Silvertree Chronicles Bk. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Serius nodded to her, "I know. But if it helps our people as the others did then it will be a life worth living. I already know, no constitution items."

She nodded and smiled. The widows came out and stop in front of him and each held him for a few minutes. His mother kissed his cheek.

Brima looked into his eyes, "You do not realize it but you got his eyes. When you grabbed that blade. We will wait outside the war room for you."

He nodded and headed back with Majisa to see the Queen. She looked at him when he walked in, "Your father built this War Room for me and saved me multiple times. I have a daughter and two sons thanks to him protecting my life. He saved the paladin order."

Serius nodded, "The paladin order is over 1,000 years old but their absence from this war was a problem. My thoughts on the lack of progress on the land bridge."

She smiled, "I think the rules could use some tweaking. Getting women involved in the order. If they have children, they can still serve in the capacity that the paladins did in this last war.

Protecting the royal family and the heads of the churches when their numbers grow. The war was declared over in days instead of years because of your father's efforts. All of them are required to train two more students to help rebuild the order. I will pray on that matter.

Anyway, off of that tangent. Your father has thrown a challenge at you and every one of our allies in his will. He wants you to work to restart the Knights. There is much of the world we do not know how things are working. The dragons have some grasp but they do not have agents."

Serius looked at her, "How did he challenge you?"

She chuckled, "He set aside a separate fund with a billion gold pieces in it. He challenged each of our allies to match it. The fund to outfit and build up the Knights order. There have been a few here and there who have tried to do it. He wants you, when you are of age, to head up this effort. To use your title to work to rebuild the Knights. Finding those places that are extremely hostile and those that are not. Did anyone tell you about your eyes?"

He nodded, "Yes Majisa told me and my mother. Think it is a part of the Dragon Eyes ability. Probably going forward."

She nodded, "They are silver and Sapphire blue in color and black in the middle. They are unique. Your thoughts?"

Serius looked at her, "It would be a glorious opportunity to make a difference. It keeps me on the road and home at the same time. Thanks to the sword having a teleportation circle. But I have a task for the 2 of you. The Moon Bow heir needs to work with our dragon allies and recover the sword. It is an imperative to get done quickly. At least that is how Varus'Nor put it."

Majisa smiled, "We will work to make that happen. We know the importance of those blades and we do not want to leave that relic out there. Leaving a relic like that out there in hostile lands is not a good thing."

Serius nodded, "It is the most powerful of the Blades. They were planning on using it to fuel the Draco-lich experiments."

Majisa sighed and nodded, "What are your thoughts on the Knights?"

He nodded, "We need to find a headquarters away from them and maybe a few meeting places across the world. Places where they can return to our base in secret for meetings and pass information back."

Queen Majisa nodded, "I agree. We will need to see about getting something to alter your appearance to be human."

Serius shook his head, "No I should be able to adjust it but my holy symbol would give me away as Elven. An elf-blooded might be a different matter."

Queen Goldeagle smiled, "I will let you work with your enchanters on that."

He thought to Varus'Nor, "I have yet to set something to add. I would like to put alter self for the moment. I do not plan on that being the final item but something just in case."

Varus'Nor laughed, "It is set. I am glad to see you looking ahead. I can hear what you hear, or at least what you are thinking about what is being said so the conversations you are involved with."

The Queen pulled out a piece of parchment and pointed, "You would normally do this as an adult but as you hold the blade this is your contract to the family in regards to service to the gods and the crown. It was almost a given to you for being a cleric. Well, an acolyte at the moment."

He nodded and signed the contract. He turned back to her, "The construction continues on the main building but the studies continue. A lot of clerics were lost in that attack. Something else that was sorely missing in the war was the loss of over 50% of your clergy as 2 of the 3 were the largest churches, Your Majesty."

The Queen nodded and then broke protocol and hugged him. Majisa did the same but she whispered something to him, "Your choices are your choices, but listen to Varus'Nor. He has the life experiences of the previous wielders. He is a wise advisor. That is why the gods made the changes. To give their greatest heroes and champions a strong advisor."

He looked at her, "How do you know that?"

She smiled, "Your father told me of his wish for the sword in the future. He hoped the gods would listen. The new name and what you have said told me his wish for the sword was granted. He had hoped my father would look to follow his example.

He did not do so before dying. He was stubborn in his old age. He felt like he made too many mistakes that cost our people dearly. He dwelled in the mistakes of the past. Your father called him on a lot of it.

He spent his final days contemplating what had occurred and what he could have done differently. He did not have an advisor with knowledge of previous rulers. You do. You can learn from there triumphs and their mistakes."

He nodded to her, "Thank you for the information and advice. Was there anything else?"

The Queen nodded, "Yes, but it should wait until you are an adult."

He bowed to them both and left the shelter as it opened for him. He thought, "Did I just open the seal?"

He heard back, "Any shelter created by the sword wielder, you are considered the owner. You can open them and set access controls. There are dozens of them. One exists over a volcano. Four hold the eternal forge and work areas." He walked out to his mother and the other ladies. They headed for the door. He noticed Slaraxxa was not following.

She looked at him, "Time for me to return home. Take care young one." He nodded at her. She called all of them young ones because she would likely live for several millennia. They walked out front and got on their horses. He rode into the middle of the 4 of them and teleported them straight to House Silvertree as the Palace shield was down at the moment.

They looked at Serius and Brima shook her head, "Warning first."

He nodded, "Not a spell I will ever be capable of casting. It was a nice addition."

The house guards alerted the interior ones and they went in and bedded down the horses. The ladies went to the dining room and Varus'Nor spoke to him, "Let the ladies know you need the master bedroom alone for a few minutes to retrieve the journal."

He looked over as he headed upstairs, "Borrowing your room for a few minutes. I am being led to the journal." They nodded. He closed the door and sealed it off and was shocked to see all the sex toys on the dresser cleaned.

He shook his head and thought, "I hope I do not have the multiple wives' thing he did."

He heard chuckling, "It was worse for champions like your father and Eldar."

He walked him through the key to opening the secret compartment and pulled everything out for now. He sealed it back up and unsealed the room. His mother stood there red-faced, "Someone forgot to put a few things away but we did not catch you before you got up here."

He nodded, "I suspected as much. A party?"

They nodded, "A going away party for Slaraxxa. She told us she would be leaving after the will. I did not take them up on the offer to retire from the field. The other three did. As your father predicted."

He hugged her, "Try to stay alive." She nodded and he went to his room and spent time reading through the journal from cover to cover. Then his father's journal that he did leave behind.

He went through it and added those entries that were historically relevant plus a few from the sword. He went to sleep late and rose early to start another day. He stored the journals in his dresser for now. He left a note on the table. He stepped out without his horse for a change and nodded to the guard. He teleported to the Academy and went back to class.

Deca 3rd 8310

He had a visitor at the Academy; his sword sensed her before he saw the approach. Varus'Nor alerted, "Moon Bow's blade has made it home. It approaches now."

He looked over and the woman was a good century older than him. Maybe two or three. Past 150 years it was always hard to tell, even among elves until certain changes that occurred in there hair or wrinkles near there eyes after fertility time-frame had passed. She walked up to him and hugged him.

She whispered, "Tell your sword thank you for relaying the request. My sword changed names as well as gender. I thought it was odd, but I was told yours changed names as well after this happened."

He nodded, "Yes, Varus'Nor."

She chuckled, "Faith Unlost and Grolixan'Vixox."

He chuckled, "The grinning bitch?"

He heard Varus'Nor chuckle, "Your father as part of the ruse called her a bitch and she just gave a sly but wicked grin toward him before striking the blow. Your father had a hand in naming me. I assume the same occurred for her previous wielder. Giving the name choice I could see a change in the perceived sex."

He looked over, "I was just let in on the joke. Apparently, my father had a hand in naming the sword. He believes your previous wielder had the same. As part of the ploy to help sell her in wanting to get even with my father, he called her a bitch and she gave him a sly but wicked grin. Varus'Nor said given the name choice, changing the 'perceived sex' would seem appropriate."

She chuckled and nodded, "Knowing that I wonder if she somehow took over for the sword."

He looked at her, "Did you get a new special-purpose out of it?"

She nodded, "Yes, and an advisor of sorts."

He nodded, "That is what changed with mine. Might be occurring will all of them."

Serius thought, "You are not my father, are you?"

Varus'Nor replied, "I am Varus'Nor. Your father helped to name me after he died. As a dying wish was granted by the gods to ensure his will for the house would be done and no loss of integrity. I will remember those journal entries you write as you think of them. I stay quiet most of the time. However, I hear quite a lot from you."

He chuckled, "My sword says my father helped to name him after my father died. They hear everything from a direct conversation like this."

She nodded, "My sword finally answered that question after hearing what you just told me previously. I still think it is odd."

He chuckled, "Maybe she is just living up to her name?!"

She laughed at him, "Thank you again, you have classes and I am keeping you."

He nodded and stepped back and teleported off to the church.

Jana 16th 8321

Ten years beyond the required time required he finally said goodbye to the training facilities at the Capital church and the Academy. He spoke ten languages fluently and Serius was a breath away from being capped out in both disciplines. Thirty-three years to go before being considered an adult. His request for a transfer to the church in Quatarsia was finally approved. He might have come to close to crossing the line, but it achieved the results he wanted.

He had told the Grand Cleric 'Maybe I am the non-prophesied leader of the church who is supposed to take over before I become an adult.'

The Grand Cleric had glared at Serius and finally signed the paper allowing his transfer. The last of his requested gear had been finished 5 years ago. He could swear they Zirra was purposefully being slow in finishing some projects for him. He arrived home before mid-day meal much to the surprise of the ladies in the house.

He walked over to Zirra, "I would like the necklace you have been holding back on me now."

She looked up with a smile, "I told you before when you move away from the city or become an adult."

He sighed, "I am moving away from the city. I got the Grand Cleric to finally relent. I am headed to Quatarsia as soon as I am packed."

She went 10 shades whiter and yelled upstairs, "Brima! Brima! I thought you told me the Grand Cleric was going to keep him in the city until he was an adult?!"

He looked over at his mother as she came down and he just glared at her. She knew this revelation did not please him, not in the slightest. Most of the others were teaching in the Academy or at home having completed their studies years ago.

He was the last one to get a release and the church was the only holdup as others were sent to other locations from the church but he kept getting held back because of his age. He squared off with her as she approached and looked at the parchment on the table.

She looked at him and sighed, "I can explain."

He cut her off, "You think I cannot take care of myself?! I am casting tier six spells as a magus which I have capped out. I am almost maxed out in my discipline to the point I picked up another 3 languages from the boredom. I am running out of languages! I am starting to cast tier 9 clerical spells. Tell me of one other in this house including yourself who is not more self-sufficient if a battle breaks out?"

She sighed, "You are still a child."

He looked at her, "I got a horse to saddle up. I want that necklace Zirra."

He walked away from her which pissed her off. She swept his leg and he went tumbling in his full plate armor. He came up and threw a greater command on her and slammed her to the ground face first. He walked in and saddled up his horse. She came out with her nose bleeding from hitting the floor. He walked up and set the broken nose and healed her up.

He grabbed the reins of his horse and looked back at her, "I have read those journals and there are all of these entries about open and honest communication. That apparently does not apply to me. Maybe not to any of your children."

She looked at Serius, "Why can you not teach like some of your other siblings?"

He looked at her, "Maybe I will in Quatarsia. That is where the church is sending me. After I finally pissed off the Grand Cleric enough."

She looked at him, "What did you do?"

Serius looked at her and smiled, "Hinted maybe I was a non-predestined replacement for him."

She groaned and shook her head. He looked at her, "I gave him an extra 10 years, even to help train some who were older than me. It is beyond time to expand my training or teaching as others in my order have done. I am tired of living a sheltered existence. Do you think I have not noticed the off-duty house guards near the Academy and the church?"

She sighed, "They may have legitimate reasons for going there besides you."

He looked at her, "Not every day at both locations. Besides I go over the books and I have seen the outgoing pay increases."

She reached up and took his holy symbol off and extended her hand to Zirra. She came forward and opened the bag at her side and pulled out a new holy symbol that was mithril with the double crescents and a sapphire sky background.

He looked at her, "You enchanted a holy symbol for me?" They nodded.

Zirra looked at Serius, "It has happened that the necklace has fused into a chest when a holy symbol was present another magical item was added. We removed the non-magical holy symbol."

He looked at her, "That is for Champions and they are born after the previous champion died. I knew my father. Not as well as I would have liked but he made time for us when he was back in the city. I put this on and it fuses to my chest, you have to realize you cannot stop the will of the Gods."

She sighed and nodded. He took the necklace and put it on under his armor. He looked at them, "It follows a pattern in the book. Nothing happened."

At that moment all of the open portals, security walls, and doors all slammed into place. He turned back around and behind the ladies stood a very annoyed looking Corellon Larethian. He dropped to a knee and bowed his head and the ladies turned and saw him and did the same. He looked across and went from annoyed to pissed, "Brima you have been a valuable servant and agent to me. Why would you work to circumvent the will of the Gods?"

She sighed, "My apologies. I have read that journal too many times. I did not see it as circumventing your will as working to protect my son from his father's fate. So many champions have died before reaching a hundred or shortly thereafter."

Corellon Larethian sighed, "Rise all of you. You need to realize there have been heroes' in-between who had the same issue. Whether that necklace fuses to his chest or not made no difference. That sword is a responsibility. I sent one hero into combat at just a couple of years older than him.

We messed with her age and that was detrimental. She failed to learn to become a proper mother. Her son failed the Duchy; the first of many failures followed. This house is constantly hunted. Do not deprive or delay gear that would protect your house. Your extra guards have not protected him.

They are regrouping. War could start at any point on the border. The timeframes have been disrupted. They will start probing defenses soon. We promised the last champion we would be more hands-off. Especially in your sex lives. Dame Moon Bow was visited by my wife to discuss your conversation upon her return. After your encounter. What I say cannot be articulated, discussed, or written about in any manner after this.

Your mothers knew of your father's wishes in regards to Karti'Ros. He was not allowed to tell you but I see that nagging question in your head. Jarronus chose the new name for the sword. He released Karti'Ros who had held that position for 8,000 years. Your father died; his spirit lives on as an advisor to you and future generations. A new entity, Varus'Nor.

The previous Dame Moon Bow wished to do the same when she learned of your father's plans. That led to your questioning the sword about it. But you always have had a hint of doubt about it since seizing the blade. Since talking with Majisa and her comments about her father. He also selected you as the next wielder.

Everything Varus'Nor told you was the truth. It would only be a matter of time before you asked the question that would force Varus'Nor to lie to you. Not what he or I would want. He was being evasive because he could not tell you.

In a few millennia, another could take his place. He was not destined to die. His will was already set. If we had his destiny ending there, we would have had his last unborn children potentially set to inherit the blade.

We needed him to live. In a way he did. As such we have gone back to the days of Eldar. Finding more than one candidate on the field at a time. In some cases, in other branches of the house. He removed the last major Dragon threats from the field that we knew about. Other threats are forming."

He sighed and shook his head at the ladies. Serius figured while he had him here, he would ask, "What are your plans for the Paladin order?"

He looked at Serius, "Complex answer. The move into gestalts for champions muddied the water. Yes, when we start deploying a second on the field, they will also be a gestalt. That will require some adjustments to the rules. As to women in my order, this is a point that my wife and I have come to terms with. She will soon stop serving as my messenger to paladins.