Star Trek - Synthetic Kisses Ch. 01

Story Info
Briefing the Enterprise crew of the situation on Kuppam IV.
1.9k words
4.38
2.8k
3
0

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 12/01/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Story Blurb: Lieutenant Commander Kannara from the U.S.S. Iroquois awaits the Enterprise on Starbase 74 in the outlying areas of explored space in the Alpha Quadrant. Her starship has been attempting to save a colony of humans who have a long and mysterious history in the depths of unexplored space. The Iroquois cannot save the colony alone, but the Enterprise must move quickly if there is any hope for rescue. Kannara is anxious to meet the infamous crew of Starfleet's flagship, but the real excitement is in the opportunity to meet someone she has admired for years - Lieutenant Commander Data.

This is a slow burn love and rescue mission sci-fi story - The smut comes later.

Chapter One

The large docking bay sounded a warning and began to open to the darkness of space. The field of energy preventing the bay's contents from being vacuumed into space glowed faintly as the vast hull of the U.S.S. Enterprise came into view. I watched, perplexed, as this state-of-the-art space vessel maneuvered carefully into the docking bay at Starbase 74.

The ship's saucer section showed some damage. Spots on the grey hull were darkened and scarred from phaser fire. Clearly, her time between visits to a starbase had meant some battles for the Galaxy-class ship and her crew.

The ship's warp engines cleared the bay, and she was slowly positioned to attach loading platforms to the left and right sides of the ship. There came another alarm as docking was complete, and the bay doors lowered silently back into place, sealing the bay off from the vastness outside.

I let out a sigh as I watched the silhouettes of human bodies begin moving through the platforms from the ship. For days I had anxiously awaited the Enterprise arrival, now it was time to meet Captain Picard and inform him of the situation on Kuppam IV.

***

"We have been watching this colony for six months, sir," I said, facing the powerful man who captained Starfleet's flagship. "They are in grave danger, but the Iroquois cannot stop the radiation. We need the Enterprise."

Jean-Luc Picard stared at me from the head of the conference table. I straightened my spin to make myself look more confident in my request.

"Mr. Data, how far away is the Kuppam system?" Picard asked.

The android looked away from everything, staring off to the side as his positronic brain worked through his memory banks.

"It is 14.454 lightyears from here, sir. At warp nine, it would take one week, four hours, seven minutes and..."

"Thank you, Mr. Data," said Picard, cutting the android off.

Data gave a nod and looked over at me. I felt that I was smiling at him and tried to gain control of my features and focus on the captain.

"Lieutenant Commander Kannara, that section of the Alpha Quadrant is mostly unexplored. I am surprised that the U.S.S Iroquois is that far into uncharted territory. It is an Ambassador-class starship and is nearing its retirement," said Picard.

"Yes, Captain. We were willing to spend the last few years aboard our ship helping the out-skirting colonies as much as we could. For some of us, that ship is the only home we know," I said.

Picard's firm features softened a little at my words.

"The Iroquois has spent a good 25 years in service. I'm certain there are members of her crew that grew up in her bows and became ranking officers of their own."

"Yes, sir. Including myself. I was born on that ship."

"Were you? And to have climbed into your rank as quickly as you have? That is impressive. You must have a fine captain."

"We wouldn't be here without him. And we will not be able to save those people on Kuppam IV without you."

Picard's mouth hardened back into the stoic look he seemed to always wear, and he thoughtfully paced around the conference table.

"These colonists are human, but they have no knowledge that they come from Earth?"

"No, sir. Their arrival to the planet is still a mystery, but we estimate that the colony arrived around 300 to 400 years ago. Long before we had warp drive technology. But they are certainly from Earth and have long since forgotten their mother world or how they got to the planet."

"How did you know the colony was out there?" asked Commander William Riker. His handsome eyes pierced through me, and I knew he could sense a lie as easily as the Betazoid at his side.

"It was not intentional. We were moving casually between star systems, seeing what kind of life we might find out there as we made our way to the next mission. One of the glories of nearing retirement is that we get the freedom to take a detour or two," I said.

"And that is when you found the colony and witnessed its star having its tantrum?" said Riker.

"Yes, sir. We knew there were lifeforms on the planet. We learned that they were human and quite primitive. They have long since lost the technology they left Earth with. They even lack electric lighting. We observed, obeying the prime directive, and were ready to move on. That's when their star started to show signs of a solar storm," I replied.

"Sir," Data chimed in. "I have accessed the Iroquois logs regarding the Kuppam system. The planet has several rings that periodically shower debris and radiation onto the planet. The atmosphere on Kuppam is heavier than Earth's, keeping it habitable. But it appears that the solar flares from the storm are blowing dangerous amounts of radiation from the rings onto the planet's surface."

I stared at the android. I was curious about this rare and complex individual.

"You accessed our logs? When? I am only just briefing you on this mission."

"Yes, Commander. I can access federation's ship logs through my neuro-net," Data replied.

Picard finished his pace around the room and sat at the head of the table. He looked at me, his finger resting over his mouth and his expression thoughtful.

"If the Kuppam star is experiencing a solar storm and we are a week away, will we have enough time to save these colonists?"

I nodded my head. "Not only is the atmosphere providing some protection, but this population of people has been evolving these past few centuries. It is not uncommon for the rings to shower radiation, but they are still human. Their genome has not been altered enough to provide the same level of protection as the others species on the planet. We strongly believe that it will, given more time."

Dr. Beverley Crusher wrapped her arm around her chest, her look far off and calculating.

"I can provide medication to the colonist to help with the radiation poisoning. I may even be able to help progress their genetic evolution along a bit," she said.

"Is that wise, Doctor?" asked the captain. "Would we not be going against the prime directive?"

"But they are human," I protested. "If we have the opportunity to help evolution along, we should. Otherwise, when this happens again -- and that is when, not if - they might not survive the radiation poisoning."

"We have not helped primitive colonists before. This population is no different," the Klingon, Worf, broke in with a snarl.

"I think it would be best if I examine the genetic makeup of the colonist population," said Dr. Crusher. "See how much the radiation is deteriorating their genome and if I can isolate the alleles that are creating the radioresistance and keeping them alive. Kannara, have your scientists taken samples from the population?"

"We have, but only from one individual. Niko is a leader to the colonists. We have made contact with him so that he may help protect his people from the radiation showers. Niko has been busy preparing underground bunkers in a series of caves near their settlements. They will hide there until the radiation levels return to normal."

"Captain, I would like to study Niko's genome and see what I can do to strengthen their radioresistance. Let's see if it is even possible before we debate the ethics of it," said Dr. Crusher.

"I agree," Picard's deep voice sounded with decision. He tapped his communicator. "Mr. La Forge?"

"Yes, Captain," said the engineer's voice through the device.

"How long until the most necessary repairs are made to the ship?"

"Her hull is pretty banged up, sir. And we need to make repairs to the deflector array. If we are in a hurry, I can bandage over some of the repairs, but we will need to make a trip back to finish the maintenance. Give me say... two days to make the bare minimum repairs."

Picard looked at me questioningly, and I nodded my agreement. Although I wanted to leave today -- immediately, I knew that the Enterprise was coming to starbase because she needed repair. Plus, that deflector dish may come in handy for our mission.

"As soon as possible, Mr. La Forge," said Picard.

"I'm right on it."

"Please escort Commander Kannara to her guest quarters, Mr. Data" Picard turned to me. "And if you could please update Captain Lasker that we plan to rendezvous with the Iroquois in nine days."

"Yes, sir."

We made our way to the turbolift, and Data patiently allowed me to enter the lift first before stepping in beside me.

"Deck seven," said Data.

I stared at the android, feeling suddenly quite unsure of myself. I had read up on the Enterprise crew as I awaited them at starbase, but I had been aware of Data long before. There was a lot of Xenophobia that was associated with his name. Even on my own ship, I had heard the deep distrust, unease, and jealousy born from the flagship's tales and its android lieutenant commander. But when I read those mission logs, the truth was this artificial lifeform, this machine, this man was more an exemplary commanding officer and a true hero.

He turned striking yellow eyes onto me and gave a quirking half-smile that made my heart give a little jump.

"Commander -- you are certain that the colonists on Kuppam have been on the planet since the 21st century?"

I tried to calm my fluttering heart and stop wringing my hands like a nervous academy welp reporting to my first day of duty.

"Yes," I managed to say. "Our archeologists have determined through the colonist's remaining historical archives and storytelling that their arrival may have corresponded with the Hartley comet that passed close to Earth in 2026. Plus, their genome indicates changes in radiation exposure at about 350 to 400 years ago. They have been on the planet's surface a long time."

Data's eyes moved down to my hands, which I was still wringing. Mortified, I jerked my hands behind my back and clasped them together. Data cocked his head to the side as he contemplated my nervous demeanor.

"Are you concerned that we will not be fast enough to assist the Iroquois mission to save the Kuppam people?"

"Of course, I am worried about the colony. Their arrival to a distant planet decades before we had warp nine capabilities is a mystery that will never be answered if these people are destroyed. Plus, they are a vulnerable and unique human population. They do not deserve to die when the rest of the human population has the capability to save them. But that is not why I am fidgeting, Data."

His eyebrows furrowed together. "Then what is distressing you?"

I let out a sigh and managed to say, "I have wanted to meet you for a very long time, Commander."