Son for Hire Ch. 71-82

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh pish." Says Evelyn. "I'm just treating my new neighbors to breakfast. Nothing unusual about that."

"Alright." Kitty says warily.

"Good morning Evelyn." Comes the greeting from the woman who had waved earlier as we approached her table. "And who do we have here?" Her curious eyes turn to us.

"Julie, Gregory, this is Donald and Kitty." Evelyn says as she presents us. "They are our new tenants. They're renting grandpa's old suite."

Julie and Gregory, both your classic boomer WASP types in their mid-fifties or so, give us a good look up and down. There was something about their aloof yet critical gaze that didn't make me feel altogether welcome here. Was it our age? Our clothes? Our haircuts? The whole package? I wasn't sure but there was a definite sense that they considered us outsiders here in their posh oasis, as if they could smell the poverty on us.

My suspicions are confirmed when instead of addressing us Julie says to Evelyn. "Good for you Evelyn. Might as well let that free space work for you." It was spoken as friendly as could be but there is a hidden edge to the words. An insinuation that perhaps Alan and Evelyn were house poor and needed the extra income or something.

If Evelyn caught the jibe she didn't show it. She was far too happy showing me off to be brought down. "Donald here is an aspiring artist."

The comment takes me completely off guard. "Um...artist? Um, I mean, I dabble...it's more a hobby really." I hadn't even touched paint to canvas yet!

"An aspiring artist?" Gregory laughs. "Alan must just love that." The others laugh, seemingly knowing Alan's gruff and over-practical personality well.

"Donald could do anything if he wants it hard enough." Evelyn was beaming at me in that way she had. "I think the sky is the limit for this young man if he works hard and believes in himself." There is an awkward pause before she adds warmly. "Isn't he handsome?"

"Ahem!" Kitty steps in. Purposely stepping between Evelyn and I to break our lovey-dovey gaze she reaches across the table she shakes hands with Julie and Gregory, a gesture they seem to find both appalling and amusing for some reason. "Good to meet you Ma'am, Sir."

"Mmm, a pleasure I'm sure." Julie says with a politician's smile, refusing the handshake.

Gregory does shake her hand but does so as if it was soiled.

I could practically hear my sister's teeth grind and the open condescension of the pair showed her. Back in the old neighborhood, where keeping face was something taken very seriously, she'd probably be causing a scene at the slight. Thankfully she keeps her temper under wraps. Polite greetings are had all around. The couple Julie and Gregory were sitting with are finally introduced as well, they turn out to be a pair of tennis friends. We take a neighboring table and the conversation continues. After a bit of idle chit-chat between the elders attention turns to me and Kitty once more.

"So Ronald, what do you for work?"

"It's Donald." Evelyn corrects Gregory. "Donny to his friends."

"Right. Show how about it Don?"

"Um..."

"Well, Greg, my husband happens to be between jobs right now." Kitty answers for me. Taking my hand she gives it a squeeze. "He's pursuing a number of exciting opportunities though. I've got enough coming in in the meantime. It's all good."

"I see." Gregory says, nonplussed at being called 'Greg' by a lesser. "So what did you do then?"

"Uh..."

"Retail sector." Kit answers again.

"Retail sector?"

"Uh huh. And, ya know, I'm actually glad he's taking a break. My baby works so hard." She rubs my arm. "He could use a bit of down time."

"Right." He looks across to the other man at his table then back to me. "So what? He doesn't talk?"

"I..."

"He's very shy." Evelyn says happily. "And that's okay." She pats my hand as if to comfort. "You talk when you're ready to talk. We understand."

"A shy out of work aspiring artist who used to work retail. Huh." The four at the other table give each other disapproving looks.

"Something wrong?" Kit bristles, itching for them to say something she could snap back at. The whole energy was all wrong right now.

"Mmm? No, no, nothing wrong." Gregory says.

"A charming pair aren't they?" Julie says.

Kit slowly tilts her head right and lets a bit of ghetto come through in her sharp tone. "No, what are ya sayin? Is there an issue? Ya never been between jobs before or something?"

They ignore the questions and pose one of their own with what for Kitty was infuriating placidness. "So what brought you two here?"

"The peace and quiet." Kit says directly. "We were looking for a place and saw Alan and Evelyn's ad. It was just perfect. We thought we'd come see how the other half lives. It's real nice out here. We didn't grow up with no silver spoons, ya know?"

"Very nice." Corrects Julie.

"Excuse me?"

"It's very nice, not real nice." Julie says. "And you used a double negative there as well."

"You knew what I meant." Kitty replies curtly as she fixes Julie with a hard stare. The older woman just laughs her off as she would a child, which only annoys my sister further.

Thank God it was then that the food shows up. I was legitimately worried Kit might try to throw hands with this Julie bitch. She might be small but I knew Kit could fight like cornered wolverine if provoked. During the distraction of the the order being laid out in front of us I lean over to my sister. "Hey, calm down."

"They're disrespecting us!"

"It's okay. Who cares. Let them think what they want. It doesn't matter what these assholes think of us."

"Yeah Donny, it does." She lets out a huff. "Fine. Whatever. I'll play the nice wife." She takes a breath. "Sorry."

While this was going on I notice Evelyn leaning over to the other table. I miss the first part of what she said to them but I can just make her out as she finishes. "They're a couple of sweet kids just starting out. Take it easy, alright?"

The others don't look remorseful but they at least respect the request and by the time the breakfast feast had been laid out across our table the cool smiles and polite facade had returned. Mommy had our backs. Evelyn and I glance at each other, each of us realizing this transition might not be as easy as we thought it would be.

***

Chapter 74

Brief as it was the interruption was enough to reset the vibe between the two tables. While fake as a three dollar bill Julie and Gregory at least looked cordial while Kitty had plastered on a more calm and humble expression. Inevitably attention is drawn to the table. In front of Evelyn and Kitty is a single small plate and a cup each. In front of me is a king's banquet of quiche and treats and crepes heaped with mountains of whipped cream.

I look around and shrink in my seat shyly In a small naive voice I peep. "I think I ordered too much."

The self-deprecating icebreaker worked like a charm as all but Evelyn share a laugh at the obviously ridiculous order. Sure Julie and Gregory and the others would think me silly but as far as I could tell that was already their first impression of my anyway. I didn't mind being the butt of the joke as it helped lighten the mood.

Evelyn just beamed her beautiful smiling eyes my way. "Just eat what you can."

"That's my Donny." Kit chuckles. "His eyes are bigger than his belly."

As our table busy ourselves with attending to breakfast Kit and I are both grateful that the others return to their own business. The four of them converse as we begin to eat. Kit plants her elbows on the table and picks up her breakfast sandwich. Under the table I tap her knee with mine and whisper. "Manners."

"Mmm?" She looks at me. "Oh, right." Sitting up straighter she pulls her elbows off to eat more 'ladylike'. It was kinda funny to watch her make a show of it honestly. After taking a small bite and chewing it she daintily dabs the corners of her plump lips with her white cloth napkin. Both of us have to hold in a giggle.

I look to Evelyn and whisper. "It's just breakfast, um, so am I still supposed to put the napkin on my lap or not?" She gives me a very slight nod, her bright eyes gleaming. "Thank you."

As I lay my napkin out over my lap I could sense just how much she wanted to reach over and help me with it. I sense that it killed her not to be able to touch me. When we were alone she was constantly holding me and stroking me and just touching me in a thousand little ways. Simple contact was as much a part of our physical relationship as anything sexual. Sliding my foot toward her I nestle it along side hers which brings a warm smile to her face. We begin to gaze.

Hiding her mouth with her coffee cup Kitty whispers. "Cool it you two. Seriously."

Evelyn tears her eyes away from me. Taking a sip of her espresso she starts up a light and friendly conversation with Kitty as I turn my attention to the feast before me. I try a bit of this and a bit of that, choosing a new plate with each bite. I'd never had quiche before and discover that I quite like it. Everything else was sweet and delicious. I take a swig of my hot chocolate to wash the first tastings down and start again. As I eat I catch little glances from the next table as well as others around us. My overabundance of breakfast had become something of a curiosity as people wondered how much of it I could eat. Pacing myself I take small, deliberate bites and do my best to ignore the attention.

During a pause in the discussion Evelyn looks my way again. "How is it Donald?"

"Delicious!" I say. "But..."

"But?"

Lowering my head I say softly. "It's not as good as my Mom's food."

"Not as...?" Evelyn bites her lips to compose herself a moment before saying. "There's nothing better for a boy than his Mama's home cooking, is there?"

"No Ma'am." I bat my eyes. "Nothing at all."

From my peripheral vision I catch Kitty rightfully cringing at our cringe worthy behavior. I didn't care though. Mommy liked it and that was all that mattered. Besides, it was the truth. I am sure Harper went to a fine cooking school but to these taste buds this stuff couldn't hold a candle to Evelyn's love filled creations.

"You have such fine table manners Donald." Evelyn says. "Your Mom must be so proud of you."

"I hope she is."

"I know she is."

She sighs softly. Her hand moves...then pauses...then reaches out to swipe a little dab of cherry syrup from the corner of my mouth. She simply could not stop herself. And I cannot help but push my cheek into her hand in response. Too quickly she must pull her hand away before anybody else but Kitty noticed. With a quick and subtle dab of her tongue she licks the cherry from her digit and savors the sweetness that had just been on my skin. She looks at me for a moment, then looks back over her shoulder left and right, then to the other table, and then all around. She gives me one last lingering glance. There was a fire in that glance that let me know that she was thinking about me in all of the right ways.

Taking my hot chocolate I take a sit, letting the warm foamy froth coat the area above my lip like a mustache, then set the mug back down again. Without wiping my lip I move on to a forkful of crepe.

Beside me I sense Evelyn nearly vibrating. "Um, Donald."

I look over to her chewing my food with big innocent eyes. "Mmm?"

"Donald." She points at her own upper lip. "You have...you have a little...chocolate..."

"A little what?" I tilt my head, feeling the liquid begin to dribble down around the corners of my lips.

"Goodness sake." Her self control only went so far. Taking up her own napkin she reaches over to wipe the hot chocolate from my lip. Not just a quick swipe either but a series of careful pats all across my mouth. I sit still and soak up the attention like the absorbent napkin that wicked away the mess from my mouth. Unfortunately this draws the notice of the others though. Evelyn finishes up and with a big smile and a shake of her head. "This boy." She says cheerily. "They say artists always have their head in the clouds, it must be true."

"Thank you Evelyn." I say.

"You are welcome Donald."

"Careful Kitty." Comes Julie's snide voice, shattering the warm moment in an instant. "If you're not careful old Evelyn there might just adopt your husband." The three of us laugh at the ridiculous notion, perhaps a bit too much.

"I know, right?" Kitty says, trying to make light of it but with a pointed look our way. "Mama bear can't seem to help herself." She takes my arm to pull me a bit closer and kisses my cheek as she quips. "Easy there Evie. I might get jealous."

I blush and smile bashfully.

"Oh you silly girl." Evelyn rolls her eyes. "These kids are so silly."

"I don't think you have to worry Kitty." Julie says. "I suspect it's just a touch of empty nest syndrome. Am I right?"

"Would you stop." Evelyn waves a hand. "You are all being silly now."

"I remember how she used to coddle her son Eugene." Julie laughs. "She used to dote on him terribly. He was her whole world."

"I didn't and he wasn't." Evelyn denies through a false smile. "I just have a lot of love to give. Besides, it's a mother's right to...dote."

"That's right." I pipe up to agree with her.

"He hated it!" Julie continues. "He'd squirm and complain and try to get away from her."

"He did not!" Evelyn says with rising annoyance.

"Oh he did. Stop denying it." Julie says. "She was always hovering around him and he was always trying to get away."

"We used to joke that that's how he learned to run so fast." Gregory quips.

"It wasn't like that." Evelyn says. "It really wasn't." Whether she knew it or not, and I suspect she did, Julie was poking at the very essence of Evelyn's motherly identity. "Eugene was just rambunctious. That's all."

"I told her not to smother the boy." Julie says sagely. "Isn't that right Evelyn? Didn't I tell you that?"

"Yes." She confirms curtly. "You said he'd become a sissy."

"That's right!" Julie agrees, her eyes flitting toward me for just a split second. "Nobody wants a Mama's boy."

Evelyn's hand still holding the napkin tightens and her voice hardens. "That's not true."

"No worries there though." Julie continues. "Wait until you two meet him. You'll see."

"He's certainly no Mama's boy that lad." Gregory chimes in with an approving nod. "Grew into a real man's man."

"I swear if I were thirty years younger..."

"Enough of that!" Gregory playfully warns his wife to the chuckles of all four. "How is Eugene doing, anyway?"

"Oh, just great." Evelyn says. "You know him, always looking for that next mountain to climb. He's already thinking about his doctorate. He's talking about England, though he says he'll miss the baseball."

"That sounds like Eugene." Gregory says as if he were his biggest fan. "Those English birds won't know what hit them."

"Would you stop." Julie laughs and swats her husband's arm as the others all laugh. Eugene's reputation as a womanizer was obviously well known.

Gregory wipes his mouth and drops the napkin to the plate, signaling to the rest that it was time to go. "I'm glad we ran into you Evelyn. Say hi to Alan."

"I will."

"And I hope things work out with the new tenants."

"We're sitting right here." Kitty says.

"Of course." He grins his smug fat cat grin. "How rude of me." He admits, though offers no apology.

Goodbyes are said and the four of them, thankfully, leave the cafe.

"Well...that could have went better." Kitty says.

"It certainly could have." Evelyn says. "I am sorry if they upset you." Lowering her voice she asks me. "Are you okay baby?"

"Yes Ma'am." I nod.

"Good, good." She says. "I've never seen them so boorish before."

"Because you are one of them." Kit states. "And we aren't."

"I don't know what you mean."

"Of course not." Kitty leans in to chastise us at a whisper. "You two! You are going to blow this whole damn thing if you keep acting this way. Ease up on the lovey eyes and touching each other and stuff, huh? Jesus!"

"Settle yourself my dear." Evelyn reaches across and pats my sister's hand. "It's going to be okay. They think I'm acting a bit maternal, that's hardly out of character for me. Do you honestly believe they'd think I was coming onto Donald with his wife sitting right next to us? Or that I'd bring you two to somewhere so public if something was going on between us?" She sits back confidently and sips her espresso. "I think not."

"You are playing a hell of a game Evelyn." Kitty says uneasily.

"If this was just a game Kitty...you two would not be here right now."

***

Chapter 75

Evelyn slowly turns her small white cup between her fingers and thumb. "But I take your point Kitty. Next time we won't go somewhere so familiar." I liked hearing that there would be next time. Even if we couldn't show our love for each other it was still a lot of fun being out in public with her. "We do have to be careful."

"That's all I'm sayin." Kitty says. Dabbing her mouth with her napkin she sets it down on her empty plate. "I need some fresh air." With that she gets up and walks out leaving Evelyn and I sitting there.

"She's angry?" Evelyn asks.

"Yeah." I say. "She doesn't like being spoken down to. She doesn't like other people thinking they're better than us."

"I can understand that."

"I think she feels out of place. We both thought we'd get a bit more respect out here." I say. "Maybe we were wrong."

"Hold on Donald. Give it time. Don't let Julie and Gregory spoil your opinion. I like to think there are some really good people here."

"I know there are." I smile, wanting so bad to reach out and hold her hand. "For Kitty that actually went really well. You haven't seen her truly angry. She gets that from...well, she comes by it honestly. She could have caused quite a scene there."

"But she didn't."

"No, she knows how much this all means to me. Give her a few minutes and she'll be fine." Out the big back windows of the cafe I see my sister walk out into the park beyond. Closing her eyes she looks up to face the sun as the breeze gently rustles her curly hair. Lowering my voice so that prying ears could not hear I go on. "I want her to be happy. She told me this morning that she fantasizes about having a loving husband." I sigh. "I'm going to try to be that for her. For a little while at least. Not the naughty stuff, obviously, but just...I dunno, the other stuff. She had to grow up so fast looking after me like she did. I don't think it's so bad if we play 'house' for a bit, is it?"

Evelyn leans in to me. When I look over I see her eyes were brimming with pride and love. "No baby. It's not bad."

I let out a soft laugh. "I played son for a stranger and now husband for my own family...who even am I anymore?"

"You are my good boy." She says with heart. "And one hell of a fine man." Her foot presses harder into mine, the most we dared to touch right now in public. "You are so very different from Eugene. For all of his many gifts...empathy is not one of them."

Her words, as her praise always did, makes me feel really good inside. It felt nice knowing that I had something that her perfect Eugene didn't. Glancing left and right I whisper. "I can't wait until we're alone."

"Me neither." She says with a playful twinkle. "I've got something fun planned for us today."

"Oh!" My dick twitches with anticipation. "What is it?"

She shrugs with a teasing grin. "You'll see."

"Please tell me?" My bottom lip sticks out in an exaggerated pout.

"You stop that young man!" She taps my hand with a finger. "You'll find out after our walk."

"Yes Ma'am." I say with a giggle.

"Go." She says warmly as she looks out to Kitty milling about in the park. "Be with her." She looks over the half-eaten feast in front of me. "I'll get this packed up and catch up with you." She puts her handbag onto her lap and digs out a couple of c notes! I thought she was about to leave one hell of a tip but instead she covertly slips the bills into my hand. I grip it quickly to hide it from others. "Buy her some flowers. There's a florist next door. Peonies, the bigger and brighter and more outrageous the better. Put something nice on the card, something personal and real. Make a show of giving it. Be proud to be with her. Make her feel like...your whole world." There is a wistful look in her eyes as she seemed momentarily lost in a bittersweet memory. Had Alan done this for her in the past? Somebody else? I could only guess.