Soccer Moms Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The game went well Sunday and at least the weekend had not been a total loss for the girls. As Carol was crawling into bed that night, Paul looked at her and asked "So anything you want to tell me?"

"To be honest Paul, there is not a whole lot to tell you. Yes, we did fool around. And yes, it was very enjoyable. But it was as if it was just something to do. We could have just as easily been going to a movie or playing tennis. We just did what we did and we were done. And that was fine. It was about having fun and we had fun."

"But next week we're on the Team Room duty and the week after that is when you are going to be coming to the games. So Megan and I might never get together again. And we'll still be friendly and we'll still talk to each other at the practices."

"So the takeaway is that sex can be just for fun sometimes. You and I have so much more though. We have the fun but we have the love as well. So tonight, what I would like you to do is just let me cuddle up to you and just hold me and love me. Because I just want to bask in that intimacy and that connection we have that is forever special to just us."

Paul opened up his arms and Carol slid over to him. She turned her back to him so he could spoon her and when he did she scrunched back into him nice and close. He pulled the covers over the both of them and then put his arm around hers, pulled her in even closer and said "Good night, my love."

"Good night Paul. I love you."

Paul went to sleep that night more contented than he had been in a while. Despite the brave face and supportive attitude he had taken about Carol's sudden interest in other women, he had been uneasy. Would she loose interest in sex with him? Would she leave him? The first question had been answered some time ago. Their sex life had improved right along with this new interest in women and Carol had become an even more considerate lover. As for whatever concerns he had about her love for him, she had just made it clear that was not going to be an issue either.

This opened up some possibilities for them down the road. Paul was already thinking that now that Carol had some time for her own discovery, it was time for them to start thinking about some joint discovery. But first they had to get Katie into college. After that, they could start trying to see what else might be out there in the world for them. If Carol's sex with Jen and Megan had been fun, what other fun might they be able to have together.

Carol had her own thoughts as she slowly drifted toward sleep. She decided that she was comfortable with the idea of sex as recreation sometimes. But she also realized that at other times it was about the intimacy and the love. She loved Paul and nothing would change that. So if she also engaged in "fun" sex with other people, that would be okay too.

Carol also knew that she needed to be fully honest and up front with Paul, and she wanted him to be a part of this fun sex as well as their intimate sex. She knew they would have to talk about it and set rules that they could both be comfortable with if they were actually going to do this. Maybe not just yet because Katie was still here, but by this time next year, she would be away at school somewhere and they would finally be able to be a little freer and explore more.

This summer while Katie had been at the soccer camps, they had gotten a little taste of what might be. It had certainly whetted her appetite.

Just as she was about to fall completely asleep, a thought came into Carol's head. So I know what I have with Paul is love, and what I have had with Megan has been fun. What did I have with Jen?" But even as the thought finished, she was now asleep and the answer to that question would have to wait.

***************

Carol stared down at the envelope and could not move. Here was something from that school out west that Katie wanted to go to so badly. And Carol also knew that Melanie had decided that she wanted to go there very much as well. And while both girls had gotten offers for scholarships to other schools, they had not made any commitments while they waited to hear from this school. And now here was the envelope. It was addressed to Katie and despite every Mom nerve in her body wanting to open it, she knew she couldn't. But it was going to be over an hour before Katie was home. Finally she did the only thing left she could think of, she called Jen.

Jen was at her office when Carol called and told her of the arrival of the envelope. "Oh my god!" Jen said "I have to go home and see if Melanie got one too."

"Okay call me when you get home. And remember even if there isn't one, it could be that our mail is a day ahead of yours." When Carol hung up, she knew Jen hadn't believed that. But she felt like she had to say something bracing, just in case. Carol was pacing back and forth waiting for Jen's call. At one point she had even gotten the tea kettle and put water in so she could try to steam open the letter but realized that wouldn't work.

The envelope was thick. So it wasn't just a form letter. That seemed encouraging. If they weren't going to make her an offer for a scholarship, why send her all that other information. "Of course, maybe they wouldn't offer the scholarship, but would try to get her to come to the school anyway. Dangle the possibility of a walk-on spot as if a program that good was going to have walk-ons. Those selfish bastards!"

Carol suddenly realized she was getting angry and accusing the coaching staff of unsavory conduct based on nothing but her own anxiety. She had to get a grip here. But she was a Mom, and her youngest child was about to have her biggest dream fulfilled or crushed. And if anyone crushed her daughter's dream, there would be hell to pay.

Jen finally called and there was a letter for Melanie as well. "Is it thick? Katie's is thick." Carol said breathlessly into the phone.

"Yes it is." Both Carol and Jen felt better about that. Neither one mentioned it, but the only thing worse than their daughter not getting in would be if their best friend did when they didn't. At least with the letters appearing to be the same, the odds seemed better that they were going to get the same answer. There was some comfort in that even if the news ended up being bad.

"Maybe they should open them together, over the phone." Jen offered.

"That's a great idea..." Carol responded "...but what time does Melanie get home?"

"She does sometimes dawdle, but if I text her the envelope is here, she'll hurry. What about Katie?"

"She'll be home any minute but I won't tell her right away. She'll go bonkers if she knows it's here but can't open it." Jen sent the text and they began talking about everything but the letters. Many athletes can be superstitious about these things and neither wanted to jinx anything.

It was Katie's routine to come home from school and spend thirty minutes out in the back yard working on soccer skills. When she came in the door she saw her Mother on the phone. Her Mother wheeled around quickly and looked at her.

"Whose on the phone Mom?"

"It's Ms. Smith." Something about the way her Mother had reacted when she first came in and her voice made Katie a little concerned.

Katie asked "Is everything okay?"

"Yes dear. Are you going to go out and do some drills?"

"Yeeessss?" The question surprised Katie because why was it even a question and so her answer had a quizzical tone.

Carol then said "Okay, go ahead and get changed, but come down here first before you go outside." Katie was now very anxious that something was wrong, but she went up to her room and changed. When Katie came back downstairs, she went to her mother and said "So what's up?"

"Well Katie, it seems..."

"Hey Mom I'm home." Since the phone was on speaker, Katie and Carol both heard Melanie getting to her house. The moment of truth had arrived.

Carol spoke to Katie "Your letter came from the school and Melanie got hers as well. Ms. Smith and I thought it was best if you opened them together." Carol reached out the envelope to Katie who initially seemed reluctant to take it. Finally she took it from her mother and turned it over in her hands a few times.

Jen's voice came over the speaker "Carol on the count of three they open them?"

"Yep, that sounds fine. Count us down Jen."

"Three, two, one." Carol watched as Katie ripped it open and pulled out the papers. She unfolded them and started to read. Carol watched as her daughter eyes shot back and forth over the page.

Finally Katie's eyes lit up and she started shouting "YES! YES! YES!" At the same time Carol heard a shriek from over the phone and her first thought was bad news.

But Jen was there saying "She got it! She got it!"

Katie heard this as well as Carol said back "So did Katie." Carol turned to Katie and said "forget practice, go upstairs and call Melanie."

Katie bounded up the stairs as Jen said "Oh Carol this is wonderful."

"Yes this is great news for both of them." Carol heard whooping and hollering from upstairs and she heard a more muffled shriek over the phone signaling the girls' call had gone through. Jen said "We have to celebrate. The Hanover Roadhouse is basically in the middle for us. Why don't we meet there at 7:30?"

"That will be great. We'll see you there."

Carol got off the phone with Jen and immediately called Paul. He was overjoyed as well and agreed that they had to celebrate. His new position allowed him the freedom to sneak away from the office and he took advantage of it. He came home got Carol and Katie and they headed out to dinner.

When the Rogers family arrived at the restaurant, Jen and Melanie and Susan were already there. Paul had stopped the car but had not even put it in Park when Katie flung the door open and went running over toward their friends' car. Melanie also burst out of their car and ran at Katie. She jumped into Katie's arms just as if she'd scored a goal and they celebrated this moment as joyfully as any goal they had ever scored.

Jen also came walking up and gave both Carol and Paul big hugs as well. Susan stayed back a few steps but offered her congratulations to Carol and Paul as well. Perfunctory greetings were exchanged with Susan.

For the balance of the evening there were very different conversations going on at the table. Katie and Melanie were talking about the school, and the soccer team and about their dorm room as they really wanted to be roommates.

Another conversation was Carol and Jen. Two Momma Bears equally excited for their girls and worried about them being so far away from home.

This left Paul and Susan to talk with each other. Paul was very proud of his daughter and very pleased as he heard the excitement in her voice as he spoke about this wonderful adventure that was in store for her. Susan had not known Melanie long and did not have the best relationship with her anyway. So she sat idly by and offered very little to Paul.

Not surprisingly, Susan was the first to finish her food, being undistracted with conversation after it had arrived.

At practice the next evening, Katie and Melanie got to share their great news with the team. The other girls and Coach Hochbauer were happy for them. It was also of some note for the parents because Katie had received and offer from Northwestern University which she would now be declining. This mattered very much for Olivia Dandridge and her parents. Olivia had not heard from Northwestern and knowing that Katie had heard was disappointing news.

However, after Katie wrote to let the coach at Northwestern know that she was very grateful for the offer but would be declining it to attend a different school, Northwestern did turn around and tender an offer to Olivia. She accepted, played three years as a starter on the varsity team and was an All-American her Senior year. And while she is not otherwise a part of this story, it is a fascinating part of life how we don't always realize how little things in our lives can have an amazing effect on the lives of other people.

At the tournament the next week, Carol and Megan were the Team Parents in the Team room Saturday night. They sat in the back while Coach Hochbauer was going over the films of the day's games and still trying to teach the girls anything else she could before they left her charge.

At one point Megan did rub her leg up against Carol's. They both smiled but knew that nothing would be happening here tonight. By now the transition at Paul's company was complete. While this still left him busy, he was working from home and was pretty much only working 9 to 5 except when he had to travel. So he was going to be able to go to the last few tournaments of Katie's Blue Lightning career. Work had caused him to miss so many but he was going to have more time and would be able to watch a lot of her college games and he was really looking forward to that.

The week before their last tournament game was the National Signing Day for a number of sports including Women's Soccer. The Blue Lightning always made a big production out of this. By now all of the girls had been in touch with their respective schools, so this was more of a formality, but it was also a big photo op for the program and Steven Pennington was front and center.

This year he was gushing as all 18 girls were signing their formal letters of intent today. Granted a few were going to Division II schools, but the fact that all 18 would be playing college soccer next year was a feather in his cap and he would use the fact in his own recruitment for the program.

Lucy Cohill was going to the Naval Academy and Steve made sure that the young midshipman who was attending the ceremony in full dress uniform was front and center for the pictures. Not many coaches were there, but a few did call in on Zoom for the little ceremony that the club had put together. It was certainly a great day for the girls and the Blue Lightning program, and for Steve Pennington.

The last tournament was the one right before Thanksgiving and once again a lot of family were at this tournament. And while they would not have a Team Room night this night and there would be no film study, Coach Hochbauer did ask everyone to come to the conference room in the hotel at 6:00 before they went to dinner. As they came in she asked the girls to stay up front and asked the parents to gather in the back. When everyone was there, she gave a little speech.

"Ladies it has been my privilege to be your Coach. I started this journey with some of you five years ago. We had some friends who did not finish the journey with us, but we've also made some new friends along the way."

"Sports is a great teacher for life and I hope that I have been able to impart to you some valuable lessons that not only helped with your soccer, but help you as young women. This team has had the most successful run of any Blue Lightning Team. And that is because of YOUR work and YOUR dedication."

She then looked to the back of the room and added "And it is because of the tireless support of your families so turn around and give your folks a round of applause." The girls did this and there were a few whoops and yeahs thrown in for good measure.

When things quieted down the Coach continued. "I hope you all know how very proud I am of all of you. And if I've seemed hard at times, I have only ever wanted you to all be the best you could be. And so there are two pieces of advice I want to leave with you. First, while you should be proud of your work, whether on the soccer field or in the classroom or in the board room, always try to do a little better. That doesn't mean you didn't do well, but never stop trying to improve."

"The second piece of advice is that you have been such a strong team and you have forged such great friendships. And some of you might end up seeing each other on the other side of the field. During the game, I would expect you all to do everything you can to win the game and beat your friend's team. But when the game is over, go find your friend. Remember this bond that you will have forever because of our time here. At the end of the day, it is just a game."

"The lessons about how you play, how dedicated you are and how you deal with everyone teammates and opponents and I guess referees, but..." This brought out some laughter from everyone assembled as everyone had witnessed some of Coach Hochbauer's tirades against some referees over the years.

Coach Hochbauer continued "Ladies it has been such a blessing and such a happy experience for me to watch you become amazing soccer players. And I can't wait to see you all become amazing women. So please, keep in touch. I am always going to be interested in what you do on and off the field. Thank you for putting up with me all these years, thank you for listening to me, thank you for all your hard work and dedication and thank you for letting me be your Coach. Good luck to you all."

The end of her speech was meet with thunderous applause from both ends of the room and few eyes were dry. Katie went up and gave Coach Hochbauer a big hug and the rest of the team followed. It was a moment that none of them would forget. And for the next few years it was not uncommon after a game for a player from each of the opposing teams to go up to each other and give each other a hug and go walking off the field arm in arm.

And many years later, older women sitting in the stands, wearing opposing jersey would yell like crazy during the game and then go to each other and talk well past when the stands were empty. Because they had shared something that was forever after a part of them.

***************

Christmas was extra special for Katie and Melanie too. With scholarships paying most of their school expenses both girls ended up getting cars for Christmas. Jen had to do a little extra work and technically Melanie bought her own car. Part of the settlement from John's death had been used to set up a college fund for Melanie. Since undergrad was at least going to be paid, Jen petitioned the Court to allow some of the money be used for her to have transportation. The Court was not initially inclined to grant this, but Melanie appeared at the hearing and she was so poised and so eloquent in her answers to the Court, that it was ultimately approved.

The added bonus for the parents was every other weekend, Katie or Melanie could now drive to the other's house for the weekend themselves, thus saving somebody two round trips.

The girls spent a lot of time talking about classes and their room (they were approved to be roommates) and they also would do workouts and conditioning. Both were intent on going to school in the best shape possible. While they knew they would not be playing much that first year, they wanted to impress Coach Quincannon.

Coach Quincannon had been very upfront with both girls. She had a good team that year, she was going to have a great team next year (their freshman year). But that team was going to have a lot of Seniors. So starting in their Sophomore Year the team was going to really need the younger players. So they had to learn as much as they could from the older players while they could because she was going to need them to be ready to step up when the older players graduated.

Carol and Paul took advantage of the weekends that Katie was up at Melanie's house to go nude in the house again, just as they had during the weeks she had been at summer camps. This did not always lead to full out sex marathons. Sometimes it was just light petting watching the television. But it was just an overall extension of their increased intimacy. And sometimes it did lead to some mind-blowing sex.

The best was the night in mid-May. Melanie had asked Katie to go to her Senior Prom. Although Melanie did not play on the high school team, she did practice with the girls on the team and had become good friends with them. A number of them did not have boyfriends and so the Seniors on the team had decided they would go to the prom bringing some of the younger players from the soccer team as their "dates."