Sliding Into Home

Story Info
A ball player's retirement isn't what he planned.
25.5k words
4.86
30.3k
85
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
demon160
demon160
502 Followers

Boston MA, September:

My cleats made that wonderful 'clickety-clack' noise as I climbed the stairs of the dugout and made my way to the on deck circle. It was a cool day at Fenway Park in the afternoon fall sunshine for the final instalment of the 162 game MLB season. For both of the teams the season was drawing to a close. Neither the Red Sox, nor ourselves the Rays, were featuring in the post season.

As I stood there taking a few warmup swings my mind wandered a little. Not only was this the final game of the season, but for me it was my final game. At 37 years of age and 11 seasons in the Majors, I had decided it was time to retire. Thoughts of my journey to get here swirled in my mind, and I smiled that I was finishing my career here in Boston. It was seeing a game at this ground that fired my imagination to play baseball as a child.

My family visited Boston while on a holiday to America when I was 9 years old, and I became addicted to baseball. Back home in Australia I started playing baseball and was fortunate I had some talent for the game. The visions of my career raced through my head; leaving home at 18 to take up a scholarship to University of California, playing in the College World Series playoffs, getting drafted in 2nd round by the Rangers, playing through their minor league teams in North Carolina, and throughout Texas. Making my big league debut down there, my first home run, 4 seasons down there, traded to Minnesota for 3 seasons, the very weird 3 way trade deal that brought me to Boston, the best season and a half of my career, being traded to the Rays where I have remained for the past 2 and a half seasons.              

I was brought back to Earth when I heard our batter called out strike 3 at the plate. Looking across at the scoreboard I could see that the game was all but over; Down 8-0, 2 out, in the top of the ninth. The ground announcer called "Now batting Number 25, Third baseman, Adam Maxwell."

I went around to the right hand side of the plate, took my stance like I had done thousands of times before, and looked toward the pitcher.

Hernandez's first pitch was high and inside, wanting to impose himself a little into the contest, as he always did. I just smiled. Second caught the inside corner, one and one the count. Knowing his pitching I just knew that the next would be outside half going further away. The pitch came just where I expected it to. Swinging the bat I caught a reasonable piece of the ball, hitting it between 3rd and short into left field. I scampered up the base line, turning at first before stopping and going back to the base. The left outfielder already had the ball in the air towards shortstop, cutting off the throw.

Our first base coach Tim came across and I handed him my elbow and ankle guards.

"Nice hit Adam. 2 for the day, good job. Finishing your career with a hit, just like you started it." He said as he patted me on the back.

"Thanks mate." I replied with a smile.

Red Sox first baseman Martinez heard our conversation.

"You retiring 'Maxy'?"

"Yeah 'Rique. Time to hang up the cleats."

He reached out his hand and shook mine.

"Well done my friend. Been great playing against you." He said with sincerity.

"Thank you. It's been great." I replied with a smile, shaking his hand.

The game went on and I took my lead off from first base. Our next batter, Jansen, got hold of the first pitch and launched it into the Red Sox bullpen for a home run. As I trotted around the bases I really took it all in. I touched home plate and waited for Jansen to complete his home run. We bumped arms and did the overly convoluted team handshake before heading to the dugout.

Turning around I took one last look around to take it all in. Walking back to the dugout I took of my batting glove. I saw a young fan standing near our dugout, so I threw the glove to her. She had the biggest smile and said thank you as she caught it. High fives, fist bumps and handshakes were the order of the day as I made my way through my teammates in the dugout to my seat.

I barely had time to sit down when our next batter was caught in the outfield. With that, the game was over. I took a deep breath and sighed. My 11 season Major League career was over. I had now officially retired. After the game everything was a blur. I did the post-game press conference along with the manager. I spoke of how lucky I was to have had a career as long as I did in the Major's and thanked the organisations I'd played for. I also mentioned how I was looking forward to heading home to Australia after 19 years living overseas.

Back in the clubhouse there was lots of hugs and congratulations from my team mates. While we hadn't had the most successful seasons since I'd been there, I still had plenty of friends in the group. About half of the team were catching a flight back to Tampa that night. I was staying a night in Boston to catch up with friends that evening and the next day. I was then flying back to Tampa to start packing for the trip home.

Returning to my locker there were two bottles of champagne waiting for me. One was from the Rays, thanking me for my contributions to the organisation. The other was from the Red Sox. In the note they congratulated me on my career and thanked me for my time playing with their organisation. Then curiously there was something else. The note asked if I was free to see the Operations Manager of Red Sox Baseball the following day at 10:30am. My curiosity was well and truly piqued. I rang the number mentioned on the note and confirmed I could make the meeting the following day.

After a good night out with friends and team mates, I headed back to Fenway the following morning for the meeting. Chief Operating Manager Ben and Head of Scouting Mike invited me in, and we sat together in Ben's office. We chatted about my career and the various organisations I played for. They confirmed that when I was traded from the Sox it wasn't because they didn't want me in the club, but to get the player they required they had to trade someone of value. They asked what I was doing when I returned to Australia. I had no plans at that stage, other than to finally be able to live in my house I had purchased in North West Sydney.

They went on to explain the reason for the meeting. Major League Baseball had bought the top tier Australian baseball competition, the Australian Baseball League (ABL). They were expanding the competition to eight teams and the bigger MLB clubs were having an affiliate team in the ABL. The Red Sox were now affiliated with the Sydney Blue Sox. Mike and Ben were interested to see if I wanted to play for them and act as a scout spotting talent for them.

Everything they presented sounded good to me. The season was short, only 3 months, December, January and February. Prospects from the Major League club would be playing with the team, along with local Australian talent. Experienced Boston coach Tim Beaufort was going to be the manager for at least the first season. They wanted an experienced big leaguer to lead the team and the fact that I was Australian was even better. The financial package they offered was also quite lucrative.

I signed right there for one season with an option for a second season as a player. If I didn't want to continue playing after the first season there were options to just scout, or possibly even manage the team at a future date. I told them I was heading back to Sydney the following week. They said the team would gather in November for a December season start.

I had been retired less than 24 hours and was now a ball player again.

***********

Sydney, NSW, Australia, Late January

Another game had finished for the Blue Sox as we beat the Brisbane Bandits 7-3 at home in Blacktown. The team had gelled quite well and we looked like we were heading to the playoffs. It appeared as though we were going to be playing against the Melbourne Victorians in the playoffs. They were one of the new teams in the league and were backed by the Yankees. So it was a promoters dream having the classic Sox- Yankees rivalry from the Majors infiltrating the ABL.

The games were of good quality, probably AA ball back in the States. I was hitting well and my defence was effective. After so many years in the big leagues, the pitching did seem a little easier to hit. The biggest culture shock for me was the crowds. Not the enthusiasm, as our fans were passionate and loyal to our team. It was just the sheer numbers. At Tampa we played in front of 15000 people per game, at Boston it was nearly 35000 a game. In Sydney it was closer to 1500 people. These numbers were up considerably since the new MLB backed ABL started this season.

As players we did lots of work to engage with the fans. Coaching clinics, school visits, fan days were all part of our season. Given that our games only took place on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, with an occasional mid-week game, these extra duties were easily accommodated. Even after games we stayed and signed autographs for the fans.

This Sunday afternoon, five of us were sitting at the table in front of our home dugout as our fans lined up for autographs. I was at the end of the table after some of our younger, popular players; Franco, Raphael, Jackson and Jared Mansell. There was a good line of people waiting for our autographs.

As the line was dwindling down, I noticed a young woman joining the end of the queue. As I finished signing for another fan, I looked across and could see her with Franco. She was a beautiful girl, about 5'7" tall, long dark hair, lovely face, attractive smile, shapely but fit body. She was wearing a Red Sox Jersey

As she came to me a big smile appeared on her face, more than when she had interacted with the other players.

"Hi. How are you going today?" I asked as I always did.

"Oh, very good thanks. I can't believe I am finally meeting you Adam. I have been a fan of yours for such a long time." She replied, sounding very excited.

"Well thank you. It is always nice to meet a fan." I replied feeling a little surprised.

I went to sign her program and she said "Can you please make it out to Jessica. That's me."

I signed her program and Jessica was absolutely beaming. Handing her the book back she then asked "Would you mind if I took a picture of us together?"

"No not at all." I replied. "Come around here and we will get a good shot."

Jessica came around and we moved together and she took a selfie of us with her phone. Jared then piped up and offered to take a picture of the two of us. Jessica thanked him as she handed him her phone. He took a better picture of the two of us together. Having Jessica close to me as we took the picture I could smell her delicate perfume. Her face was so pretty and her eyes were a mesmerising blue green. Jessica was so attractive, but there was something else about her, something I couldn't put my finger on.

After taking the pictures, Jessica thanked Jared and thanked me again. She put her phone back into her pocket and reached out to shake my hand. As we shook hands, she placed a small piece of paper in my hand saying "It's great to finally meet you Adam. Thanks again."

She then walked off to join her friends that were waiting for her. I watched her walking away, noticing the wiggle in her walk and how well she filled her jeans. Looking up I noticed her Red Sox jersey had 'Maxwell' on the back and my number 25.

I looked at the piece of paper.

'I would love to talk with you properly sometime. Please give me a call. Jessica.'

It then had her phone number on it. I looked up and saw Jessica looking at me. She smiled and waved at me. I waved back, slightly awkwardly, smiling at her.

Jared and Franco both saw this exchange and proceeded to give me grief about having a 'groupie'. It had been a long time since a girl had just given me her number like that. It was very flattering, as Jessica was a very attractive girl and to have her show interest in me was great for the ego. I laughed at their good natured teasing as we packed up before heading to the clubhouse.

As I changed out of my uniform into my civilian clothes I looked at myself in the mirror. Even though I was older than the other players, I still looked alright at 37. I was 5'9" tall, full head of dark hair (even though it was cut short at the moment), green eyes and still fit. I was single and to have female attention like that was great.

Driving home that night I thought about our upcoming schedule for the week. We had recovery and training tomorrow. This was to be followed by morning training sessions Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday until flying to Adelaide Friday morning. We would be down there for a Saturday night, Sunday afternoon series. Putting my hand into my pocket, I found the piece of paper Jessica had given me.

Sitting down on my lounge I flicked on the TV and looked at the piece of paper. I almost analysed all of the words written there, as well as going over the events of meeting her. There was just something about her that really fascinated me. I could not get her out of my mind. I decided to throw caution to the wind and dialled the number. My heart was pounding.

"Hello Jessica speaking."

"Hi Jessica, it's Adam Maxwell. We met today at the game."

"Oh, hi Adam. How are you? You played so well today. Oooh, I can't believe you actually rang me." Jessica replied. She sounded so excited.

"Yes it was a good day. I was... Intrigued when you gave me your number, so I decided to ring you and say hello."

"Oh Adam, that is so nice. Thank you for calling. I was so nervous giving you my number. I haven't ever done 'that' before. I didn't think that you would call me."

We spoke for a few minutes when I said to Jessica that I was in Sydney until Friday. I then asked if she'd like to get together for a coffee. Jessica immediately said yes and we worked out where to meet. She had just moved to Sydney University and was living on campus. We arranged to meet at a café near there on Tuesday afternoon at 2pm.

We spoke for a little longer, before saying our goodbyes. I surprised myself that I had done this, but I was so happy that I did. Having been single for the past 4 years had affected my confidence with women. However speaking with Jessica on the phone made me want to know her better, and I couldn't wait for Tuesday.

*******

Tuesday afternoon found me walking up to the café we spoke about. I was a few minutes early and I was very surprised to see Jessica already waiting for me. She had the biggest smile on her face when she saw me come in. I walked over to the table where she stood up and gave me a hug. This surprised me, but I joined in.

Moving apart, I could see Jessica was wearing nice jeans, flat shoes and a University t-shirt. In her flat shoes she was shorter than at the game, about 5'5". She wasn't as 'made up' as at the game either. I could see a light smattering of freckles across her nose, her blue green eyes were still mesmerising and her smile captivating.

I went and ordered us coffees, and we sat down to talk. She amazed me with how much she knew about my baseball career. She really was a big fan. I found out a little about her as well. Jessica was 18 and starting her first year of Uni. She was studying Journalism and was living away from home for the first time. The more we talked, the better we seemed to get along.

While talking I mentioned how nice it was to meet her at the game. Jessica shifted in her chair and started to look like she wanted to say something.

"Ummm, Adam, Sunday wasn't the first time we met............ We met many years ago actually."

"Really?" I said somewhat dumbfounded, wracking my brain as to when I would have met her.

Jessica reached into her bag and she pulled out what looked to be an old photo. She looked really nervous as she started to hand it over to me.

"Yes we met when I was very young. I believe you know my Mum."

Looking at the photo I couldn't believe my eyes. There I was looking very young and standing next to me was my best friend from childhood Fiona Sterling and in her arms was a toddler girl.

"You're........ Fiona's daughter." I said barely stringing the words together.

"Yes I am." Jessica said with a nervous look on her face. "And......... ummmm......... Adam........ I think you........ Might be my father."

I could feel the colour draining from my face. My mind was a jumble of thoughts. I couldn't believe it.

Fiona Sterling was my best friend growing up. Her family lived just up the street from our house and Fiona and I were in the same classes in at school. We did everything together. She blossomed into a beautiful young woman. Fiona was 5'5" tall, long caramel hair, curvy, busty and great legs. She would often come to my ball games and cheer me on, and I would go and watch her play sport and dance as well. I couldn't have asked for a better friend.

We had never been romantically involved as we were too close as friends to have a romance. We both dated other people and even helped organise dates for each other. But the last night before I went to America to go to University.......

"But.... But your mother was with...... Paul at the time...... You are his daughter." I stammered, trying to get the jumble of thoughts in my head out into words.

"Yes Adam. But I think that you are my father, well my biological father anyway."

My mind was a whirl. Jessica was 18. I was with Fiona that one time, in January before I left for California. Working out the maths I realised that it could be possible. Looking down at the picture of Fiona and me, I remembered when it was taken. It was the last time I had seen Fiona. I was home after my third year in California, and I caught up with her and her fiancé Paul while we were all visiting our respective parents. I remember Fi specifically asking for Paul to take a picture of her and me together while she was holding her daughter.

Looking back up at Jessica, I could now see what it was that I couldn't work out about her. She had so many of her mother's features, but some that appeared to be mine as well. Her hair was dark like mine, her eyes a real mix of blue and green, combining both Fiona's and mine. Jessica's face was shaped like her mother and she even had freckles like her mother did.

Jessica looked really worried, and I wasn't exactly feeling great.

"Adam, are you ok?" she asked.

"I'm shocked Jessica....... This is all a bit hard to take........ When.......... How........... Ummm........ Why do you think I'm your father?"

Jessica began to speak "As I grew up I had my doubts about where I came from. I looked like Mum most, but I had none of my father's characteristics. Dad was tall 6'2", light brown hair, brown eyes, olive skin and I have none of these features."

I sat there trying to absorb this, but nodding my head as I remembered that was what Paul looked like.

"Anyway Dad passed away about 5 years ago from cancer."

"Oh Jessica I'm so sorry."

"Thank you Adam........ At the time they were looking for blood donors to try and help Dad. I was only 13 at the time, but I offered to donate. The hospital took my blood, but I was told some time a little later that my blood wasn't compatible........... Mum reassured me that this was often the case. I remembered seeing Dad's blood type as 'O'. I knew Mum's was 'A' but I didn't know mine. When I moved here for Uni I had to get a blood test for some insurance or something. I found out that my blood type is 'AB'."

I spoke quietly. "I have B type blood."

Jessica had a big smile on her face. "Really Adam?"

"Yes.......... What does your mum have to say about this? You must have asked her about this?"

"I did, after Dad died. Mum just laughed it off and assured me I was their daughter. I still had my doubts, as Mum followed your baseball career almost obsessively. I became a fan of yours through her. Seeing your pictures and footage over the internet and games on TV, I became more and more convinced that you were my father."

demon160
demon160
502 Followers