Silvertree Chronicles Bk. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He set them down on the war table with some of his books and components. He saw his saddle blanket was folded on top of the saddle at the end of the table. All cleaned. She came out half an hour later dressed and looked embarrassed.

Serius looked at her, "No need to be embarrassed in front of me. I am a cleric. I have seen him naked before and was well aware he could not pull out of you without injuring you."

She looked at Serius, "You are so young to be a cleric."

Serius nodded, "I know, also a Magus Master."

She looked at Serius, "How old are you?"

Serius smiled, "Not old enough to have his kind of fun. I have over 30 years to go before that." She shook her head and went to walk out. His brother pushed past her as she went out. Serius pointed, "Your gear is cleaned."

Seriaxxa looked at it, stopped, sighed, and got dressed.

Seriaxxa shook his head, "I got it from both of them. Then I had to teleport to the two shields and walk from the edge of town naked to get here because Queen Majisa refused to open up teleport for me to come straight back. I couldn't use scrolls because I had them with my gear."

Serius chuckled and nodded, "Still, it is better than if I had to kill you. It is a special purpose of the sword I had no choice but to address the issue."

Seriaxxa sighed, "I will fix the problem. I have been ordered to seek a new house name with the Elven Queen tomorrow once I have squared the local accounts."

Serius nodded, "Better solution. I never wanted to be standing opposite of you but you did not give me a choice."

Seriaxxa nodded, "I know. I was reminded of House Silvertree history and just because I signed that form did not mean my actions did not reflect badly on the rest of the house."

He sat on the edge of the table. Seriaxxa looked at Serius, "What are you doing here?"

Serius smiled, "You mean when did I uncover the mothers of House Silvertree uniting against me? To keep me from leaving the city? At least until I was an adult? Also, holding back on the last commissioned item for over 5 years? Today.

I finally took the Grand Cleric to task about my requested transfer to the church out here. I told him I might be the non-predestined replacement for him. He was not amused. He signed my paperwork to get rid of me."

Seriaxxa laughed and looked around, "Similar but different."

Serius nodded, "No solid walls but that floor is deadly. The entire room. Early design. First with the defenses."

Seriaxxa looked at Serius, "How did you know how to get there?"

Serius smiled, "The sword did and it is the one with the ability."

He nodded, grabbed his gear and he walked him out. A few of his men had returned and they left with him. He closed the portal, sealed the area, and grabbed some sleep. Over the next couple of days, people in town heard about him after businesses started reporting being paid back for their services over the years. A broken bone here and there including two of his men who took a nasty fall.

Serius found the Duke and voiced his displeasure in the new Keep's location. Duke Strong Oak simply shrugged and dismissed Serius. Over the next 30 years, he did as he said he would. Serius picked up a class here or there including picking up 4 more languages including the exotic infernal and celestial languages. Teaching in both locations and expanded on his riding skills. Finally, the probing attacks began. The herd alerted local forces on several of them and then it stopped.

It went quiet for several months. This was followed by the assassination of 12 mages in the area and the capital in one night. Serius had gotten a copy of the list from the head of his order as an alert was posted to all clerics to report strange activity if spotted. Serius thought to Varus'Nor, "Do you know of anything that binds these casters together?"

As he read through the list. Finally, Varus'Nor responded, "You need to go to the palace. Half that group was enchanters who trained with your father. For security who worked on what aspects of restoring the shields and shield defenses was not known or made public, even to him."

Serius sighed and headed for the Keep. He knocked on the door and a guard answered. Serius pushed past him and he looked at Serius, "What do you think you are doing?"

Serius thought, "Varus'Nor, Send a danger alert to Strong Oak's blade."

He looked at the guard, "Waiting for Duke Strong Oak to arrive."

He looked surprised when the Duke showed up a few minutes later at the top of a set of stairs. He yelled down, "Any issues?"

The guard yelled up, "Someone who is waiting for you to arrive."

He chuckled and came down. He looked at the serious expression on Serius's face. Serius sighed, "I need you to take us to see the Queen now."

The Duke got on a crystal and had the shields lowered and raised as they moved into the capital. They teleported outside the palace district and then walked through and the Duke took them straight to the fourth-floor conference room.

Serius walked over and opened the portal to the shelter. Strong Oak looked perplexed. Serius stepped inside and sat down and waited. A few minutes later a very pregnant Queen entered the room working on her sixth pregnancy. He stood and bowed to her. She stepped inside. Serius looked over, "Seal room."

She was surprised by this and he sighed, "Sorry, your Majesty. I think it is time for you to move back into the War Room."

She looked at him, "Why?"

Serius held out a piece of paper, "Have you seen this list of a dozen mages who were killed in the last 2 days, Your Majesty?"

She sighed, "I compiled the list from guard reports."

Serius looked at her, "How many of those names were involved in reenchanting the 3 sky shields, your Majesty? The perimeter defenses as well?"

She grabbed the list from him and looked at it as her eyes went wider, "Did the Gods tell you this?"

He shook his head, "Varus'Nor told me that 6 of them were enchanters my father helped to train to restore the sky shields. Some of the 6 but he did not know which ones worked on them or if others my father or others trained did the work."

She sighed and walked back, "These six. Two on each of the three shields covering the towns and the palace district. There were 8 others and they were mixed up as they worked on the other perimeter shields including the ones over the human lands with these six. All 12 on this list worked those activities. Your father insisted on building all of the shelters."

Serius nodded, "I know I have all the locations. Map coordinates and heights. I can unlock them and set access controls but you have bigger problems, your Majesty. How do they know who? How soon do they come after me? Also, you cannot enchant them until they fail unless you enchant a second set next to them with a second set of controls.

You have less than a year, your Majesty. Before they fail. Then there is the matter of the other 8 enchanters and the perimeter shields. I am a cleric, not an enchanter."

She nodded, "I know a Magus as well. But not skilled to do this kind of enchanting."

He looked over, "Unseal portal. Just so you know my father did not record the names in his journal or who worked on what, Your Majesty. Varus'Nor knew the names."

She nodded and stepped out and motioned for him to stay where he was. She activated crystals in the room and then got on a communication crystal. Inside of an hour Majisa and four Silver dragons he had not met before arrived. They walked in and one appeared to be having a conversation with Majisa and she looked at Serius and asked pointedly, "You were made a champion?!"

Serius looked at the one who talked with her, "There is only one way for him to make that kind of guess and that is to be a champion."

He nodded, "One of your great uncles. I took over after my brother died."

Serius sighed and looked at the Queen who was shocked by this revelation. She looked at Serius, "Why did you not tell me?"

Serius looked at her, "Orders from the Gods, going on 30 years, your Majesty. I was supposed to wait another 2 years. I had not expected to be 'revealed' today. I was to stay quiet. Keeping a small profile. Helping out the masses but remain out of the center of attention. The blade will bring me enough attention soon. I have been successful for 30 years now at keeping that low profile."

She nodded, "I want you in the city and kept home."

Serius sighed, "I have my gear and a horse to get from Quatarsia, Your Majesty. You are in no danger to get locked out. The gods would assign another to the blade. They would know the same information."

She looked at Serius, "You have an amulet in your chest already?" He nodded.

She groaned, "It follows family lines."

Serius nodded, "It did. I was told they made a change, till under Eldar's line I would guess. I cannot say why your Majesty. I am a cleric. Take it on faith."

She chuckled and nodded, "Very well what do you need?"

Serius looked at her, "You need to secure or locate those other 2 enchanters and question if any of them have been turned. Also, any who knew of them or documents they could have gotten a hold of that would have outed them, Your Majesty. I need a contingent to go with me to the other 14 shelter locations. That would let me set access controls to those you authorize."

Varus'Nor interjected, "Yarian Goldleaf was interested in some of the forbidden magic in the draconic books your father withheld. Necromancy. He caught him trying to take a few of them out with him."

Serius looked at the Queen, "Varus'Nor said there is one name, in particular, to look for Yarian Goldleaf. He was very interested in some of the forbidden magic in the book. Even trying to sneak a few of the spells out. My father caught him."

She sighed, "He was reported missing over 10 years ago. His will was read last month after his widow gave up on him being found."

Serius nodded, "Those spells dealt with necromancy, your Majesty. I have enough teleportation circle capability to get to all fourteen locations. I just need someone to get me back to Quatarsia to get my horse. I can hit them all in one day. I need a security detail, your Majesty. No more than 7 with the horses would be best."

She looked at Majisa who nodded.

He sighed, "One other request. Nobody outside of this room knows that I am a champion. I am merely the holder of a sword that gives you access at this point. I was told to do my best to hide that fact and I was a couple years short of when the Gods wanted me to make it known. I would prefer not to get everyone's attention. Ordering me back to the city and to go into hiding is likely to cause that very attention."

Queen Goldeagle looked at him, "You are not an adult yet and I am concerned for your safety out there. Leaving you be with that sword and no protection detail is more concerning to me."

Majisa sighed, "I am sorry I did not handle that revelation better."

Serius smiled at her, "I returned the favor."

As he looked at his uncle who chuckled and nodded. The Queens seemed to be having a private conversation.

---

Majisa thought to her, "The gods put another Silvertree champion on the field. While Bahamut has set one for the last 32 years who is descended from that house through Jazzia. I agree he should be watched over and not out in the open. Yet your Gods allowed it, be careful about being too controlling on champions. They tend to rebel if you fail to listen to them."

Queen Goldeagle looked at her, "He is not an adult and while he may be skilled, we still have a duty to protect the young. His mother kept this from me. I will discuss this with her later, though I am likely to get the same answer, divine direction. I received none and I am also a Mother as well as his Queen who is concerned about him making it to be an adult."

Finally, they stepped out. Majisa looked at Serius, "Your uncles are going with you."

He nodded, "That leaves room for two more."

Majisa shook her head, "Just the five of you. You get in trouble just return."

Serius shook his head, "Does not work that way."

She sighed, "Who do you want?"

He looked at her, "Moon Bow and Strong Oak. I need to set access controls, remember? Two other ADULT Blade wielders to gain access immediately if needed, while I get locked into another prison...yet again."

The Elven Queen sighed, "She will meet you in Quatarsia. Duke Strong Oak can take you back."

Serius nodded, "I know, Your Majesty, you want me back in the city and locked away after that."

She nodded, "I do. Thank you for bringing this to my attention."

One of the dragons took them straight to the center of Quatarsia which meant they dropped all three shields for teleportation for them to go out. He had an escort going up to the fourth floor with no issues. He went into his home and packed up his gear.

His uncle looked around at the stack of scrolls and wands he had in different piles. Serius looked at him, "Free time."

He nodded, "Productive."

Serius shrugged. He went to his bedroom and pulled the four latest language books and he saw them, "Infernal and celestial?"

Serius nodded, "Some exotics. It helps with encryption. I know 14 languages."

He nodded, "I suppose it would. That is impressive."

Serius smiled, "That is boredom."

He got everything into two bags and stepped out.

His uncle watched in fascination as he pulled wands out of his wrist guards. He inserted two different ones. He looked at Serius, "Expecting trouble?"

Serius smiled, "Let me see, I have 4 dragons now guarding my movement to the chamberpot and around this city. That is not a red flag to anyone. Yes, I am expecting trouble, if you had only kept your mouth shut or talked with me first."

He chuckled as they went downstairs. He looked over at his horse and thought to her, "I need a stallion going forward. I know it is early but you are with foal and I am being taken away." She nodded her head and another horse came around. A deep chestnut brown color.

Serius looked at him, "Piarn. (Unassuming)."

He heard in his head, "Why?"

He thought to him, "Because I need you to be for your life and mine. At least for today."

He saddled him up, "I have another saddle in brown back in the city."

He got him saddled up and mounted. He waited for the others to arrive. Strong Oak waved Serius toward him and he moved away. He followed as did the others. Duke Strong Oak looked at Serius, "Why are we going down this road?"

Serius smiled, "Because we never go down this road. If we have any spies then we are throwing them off. I already voiced my displeasure at the Keep location. You left a gaping hole in the middle of it all."

They got just outside the shield and he switched to a human form and gathered them. Serius looked at them, "9,000 feet for the first 11."

They nodded. Serius got them into them and set security, examined the control, and cleared the areas without an issue. Number 12 was another matter. Varus'Nor alerted, "Danger!" It was a few hundred feet above the ground.

They immediately came under attack. His uncles went to work clearing them out. He opened the portal and was immediately set on edge. He yelled out, "Set all controls to me alone, security wall up." The others rode inside and joined him. "Seal portal." Varus'Nor alerted "Danger still smart boy." Serius set down another two crystals near the door, "Lower wall." He activated the two crystals and heard every door slam shut in the place.

His uncles looked around and Serius nodded and mouthed "Danger." He checked the control console and it had been smashed. He pointed at it and they nodded. He sighed and spoke in a normal voice. "Here is the beauty in this situation. All of the doors are sealed. The main room is open and they cannot teleport in. They could try and break doors but they self-repair."

He chuckled and they heard at least 10 doors trying to be broken through.

He called out. "Provide food to nobody." Serius stepped back by the door he thought to his horse knowing his uncles could hear, "Let us see what we have. Repeat that. Security wall up." Doors smashed on both sides, from the falls and master bedroom. He looked at all of the undead and 15 necromancers. He nodded at them, "Open portal." They went out, "Seal portal to only the blade wielder."

He looked at them as they flew away, "Someone gave them access!"

They went to the next one and it was a repeated attack. He flew higher and thought, "Come up if you need any healing. Repeat it please." After thirty minutes and exhausting most of his healing spells they managed to open the next shelter. Nothing was inside and the controls were smashed. Serius set access control. He looked at them, "One more."

They nodded. They got to the last one and did not get attacked, yet they found destroyed controls. He set the security mechanisms. He sighed, "I am out. Take us in down the road a bit from the capital if you would."

They divided up. Moon Bow and Strong Oak came with him. While his uncles went home. We came in about half a mile from the main gate. He switched back to his elven form with purple eyes.

They went in and landed. They rode in through the gate. They followed him all the way to House Silvertree. He arrived and looked at the guards, "Need entrance." The guard was new. "I cannot allow entry without getting authorization."

He nodded, "Get someone who has a clue to inform you of who I am."

He went off and another man came forward with a patrol and he immediately signaled for them to let Serius in.

The one guard looked perplexed. They rode into the main house. The door shut and Serius opened the portal and road in and called "Security wall down." It came down and they went forward. Zirra smiled, "You back for a visit?"

He shook his head, "Under orders from the Queen, back into a prison cell."

She looked white and he rode in back and unsaddled. Serius removed two arrows from his mount and healed him up with a scroll. He patted him on the side, "Cvetar (Ironwood)."

He heard, "I like that one better."

Serius patted him down, "Good work today."

He walked out, "We have a crystal to the Queen?"

Strong Oak nodded, "I have one."

Serius nodded. They walked out and contacted the Queen, "Your Majesty, are you secure?"

She sighed, "Yes, any issues?"

He thought how best to answer as he was annoyed at being locked up again, "Yes. Briefing tomorrow if you are up for a visit. Nothing I want to discuss in the open given what we found."

He heard her sigh, "Understand. See you tomorrow at the palace. FIRST thing!"

He looked at them, "You want to come inside or head home."

They both smiled, "Home." Serius nodded and stepped inside, "If you know the teleporter circle code and the shields are down you can use it. Else you are on the long ride back to the gate.

The Duke nodded, "Thank you, cousin."

He sealed the portal and put the wall back up.

Serius went back to the table and ordered up food, "Where is my mother?"

Zirra looked at him, "She was heading out on a patrol toward human lands."

He sighed, "I hope she is alright."

She looked at Serius, "What is going on?"

Serius looked at her, "The Queen knows. I was revealed by the new dragon champion, another one of my uncles apparently. She wanted me back in the city and locked away like fragile glass. I went to see her because of the names on this list and Varus'Nor telling me I should."

She looked at it, "Half of these are enchanters."

Serius nodded, "All of them are enchanters. Tell me none have been here."

She shook her head, "That portal is sealed to all but Brima and me." He nodded and walked over and opened it. Everything was in order. He went back and looked in the armory. He came back out after pulling the draconic books. He opened them and flipped through them. Everything was fine with the books. He took them and went to her room.