Strange Bedfellows Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They had just finished the main dinner course when King Bracken stood up, ostensibly to speak.

"Honored guests--" He waved towards the lower tables. "--and new friends--" He waved towards Kalus, Lyra, and Aurelius. "Welcome to Laerten."

There was a smattering of polite applause before King Bracken continued. Kalus couldn't help but notice that right now at this moment, King Bracken seemed uncharacteristically confident and calm.

"I'm sure you already know of the service that Commander Kalus and his men have done for our nation. I shan't regale you with the tales of his heroism, which havenot been exaggerated."

There was another smattering of polite applause.

King Bracken continued. "It should perhaps go without saying, but I shall make it official; I extend a full pardon to Commander Kalus and every man under his command for making war against this nation, and offer each and every one of them citizenship in Timarou, should they wish it, effective immediately."

The applause was more enthusiastic this time.

"Further, thanks to the good Captain Aurelius here, I have come to a realization." King Bracken said, indicating the guard captain.

"What's the conclusion?" Shara whispered to her mother, who was sitting next to both her and the king.

"Be patient." Queen Hylea whispered back in response, though Kalus thought she must know judging by the expression on her face.

King Bracken hung his head slightly, though his voice was still strong. "I am not a good king."

Silence.

You could hear a pin drop.

King Bracken looked up at the assembled people. "I could have made Timarou strong enough to fight off such invasions, but I listened to men who I thought were older and wiser, and now I realize they only had their own interest at heart and not the interests of Timarou. I weakened this country through my weak rule, and I cannot bear the thought of that happening again."

Shara was staring open-mouthed at her father. Kalus himself was a bit surprised as well. It took a man with great strength of character to publicly admit he had failed as King Bracken was doing now.

"Therefore." King Bracken continued. "I think that perhaps it is time for Timarou to have new leadership and a new king, one who--"

The room erupted in protests from nearly every noble there, cutting the king off. Suddenly, everyone was talking at once, half of them to their compatriots and half talkingat the king. The sentiment wasn't positive. Kalus got the distinct impression that the general concern wasn't for the people, but rather that a new king wouldn't be as malleable as the old one.

Hmm.

King Bracken kept trying to make his voice heard, but almost everyone ignored him.

Kalus stood up and bellowed. "SILENCE!"

His voice cut through the din, which faded to mere whispers over the next few seconds, and then ceased altogether.

"Your king--" Kalus paused, then nodded respectfully at King Bracken. "I'm sorry,our king is speaking and youwill remain silent and hear him out."

No one spoke.

"Sit down." He commanded, using the same stern tone he often took with rowdy soldiers. The nobles sat back down almost instantly.

Kalus turned to the king. "Please continue your majesty." Then he too sat down.

"Thank you Commander." King Bracken said, a smile on his lips. "It has become clear to me that I cannot control my own court, and what just happened makes me even more sure of the choice I discussed with my queen before dinner."

"What choice?" Shara whispered to the queen.

"Patience Shara." Hylea whispered back again.

"I am not fit to be king of Timarou." King Bracken said. "I love its people dearly, but I have not the strength of character nor force of will to guide my beloved country well. Therefore, effective immediately, I name Commander Lucien Kalus to be King Regent of Timarou until such time as he believes one of Shara's sons is ready to be king, and abdicate my crown."

Kalus stared.

What?

King Bracken then reached up and took his crown off of his head, setting it down on a velvet pillow in front of him that had been there all through dinner. The former king then turned to Kalus, Shara, and Lyra in turn. "I offer my congratulations, King Kalus, Queen Shara, and Queen Lyra."

Kalus kept staring.

He looked at his two wives, whose faces seemed to have frozen slightly. Lyra especially was so frozen that it looked like someone had hit her with a paralysis spell. After several seconds, she reached both of her hands up and put them on her cheeks on either side of her wide-open mouth.

"How the fuck am I a queen?" Lyra wondered aloud, and seemingly more to herself than anyone else.

Everyone stared at her.

Her eyes went wide and she covered her mouth as she whispered. "Did I just say that out loud?"

Everyone was still staring at her.

For several moments, Kalus tried to figure out what he could do to help his young wife. However, he was a military man and had essentially no experience with this kind of political maneuvering. He had no idea what to say to take the pressure off of her, and judging by the shocked look on Shara's face, she didn't either.

Fortunately, neither had to.

The former queen did.

"I think Lyra and Shara will befucking amazing queens." Hylea said, instantly drawing the eyes of everyone in the room. Judging by the way that they were staring at the former queen, and especially the way her daughter was, Hylea had probably never sworn a day in her life. Even the former king looked somewhat shocked. However, her vulgarity had instantly taken the attention off of his blonde wife, which was likely the goal.

Lyra let out a breath that she probably hadn't realized she'd been holding and mouthed "thank you" to Hylea.

There was a moment of silence, then the former king addressed Kalus. "My king, the kingdom is in your hands, and the people will have been notified by the town crier about this time. Do you have any commands at this time?"

Kalus looked at him, somewhat wishing that the king had given him some notice. But the more he thought about it, the more he realized that he would have declined; he would've turned him down and possibly convinced him not to even make the offer. The king had probably guessed that, which is why he'd sprung it on him with no chance to decline.

Everyone's gaze shifted to Kalus.

He realized that his first act would be momentous and would probably set the stage for his entire reign. It was just like being introduced to a new company of soldiers; you never got a second chance at a first impression.

A thousand things ran through his mind, but the one thing that stuck was that he had no experience being a king. A leader yes, but not a king. More than that, he didn't know the king's court. He didn't know where the lines of power were drawn and where the invisible loyalties lay. He needed to know that, which meant he needed the advice of someone who did.

That made his choice obvious.

Kalus stood, then addressed everyone. "I wish to thank King Bracken for the great honor he has bestowed on me. I would not have sought it, nor accepted it if he would've asked. But since I find myself in this position, I offer my most solemn vow that I will do my very best as King Regent, until a son from Shara and I is ready to wear the crown."

The former king clapped, and the former queen joined him. Slowly a few others did too, though most seemed reluctant.

"As my first act as King Regent, I name the former King Bracken as special advisor to the King Regent." Kalus said. "I am new to politics, and will need the counsel of someone older, wiser, and more experienced in the art of ruling."

Hylea beamed, an expression that was mirrored on her daughter's face.

Half of the court looked relieved, the other half looked like Illuminar's Day had come early. They were probably thinking that it would be easy to manipulate the former king into giving him advice that would benefit them. He was almost looking forward to seeing the looks on their faces when discovered that he was an altogether different kind of leader.

* * *

"I can't believe I said that."

Shara looked at her fellow wife, feeling for her since this was probably the twentieth time the ash blonde had said that since they'd left dinner. They were walking toward the largest and nicest guest bedroom in her father's castle, Kalus having declined to room in the master bedroom; the king's bedroom. He had been gracious about it, but didn't say why.

"Lyra, it will be fine." Shara said as they turned a corner in the great stone building, the hallway being lit by torches set in wrought-iron sconces set into the wall.

"It isnot fine!" The ash blonde groaned. "I just became aqueen and the first word I said was 'fuck'! I'm ahorrible queen."

Their husband had an amused grin. "Technically, the first word was 'how'."

Lyra shot him a look.

He chuckled. "Lyra, you will make mistakes your entire life. If you spend all your time berating yourself for past mistakes, how will you ever improve so you make fewer mistakes in the future?"

"I hate when you're right." The ash blonde replied shaking her head. "I just feel so stupid."

"Lyra, you're anything but stupid." The former princess replied, stopping outside the doors which lead to their room for the night.

"Agreed, I was rather impressed by how you handled yourself earlier with King Tyso." Kalus said, looking at the door.

"You were?" The ash blonde whipped her head around to look at him.

"I was." He nodded.

"You kneed one of the guards in the groin and kicked Tyos there as well." The former princess pointed out. "I'm soooo jealous."

"Oh." Lyra frowned slightly, but nodded. "Thank you."

"This is our room." Shara said, indicating the door.

Kalus took a deep breath and then pushed it open.

The room was lovely, as nice as you might expect for a room designed to house visiting dignitaries or kings. Everything was draped in the Royal blue colors of Timarou's flag except the bed, which had the whitest sheets she'd ever seen. Someone must've magically dyed them to get them that white and they were probably enchanted to be self-cleaning so they would stay that white.

There was a crystal chandelier hanging from the ceiling and its candles gave the room a soft, warm, and romantic glow. There were several ornate tables and chairs, as well as double glass doors that led out onto a balcony. Shara walked to them, opened them, and stepped out onto the balcony.

It was a beautiful night.

It was nearly cloudless and the stars were out in full force. Below her, the city was lit by firelight from lanterns and torches. Outside the city, she could also see the campfires of men who'd chosen to remain with Kalus from other legions.

"My king!"

Shara turned to see Kyselius had run up to the room before the doors had shut.

"Welcome my friend." Kalus said, ushering him in. "What news of the people?"

"Mostly good sire." The herald said with a bow. "The people seem largely content with the change in leadership. There's a faction that supports King Bracken, but even they aren't militant since you are the King Regent, not the King Proper. They seem content to wait until Shara bears a son since he will be of King Bracken's blood."

"And the general disposition towards the future?" Kalus asked.

"Mostly positive." Kyselius replied. "The people expect what they've heard of in the cities you've captured to become commonplace." He stopped, though Shara thought he might have more to say.

"Kyselius my friend, you are the herald to a king now but nothing has changed between us. I would still hear your mind when you have counsel to offer."

"I would meet with the city leaders tomorrow, and do so before meeting with the nobles." The herald replied. "That will send a strong message that you care about the people, especially if done before meeting with the lords."

"The lords won't like that." Shara pointed out.

"I know." Kyselius replied, and the corners of his mouth were pulled up slightly before he addressed the new king again. "I would also meet them in town, not summon them to the castle. It will be good for the people to see that you come to them about their concerns, rather than summoning them to you. I believe it would set a good tone for your reign."

"Wise words." The new king nodded. "See to it tomorrow, but not too early. Perhaps an early lunch; that will give everyone time to prepare."

"Aye sire." The herald bowed, then looked around. "I'll confess to wondering if my head would remain attached to my neck at this time yesterday. Illuminar has smiled upon you Commander--" He stopped, then corrected himself. "My king. And if I may say so sire, it's an honor to be in your service."

"Thank you, but I'm just as pleased to have an honorable man such as yourself in my service." Kalus replied.

"Thank you sire." The herald bowed again.

"Oh, one more thing." Kalus said. "Please find Octavian and tell him to enlist Pernilus and Asikan in creating a guard for my wives and myself. They were very loyal and honorable to insist on protecting my wives despite King Tyso and they should be rewarded for that. I will also need recommendations for replacements for centurions of their respective centuries."

"It shall be done; good night sire." Kyselius said with a bow.

"Good night my friend." Kalus shook the man's hand and then the herald departed, closing the door behind him.

"I can't believe I said that." Lyra shook her head again while looking towards the dinner hall.

Shara gave the horsewoman a hug. "Lyra, I promise it will be fine. With all the upheaval going on in the kingdom, most people won't even remember it a week from now."

"Okay." The ash blonde nodded.

Kalus took a deep breath. "I suppose Titus will be surprised when he returns to discover that not only am I the king regent, but he is commander of an entire country's army."

Shara smiled. "I like Titus; I think he'll be wonderful at that."

"Aye, he will be." Her husband agreed. "I would say I'm the better tactician, but he is a genius in military order, training, and organization. Timarou's army will rival Narlotten's military in a few years."

"So myking." Lyra said, her tone changing to convey an unmistakable intent. "Have you ever had twoqueens in your bed before? Twoqueens who are catering to theirking's every whim?"

"Two?" He raised his eyebrow and looked at Shara.

The amber-haired girl felt her cheeks grow warm as she averted her eyes.

She nodded.

"Truly?" Her husband asked. "You wish to share my bed?"

Shara felt like you could probably cook an egg on her cheeks they were so hot, but nodded mutely anyway.

"Tyso is dead and you are with child, yet you still wish this?" He asked.

Shara swallowed, wishing she could hide under a rock until this conversation was over.

She nodded anyway.

Kalus smiled, and not just any smile. His smile was wide and reached deep into his eyes. "What makes me this happy is not that you would willingly share your body with me -- though I confess I very much look forward to that -- but rather that you no longer seem to dislike being my wife. Is this true?"

She looked up at him, a tiny but embarrassed smile on the edge of her lips as she spoke. "It is. I would not wish the circumstances of our wedding on anyone, but I count myself blessed by Illuminar to call you my husband."

He stared at her for a moment, his smile growing even wider. "I'll admit that at one time, I never thought to hear those words from you."

"At one time, I never thought I'd say them." She replied, feeling a slight flutter in her heart at the way he was looking at her. "Could... could we..." She bit her lip and glanced at the bed.

"We could." He smile at her, and it wasn't a lust-filled smile. There was definitely desire there, but it wasn't the crude, purely sexual look that she'd seen other men look at her with. It was something deeper. It was like he was looking not only at her body, but also ather.

She liked that.

* * *

Kalus looked at his first wife, not quite believing what she had said. He couldn't stop smiling. He gazed at her for several long seconds, then reached out and gently brushed her cheek with the back of his hand. Her eyes fluttered a bit as she leaned her cheek into his hand.

"You really do wish this, don't you." He stated more than asked.

She nodded, her eyes shining slightly as she looked at him. He turned his gaze to Lyra, who was smiling at them both.

"I hope you'll let me at least watch?" The ash blonde said, then looked at Shara. "I mean, you watched me once before so it wouldn't be weird, right?"

"Twice." The former princess gently corrected. "I can't believe you woke him up in the middle of the night for... for that."

"Oh, just you wait." She grinned slyly in reply. "You will too once you've tried it."

The blush that appeared on his first wife's cheeks was impressive in both size and color.

"And by the way, if our husband isn't around, I'd be happy to..." The ash blonde locked eyes with the amber-haired woman. "...help."

Kalus laughed out loud at the look on Shara's face. She seemed to have frozen with her mouth half open and her eyes wide as she stared at her fellow wife.

"But... but..." She stammered.

"Come on, you can't tell me that kiss wasn't incredible." Lyra pressed, both metaphorically and literally. She had sidled up to Shara and was circling her like a vulture or shark circles its prey with a hungry look in her eye.

"It was, but... but we can't... that's not..." She looked at Kalus. "Help."

"Lyra, perhaps slow to a gentle walk?" He suggested. "Shara seems frightened by the speed of your gallop."

"Sorry." Lyra stepped back, clearly still interested but also giving her fellow wife some space.

"I... I'm not sure I'm ready for... for that." Shara gulped.

"Not yet." Lyra grinned at her, but made no move to resume her aggressiveness.

"Shara." Kalus said softly.

The former princess took a moment to take her eyes from her fellow wife and looked at him. It was several seconds before she spoke, and when she did it was mostly without the panic of a few moments ago.

"Katia." She said softly.

He raised his eyebrow.

"I realize that our wedding night-- well, that afternoon in the clearing was..." She swallowed. "Princess Shara was robbed of the joys of her wedding night by King Tyso. But Katia..." She looked between Kalus and Lyra. "I know that 'Katia' doesn't exist and she never did, but in here with just the three of us could..." She bit her lip. "Could we pretend that she does?"

"What do you mean?" Kalus asked, having an idea but wanting to make sure.

"Oh." Lyra cocked her head to one side, then grinned. "My dear Katia, I'm so glad you were able to get away from your handmaiden duties for your wedding night."

Katia nodded as she smiled.

Kalus felt a small smile creep onto his face as his suspicion was confirmed, and he decided to join her in the fiction. "It's is a strange thing, that a handmaiden as beautiful as yourself would find herself wed to a common soldier."

"You are no common soldier." She replied, a smile playing around the edge of her mouth. "A woman dreams of her wedding day and her wedding night, wanting it to be perfect."

"I can't believe you got the princess to give us this room for your wedding night." Lyra giggled, looking around and clearly helpingKatia to indulge her fantasy.

"And um." Katia glanced at Lyra. "I'm glad you don't mind. I haven't really... Um..." She looked down. "I might need a little help because I don't know how to... you know."

"I know exactly where to start." Kalus broke in.

"You do?" Katia asked.