Someone Else's Daughter

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Two years flew by for the small, blended family. Kenji's responsibilities increased until he was the number two man in charge of Canadian operations, Sam having moved to the offices in the US. Karen had completed the coursework to earn her degree, and Christine had finished her first year in kindergarten.

"Ken, I'm so glad to be finished my degree!" Karen exclaimed at her convocation as Kenji embraced her tightly, Christine clinging to her stepfather's leg. "None too soon too!"

"How come?" he asked her.

"I don't know if I could handle classes if I was pregnant," she declared into Kenji's confused face. "Ken, I'm pregnant," she explained after a few moments of silence while Kenji tried to piece together her hints. Once he did, he broke out into a smile.

"Looks like we'll need a bigger place!" he chuckled as he lifted her off her feet and planted a big kiss on her lips.

~ ~ ~

SEVEN MONTHS, AND a move to a larger house a few blocks away later, Bradley Hideki Suzumura was born. Christine, at six years old, was eager to not be left out, insisted on a Japanese name too. Her insistence charmed Kenji's mother and father who were visiting the birth of their first biological grandchild, and they gave her the name Megumi.

Since the new house was close to the local Japanese Cultural Centre, Kenji's parents had suggested that Christine could take classes there, so she could understand the culture of her new family. Sundays found Kenji and Christine at the centre, with Christine in children's Japanese classes, and then accompanying her stepfather to martial arts class after lunch. The time together served to create a bond that was somehow lacking earlier on.

With Bradley, Kenji was able to be a hands-on father, which confused some of the other expats in his group, who were used to their wives taking care of everything at home. Kenji quickly gained a reputation as a strange one. He didn't neglect the clients, or the drinking, or the golf, which his job required, but he did spend more time with his family than most. That endeared him to the local staff, who were more used to the work life balance of the corporate West.

~ ~ ~

WHEN BRADLEY TURNED one, Karen decided to get back into the world of show business. Since she had little in the way of professional acting, she took the first job in entertainment that presented itself. Karen ended up as an assistant to a local casting agent, Janet Lee. Since Toronto was such a hub for television and film production for Hollywood and for the domestic TV market, Janet's firm was busy.

Kenji found himself more involved in his home life, which puzzled his father and some of the other expat executives, but Kenji was relishing it. Being a mixed family did bring some odd looks and the rare visit from the police when "concerned citizens" would report an abduction on the occasions when the family was out without Karen. While irritating, the family took it in stride.

Home life became busier as both Kenji and Karen's responsibilities increased at work. Sam's father-in-law had retired so he was back in Japan, which required Kenji to take on more responsibility. Karen became more involved with casting as the firm increased their involvement in location scouting. It got so busy that the family ended up hiring a nanny to help at home. Amelia was a godsend and was like another mother to the children, having left her own family back home to work as a nanny in Canada.

Despite their hectic schedules, Kenji and Karen had an active sex life, but desiring to be in front of the camera, Karen did not want any more children so went on the pill. That didn't bother Kenji much, who disliked condoms and was used to small families now being the norm in Japan.

Karen continued to audition whenever time permitted, and did book the occasional catalogue or infomercial, but most of her acting was confined to community theatre or helping at Christine's school. Still in her twenties and in possession of her looks, Karen knew that her window to compete against younger actresses was closing.

When the opportunity to work with the local film authority to coordinate with others around Canada came up, Karen volunteered. That put her in the same room with other casting agents, show runners, and producers. More importantly, it meant frequent trips to Vancouver, which was the other major filming hub in Canada, and opportunities to coordinate her schedule to allow for additional auditions.

Kenji, and really, most of Karen's family, couldn't quite grasp her drive to become a professional actress. If she was honest about it, there were aspects she felt guilty about herself. She hid the true intentions of her trips to Vancouver from everyone. She would often find herself coming home late from a long local audition or being an extra on set to find her family asleep and dinner warming in the oven. Through it all, Kenji was supportive of what he knew about, considering it fair since she was also supportive of his career.

~ ~ ~

KAREN HAD BEEN making the trip to Vancouver now for two years, with little success. This trip was important because a few pilots were casting roles for streaming services. Her agent was able to get her an audition for a lead role in a new science fiction show for the end of the week. It would be a stretch as she was a virtual unknown as a performer, but a good move to get her face out there.

After all her meetings ended on the Tuesday, Karen extended her stay for the rest of the week, anticipating three days of back-to-back casting calls. Having booked out of the pricey hotel that the conference was in, she found herself in an Airbnb in the suburbs just west of downtown which, thankfully, had good wifi and a separate entrance. As she was sitting down with takeout the video call tone started ringing on her phone. She answered and saw it was her youngest.

"Hi sweetie! How are you?" she answered, happy to see her son's chubby face onscreen. "It's like nine o'clock there. How come you're still up?"

"I'm scared! I can't sleep! Daddy checked the closet and Amelia checked the closet, but they're old and can't see good. You're less old than them. Could you check too?" he asked her. Karen laughed.

"Sure sweetie," she replied. Bradley walked the phone to his closet, turned on the flashlight, and swept the camera back and forth. "I don't see any monsters either baby. You'll be safe. Get Daddy or Amelia to leave the door open and plug in a nightlight, OK?"

"OK Mommy, I miss you," he blew his mother a kiss and dropped the phone on the bed and ran to get his father. A wave of guilt washed over Karen, her conflicting emotions squeezing at her chest. Movement on the screen snapped her out of her funk as she saw her husband's face fill the screen.

"Sorry Karen, our boy seems to have figured out how to work these things before even I do. How have your meetings been?" he asked her.

"They've been going well, just tiring, you know?" she smiled at the lens. "It gets so repetitive sometimes. It got so boring I begged off dinner with them and just got takeout. How are the kids doing?"

"Well, they're both missing you. Thank goodness that Amelia's around though. She makes sure that things are running smoothly. I miss you too. Looking forward to you coming home," he said to her, triggering another bout of guilt and longing.

"I miss you all too. Give them both a kiss for me, OK?" she requested. She blew her own kiss at the screen and signed off. With a heavy sigh, she sat staring out the window rationalizing that if acting was what would make her happy, then she could bring that happiness back to their home.

~ ~ ~

THE NEXT FEW days of auditions we fruitless. The roles were too minor to justify flying back and forth to Vancouver. In any event, the roles went to actors that fit the roles better. Friday was the big day though. It was for the lead in a sci-fi show, and despite the fact that she knew she wouldn't get it, nerves still gripped at Karen. Early Friday morning, she was sitting in the waiting room of the casting office, fidgeting in her seat and working through her vocalization exercises.

"Karen Fischer!" an assistant yelled out to the room. Karen shot to her feet.

"Here!" she announced, as if attendance was being called. The assistant led her to room and introduced the casting director, producer, director, and head writer of the show. She shook their hands in turn and was happy to see they had her head shots and a list of her credits in front of them.

"Good morning, Karen," the casting director greeted her. "I see you're in the casting line yourself, so you know how this goes. We'll be having you read with someone else this morning, just to see how you interact with another performer," she explained. "Let me introduce you to Brock Chambers. He'll be one of the actors on the cast, but we haven't settled on a role for him yet."

The casting director indicated to someone behind Karen. She hadn't noticed the other person when she entered the room but turned to greet the other performer, only to be shocked at who was sitting behind her. The name was Brock, but if you had asked her who that was, she would have answered Bill Davis!

She froze for an imperceptible moment, long enough for Bill, or Brock now, to reach her and shake her hand. Karen realized her mouth was agape and quickly closed it. Brock did recognize her and smiled slightly as they shook hands. A quick clap of hands from the table and a call to begin started the process and a half hour later the audition was finished.

"Thank you, Karen, we'll be in touch," was all she heard from the casting director. Karen was sure she didn't get the part, but was happy for the experience. Brock followed her out for a moment before the next audition.

"Karen, it's so great to see you! How have you been?" Brock asked, giving Karen a big smile. Karen could have given him grief for leaving her pregnant, for all the misfortunes he left in his wake, for the daughter he didn't know or care about, but his smile all but erased the last eleven years. He was older and more masculine, but it was as if Karen was transported back to her eighteenth summer again. "How about we grab lunch?" It was all Karen could do to nod. He gave her his number, directions to a café nearby, and a time to meet.

Karen wandered around the neighbourhood, window shopping, until it was time to meet Brock for lunch. She walked into the café and found a booth near the back. Brock walked in a few minutes later and greeted a few people before coming to stop at the booth where he gave Karen a hug.

"Wow babe, you look great!" he exclaimed as he looked her up and down. Karen shivered with pride as she basked in his appreciation. "So, what have you been up to?"

After ordering, Karen gave him the abbreviated version of her life from the time he left to the time they saw each other that morning. The story came out matter of factly with the only regret that her acting career had been curtailed. Brock was surprised that she decided to have the baby, but more surprised that she wasn't angry with him.

"Bill... er, Brock, why did you leave?" she asked. "We could have been a family," she continued, her tone more longing that reproach. Brock took a deep breath and sat back, trying to remember the excuses he gave some of the other women along the way.

"Well, y'see, acting is a tough game. How long have you been auditioning?" he asked her.

"Two years now, here in Vancouver, and constantly back in Toronto," was the reply.

"So, you know how tough it is." Karen nodded in agreement. "An actor has a window, you know. And mine was closing as a young heartthrob, but I stuck to it and focused my energy to ONLY acting, and look where I am now! I'm a successful actor!" Brock boasted as he spread his arms. What he neglected to mention to her was that outside of his steady gig at a dinner revue and the few guest roles he picked up every year, Brock relied on lonely, rich, older women to keep him in the appearance of a successful actor.

Knowing the truth wouldn't have mattered. Karen had stars in her eyes. Brock regaled her with inflated stories of his achievements, and Karen couldn't get enough. She could already see herself being a successful actor, just like Brock had become.

After a few hours, they agreed to see each other again the next time that Karen was in town. After paying for both their meals, Karen left for her Airbnb, and then a red-eye home to Toronto. All through the rest of the day, Karen was vibrating with excitement, so much so that she couldn't get a wink of sleep on the plane and crashed as soon as she arrived home.

Seeing how beat she was, Kenji gathered the children up and went to the Cultural Centre for their classes, and then for some burgers.

~ ~ ~

A FEW MONTHS later, Karen's boss, Janet, got her a lead on an audition for a recurring guest spot on a show that would coincide with her next trip out west. Karen's excitement was palpable. Even Kenji, who was usually not as emotionally observant noticed.

"You seem very excited about this trip, hon," he noted as she was packing for the four-night stay.

"I'm always excited about trips out west, sweetie," she replied. "This trip might be quite significant, though," she continued, worrying her lip with guilt at continuing to keep her west coast auditions from her family.

"OK then, have fun out there. We'll make sure the house doesn't blow up while you're gone," he said, kissing her on the temple and heading down to the den to watch some television.

Karen wondered why she was keeping these auditions from her family. It's not like they didn't know she wanted to return to acting, and they saw the schedule she kept when she was in town - auditions, call backs, extra work, and some local advertising. So why was she so worried about them finding out she was auditioning in Vancouver?

Karen shrugged, putting the stray thought away for another day. It wasn't like Kenji had noticed her guilty behaviour. She finished packing up and went out to the back yard for some fresh air. She pulled out her phone and sent a text to Brock.

[Hey, all set for dinner Tuesday night?]

Karen worried her lip again, waiting for the response.

[looking fwd to it!]

[will giv u tips for ur audition]

Karen set her phone down and sighed. She felt guilty that she had been texting with Brock over the last few months. It felt wrong, but she couldn't help it. He was her constant connection to that world, and she craved it. And, if she were honest with herself, she still felt drawn to him, even after he had abandoned her and their child. She picked up her phone and sent her reply.

[Text u when I'm done meetings on Tuesday]

~ ~ ~

TUESDAY'S MEETING ENDED early and handshakes all around were performed quickly, the attendees looking to get some leisure time in before heading to their respective destinations. This gave Karen just enough time to check out of her hotel, drop her bags off at the Airbnb and head to a sushi bar on Robson Street to meet with Brock.

He stood as she entered and found him seated at the bar. Reaching up with one arm to encircle his neck, she gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. He pulled back and gave her a look from head to toe, which sent shivers up her spine.

"You're looking great Karen! I hope hubby knows what a stunning wife he has!" Brock complimented her.

"Oh you!" Karen giggled as she slapped him on the arm.

"So, when's your audition?" he asked her.

"It's for tomorrow afternoon."

"What's the project?" he pressed.

"It's some sort of wilderness period project for, like, a women's cable channel, or something," she answered, feigning disinterest, but feeling every nervous butterfly in her gut.

"Want me to help you with your lines," he grinned with a waggle of his eyebrows.

"Jeez Louise Brock! That's so cliché!" she laughed. "Next you'll be leading me to the casting couch!" In an instant Karen realized what just came out of her mouth and she blushed deeply. "Let's order," she said, changing the topic quickly.

After a lively dinner, which Karen paid for, again, Brock looked at Karen and made an earnest offer. Brock did earnest well; it was one of his best emotions. "So, I was serious about helping you. How about we head back to your place and run some lines?" Eager for some "experienced" guidance, Karen quickly agreed.

~ ~ ~

BACK AT KAREN'S Airbnb, Brock and Karen did, in actuality, run lines for Karen's audition next afternoon. What Brock hoped for, and Karen didn't count on, was the emotional connection that the process would build between them. After a particular passage had them breathing heavily and looking deep into each other's eyes, Brock reached out and caressed Karen's cheek with his fingertips. Letting out a breath she didn't know she was holding, Karen closed her eyes and leaned into his touch.

Taking this as an invitation, Brock leaned in and held his lips just a whisper away from her's, his breath tickling her cheek. Karen opened her eyes and closed the distance, tasting Brock's lips. Brock deepened the kiss, teasing her lips with his tongue, pulling Karen to him. Karen returned his fervor, pressing her body against his arousal, allowing his tongue access to her mouth, her core dripping with her excitement.

Untucking her blouse from her skirt, Brock brushed his hand up the soft skin of her firm stomach to the cups of her bra. His thumb teasing the hardened nipple through the lace of the flimsy material. Brock dragged his lips down her throat as Karen's breath grew shorter.

Suddenly, the ringing of Karen's phone broke through the haze of her excitement. It took two or three rings for it to register with her. Once it did, Karen snapped out of her fog and pushed Brock away, quickly grabbing her phone and answering. As she touched the button, a dread filled her stomach as she realized how her disheveled state could be interpreted.

"Mommy," she heard coming from her little boy's voice over the video chat. Karen experienced a huge wave of guilt but breathed a huge sigh of relief, realizing the bullet that she had just dodged. "I can't sleep!" he complained, while he rubbed his eyes.

"Aw, baby, what's wrong?" she asked as she brushed her fingers through her hair. Brock handed her a tissue off camera and she wiped her mouth of smeared lipstick. "Wait, aren't you supposed to be asleep?"

"I couldn't sleep Mommy! So, I went and got Daddy's other phone...," Bradley trailed off realizing he could be in trouble.

"That's OK baby. Can you hold on? Mommy has to take care of something."

"OK Mommy!" Bradley agreed. Karen muted the phone and turned to Brock.

"Listen Brock, I've got to take care of this right now, but we shouldn't have let this get too far. I'm married, and I don't plan to be a cheater. I think maybe you should leave," she told him.

"OK Karen. I'm sorry. Would you please call me after the audition?" he requested. Karen though for a moment, then nodded reluctantly.

"OK baby, what can Mommy do?" Karen asked, risking a side glance at Brock's retreating back.

~ ~ ~

KAREN FELT SURE that she aced her audition. The reception she received was more positive than in any other audition. Promises of further contact buoyed her confidence. Riding a high, she immediately texted Brock to meet for coffee, not yet prepared to share her news with her family.

"Oh my God, Brock! I think I got the part!" she crowed as she hugged him at the café later on. "This is so exciting!"

"That's great news Karen!" Brock enthused along with her. "So, this'll be your first TV role?" he asked.

"Yeah, it is! I'm so excited!" she repeated. "I've gotta calm down though, the part hasn't come through yet...," she said, pressing her palm to her chest, taking deep breaths. Brock's eyes immediately followed her motion.