Songbird

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I love you, Ethan."

"I love you too, Heather."

With a final sad smile, they turned and walked away, not realizing that this would be their last time together for several years.

*****

Heather sat at the piano, almost on autopilot. Her fingers played the notes while she sang the words, but all she could do was think 'he's here for me.' She tried to look at him, but her eyes were filled with tears and everything was a blur.

Then she felt a presence next to her on the piano bench. She thought it was Amanda, but when she looked up, it was the ghostly figure of her father, smiling at her. She hesitated for just a moment, but then kept going. And as she sang, she kept hearing him say 'sing for me, Songbird, just like we used to do.'

So she sang...

To you, I'll give the world

To you, I'll never be cold

'Cause I feel that when I'm with you

It's alright, I know it's right

*****

The next years were busy ones for both Ethan and Heather. During spring training, Ethan was taken aside by the GM of the White Sox, who told him to be patient. They had a number of good pitchers ahead of him in the system, so they were going to bring him along slowly.

"I know you're disappointed to hear this, but we all think it'll be for the best. So just go out every day and show us what you can do."

Ethan was disappointed, but vowed to not let it slow him down. He had a great year for the Double-A team in Birmingham, and the year after he split his time between Double-A and Triple-A (Charlotte). The year after he spent the entire season at Triple-A, and was being considered for a call-up at the end of the year. But once again, fate shook its head.

Several weeks before the end of the season, the Knights were playing a series against the SWB RailRiders, the Triple-A team for the Yankees. Ethan didn't know it, but his high school basketball nemesis, Jamie Wilson, was a player on the team. Ethan was the starting pitcher for the opening game when he was going over the lineup with his catcher and saw Wilson's name.

"Shit. I can't believe that idiot is actually playing ball at this level. He's the one I told you about who cheap shot me in high school. I hope he's changed, but I doubt it."

The game was close, and Ethan pitched into the 7th inning when all hell broke loose. He had to cover the plate on a close play, when Wilson barreled into him, knocking him over. Ethan hit his head hard on the dirt, and lay still for several moments. Suddenly, they were surrounded by players from both benches, as Ethan's teammates came out in support. The replay showed Wilson gave Ethan another cheap shot - as they collided, it looked like he punched Ethan in the jaw. There was a lot of pushing and shoving, but not much else. Ethan was helped to the locker room where the trainers began to check him over.

"Ethan, how are you feeling?"

"I'm not sure. My head hurts. And my jaw. What happened?"

"It seems Mr. Wilson decided to give you a cheap shot, and punched you as he ran you over. Your head hit the dirt pretty hard, so we're going to put you into concussion protocol. And as for Mr. Wilson - well, just leave him to your teammates. Now, let's get you up, to the hospital and then back to the hotel."

Ethan ended up with a minor concussion, so the top brass said to pull him for the rest of the season. Once he had his wits about him, the first thing Ethan did was call his mom, and let her know he was alright. He tried calling Heather, but he kept getting her voice mail, so he left her several messages, but she never called back.

He was home for Christmas that year, but Heather and her mom were on a cruise with some family members, so Ethan didn't see her once again. He was beginning to believe she had moved on from him, but didn't know for certain.

That next spring, he started the year with the Triple-A team once again, but two weeks into the season, his manager called him into his office before a game. Hoping for the best but fearing the worst, Ethan knocked on the door.

"You wanted to see me, skipper?"

"Ethan, come on in and take a seat. I have good news and bad news for you. Which do you want first?"

"The bad."

"Ok - you're not pitching tonight. We're pulling you from the rotation, effective immediately."

"Ok, but why?" I've been pitching really well this year. What's up?"

"That's where the good news comes in. You've been called up. Jack Kent blew out his elbow last night and is looking at Tommy John surgery, so he'll be out the rest of the year. You've got a plane ticket for the morning, direct to Chicago. Someone will meet you at O'Hare and bring you to your hotel, and then the park. And the night after, you'll be the starting pitcher. Congratulations, Ethan. You've earned this."

Ethan sat in stunned silence, letting the news sink in. His manager sat behind his desk with a huge grin on his face, letting Ethan know how he felt about it.

"Thanks, skipper. That's something I've been waiting to hear my whole life. I won't let you down."

"I know. Just pitch up there like you do here, and the next time I see you will be in Arizona for spring training. Good luck, son. Give 'em hell."

Stepping into the locker room, his teammates began to shout and applaud. They all knew how difficult it was to make it to the show, and they all were happy for him. Ethan knew he'd miss them, but was anxious to head to Chicago and show them what he can do.

Later, he called his mom to tell her the good news.

"Mom, guess what. I'm heading to Chicago tomorrow - I've been called up!"

"Ethan, that's wonderful! Congratulations! We're all so proud of you."

"Thanks, mom. So do you think you can make it to the game? I'm pitching the day after tomorrow."

"Funny you should mention that. Not ten minutes ago, I spoke to the travel manager for the team, and they've already made arrangements for us to meet you in Chicago. The team is paying for our plane tickets, hotel, game tickets, and more. Your sisters are so excited for you. And me - I'm the proudest mom in the world."

"Thanks, mom. I can't wait to see all of you tomorrow. Are you staying at the same hotel as me?"

"Yes, we are. I don't have our travel times yet, but I'll text you when I do.

"Ethan, have you called Heather about this yet?"

"Every time I call her, all I get is her voice mail. She doesn't text me back, and she never answers my emails. Mom, what's going on with her?"

"I'm not sure. But try to let her know as well, even if it's a voice message. I'd talk to Marie, but she's out of town."

"Ok. Mom, I need to go pack, so I'll see you and the girls tomorrow."

"Sounds good. See you then. And Ethan - remember that we all love you."

Their reunion the next day was loud and tear filled. His sister were so excited for him.

"Ethan, we told everyone about you. So many people say congratulations."

"And we can't wait to see you pitch tomorrow. I know you'll be great."

Ethan had to leave to head to the ballpark and meet his new teammates. He knew many of them from spring training, so he was excited to see them again. So when he walked up to the player's entrance, he was surprised when the guard just waved him in.

"Good luck tomorrow night, kid."

That night was like a dream. Meeting the manager and the coaches. Saying hello to the other players. His locker with his uniform hanging in it with his name and number stitched on. He was so excited he could hardly stand it. He had made it!

That night, he sat in the bullpen with the other pitchers, talking and watching the game. Several of them gave him pointers and things to think about. Then Ethan had a question.

"How do you block out the noise of 40,000 people?"

They all laughed and said,

"You don't. You just deal with it."

The next day, Ethan got to the park early. He had breakfast with his family, and they showed him the jerseys the team had given them... with his name on the back. All three hugged him when he left, and as his mom gave him a kiss on his cheek, she whispered in his ear.

"You dad is so proud of you, Ethan. And so am I."

At the park, Ethan was nervously going through his usual pre-game routine. After a while, Johnny Kerr, the premier catcher in the league, sat next to him.

"Nervous, kid?"

"No - petrified is more like it."

"Good - you should be. Have you had a chance to look at the book on these guys?"

"Not yet. That was my next thing to do."

"Ok. Let's sit together and go over their lineup. You've faced some of them before in the minors, so don't get too intimidated because they're the Yankees."

"The Yankees? That's who we're playing?"

"You didn't know? You need to pay better attentions, kid. Be right back."

'Crap' thought Ethan. 'I bet that asshole Wilson is playing.'

As Ethan and Johnny talked, Ethan told him about his run-ins with Wilson. His catcher just smiled and patted him on the knee.

"So do you want to hurt him, or humiliate him?"

"If I hurt him, I'll probably get fined or sent down, and I've worked too hard for that. What do you have in mind?"

"Leave that to me, kid. Just follow my calls. And don't you dare shake me off tonight."

As he finished his last warm-ups, Ethan heard his sisters yelling his name over the din of the huge crowd. He didn't dare try to find them in the stands, so he just smiled at the sound.

"Ok, kid, here we go. Nice and easy - just play pitch and catch with me."

His first pitch was a strike, and he breathed a sigh of relief. After he struck out the batter, his catcher tossed the ball into the dugout for a keepsake. And the game went on.

In the bottom of the third inning, Wilson came to bat in the ninth spot. Ethan and Johnny had talked about their strategy, and he was ready to go.

"Nothing but heat, kid. Inside and tight, but don't hit him. Intimidate him."

His first two pitches were fast and tight - one ball and one strike. Strike two came on another inside pitch, which Wilson fouled off, breaking his bat. As he went to get another, the umpire talked to Johnny.

"The kid isn't trying to hit him, is he? Not a good way to start."

"Nope. Just intimidation. They have a history, and not a good one. Give the kid a break, JJ. It's all good."

"If you say so. Play ball!"

Another inside pitch, this time at 97 mph, was a ball. Another foul ball, and the count was even at 2-2. So Johnny thought it was time to finish this. He signaled for a breaking pitch, outside. It started down the middle, and as Wilson began to swing, the pitch broke outside, and Wilson missed it by a foot.

"Strike three!"

The game went on. By the sixth inning, the Sox were ahead 4-0, and Ethan had a perfect game going. The last batter came up, and it was Wilson once again. This time, Ethan fed him nothing but breaking balls, running the count to 3-2. Johnny called for a fastball, inside, and Ethan hit the spot precisely, striking him out once again.

By the top of the ninth, Ethan still had the lead, now at 9-0. Plus, he still had a no-hitter. He had given up several walks, but they were both erased by double plays. The first batter hit a drive to deep center, but it was caught at the wall. The next batter hit a hard ground ball to short, but the shortstop fumbled it and was charged with an error.

"Sorry about that, kid."

"Don't worry about it. You saved my ass twice last inning. I just want to finish this."

The third batter gave everyone a scare as he hit the first pitch right back at Ethan. All he could do was put his glove up for protection. The force of the drive knocked his mitt into his face, knocking him down. The stadium got quiet as the trainers and other players rushed to Ethan's side.

"Kid, are you ok?"

Ethan looked up at the concerned faces.

"What happened? Did they get a hit?"

"Look in your glove, doofus. You caught the ball before it took your head off. Get up so you mom doesn't have a heart attack."

Ethan stood up to the rousing applause of 40,000 people. He was ok, but took several warm-up pitches just to be sure. Looking up, the last batter was Wilson. Johnny stood at the mound with Ethan a moment longer, and smiled.

"Ok, kid. Nothing but heat."

Three pitches later, Ethan had a no-hitter in his first game in the Major Leagues. His teammates surrounded him, splashing him with water as they celebrated. Johnny made sure to save the game ball, and when he saw Ethan's mom by the dugout, he gave it to her. Soon Ethan came over to celebrate with his family. His sisters were crying, laughing, and hugging all at the same time. His mom had tears running down her face. ESPN was waiting to interview him. All was perfect... until he saw another familiar face in the stands, smiling, hugging - and kissing - some guy.

"Heather."

*****

She thought back to that night, the night of Ethan's no-hitter, and the look on his face when he spotted her in the stands. The look of hurt on his face. The look of betrayal in his eyes. It was a moment she still, after all these years, ruminated about.

'Why did I betray him like that? Why didn't I ever tell him I had a boyfriend, and a fiancé? Why did I stop talking to him?'

As she sang, she felt Amanda beside her, playing harmony on her violin. How she could make simple notes sound so soulful, so heart rending, so mournful, so loving she would never figure out. But the duet sounded so perfect, so right, so full of love. And as she played, Amanda smiled and nodded her head towards stage left, exactly where he was standing. And as Heather sang, she looked off stage to sing to him, and only him.

And the songbirds are singing

Like they know the score

And I love you, I love you, I love you

Like never before

*****

While Ethan was busy with his career, Heather stepped back into her studies at CCM. Like before, she was in demand for her piano prowess, but she never let that get in the way of her vocal program. At the same time, she began to write her own music. One of her professors gave her the push, and soon she had several ballads to her name.

Her life changing moment came when two seniors came to her one day.

"Heather, we're forming a band and were wondering if you might be interested. So far we've got someone on percussion, bass guitar, lead guitar and vocals - but we're missing a keyboardist. We'd love to have you join us, and be one of the lead singers as well. Interested?"

"Really? So what kind of music are we talking about?"

"To start, mostly covers of other bands until we can begin to record our own music. Classic rock mostly, with a smattering of newer bands."

"No rap or hip-hop?"

"Nope. That's not our style. What do you say?"

With all the work she already had, Heather wasn't sure she had the time needed to make this a success. But she had always admired the ladies of classic rock - Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks, Joan Jett, Cass Elliot, and Grace Slick, among others. And she loved the music.

"Sure - what the hell. What've I got to lose?"

And so it began. The other three members were seniors, and Heather still had one more year to graduation. She had promised her mom she wouldn't drop out, so the next year was crazy busy. They mostly played clubs in the Cincinnati area at first, but as their success grew, so did the areas they played. Once Heather graduated, their fame began to grow even more, as they toured through the Midwest and beyond.

And before every concert, a single red rose showed up in her dressing room.

One of their tour stops took them to South Bend, and Notre Dame. When Heather saw the new stop, she immediately called Amanda.

"Hey, Amanda. How's my bestest friend in the world doing?"

"Heather! Hey, girl, I've missed hearing your voice. What's up?"

"Not much. Just wondering what you're doing Saturday the 27th at 7:00?"

"Ok, that's really specific. Not much - I usually don't work on Saturday, so I'm free. What do you have in mind?"

"How'd you like to see Southern Cross in concert? We're playing your way."

"What? You're going to be in South Bend? Hell yes, I want to see you. It's been way too long."

"Yeah, it has, and I really miss you, Amanda. I'll send you the details when I get them figured out, ok? Oh, and bring your violin with you. I might try to finagle a way to get you on stage with me."

"That's more than ok. I can't wait to see you. Until then..."

The afternoon of the 27th found Heather and the band on stage doing sound checks when the stage manager called out to her.

"Ms. Anderson, you have a visitor."

Turning to look off-stage, Heather saw Amanda standing there, smiling. The two women ran to each other, enveloping the other in a tight hug.

"Oh my god, Amanda. It's so good to see you. It's been way too long."

"I know, Heather. Talking on the phone just isn't good enough."

"Amanda, let me introduce you to everyone. Everyone, this is my best friend since kindergarten, Amanda Taylor, who also happens to be the best violinist around. Amanda, this is Jessica Klein, our percussionist, Paul Simpson, bass guitar and vocals, and Aaron Stevenson, rhythm guitar, vocals, and best of all, my boyfriend."

Hearing 'boyfriend', Amanda gave Heather a look, but nothing more. Everyone greeted her with hugs, and they continued with their sound checks. The group already decided to have Amanda sit in on several songs, so she was outfitted with a mic for her violin. At the same time, the lighting designer gave her a specific place to stand.

"I don't have time for anything fancy for you, so just stay in this area light so the audience can see you. Ok?"

When they were finished, Amanda and Heather went to find a place to eat and talk.

"So, you have a boyfriend? When did that come around? And why haven't you ever mentioned him to me? And more importantly, have you told Ethan about this?"

"Yeah, this was very sudden. We've been playing together for awhile, and then one day Aaron asked if I'd like to go out with him - on a date. We always got along, but now this was taking things to another level. So we began dating, and we really hit it off. So now we're exclusive. And no, I've not told Ethan. Why should I?"

"Well maybe because he still thinks you two are boyfriend and girlfriend, just doing it at a very a long-distance. Don't you think he deserves to know?"

"Yeah, you're probably right. I promise I'll call him later."

The concert that night was a huge success, with several standing ovations and an audience clamoring for more, even after three encores. The group was relaxing in the Green Room when the stage manager came in with someone they didn't recognize.

"Eddie, we're not ready to talk to anyone right now. Give us some time, ok?"

"No, you need to talk to him. He's from BMI and wants to talk recording contract."

And so it began. BMI offered them a three-year contract consisting of at least three albums as well as setting up cross-country concert tours. They would get time in recording studios and time to write their own music; their first tour would start in 45 days, opening for Ed Sheeran. They knew they had lots of work to do in a very short time, so any thoughts of down time was forgotten. Also forgotten was Heather's phone call to Ethan.

So both went on with their careers, unaware of how the other was feeling. The next spring, Heather was in Chicago with the band, spending time in a recording studio, when her mom called, letting her know of Ethan's promotion to the White Sox.

"Do you think you can get tickets and watch him pitch? Becky and the girls are going to be there."

"I'm not sure. I'll try, but we're pretty busy right now. I'll call Becky and see if she can get me tickets near her."

Once at the game, Heather introduced Aaron to everyone. And all three were surprised when she introduced him as her fiancée. As the game wore on, Heather watched Ethan pitch, mesmerized at how good he had gotten. And the longer she stared at him, the more pissed off Aaron was getting. Finally he said something.

1...34567...9