were quick to jump off the mom bandwagon and why does she so willing move into the "dungeon"? I thought she was written as someone more "strong" where when confronted with Oscar she would have a - who gives a crap response and she would stand her ground.

I also would have talked with her sooner. Just get the confession from her mouth and at some point you can tell her what you know and what you are going to do.

I could have lived with the fact that I was plan b but not once after finding out she offered herself to him, she set up a vacation to get rid of me, and she met for fifteen times with the goal to win Oscar back.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsalmost 4 years ago
I agree. This is new.

No fancy electronics, no listening in, just an unexpected diary from the mother. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that she did love her husband, but her ego demanded that she win with Oscar. I'll bet she would never have filed for divorce, and just cheated a few times to prove that Oscar made a mistake, but that's just a guess. It really does not matter. Cheating is only about sex. Either you are in a marriage or you are out. There is no in between. He might have been happier if he'd given her another chance, but I certainly understand his decision. Interesting story and I liked the kids very much.

TajfaTajfaalmost 4 years ago

Seems unfinished and that's a shame as this was a very good story. I've read diary stories before but this one was quite original. 4 would have been 5 but it needs a conclusion.

BeBopper99BeBopper99almost 4 years ago

4.5* A sad tale of a man who was not loved, but rather an option #2. She just wanted a husband who would provide for her economically and be a sperm donor. I do like the honor and integrity of Oscar. Actually, Oscar realized the girl was crazy and left. I actually met a few woman who only wanted to get an MRS degree in college. You lose a fraction because the ending lacked detail and Levi was left hanging in the wind.

Alberta  AlAlberta Alalmost 4 years ago
My Life

Both my wife and I were screwed up kids. I was desperate for love and affection and she needed to get out of the situation at home. I put up with a 2 night stand and forgave. She was primarily interested in herself. It shows in our children. I stuck around for them and in the end had a nervous breakdown , primarily due to her selfishness and thoughtlessness, before they were old enough to leave home. I am still with her due to illness and gutlessness and am making the best of what life I have left. But my children are better people compared with what they could have been if I had ended the marriage when I should have.

gordo12gordo12almost 4 years ago

You say nothing new and I call bullshit! :-)

Well written, thought provoking and original. 5*

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper6989almost 4 years ago
Not so different

I don't think most marriages call the problem Oscar. I wouldn't restrict this to just females. Yes there is something called "True Love", and there are some who found it and hung in there until the end. I would guess there are a lot of couples who have given thought to the one that got away. Thanks for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Good story

How many marriages become relationships of convenience after a period of time?

Marice was unhappy and took it out on Levi, who should have divorced her years ago, but he adapted becasue that was her nature. Sad.

Hopefully the kids will have learned the lesson and don't make the first mistake.

Another fine effort from Moreandmore.

Thank You.

ribnitinribnitinalmost 4 years ago

This is great. Original, well written, grabbed and held my attention.

Igni_FerroqueIgni_Ferroquealmost 4 years ago

This story interested me because it helped me think about a story I just finished writing, also about a husband who, after a betrayal, sends his wife into exile. Apart from that, the stories are very different, and I claim no similarity.

Is exile a punishment, or is it something else? In this story, the wife is exiled to a "dungeon," so that's hard to miss, and she clearly feels punished, so there's that. It's also a kind of purgation: the ridding of the body politic (or the home) of a threatening influence. Which is why it's interesting that the children gladly participate, and never seem to question or reconsider the justice of the move. The husband's therapist doesn't seem to question it, either, if I recall correctly.

I'm still thinking, and haven't drawn any conclusions, so thanks for giving me something to consider.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago

The author prefaced the story with a warning that there was “nothing new here,” but I thought the situation and sequence of events was pretty unique. Thanks.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 4 years ago

@Powersworder, I love this: "If her feelings towards him hadn't changed after all this time, a sudden epiphany after being threatened by divorce is meaningless." I could see if after a few years, especially without Levi knowing about Oscar, she came to the realization that Oscar was history and devoted herself to Levi. But carrying a torch for 20 years? Sorry, buh-bye.

FireFox59FireFox59almost 4 years ago
Liked It

After reading what he had discovered I can see why he would divorce her. She never really loved him. He was just a place holder until she could win Oscar back which she tried to do their entire marriage. Good original story. Thanks

cpetecpetealmost 4 years ago
Nicely done

m & m did nice job of having hubby work thru no need to be #2 in his own home

26thNC26thNCalmost 4 years ago

This is definitely a new slant on the cheating wife story. I've read probably 1500 LW stories and never have I read one like this. Accidentally finding that your wife has loved another man for the entirety of your 20 year marriage has to be shocking. Levi saw her sudden desperation to save the marriage for the lie that it was. She was not only not going to have Oscar, but would be without Levi too. She has to live without love that never was , and the loss of the real love she could have had for a lifetime. A great ending would be for him to find that woman who gives him the love he has missed. A great story moreandmore, you have set your personal bar very high with this one.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
she never tried

she promised to "Do everything to win him back"

All she did was cry, plead, bitch, and moan. Acting like a helpless victim one minute, and then a justified bitch the next. Both are responses of an entitled and toxic person.

She's NOT the victim, and she's a full grown adult woman. She's one sick puppy, and she deserved a lot worse than her husband simply divorcing her calmly. A sham marriage for almost 20 years. Constantly hitting on her ex while a married woman. And add to that how she used him as a verbal punching bag, and treating him more like a roommate than husband for a large portion of their marriage....only to find out why 20 years later.

she could have offered him a threesome? offered to NOT bitch him out when he laughed at her or tried to make her upset. HUMILIATE herself. She was above literally any viable option. She was too good to try, so now she'll die alone with her children still loving her....but not respecting her. emotional cheating she is guilty of....BUT when you ACTIVELY hit on the other person....we can call it outright cheating. the fact that she was a loser that her ex rejected for 20 years is a moot point. You can emotionally cheat, and NEVER wish to sleep with the other person. She had a full blown affair...it's just sad and funny the guy rejected her.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
An interesting plot idea. Congratulations.

But actions speak louder than words, or they should.

"She's gone through life with a chip on her shoulder. Helga, and myself at different times, have suggested counseling for her. Not wanting my head handed back to me again, I've let it slide."

So it was a mediocre marriage that both he and Marcie participated in, in a half-hearted shallow distant relationship. I can see his wanting to get a divorce after the kids are grown, love affair with Oscar or not. They were miserable together. So why did Marcie decide she wanted to, finally, have a real marriage, but only after the divorce papers were served?

Based on her feelings toward Oscar Marcie appears to want most what she can't have. To want most what she now realizes she is about to lose. Marcie is mentally dysfunctional, and needs treatment.

And that would be a sequel if someone wanted to continue this sad tale. The kids as usual are the real losers.

It was original in several respects, and decently told. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the effort.

timrivtimrivalmost 4 years ago

A year after the divorce Levi received a invitation to Marcie and Oscar’s wedding. Seems Oscar had been divorced a few years earlier not telling Marcie, but still refused Marcie as he didn’t want to cause trouble in her marriage to Levi. He had had a bad divorce and didn’t want to put Levi through what he been through. He was really an OK guy but when Levi tossed her to the curb because of his bruised ego all bets were off. A year after the marriage Marcie had a son with Oscar and ended up happy with her “second” choice. You see Marcie really did love Levi, maybe not so much at first but over time grew to love him with all her heart. Oscar was her second choice.

cybojicybojialmost 4 years ago
This one hits close to home

Excellent story. To love someone and for them to not love you back equally is horrible. Hope this didnt happen to you. This is more common than you think and this is the first story ive seen touch a subject like this. 5 good work. Ending was rushed but enjoyed it.

fritz51fritz51almost 4 years ago
Was NOT "same old, same old"

Good slant on a often told problem on Loving Wives, that is a marriage in trouble. I'm betting that there A Great Many people out there who settled & have pinned away over a never to be love. Most probably didn't keep pursuing cupid's choice for them as this wife did, but many, many spouses hearts and ego would be severely damaged if it were known that they were the "B" option.

This very well could have a follow up, so think on it M&M, we'll be watching.

*****

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Such a realistic story

Some people will read this and just not understand. Settling doesn't mean you never could fall in love with the person. It just takes a lot of time. Foster care does this type of thing to people. Or maybe sometimes you've been burned four or five times by someone you loved with all your heart. Just saying. We could all use a little help with falling in love.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyalmost 4 years ago

Very interesting! I wish the husband had contacted his mother-in-law after he had read her diaries.

5

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago

I was so worried that second joint counseling session would turn this into a RAAC, but thankfully you avoided that tripe. I was a bit curious why he never asked her, if Oscar walked through the therapist's door right now and wanted her back, who she would leave with? She'd obviously lie since Oscar wasn't actually there, but it would be interesting to watch her eyes.

This was, in spire of your introductory note, a fairly unique story. I enjoyed it.

Thanks for sharing your talent.

Cog

taylorsamtaylorsamalmost 4 years ago

That was a very good story.

Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Nice!

Love that last bit:

"Through the kids, Marcie wants me to know that she's not dating"

If that was a real life I would love to know:

Why not, she was trying during the marriage, or is it because Oscar is busy.

Nice read!

moreandmoremoreandmorealmost 4 years agoAuthor

@dragonmann72

I didn't bother reading the comments yesterday, and was starting to think that I'd done a poor job of exposing the hidden agenda. But, then I read your comment and realized that there are people who read between the lines. Thanks for saving my morning.

ohyessssssohyessssssalmost 4 years ago
Ambivalence

I’m certain that most, including myself, would prefer resolution. Even though you may not find your next wife, there’s no reason not to have a good time. Enjoy life. Have a good time , and make some friends. Things might look a little different to you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Teenagers

Thank you for not treating the children as naïve and innocent as most authors do. And I do agree with the ending. Finding the next love will take time, but worth it.

BentNotBrokenBentNotBrokenalmost 4 years ago
Another deep 'page turner'

As always, hit out of the park. Original, realistic and thoughtfully designed to show compassion that, quite frankly, she did not deserve but shows the true heart of the author and his main character. Oscar played a role in stringing her along, HOWEVER, she made vows she should have kept - or not put Levi in a farce of a union. PLESSE keep them coming for all of your passionate followers, moreandmoreandmoreandmore

Rw43Rw43almost 4 years ago
To a rare Anonny

Thanks for pointing out the truth about only-slightly-fictional Marcie: she most wants what she cannot have. It takes Levi giving her divorce papers to decide he is the best thing that ever happened to her.

Now, please get a log in ID so I can give credit to someone with actual critical thinking skills. Anonnys in general don't stand out from the herd; they (you) ARE the herd. Be different; be real.

More and more, thanks for the thought-provoking story. I think all of us whose wives are not especially expressive always wonder if our girl feels like she settled. I stopped wondering when I watched my wife pour herself into being a great mom; even if she was disappointed in me as her catch, or more likely in my failure to be an awesome prince, she adored the children we brought up together, so I knew she wasn't looking for an Oscar.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
What’s Kicking People’s Ass About This Story...

Is its reality. Believe-ability. One needs not suspend much in the way of disbelief while reading this.

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreealmost 4 years ago

Nice.

A well crafted and interesting plot.

You did it once again moreandmore.

A perfectly enjoyable story!

Top ratings from me.

driv2u2driv2u2almost 4 years ago

Think he's going to grow old alone .

lujon2019lujon2019almost 4 years ago

"Think he's going to grow old alone ."

Better than growing old alone, married to a lying cunt who never really loved you

UltimateHomeBodyUltimateHomeBodyalmost 4 years ago

Wow. A most unusual occurence. I liked it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Very good!

Thank you...*****

LoejtcLoejtcalmost 4 years ago
Literotica's Version of "Gone With The Wind"

I loved this story because it’s unique and well written. A breath of fresh air in a genre of repetition. Plus it doesn’t end up with some wimpy ending orchestrated by two professional psychobabblists.

How can he not feel betrayed. She’s been trying to end their marriage since the day it began. She would have left him and her children instantly if Oscar snapped his fingers.

The best description of her is an emotional whore. She would have been a wiling physical whore but only for the fact that Oscar refused her.

I couldn’t help but think of Gone With The Wind as I read this tale with Marcie being Scarlet, Levi is Rhett, and Oscar is Ashley.

When the world collapses, Marcie finally realizes that Levi is and always has been the her world. A world she never appreciated. A world she walked through in half a daze always focused somewhere else. Now reality finally intrudes. Her eyes are finally opened only to watch the beautiful opportunity she held in her hand turn to sand.

Levi rebuffs her by saying “Marcie I don’t give a damn.”

WillowghbyWillowghbyalmost 4 years ago
Your Preface Comments

...are unnecessarily self deprecating. Possibly my exposure to LW stories is limited, but this one rings in as both quite well written and unique.

As to the commenters who insist that every loose end and every potential outcome be specified, I say, "Grow up." Sheesh, this is a forum for fiction short stories, not novels. Should the author take every character through their funeral? Maybe do the same for the kids - how about grandchildren as well? Fercrissakes, the author left room for a little imagination - so find yours.

Keep 'em comin'.

WillowghbyWillowghbyalmost 4 years ago
BTW, Love The Oscar Angle

Doesn't take Einstein level reading comprehension to recognize Oscar's revenge strategy. Beautifully kept in the background, M&M.

Keep 'em comin'.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
EVERY BIT OF THIS RINGS TRUE.....................

Levi handled his business like a real guy would. 19 years of being lied to, emotionally abused marginalized would and should result in his exact response. Nothing really changed in his relationship status except that he now has the hope of finding a true loving wife.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 3 years ago
I read it again.

This time it made me think back to the women I dated before I met my wife. Some of them broke up with me, but when I got married I looked back and wanted to thank them. They were a bad match for me and one was as manipulative as a woman can be. I didn't miss any of them. For this reason, the wife's attitude strikes me as something bordering on mental illness. Good story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Yep

Marcie has a problem with rejection and is willing to go the extra mile to get back what she lost. One thing I noticed was both Oscar and Levi were not willing to take her back.Other than rejecting his proposal, I'm wondering if she had treated Oscar with a similarly apathetic approach as she did with Levi and he realized she wasn't worth keeping.

Hopefully, Marcie will figure out it's simpler to work to keep her significant other than to neglect him and then scramble to get him back.

NitpicNitpicover 3 years ago
Minority

I am obviously in a minority as I think he should have given her s second chance,after all if it hadn't been for the journals,he would have said they had a decent marriage.

LetthatsinkinLetthatsinkinover 3 years ago
@Nitpic

The same logic would apply if he found out that she's been having a gangbang with 20 men every Sunday night. He would've said that they had a decent marriage until he found out.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Incomplete Ending

The ending seemed incomplete

kencorokencoroabout 3 years ago

Agree with dragonmann72.

Oscar is never a gentleman or someone with honor and integrity. He won't bother himself with Marcie if he is.

NVDiceGuyNVDiceGuyabout 3 years ago

Last first what a solemn ending. No resolution just long term heartache.

Great job portraying the anguish you would envision in a long term betrayal of trust. While the hurt feelings may heal the blast to the self confidence could be permanent

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

What a fucking cold hearted asshole

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Good decision. Through out the marriage, the miserable bitch carried a torch for her College sweetheart, who dumped her after she refused his proposal. Who was the cold hearted spouse?! Imagine 19 years of being second best in your marriage, with your wife still trying to get back with her College beau! No thanks!! He did the right thing. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Where the ending. It just hangs there! Disappointing.

etchiboyetchiboyover 2 years ago
FTDS. FTDS. FTDS.

Actually I’m joking. It’s fine where it ended.

5-stars

Pasqual_ClementePasqual_Clementeover 2 years ago

A good, but, very sad, story. I can understand from where the Levi character is coming from. But, it's sad that he could not forgive and move forward with Marcie. Understandable, but still sad.

-

Pasqual

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Understandable. Does she actually love him now or rather it's the same old story again: she can't handle being rejected, and now he's in Oscar's place?

He won't ever be sure she actually loves him. The relationship is irremediably poisoned, better move on.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I think the people who say he is an asshole have no decency or sense of empathy.

When you give 100% to someone who in return gives much less as she is saving it for another.... the fact he didn't murder her is enough.

Imagine if your son or daughter was treated like that..but then again if you think he is an ass the chances of you having a son or daughter still in contact with you and respecting you is slim . TC Ireland.

Grant_GlapsvidhrsonGrant_Glapsvidhrsonover 2 years ago

What is it with Nitpic and his\her obsession with shitting on your stories? It's creepy.

As for Levi, he was fully justified.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Just fate that he came across those diaries....what a slut....great he divorced her...could have been abetter ending though!!!

DrgwngDrgwngover 2 years ago

It is so very interesting that our society makes males, from jr high on, learn to deal with rejection, and the consequent divorce fromemotions, but yet coddles women about rejection the same way. Boys/men need to ask about dates, ask about proms, make phone call.propose, ban ring and son,, while females just stand by passively while men's emotions are on a yo yo. The damage done has been incalculable. Yet, now we honor feminism, make excuses wet the 39yr old wife has an affair, and so on. This wife simply used him for stability in life.....hypergamy, something many many women will be guilty of,it is in their nature. Society is moving in a direction to counter 70 years of toxic third stage feminism by having men drop out off the marriage pool. President Brandon has many more female assistance programs lined up to chase that vote. Google govt programs for women, then do the same for men, you will find more that a 15,000 entry differential.

jflindersjflindersover 2 years ago

I liked the story fine until the ending. The has no RAAC for the RAAC crowd, no real revenge for the BTB crowd and no moving on to live happily ever after for the "life well lived" crowd. It is well written, but leaves unsatisfied everyone who reads hoping for his or her version of a happy ending.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Interesting concept in this story. Usually your first “true love” does not result a long term relationship. This results in your future relationships not being as fulfilling. That doesn’t mean you can’t love that new person. You just don’t love him as much. Unfortunately Marcie kept pushing for a relationship with her first true love after she married. That was very bad! Once she married Levi, she should have not continued to chase Oscar.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

she was an alpha widow. many such cases

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Interesting concept, but the 2nd half flopped.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago
She cheated

She offered a man, not her husband, sex. The fact that man had some morals, and turned her down, doesn't negate the attempt. If I try to shoot you, and miss, does that mean it's not a crime?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

WELL DONE, HE HANDLED IT RIGHT.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

A story about when a guy found out his wife never loved him unti he divorced her .

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Pretty cold-blooded to"settle" for that long.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

There's no way two teenagers kept the secret of how Marcie was found out. The grandmother's pain for her role in this mess would have run deep...possibly killed her. It seems entirely possible that Marcie could have come to realize she loves her husband far more than she ever realized. It's certainly the husband's prerogative to walk away. He should not, however, assume she will always be there pining for him. Hopefully, he won't realize he really wants her back once he hears she's seeing someone else seriously. I've seen that play out twice, once in family and once in friends. The spouse who originally walked away ended up in grief and despair both times.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

She wants Oscar but he doesn’t want her & she can’t get it thru her brains. So keeping hubby around until Oscar want her is her plan, which fails. It’s ironic that her husband finds out about everything from her mother’s stuff she just had to keep.

I would’ve photoed the pages then had the talk during the time her things were moved. Also waiting as long as he did 4 the letter was rediculous. After a week, divorce time; she doesn’t want one but where’s the letter? As it was, she only gave it to him upon announcing his plans. Shouldn’t take that long; she didn’t produce it bec she’s hiding something, just like the years in her marriage .

That she didn’t do anything sexual with Oscar is only bec. he didn’t want to. The intent & desire was there, & is a form of cheating. Should he eventually want her back? I hope not. She says she loves him but her actions invalididate that statement . — Bob

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 1 year ago

Good story well told. The big question is, "Did he make the right decision?" and I suspect he did not. It seems that when faced with the reality of her fantasy, she grew up. Hard to say, but he might have been happier if he'd given her a chance. That's more easily said than done.

NoSauce4uNoSauce4uover 1 year ago

It would have been nice to read whether the protagonist did manage to find a woman that loved him or not, or if he eventually ended up with his wife again. These open endings are a bit frustrating since the story itself is short and without many clues about what could have happened.

My own opinion on the topic of the story is that divorce was the right move, giving the protagonist the ability to maybe find love or somehting. Marcy never truly loved him, and I think he was strongly affected by it, which caused his love for his wife to evaporate. If you are secure money-wise, you may as well divorce and try to find yourself some love. Better than to become old and depressive over the fact that you were always ranked #2 in the heart of your wife.

ZippityDoDaDayZippityDoDaDayover 1 year ago

I would have liked to have seen a reconciliation. But then again, I'm a romantic at heart. I think she fell in love with him over the years but was still pining for the idealized version of her first love.

rn2711rn2711over 1 year ago

Marcie seems to be fixated on the men who reject her. Once her husband didn't want her any more she was fixated on him. However the story reminds me on another one "Valentine Gift To Loving Wife" by someoneother where the wife finds out her fantasy was just a fantasy and she actually loves her husband.

I feel the story is worth reconciliation ending, but even if not, a second chaprter will be great.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usermoreandmore@moreandmore
A day without sex is like, um, just kidding. I have no idea. I am judged by what I've done and haunted by what I didn't do. I write stories in an attempt to entertain. If it evokes hate filled or non-constructive comments then I smile while I delete them. I won’t have you...