Songbird

Story Info
Can friends become lovers across time and distance?
31.9k words
4.81
7.6k
30
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Songbird was inspired by the song of the same name by the beautiful and talented late Christine McVie. If you know the song, you've heard her sing of the selflessness of love. If you don't know the song, I urge you to listen to it, and perhaps you'll be moved by the words as I was when I first heard it many years ago (Fleetwood Mac's Rumors album).

This fictional story uses several real places and names - used solely because they are there. I also realize that the White Sox winning several World Series and becoming a powerhouse in baseball is also a pipe dream; a true fan can keep hoping, right? Also, there is one scene where the female protagonist is in a dangerous situation regarding kidnapping and non-consensual sex. And as usual, constructive comments and votes are always appreciated. Thanks for reading...

She sat at her piano, thousands of watts of stage lights obscuring her vision of the audience. Her audience - 18,000 people, clapping, shouting her name, filling the air with their adoration of her. She sat there, alone on stage, until the lights went out and she hurried off stage right. She was gone, but the audience still clapped and shouted for her. She turned to her band with a questioning look on her face.

"Has anyone seen...?"

The unfinished question was answered by several people sadly shaking their heads. Tears welled in her eyes as Amanda, her best friend since always, gave her a hug and whispered in her ear.

"You can do it. Once more, you can do it."

Suddenly, the stage lights came back on, now focused only on her piano. And as they did, 18,000 voices suddenly became quiet as they saw the single red rose in a vase now sitting on her piano. The arena was quiet for several moments until one person began clapping. Several more joined in, and soon, all 18,000 people were clapping and calling her name once again.

Pulling from her friend's grasp, she turned and saw the rose. Her heart skipped a beat as one thought entered her brain - 'He's here'.

She began to look backstage for him, but nobody had seen him. Then she looked across the stage and into the stage left wings and her heart fluttered once again. He was here. She made eye contact with him, and he smiled and blew her a kiss. Amanda gave her another hug, and whispered into her ear once again.

"You can do this, one more time. Sing it for us, sing it for them, sing it for you. Sing it for him."

Returning her friend's hug, she turned and sat at the piano, her eyes blurry and wet from her tears. The audience was still yelling and clapping for her, but she shut everything out except one thought - he was here. He was here... for her.

As her fingers lightly touched the keyboard, the arena became quiet as they waited for what they knew was to be her last song... and nobody wanted to miss a note. She closed her eyes, and as she began to play, her thoughts flashed back to the first time she touched a keyboard.

*****

She was four years old, sitting in the living room of the family home. Her father, a classically trained pianist, was sitting at their piano, playing something by Beethoven. As usual, the notes lifted her higher and higher, with her wondering how something so simple could sound so heavenly. Her mother, an accomplished opera singer, was out running errands, so it was just her and her father. And as he played, she made the decision that changed her life. She climbed onto the piano bench next to her father and cuddled into his side.

"Daddy, can you teach me to play like that?"

Her father laughed lightly at his daughter, knowing she had no idea how many years it took him to get to that level. He smiled at her and finished what he was playing.

"I can't teach you how to play what I'm playing, but I can teach you how to play."

"Why can't I learn the same song? It's so pretty."

Still smiling at his precocious daughter, he took her hand and held it against his.

"See how small your hand is next to mine? Your fingers aren't big enough to play this. But, I will teach you other songs that you can play, and when your hands get bigger, I'll teach you more. Ok?"

Looking at their touching hands, she understood.

"Ok, daddy, I'm ready to learn a song."

"So, let me play the song first, and then I'll teach it to you. It's called Chopsticks."

Her father began to play, first using only two fingers so she could hear what it sounded like. Then he began to play with both hands, adding flourishes that made her giggle.

"Ok daddy, my turn."

She began to play, and her father was astonished, as she didn't miss a note. When she finished, he gave her a big hug and told her that she did a great job.

"Daddy, play with me this time, ok?"

And as they played their first duet of many more to come, their house was filled with the sounds of a simple song, accompanied by the sounds of a four-year-old's giggles. They played it together again, and on the third time, their lives changed again as she began to sing along with the notes she was playing. But it wasn't the sound of a little girl - it was the beautiful sound of a more accomplished singer. And her father was amazed.

"Daddy, why did you stop playing? Did I do something wrong?"

"No, baby, you did nothing wrong. I was just surprised to hear you singing. I've never heard you do that before."

She smiled at her father, almost laughing.

"Did I do good, daddy?"

"Sweetheart, you did wonderful. Have you ever done that with mommy before?"

"No. I wanted to surprise you. I've done it sometimes in my room, but quietly, so you and mommy wouldn't hear me. Am I in trouble?"

Hugging her tightly, he laughed.

"No, sweetheart, you most certainly are not in trouble. Let's do it again, and then when mommy comes home, you can surprise her too."

As they waited, they played the song again and again, and each time she sang along. Taking a break, her father hugged her tight and kissed the top of her head.

"You sound just like a songbird when you sing."

"Do you think mommy will be surprised? Will she like it?"

"Mommy will be very surprised, and I know she'll love it."

Just then, the sound of the garage door opening stopped them. It was her mother, returning from shopping. As she stepped into the family room, all she heard was whispers... and her daughter giggling.

"All right, you two. What's going on?"

"Mommy, daddy and I have a surprise for you. Sit down so we can show you."

"Ok, but first you two have to help me put the groceries away. Then I'll sit and listen."

Ten minutes later, all was ready.

"Marie, why don't you sit on the couch, and I'll sit here with Heather. Ready, songbird?"

"Ready, daddy."

And they began. First they played the song using only two fingers each. When they finished, mom began to clap, and Heather stopped her.

"Not yet, mommy. We're not done."

Smiling at her husband and daughter, she sat back down and waited for the rest. They began to play again, but this time added the flourishes that made Heather giggle as she played. And then they began to play again, but this time, Heather began to sing along like she did with her dad. Hearing the beautiful tones emanating from her daughter, Marie was astonished, as she had never heard Heather sing before.

Soon they finished, and Heather stood and bowed, her face glowing with a wide smile. Both her parents stood and clapped; Heather then ran to her mother who gave her a tight hug.

"Did you like our concert, mommy? Daddy thought you would."

"Yes, baby, I loved it."

"But why are you crying?"

"I'm crying because I'm so happy. You were wonderful, sweetie."

"Thank you, mommy. Can I go play in my room now?"

"Yes, go ahead. I'll call you when dinner is ready."

Smiling, Heather skipped off to her room while her parents sat together, quietly talking.

"Joseph, where the hell did all that come from? Did you know she could sing like that?"

"No. I had no idea. I was practicing when she sat next to me and asked me to teach her how to play. I figured Chopsticks was the easiest for her to learn, but when she opened her mouth and that sound came out, I was floored. She said she sometimes sang in her room, quietly, so we wouldn't hear. When she told me, she thought she was in trouble.

"I told her I'd teach her some songs now, and as her hands got bigger I'd teach her more difficult songs. We probably need to teach her how to read music as well."

"Agreed. And if she ever wants to stop singing or playing the piano, we need to be sure to let her. I don't want to be one of those parents who force their kids to do something they don't want to do."

"Absolutely. Let's make dinner and talk some more about this."

And so it began. Over the ensuing years, Heather learned to read music and then began to learn to play more difficult pieces. Her mom worked with her on singing techniques, so she began to grow her musical talents in two disciplines.

When she was 10, she began to sing and play in the local youth chorus and orchestra, and when she was 12, she was invited to play one night with the local symphony orchestra. The big hit of the night was when she played along with her father a version of dueling pianos, with the orchestra backing them up. When they finished, the audience gave them a standing ovation, and the maestro invited them to play an encore. They smiled at each other and sat at their pianos. Nodding to the conductor, they began to play... Chopsticks. The audience first laughed, but when they began to play with a classical flourish, the full orchestra joined in. When they finished, they got another standing ovation, and Heather reveled in the sound and adoration. She realized then, that on stage, in the spotlight, is where she wanted to be.

And life went on. As the years went by, Heather's expertise in music grew, much to the delight of her parents. She was an excellent student at school, and had many friends both inside her music world as well as outside. Her best friend, Amanda, who she had known since kindergarten, was also a member of the youth orchestra, playing the violin. The two were inseparable, often spending more nights at the others house than their own.

They would often practice together, and their sessions would inevitably end up with Amanda goading Heather to sing as she played.

"Come on, songbird, you know you want to. Let's hear those pipes of yours."

After looking and sounding angry with her friend, Heather would start to play and sing something from Broadway, and Amanda would then join in. Soon the two were giggling with each other, and their impromptu concerts would often end in gales of laughter.

When Heather turned 15, three major events occurred that changed the course of her life. First was entering high school. She knew many of her fellow classmates, but instead of students from one middle school, she was in a building with students from three different schools. She knew she was not one to actively cultivate friendships, so she hoped that being in orchestra and chorus would help her make new friends.

The second event was the new neighbors next door. The house had been empty and for sale for several months, and suddenly one day, a moving van showed up. Heather was anxious to see who the new people were - hoping that at least one would be her age. A minivan pulled into the driveway, and she started to watch through the window blinds to see who the new people were.

"Heather, stop spying on the new neighbors. If you want to see who they are, go over, introduce yourself, and ask if they need anything. Then be a good neighbor and help them. And come get me if they need something."

So Heather went over, introduced herself, and found out the family consisted of a mom and three kids whose father was in the army and had been killed in Iraq. Becky (the mom) was very gracious, and introduced the family - Rose was 9, Abby was 12, and Ethan was 15 and starting at the same high school as Heather. Soon the four kids were jabbering away while moving boxes to the correct rooms. They worked for several hours when there was a knock at the open kitchen door. Marie stood there holding a plate of chocolate chip cookies and a small cooler with bottles of cold water.

"Come in. You must be Marie. Heather's told us so much about you, I feel like I've known you forever. Please meet my family - Ethan, Abby, and Rose. Kids, this is Marie, Heather's mom. And she has treats for all of us."

Soon everyone was talking as if they'd known each other all their lives. After a while, Joseph joined them, giving Marie a big hug as he entered. Heather thought that was strange, but chalked it up to her dad being her dad.

Soon the moving van was empty, and the house was filled with boxes. They made sure each bedroom had the correct bed set up in them, and then decided to break for supper.

"How about we order some pizza and sit at our house and enjoy it. At least there we'll have a table and chairs to sit on instead of the floor."

As they ate, Heather kept looking at the interactions with her mom, her dad, and Becky. They acted like they knew each other - but how could they? Finally, Heather couldn't take it any longer, and sat next to her mom.

"Ok, mom, what's going on? How do you and Becky know each other? You act like you know her, but she just moved in. What gives?"

Marie smiled and put her arm around her daughter.

"I thought it would take you longer to figure it out, but I guess I was wrong. Becky and I have been friends since middle school. I was her maid of honor at her wedding. When I heard about Jeff getting killed in Iraq, I reached out to her, knowing she would be looking for someplace to move to. It just so happened the house next door was for sale, and she jumped at the chance to move back here. Her parents still live in town, so they're happy she brought her family here to live. You're ok with this, right? Especially with a good looking boy right next door who happens to be the same age as you."

"Ok, mom. Don't start making wedding plans yet. We barely know each other. At least give me a week or two, alright?"

As it turned out, Ethan and Heather hit it off. They had several classes together, and she introduced him to her friends. But he wasn't into music like Heather. Instead, Ethan played sports - very well, it turned out. He was a wide receiver in football, a forward in basketball, a long-distance runner in track, and a pitcher in baseball. His two favorites were football and baseball, and he excelled in both.

The third major event occurred several months later. Several weeks before Thanksgiving, her father was playing piano with the orchestra for a holiday pops concert staring several Broadway singers. The night was filled with show tunes, and everybody was getting into a holiday mood. When the concert ended, Joseph was taking bows alongside the singers when he suddenly collapsed on stage. At first people thought it was part of the show, but when he didn't move...

One of the violin players was an ER nurse, and she jumped into action. At the same time, a trauma doctor was in the audience, and he jumped on stage to help. The ushers quickly emptied the auditorium for everyone except Heather, Marie, Amanda, Becky, and Ethan, who were all sitting together. Soon the EMTs arrived, but it was too late.

When Heather realized the outcome, she burst into tears and fell to the floor, embracing her father. Her heart-rending sobs filled the empty auditorium. Marie looked at Becky and fell into her arms, sobbing herself. Ethan and Amanda stood off to the side, holding each other, trying not to cry, but not succeeding.

After that, Heather crawled into a shell, interacting with people only when she needed to. Her teachers understood, and gave her lots of leeway at school. Her friends understood as well, and Amanda made it known that anything Heather needed, she only had to ask. Her piano sat untouched. The songbird had no desire to sing again.

*****

When Thanksgiving rolled around, Marie and Heather had no desire to cook a full meal like usual. Still deeply grieving the loss of her husband, Marie couldn't find the inspiration to enter her kitchen with those types of plans. They spent the day quietly, reading and watching movies, trying not to cry at Joseph's absence.

Late afternoon, the front doorbell rang, and Marie answered. Standing there were Becky and her family, holding various bowls and covered plates.

"I know today has been difficult for you, so we thought we'd share our leftovers with you. Sometimes a cold turkey sandwich can go a long way to lift someone's spirits. May we come in?"

Tears welling her eyes at the thoughtfulness of her friend, Marie opened the door, and her arms, and welcomed her neighbors in. Soon everyone was talking and eating, and the grim mood had, at least for a short while, lifted.

Later, Heather was in the living room with Ethan and his sisters. She was sitting on the couch alone, looking like she was going to cry once again. Suddenly, Rose and Abby sat on either side of her, cuddling into her side. Surprised, Heather put her arms around the young girls and held them tight. Then, Rose looked at Heather with a very serious look on her face.

"Heather, I know you're still sad about your daddy. Abby and I are still sad about our daddy, so we know how you feel. If you ever need to talk about anything, you can talk to us. When daddy died, we had people from the Army help us by talking to us. You don't have that, but you do have us. One thing they said was that it was ok to be sad, and to even cry once in a while, but to not let it change us too much. They said we should try to find things that made us happy and to focus on those. I know one thing that makes you happy is playing your piano and singing. We haven't heard you doing that, so when you want to feel better, you should play something. I bet you'll feel better. Ok?"

With tears filling her eyes, Heather pulled the two girls closer and looked across the room at Ethan, who sat there with a smile on his face. Heather gave him a small one in return.

"Thank you, girls. This means a lot to me."

*****

Christmas Eve found Heather and Marie sitting by their fireplace, drinking hot cocoa. Joseph had loved Christmas, and each year threw himself into decorating the house, both inside and out. But this year, they couldn't bring themselves to do any decorating or celebrating of any kind. They also decided not to buy any gifts for each other, as the thought of celebrating the holiday was one they couldn't get into.

After a while, Marie went to refill their cups while Heather stoked the fire. As she did, she heard a commotion in their front yard - quiet voices talking and lots of people saying 'shhhh'. Peeking out the curtains, she was shocked by what she saw - Becky and her family, along with several other families from their neighborhood, standing in their front yard. Ethan was putting lights on a tree just off their porch, while others were putting other decorations on the lawn.

Yelling for her mom, Heather opened the front door to a loud chorus of "Merry Christmas". Stepping up to the door, Becky had a large smile on her face.

"We all know how much your father loved decorating for Christmas. And I know you and Marie were not planning to celebrate anything this year, but we all decided to help you out and try to lift your spirits. So would you mind if we all joined you tonight?"

Heather and Marie looked at each other, and then at their gathered neighbors and friends. They couldn't believe they would do something like this, and were both taken aback. But finally Marie softly said 'yes, please come in'. Soon their house was filled with the joyous sounds of friends talking, filling the house once again with laughter.

Ethan was the last to come in, dragging a Christmas tree, already decorated.

123456...9