Six Women Take a Cruise Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She switched off the room lights and sat in almost darkness as the growling and barking continued. Something was out there that Duke perceived as a threat. She pulled an S&W 38 revolver from a hidden compartment in her coffee table and checked its chambers. After walking to a side window, she peeked through the side of the blinds but could see nothing. After another few minutes, Duke stopped barking but remained vigilant, glancing back and forth between windows and the door.

She rewarded his protective behavior with two dog biscuits and a vigorous rubbing of his head and back. Whatever it was, Duke took exception until it went away. She praised him and got on the floor to wrestled him. This was one of their fun routines. Duke always pretended to growl and carefully mouth her hands and arms as they played. He loved her and she loved him.

When it was time for his nightly constitutional, she let him out in the fenced back yard and watched him visit his favorite spots, taking his time in the new snow. He was relaxed and no longer concerned about any unwelcomed strangers.

It was a quiet night, but Hillary tossed and turned. Why did her ex try to call? Did he know where she lived? Why was her big boy so angry? Duke snored in peaceful sleep beside her bed. Finally sleep came for her.

***

Duke always woke her at 6:00am plus or minus a minute or two. He had an interesting way of doing it. He would see which way Hillary's face was laying, usually facing the left side of the bed. He would move to within an inch or so of her nose and snort only once. She always jumped from the blast of warm dog breath and said, "Alright, alright. Give me a minute."

She slipped on jeans, boots and her heavy goose down coat to take him for a walk. It was his favorite thing to do each morning. There were always new smells up and down the row of beautiful home and he didn't miss many. As they walked out of her yard, Duke stopped and smelled new footprints in the snow. They were human. And they led to her porch. Duke followed them around the side of her house where they turned and went down to the side street. Obviously, someone was there the previous night, probably trying to see her.

After Duke did his morning duties, she loaded him in the car and drove to the Vail Mountain Coffee and Tea shop, as she always did at 7:00am on Sunday mornings. Her Glock 19 9mm was in the car in a holster beside her seat.

Chris, the owner, welcomed her and Duke, giving the big guy a special doggie treat they baked just for their favorite canines. With a cup of her favorite blend and a blueberry muffin, she sat near the window, watching the early birds walking to the lifts. It seemed to be busier than usual with many Denver skiers obviously coming for the fresh power. Duke lay on the floor at her feet.

After a few minutes sipping the wonderful brew, she noticed someone across the street walking slowly toward her parked car. He was at least 100 feet away but she though she recognized him. He finally turned so she could see his full face. It was her ex.

The End of Chapter 4

12