Space Cherry Pt. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Don't mention it Skip," SARA said happily.

"Aww, SARA," Cherry said, pulling a loose dress over her head in the garden, "that is so kind of you, What would we do without you?"

"It was my pleasure Cherry," SARA replied, "and the question is: what would I do without all of you!"

SARA - or the Systems and Recovery Assistant - was the new E16's AI. Together with the more than 250 drones and bots of various sizes and types, she was the brains of the ship and the only reason the behemoth that was E16 was able to operate with a human crew of just five.

Everything about the new E16 was sleek and modern. Much of its massive bulk was made up of cargo spaces of various sizes, many with external doors on either side of the hull. This included the giant landing bay towards the rear of the ship where the former E16, now Andrea (in honor of Heb's late mother) was happily berthed when not in use. Four passages ran the length of the ship, two port and two starboard, a dorsal and a ventral on each side. They were large enough to handle standard cargo containers and a system of built in rails was adjustable to the various sizes and also allowed travel by small transit pods for the crew between the engine room aft and the main crew concourse forward.

The ship had been designed with a small crew in mind, though perhaps not as small as five. They were all glad the interior of the crew areas didn't entirely match the exterior. They were furnished and decorated in warmer, more homely colors than the cold, shining silver of the hull and the cargo areas.

Off the wide main crew concourse on the second highest deck, there were eight crew cabins, luxurious by the standards they had been used to. Each had a private bathroom, plenty of storage space, a large double bed and plenty of windows. A deck higher, there were two more cabins that were even more well-appointed than the others, one for the captain and one for the first officer.

This had caused a slightly awkward conversation when they'd first come on board, but Cherry had been grateful it didn't last long. Without much discussion, there was universal agreement that Heb should remain the Captain, notwithstanding that they all had equal shares in their new enterprise, but that Cherry should definitely get the nicest cabin given that she was responsible for their new found wealth. A sense of chivalry meant that Natalie was offered the other more plush cabin when she came on board at the end of their maiden voyage from Hyfax 7 to Cremufax.

Crem had been Cherry's choice for their maiden voyage, as had the suggestion of adding Natalie to their partnership as a fifth equal member. Both ideas had also met with universal and enthusiastic approval.

A little further forward on the crew concourse, there were three separate lounges, one that was a kind of bar, another that was a movie theater (complete with popcorn machine), and the third - and largest - was an observation area a deck higher at the top of the hull, with panoramic windows offering incredible views of the starscape beyond. Separate to the observation lounge at the top of the hull was a garden with mature trees and plants from many worlds that served not only as a recreational space but also aided the ship in replenishing its oxygen supply.

Alongside all this, to the aft end of the crew concourse was a fully equipped gym, including a swimming pool, hot tub and sauna. The medical bay in the same part of the ship was state of the art with three beds and the latest AI controlled automated surgical bay capable of performing a wide range of surgeries and procedures.

The enormous galley where SARA had summoned them now was the hub of the crew concourse, the heart of the ship. As they arrived that morning, they found the bots had prepared for each of them their favorite breakfast in honor of the occasion and they fell into the usual pleasant conversation as they ate.

"Excuse me everyone," SARA said some time later, her face appearing on the holographic display along the galley's wall, "I really hate to interrupt the occasion, but I'm afraid I have something a little concerning on sensors."

"What is it SARA?" Heb asked.

"Well Skip, we have four unidentified vessels on an apparent intercept course, approaching at high speed. They are not broadcasting any recognizable transponder or IFF signals. My analysis suggests they are likely Galberon pirates."

"The Galberons!" Tor bellowed, a broad smile on his face, "Those little fuckers just don't know when to quit, do they?"

"Now Tor," Natalie said, twisting one corner of her mouth up just a touch, "you know it's not polite to refer to a species by their size."

"Sorry Nat," the big engineer replied sheepishly.

"Besides, not everything about them is little you know. Isn't that right Cherry?" Natalie went on, smiling broadly now.

"Oh fuck off Nat!" Cherry said, grinning as she threw a piece of fruit in the other woman's direction. "You are incorrigible!"

"Well that's the understatement of the century," Fem chimed in with a grin of his own.

"You're all incorrigible!" Heb said finally. "SARA, activate defensive systems and charge all weapons, we're on our way," he went on, standing up, a small smile of his own on his face.

"OK everybody, you know the drill. Fem - take the helm, Tor - man the power board, Nat - you're on damage control and comms and Cherry - you're on weapons."

"Aye, Aye Skip," they said in unison.

***

The end.

For now.

The adventures of Cherry and the crew of E16 will continue.

***

A part of the story above is inspired by and very much an homage to one of my favorite sequences from a well-known Sci-Fi franchise. To those who recognize it: I hope you enjoyed it and if not, I beg your indulgence.

To the reader who is an inducted casino gambler, I also beg indulgence for the dramatic licence taken above with the rules and procedures of certain casino games.