Strange Bedfellows Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Shara hesitated.

She was still holding Kalus's hand.

He made to move forward with her, but Tyso spoke before he'd taken two steps. "Not you Kalus; I'll deal with you in a minute." He looked at Shara. "Get over here bitch."

The princess whimpered slightly, but started forward with her shoulders back and eyes straight ahead. She might be scared, but she wasn't cowed. The queen and Shara stood next to each other, and even from behind you could see the resemblance. Tyso looked between them for several seconds.

"Handmaiden my ass." He shook his head, then looked at Kalus. "How long have you known?"

"I only learned last night, when Shara confessed."

"And you didn't think to tell me?" Tyso snapped.

"Sire, I had--"

"Shut it Kalus; save your excuses." Tyso spat as he looked at the mother and daughter. He stepped up and roughly grabbed Shara's chin.

Kalus immediately started forward, but he was still a dozen steps from the king when three of the king's guards stepped between him and his wife with swords drawn. He recognized all three; they had once fought in his legion before being promoted to the king's guard. In fact, nearly three-quarters of the king's guard had once fought for him.

"She is mywife! Unhand her" Kalus demanded.

Tyso scoffed as Shara wriggled away from his hand. He backhanded Shara, one of his rings drawing a bit of blood from her fair cheeks. Kalus took a step forward, but stopped as three arming swords touched his chest. He clenched his hand until it hurt, but he could go no farther without being run through.

"Shara!" Queen Hylea called and rushed over to her daughter.

The three members of the King's Guard in front of him held their swords firm, but their expressionsweren't firm. Two of them flicked their eyes to Tyso and the last had drawn his lips into a thin line. All three had their jaws clenched, and Kalus was sure that they weren't doing it because of him.

"She's your wife only for now Kalus, until you divorce her publicly tonight." Tyso said. "This bitch is mine since I need to breed her to secure my heir on the throne."

Kalus took a deep breath before answering. Passion would do no good here; cooler minds produced better outcomes and he needed that more than ever.

"I will not divorce her." He said calmly. "Icannot divorce her, for she has committed no sin or crime that would merit a divorce according to the Book of Light."

Tyso rolled his eyes. "Fine, I'll strip her naked right here; a woman who exposes herself to other men can be divorced according to the Book of Light."

"I will not divorce her, even if you do that." Kalus replied calmly, not mentioning that a woman being forcibly exposed was dubious grounds at best which virtually no one would accept.

He also realized that for the first time, he had something the king needed; he had an advantage. The king needed to marry Shara to cement his claim on the throne, he needed her to bear him a son as an heir. But unless he had a legal marriage before Illuminar and witnesses, the child would be an illegitimate heir. He needed to marry Shara, but Kalus had already done so.

"Fine; then I'll give her to the men; adultery is certainly cause." Tyso said, his volume rising.

"If a woman is forced by a man to lie with him, she shall be held guiltless; there is no sin in the woman who was forced, she is blameless." He looked at Tyso. "Thus says the Book of Light."

A vein in Tyso's head was beginning to throb.

The petulant king clenched his fist as his face took on a slightly red tinge. "You'll do as I say Kalus; you are a commander in my army."

"I cannot disobey the Great God of Light Illuminar, even for you my king." Kalus responded calmly. "She has committed no sin worthy of divorce, so I cannot divorce her even if I wanted to." He looked at her and added. "And I don't want to."

Shara gave him a weak smile.

The three men in front of him seemed to relax slightly, as if pleased with his response. Kalus chanced a glance around at the rest of the king's guard, and roughly half of them were looking at him with respect in their eyes. He knew that some of them had daughters of marriageable age at home; hopefully they understood.

"You're playing a dangerous game Kalus." Tyso said, his tone low and deadly.

"As are you my king." Kalus said with a respectful head bow.

If looks could kill, Kalus would've been dead.

Still, he continued. "My king, you have threatened to force a married woman to lie with men who aren't her husband. Such a sin carries the death penalty in the Book of Light. You do not answer to me, but one day all men will answer for their actions before the judgment seat of Illuminar."

"Are you threatening me Kalus?" Tyso spat.

"Of course not. None but Illuminar Himself can sit in judgment on this matter."

The king glared at Kalus for several seconds, then his gaze shifted to somewhere behind his shoulder. Kalus chanced a glance backwards, and then realized what the king was looking at.

He was looking at Lyra.

"Grab the blonde bitch." Tyso said.

Before his second wife could move, one of the king's guard -- notably a man who'd never served in Kalus's legion -- grabbed her. She started struggling, so he smacked her across the face. Without missing a beat or hesitating, she responded by kneeing him in the crotch.

Hard.

He started to crumple, but two more of the king's guard -- also not ones who had served under Kalus -- drew their swords and pointed them at her. She stopped fighting immediately.

"Leave her alone." Kalus growled, taking a step toward her, but he was stopped by two more of the king's guard; both men who had served under him. They raised their swords to contain him, but didn't look happy about what was going on.

"Bring her to the throne." Tyso ordered, rubbing his hands together with a smile on his face.

Kalus watched helplessly as the two soldiers half dragged Lyra towards the throne and the wicked king. Kalus still had his sword at his side, but drawing against the king's guard would be a death sentence not only for him, but Lyra as well. He was willing to risk his life, but not hers.

Not yet.

Still, he grabbed the hilt of his sword with his non-sword hand and gripped it so tightly that his knuckles turned white.

"I wouldn't commander." One of the men guarding him said, though it came off as less of a warning and more of a plea.

"Tie her hands to the throne." Tyso said when Lyra had been dragged up near him.

"Unhand mywife!" Kalus said, not even trying to conceal his anger.

Tyso glanced at Shara, then sneered. "Then divorce mine."

"Shara isnot your wife." Kalus growled.

Tyso chuckled. "Well then, I'll have to find new ways to motivate you." He glanced at Lyra, whose wrists had now been tied around the arm of the throne, making her butt face the room. "I was right before Kalus; she has such a nice 'seat'. Have you tried her backdoor yet Kalus? I'm sure it's very tight."

"If you lay a single finger on her..." Kalus could feel his entire body shaking with rage.

"Oh, unless you divorcemy next wife, I'm going to lay a lot more than just a finger on her." He spat in return.

Kalus drew his sword.

This wasn't an impulse nor was he reacting on emotion. This was a calculated move. His choice was to either do nothing and let Lyra be raped -- which he wouldn't even consider -- or else draw. He knew it was death to draw on the king's guard, but he also knew the members of the king's guard around him would hesitate because they had served under him. He hoped that would buy him enough time to reason with them.

Tyso grinned. "A widow will work; kill him."

The five men around Kalus all hesitated, as he knew they would.

"You know what Tyso will do." He said to them, leaving his sword in a purely defensive stance to be non-threatening. "And you all know you'll stand before Illuminar one day to give an account for your actions here today."

They shifted uncomfortably.

"What are you waiting for? He drew on the king's guard; kill him." Tyso ordered.

"What will you tell Illuminar on that day?" Kalus asked, ignoring Tyso and turning his gaze on the rest of the king's guard. "Knowing what you allowed to happen here today, how will you face the God of Light? How will you look your wives and children in the eye?"

Several of them glanced at each other, grimaces on their faces.

"What the fuck are you waiting for?!" Tyso thundered.

"What if it was your wife, or your daughter, up there now?" Kalus asked. "Kill me if you wish, but do the right thing; save her."

The five members of the King's guard who were guarding Kalus hesitated another moment. Several of them glanced at each other, as if unsure what to do. Then, it finally happened.

One of them lowered his sword.

The rest followed suit.

"Traitors!" Tyso yelled, the shock evident in his voice. "King's guard to me, kill the traitors!"

Only a half-dozen of them moved. Notably, none of them had ever served under Kalus. The rest turned to face Tyso.

Kalus almost ordered Tyso to let Lyra go, but he seemed to have forgotten her for the moment. Reminding him would make him aware of a very helpless hostage without a shred of protection. No, this needed to be handled delicately.

"King's guard, stand down." Kalus barked.

Even the six men who had looked ready to follow Tyso wavered slightly.

"It's time to choose." Kalus said calmly. "You can choose to follow a king who cowardly left your brothers-in-arms to die in those woods and follow him into wickedness for which you must answer to Illuminar, or you can choose to fight such evil. Make your choice now."

And with that, Kalus strode forward towards the king, raising his sword.

No one stopped him.

No one defended the king.

The king backpedaled, drawing his own sword as he did so. He had only taken a single step before he whipped his sword out, pointing it directly at Lyra, mere inches from her unprotected body.

Kalus stopped.

King Tyso was standing on the platform on which the throne rested and Lyra was still tied by her hands to the throne. There was only a foot or two between the king and Lyra's butt, which thanks to how she'd been tied was still in the air as the ash blonde looked over her shoulder, glaring murder at the king. He was mostly facing her, but his attention was entirely on Kalus. Kalus himself had stopped just slightly out of measure; too far to hit the king where he was. He'd need to take a full step to reach him, and the king could run Lyra through before Kalus could get close enough to defend her.

"Don't take a single step or I'll gut her like a pig." Tyso said, real fear in his eyes for the first time in a long time. Kalus had to admit that it was satisfying to see.

"Do that, and you'll wish you had used the blade on yourself." Kalus said, subtly shifting his posture so he could leap forward at a moment's notice. He doubted that Tyso noticed; he rarely used his sword anymore and had never been particularly proficient in the first place.

King Tyso sneered and opened his mouth to speak, but never got a chance.

Lyra acted.

Apparently, concealed by her dress, she had picked up her one foot completely and she chose that moment to 'horse kick' King Tyso right in the crotch.

He doubled over, stumbling backwards momentarily as he screamed at her. "You fucking bitch!" He drew his sword back for a thrust that would run her through, but her kick had pushed him far enough away that Kalus now had his chance.

He moved.

He wasn't even aware of deciding to move, he just moved faster than he ever had in his life. He leapt forward that last little bit to bring his own sword into range, swinging it down as he did towards the king's bent-over form.

Slice.

He felt only a slight shock in his hand as his blade passed through King Tyso's neck. Still, he didn't let up on the force, powering through the neck to also cut off the king's sword arm.

"Oww!" Lyra hissed in pain as the tip of the sword pierced through her dress and into her side, but thankfully barely an inch of the sword penetrated before it ran out of momentum and clattered to the floor. The wound would be painful, but not life-threatening.

Lyra was safe.

Shara was safe.

Kalus breathed a sigh of relief and said a silent word of thanks to Illuminar. He hurried over to his second wife, set his sword on the ground, drew a small utility knife from his belt, and used it to cut the bonds which held her to the chair. She flung her arms around his neck the moment she was free, thankfully avoiding the utility knife.

"You love me just as much as you love Shara." She whispered.

"Aye." He replied, holding her with one hand and applying pressure to her wound with the other.

She winced.

"I love you enough to ensure that this gets attended to before infection sets in." He said.

"Let me help." Queen Hylea said from where she was, holding her daughter. "I have some small skill with healing magic, enough for such a shallow wound at least. Let me heal her."

"Here, pour this over the wound first." Another voice said. It was King Bracken, and he was looking nearly a decade younger with relief on his face. He was holding what looked to be a bottle of very expensive Elven fire whiskey.

"Thank you." Kalus said to the king as he took the bottle, then he turned to Lyra. "Lay on your side over there with the wound up. I'm sorry, but this will hurt."

He had indicated a spot far enough away that the blood draining from Tyso's dead body wouldn't be in the way. The ash blonde did as instructed, then clenched her teeth. Kalus used his utility knife to slice her dress slightly further to get better access.

"I'll hold the wound open while you pour." The queen volunteered, doing just that.

Lyra sucked in her breath sharply in response, but didn't try to stop her. Kalus poured a little of the alcohol into the wound. Lyra's entire body tensed up and she let out a strangled groan, but she didn't move. He almost smiled; that girl was tough.

"I'll take it from here." The queen said when he was done pouring. She put her hands over the wound, closed her eyes, and began to work.

Knowing that Lyra was in good hands, Kalus stood to find Shara. The princess was standing just behind him watching the ash blonde intently. There was still a bit of blood on her cheek, though it was smeared and it looked like the queen had healed that scrape as well.

It took a moment for Shara to look away from Lyra, but her eyes found his when she did. She looked at him for a moment, then rushed forward and threw her arms around his chest, grasping him more tightly than she had ever done before.

"You're okay." She breathed.

"We're okay." He said as he wrapped his arms around her small, trembling frame. She relaxed into him, almost seeming to melt as she held to him fiercely.

King Bracken cleared his throat.

Shara gave Kalus an extra tight squeeze, then let go and rushed to her father.

"Oof." He grunted as she held onto him, his affection for his daughter plain to see.

"I was so worried father."

"I'm alright child." He said with a smile as he hugged her back.

He was old enough to be her grandfather, owing to the fact that he'd already been middle-aged when he'd married her mother. There was no denying the affection between them though. Kalus would've liked to participate further in the happy reunions, but there was business that needed tending to.

He turned to the captain of the king's guard. "Captain."

"Commander." The other man said with a frown. "You seem to have put the king's guard in a rather precarious position."

"Aye Aurelius, I'm afraid I have." Kalus nodded to the man. "Much depends on what you do next."

Aurelius took a deep breath. "Aye, you're not wrong. There are still twelve thousand soldiers out there. Your legion will have no problem with what happened here, but that still leaves seven thousand soldiers without a king."

"The chain of command would fall to Marcellus next." Kalus grimaced. "He's the most senior commander."

"He's no better than Tyso was, and arguably worse." The guard captain said. "I've not sworn allegiance to him and I would not."

King Bracken cleared his throat. However, it wasn't a confident sound to announce his presence. For lack of a better term, it seemed 'mousey'. He was asking to be noticed, not making his presence known. The difference between the two was subtle, but profound.

When King Bracken spoke, his tone also lacked confidence. "If you are looking for a king, given your actions here today I would more than happily accept you into my service."

Aurelius turned his head -- not his whole body, but just his head -- to look at King Bracken. "No offense intended, but I would not want to be in your service."

"Why?"

"You are -- for lack of a better term -- a weak king." Aurelius replied, stating it as a fact without malice. "It's much of the reason your army failed so miserably in this campaign. I don't doubt your honor, nor that you're a good man. However, that doesn't make you a good king."

King Bracken looked down and didn't disagree.

Kalus felt bad for him; sometimes the truth hurt.

"Have you considered vying for a crown commander?" The captain of the king's guard asked. "Most of the men would support you and I might count myself among them."

Kalus shook his head. "No, I would not seek a crown."

"Then what would you seek?" King Bracken asked. "You have done an invaluable service to me, my family, and my country even, preventing atrocities too horrible to consider. The cities you were left in charge of sing your praises, and word of your protection of the people here in the capital has already reached my ears. What would you seek? If it's within my power, I will grant it."

Kalus looked at the old king, then at his very patriotic first wife before scrutinizing King Bracken. "If you would have me, I would ask that -- once this situation with Tyso's army has been solved -- I would ask that you accept me as a citizen of Timarou."

Shara's mouth fell open.

Lyra's followed suit.

King Bracken and Queen Hylea stared at him, as did Aurelius.

"Why?" Shara finally managed to get out.

"Two reasons." Kalus said. "First, though less importantly, I swore loyalty to a man who's now dead, and thus find myself without sworn loyalty to any country." He then glanced at Lyra, but fixed his gaze on Shara. "More importantly, both of my wives have felt conflicted being married to a man of one country while being patriots of another. I seek to remove that impediment." He smiled at them both.

"You..." Shara's mouth was still open. "You'd do that for me? For us?"

"I would." He replied, then turned to King Bracken. "If you would allow it."

"You have captured the heart of my only daughter while fighting for another country, a feat I would never have believed possible had I not seen it with my own eyes." The king replied. "None but the best of men could accomplish this. I will make it official the moment you believe it prudent."

"Thank you." Kalus nodded respectfully to the man, then turned back to the guard captain. "There's still the matter of how to deal with Tyso's army."

"The Milarians are the key." Aurelius replied.

"Agreed." Kalus nodded

"I'm sorry, Millarians?" Shara asked. "Who are they?"

"One of the higher ranks of leaders in the army." Kalus explained. "Ten men is a squad, ten squads is a century, which is commanded by a centurion. Ten centuries is a mille, or a thousand men, and is commanded by a Millarian. There are six Millarians in a Legion, so a legion is six thousand men. A commander like myself commands a legion."

"We started with five legions, so there were originally thirty Millarians." Aurelius added. "Though a few have died on the campaign."