Sliding Into Home

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thank you Jess for being the amazing person you are. I am so proud that you are my daughter."

"Really?"

"Yes really."

We pulled apart and I said to her "You can call me any time Jess. If you will have me, I want to be part of your life, and I want you in mine."

"I want you as part of my life too. I will talk to you soon Adam."

I leant in and gave her a kiss on the cheek. Jess relaxed in my arms as I did this. As we moved apart Jess said "I think I'll let you say goodbye to Mum by yourselves." She looked very happy as she headed into the house.

I moved across to Fiona. "Well this has been a big day." I said.

"It's been a huge day Adam. I'm so glad that you finally know."

"Me too Fi. Me too. We will have to keep in touch."

"It's so good to have you back. I've missed you."

"I've missed you too." I replied with total sincerity.

With that we exchanged phone numbers and said our goodbyes. I went to give Fi a hug, and she hugged me back. The hug felt right, just like it always did. I turned to kiss her on the cheek and she turned at the same time. I kissed her on the lips. My eyes opened, as did Fiona's and we kissed for a little longer. We laughed as we pulled apart. I leant in again and kissed Fiona on the lips for a few seconds. We both said goodbye again.

As I got to my car, I turned to Fiona and said "I'll talk to you soon."

"You'd better Adam." Fiona replied with a big grin on her face.

"See you soon." I said as I drove off.

**********

The following day the team flew to Adelaide and after checking into our hotel we went to the field to have a practice session. This was to stretch our legs and get used to the field for the upcoming two game series. After a couple of hours practice we went back to the hotel and cleaned up before many of us went out for dinner.

This wasn't a team dinner as our Manager liked the players to do what they wanted to do before games. Some players had room service and relaxed at the hotel, others liked to go out and have a meal. I went out with my two closest friends on the team Jared and Franco. After the events of yesterday I definitely needed to get out of my room.

Our meal at a nearby pub was very enjoyable and a couple of beers went down a treat. I was still a little quiet however. I still couldn't believe I had a daughter. Seeing Fiona again was so amazing. She looked great. Her smile still grabbed me. She hadn't changed.... Just then my phone beeped with a message. It was from Fiona.

'Hey Adam, Are you ok after yesterday?'

The message made me smile and lifted my mood. I excused myself from the table and went to give Fiona a call. She answered after the first ring. She sounded happy to hear from me. I told her I was doing ok and asked how Jess was doing. She said Jess was happier than she had been for a long time.

"And how are you doing Fi?"

She took a deep breath. "I'm good Adam. Really good....... Relieved would be the right word. Relieved to have told you at last and that you took it so well. Relieved you want to be part of Jess's life.... Also relieved you still want to talk to me."

"Of course I want to still talk to you. You know....... I wanted to see you when I came home but I couldn't remember your married name."

Fiona laughed. Her laugh hadn't changed and it took me back 19 years.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure Adam."

"Are you free Tuesday.... As I'd like to take you out for dinner? Just us."

"Are you asking me on a date Adam Maxwell?"

"Yes I am Fi." I replied.

"It took you long enough. Only 25 years." Fiona said with a laugh.

I laughed too. "So Fi, do you want to come out with me?"

"I'd love to Adam." Fiona said with a real joy in her voice.

We arranged to go out the following Tuesday night for dinner. I had to be in Sydney next Wednesday night for a make-up game. I would come to Newcastle on Tuesday and stay the night in Newcastle, and travel back to Sydney the next morning.

*******

The series against Adelaide went well, winning both games. We were on a roll now and fine tuning everything for the upcoming championship series. It was now certain we'd be playing Melbourne in the title deciding series starting in two weekend's time. I myself played well, but was a little distracted off the field. Fiona and I had started messaging and talking regularly. It felt great to be reconnecting with her.

On the Tuesday I drove to Newcastle I went and checked into a hotel, so I didn't have to drive home after our evening together. I put in a big effort getting ready for our date as we were going to a nice place and I wanted to show Fiona I was very interested in her. Showered sparkling clean, dressed as sharply as I could manage, good shirt, dress pants, good leather boots.

I wanted to give Fiona something as this was our first real date. I remembered when we were younger one of her dates brought her flowers, but she said to me later that she would have rather had chocolates. I had bought some chocolates that we used to like as kids to give to her.

I left the hotel and I drove out the 5kms to Fiona's house. When I arrived I was so nervous. It was right on 7, so I took a deep breath, collected the chocolates and went to the front door.

Fiona answered the door and she looked stunning. She was wearing a beautiful blue dress, almost matching her eyes. It was knee length, with a thin black belt around her waist. It had little cap sleeves and was cut square across her chest. The dress showed off her legs a little and they looked gorgeous. Her caramel hair was out and flowing down over her shoulders. I thought Fiona looked beautiful.

"Wow Fiona, you look amazing." was all that I could manage to say.

"Thanks Adam, you look great too." She said with a smile.

I handed her the chocolates and told her why I had picked them. Fiona laughed and was amazed that I remembered that from so long ago. We then made our way out to the car.

On our way to the restaurant and once we were seated we made slightly awkward small talk about nothing in particular. Looking across the table I could see how beautiful Fiona was. I was happy that we had returned to being the two old friends that we always were.

Conversation began to flow. Fiona spoke of her work and I spoke of my time in America.

She then quizzed me on my life in America, particularly romantically.

"Adam, I know all about your baseball career over in America, but what else happened for you over there. Did you have many girlfriends over there before you got married?.......... I can't imagine you living like a 'monk' over there for the 19 years you were there." She asked seriously.

I had always been honest with Fi and I was never going to change that, so I told her everything.

"Well Fi, I had three.......... real relationships while I was over there......... The first was with Bethany. She was a student at university who I had a couple of classes with. She was a beautiful, sweet girl, really funny and a nice person too. We really hit it off and were together for nearly 2 years. Baseball was taking up so much of my time....... She moved away to further her studies and we tried to do the long distance thing, but it just didn't work for us.

"The next one wasn't until I was drafted by the Rangers. I was playing high-A ball in North Carolina and I met Larissa. She was tall, dark hair, different to any of the girls I'd ever been out with. That ended when I got promoted to AA ball in Texas half way through the season. I didn't have a serious relationship for a couple of years after that."

I looked at Fiona and could see she was listening to every word I said.

"It wasn't difficult to find..... Companionship as a ball player. Especially as I was from Australia and sounded different to everyone else...."

Fiona smiled and shook her head. She reached out and took my hand.

"Then I made the Major's and concentrated on my playing as I didn't want to go back to the Minor Leagues. In my second year with the Rangers as you would know I met Kim. She had been to University in California at the same time I did. We didn't have any classes together but she knew me through the baseball games. We did have a couple of mutual friends however.

"It was great at first. We were in love. We married at the end of my third season in the majors with the Rangers."

I hadn't spoken much about my marriage and divorce, and I was finding it difficult to find the right words.

"Kim was working as a weather girl for the local news station. She liked the job and the attention it brought her. She liked to look good and being on TV helped that. Blonde, tanned, slim, with that sunny California disposition."

"I know what she looked like Adam." Fiona said a little tersely.

"Of course....When I was traded to Minnesota she managed to get a job with one of the stations there too. We set up our house and were having a good life. Of course I was away playing ball a lot..... I started to have my suspicions she was cheating on me..... Strange phone calls that hung up immediately when I was at home, whispered calls when I was there.

"Early in my last season for the Twins we had a game washed out. I headed home early and saw a car parked in our driveway that I didn't recognise. I went and peeked in through the windows and there was Kim making out with the news anchor of the station."

"Oh my god Adam..... What did you do?" Fiona gasped.

"I was devastated Fi. And so bloody angry!! I took my phone and snapped a couple of pics of them. They were completely oblivious to my being there. I wanted to catch them in the act, so I went around and blocked the back door with some garden furniture before returning to the front of the house.

"I made a bit of noise as I let myself in. Kim was half undressed and screamed as I entered the lounge room. I then heard a crash at the back door as the news guy tried to get out of the house by the back door and he couldn't get it open. I absolutely lost it at the two of them. He got away as he dived out of a window and ran to his car...."

"Oh that was terrible." Fiona said quietly. Her hand held mine tight. She smiled sympathetically at me and I returned the smile.

"Do you know Fi, I still find it ironic...... The weather girl was caught out because of rain." I replied.

"Adam I heard you were divorced, but never the details. Surely these stories would have gotten out?"

"No they didn't. Part of the divorce deal. She moved to another state, the lead anchor did the same, bit a different state to Kim. She got nothing from me." I said with a smile.

Fiona listened to my twisted love life with understanding.

"That is how my life worked out outside of baseball. I have been single now for over 4 years and I'm so glad to be home." I said.

Fiona then said "I suppose I should tell you about my life then."

"Only if you want to tell me Fi."

"Adam I lived with secrets for far too long. I don't want to have any secrets from you anymore."

"Sounds good to me." I said reassuringly.

"You know I met Paul at Uni. We fell in love and got married. He was so good to me...... He looked after me so well even though he knew that Jessica wasn't his. He really did love me and Jessica and I loved him........" Fiona paused.

I had to ask her something.

"Did Paul know Jessica was my daughter?" I asked quietly. It still felt strange to say 'my daughter'.

"He did...... I told him the truth before we got married. He had asked if you were still in my life and I honestly said no. I never expected to see you again Adam....... When you came home from University, you know when that picture of us was taken, you were so 'Americanised' I was sure you'd never come home. We chose to live like Jess was his child, our child........ Paul couldn't have children. He had a bad cycling accident when he was young. The pedal sheared off, he fell straight down and well.... You know."

I winced at the thought of such an accident.

"He was the sweetest guy and he truly loved me. I met him in the pub where I worked part time. He doted on me when he met Jess........ He did his Uni studies, while I deferred Uni as I was raising Jess. When he finished and got a job at the hospital, I went back to Uni when Jess went to school. I ended up finishing my Commerce degree and got a job with one of the radio stations up here in the sales and marketing department.

"I was building a career and Jessica was growing up so much. Jess would have been about 9 I think when Paul first started to feel something wasn't quite right. He did all the tests......... That is when we found out how sick he actually was. He had treatment and seemed to respond........ For a couple of years he was his old self. However he got worse very quickly. He fought till the end. That was 5 years ago........... I gave up work to look after Paul........"

I took her hand and she seemed to relax into me as I did this. Looking up at me she gave a small smile and continued talking.

"When he passed away I had to go back to work. I found a job working for the store I now manage, just working as a salesperson. They knew my qualifications so when the time came I took over the store. It is now running really well." Fiona said, now looking a lot happier than she did while talking about Paul.

She then looked into my eyes. Her blue eyes seemed to be drawing me in.

"And then my life got turned upside down again when Jessica's father came back into my life." She said with a giggle.

I laughed too. "I was so amazed when Jess approached me after the game and slipped me her number."

"Did she now? Hmmm she never told me that part." Fiona replied with a true 'mum' look on her face.

"Yes I was very flattered at first. But she had a different agenda...... She said later that you followed my playing almost obsessively."

Fiona looked away from me a little embarrassed. But then she turned and smiled at me.

"Of course I followed your career. You were my best friend and you were living out your dream. I was so proud of you when you made it to the majors with Texas..... I followed along all through your career, but only really watched in earnest when you made it to Boston.... To see you play for the team you loved as a kid was so good." The happiness on her face was so wonderful to see.

"Jess was wearing a Red Sox jersey with my name and number on it when I first met her."

"I told her you were my best friend and showed her all the pics of us together as kids and yes the one of her as a toddler too. She wanted the jersey and I got it from the States for her. That was after Paul had passed away....." As Fiona said this, the expression on her face changed. Almost like a realisation hit home.

"I obviously didn't hide the truth from her all that well did I?"

"In a way Fiona I'm glad you didn't." I replied with sincerity.

I then expressed to Fiona what had been worrying me the most since I found out about Jess being my daughter.

"When you confirmed that Jess is my daughter there has been one feeling that has plagued me most of all."

"What's that Adam?"

"It's guilt. Feeling guilty at not being around, seeing her grow. I also feel guilty at not helping out, particularly financially. Fi I had a reasonably successful career and was rewarded well. I would have helped out any way I could. If I had known....... If I had known who knows how different my life would have been."

Fiona took my hand.

"Adam you have nothing to feel guilty about, nothing at all. We gave Jess the best life and she didn't miss out on anything.......... I'm the one who still feels guilty. I should have told you."

I could see Fiona was serious about feeling guilty and that they had given Jess a good life. She wouldn't be the girl she is if they hadn't. I tried to lighten the mood a little.

"Guilt obviously enjoys company." I smirked. Our mutual guilt was drawing us together. Fiona smiled too. She knew what I meant.

The longer the night went the better it felt between us. Dinner was wonderful and the longer Fiona and I talked, the more I began to feel something other than guilt. Sitting there with the candle light flickering between us I could see how gorgeous Fiona was. All I could think about was how stupid I had been to miss out on being with her all those years ago, and how I wasn't going to waste this second chance. It also seemed to me that Fi was being a little flirtier with me too.

It was a fine night so after dinner we went for a walk along the waterfront. The moon was shining on the river. It was a perfectly romantic scene. Fiona and I walked along talking and laughing. Fiona's hand found mine as we walked and our fingers intertwined. I gave a little squeeze and she returned it, gazing across at me as she did. Our eyes met as we both smiled at this.

We walked along to the end of the river section, turning around to see the lights of Newcastle sparkling on the water. As we looked out over the beautiful scene, I turned Fiona around to face me and slipped my arms around her shoulders. Fiona slipped her arms around my waist as she smiled a little.

"I have had an amazing night with you tonight Fi."

"Me too Adam. I'm so glad we finally did this."

We moved a little closer together as I said "Fiona, I can't believe it took us 18 years to go out again. You are so beautiful, and......"

Fiona interrupted me by kissing me. It wasn't a long kiss, but it was amazing. We pulled apart and I could see Fiona's blue eyes were sparkling. She had a beautiful smile on her face, and I must have had a similar look on my face.

We came in together and kissed again. Lips opened this time and tongues began to tease a little. We held each other close as we made out, with the sound of the water lapping the shore as our accompaniment.

After a short while we came up for air. Fiona was still smiling so contentedly at me. I leant across and kissed her gently again. We then decided to head back to the car. I had my arm around her shoulders and she had her arm around my waist. We were holding each other close.

Travelling back home Fiona had her hand on my knee as I drove the car. Arriving back at her house, Fiona moved across and kissed me again.

"Adam I have had a wonderful night tonight. It has been the best date I have ever had." She said with a smile.

"I've had an amazing night too Fi. Easily my best date of all time. We will have to do this again soon." I said before kissing her.

Walking her to her front door I slipped my arms around Fiona, and leant in towards her. She immediately leant up and kissed me. I held her tight as we kissed again, tongues dancing together once more. I never imagined I would be doing this with Fiona again, but I could not remember a time I was more attracted to anyone.

We eventually broke apart. Fiona squeezed my hand as she went into her house. "Goodnight Adam. I can't wait to see you again."

"Goodnight Fi. Can't wait to see you either."

***************

The next morning I woke up early to a beautiful day. I went for a run and a workout in the hotel gym, doing my daily fitness workout to keep me as sharp as possible. When I used to workout I would visualise my batting, focusing on pitchers I would be facing, mentally watching their actions for tell-tale signs of what they were going to be throwing to me as I ran or lifted weights. Today however, all I could think about was Fiona. How good she looked, how fun she was to be around, how she laughed, how she smiled at me. I couldn't get her out of my head. Not that I wanted to get her out of my head.

Back in my room I looked at the time and noticed it was just 8am. I really wanted to see Fiona again. I had to be in Sydney by 5pm for our make-up game at home. But I had the rest of the day free. I knew that if I didn't see Fiona today I wouldn't be able to see her until the following week. I was heading to Perth the next day for our final away series on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Then it was back to Sydney Monday and Tuesday before down to Melbourne on Wednesday morning for Thursday's Game 1 of the Championship series.