Strange Bedfellows Ch. 05

Story Info
A noble knight & virgin princess forced together by a tyrant.
22.6k words
4.9
21.1k
45

Part 5 of the 5 part series

Updated 07/11/2023
Created 07/04/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Antiproton
Antiproton
2,438 Followers

Chapter 5: Sometimes, they do come true

* * *

"Please say something." Shara said to her husband.

He was silent for several seconds before speaking. "Are you serious? This isn't a jest?"

She nodded.

He looked at her for several long seconds, mouth slightly open, head cocked to one side, and eyes looking... hurt? No, that wasn't it? Distrustful? No, not quite that either. Mad? No; no he wasn't mad exactly. Unsure? Yes, he certainly seemed to be that.

Lyra gaped with her eyes wide. Her mouth was hanging open and then she gave a sharp intake of breath. "Oh Illuminar, I kissed the princess." She covered her mouth with her hand and Shara saw a grimace before she did.

"No-- well, yes." She conceded. "But I'm still me."

"Yes, but you'rethe princess Uh, my lady." The ash blonde replied formally and even a bit reverently. Her attempt at formal and respectful had lasted all of about five seconds before her spirited nature reasserted itself and she said with confused wonder. "How... how the fuck are you a princess?"

Shara gave her an apologetic half-smile, then turned to Kalus. "Please say something."

He didn't speak for several long seconds.

"The day we met, you said you were 'not so different' from the princess." Kalus finally said. "You were telling the truth; well, you were then." Neither his eyes nor his tone bore any trace of accusation, yet she couldn't help feeling accused.

Convicted.

Guilty.

She averted her eyes, not wanting to see the non-accusing look in her husband's eyes. She expected an accusing look and she felt like she deserved it, yet she wasn't getting it. That almost hurt worse. For a moment, she considered it strange that she felt this way when she'd outright told him that she wished him dead not many days ago.

But things had changed since then.

They had changed so much, and partially because of that she felt like the contents of a chamber pot. Worse than that.

Kalus scrutinized her for nearly a whole minute before speaking again. "Your father is King Bracken, your mother is Queen Hylea, and that's why you are so loyal to your country."

It wasn't a question.

Shara nodded, never taking her eyes off the floor.

Lyra didn't seem to know what to do with herself. She seemed completely at a loss as to how to behave with the revelation that her fellow wife was also the princess of the realm. Well, a conquered realm, but a princess nonetheless. Meanwhile, Kalus started pacing slowly in the small room with his hands clasped behind his back. Every so often, he would look at Shara and either frown, shake his head, or make a thoughtful sound.

Shara herself didn't know what to do.

After a minute or two, Kalus finally stopped and looked at her. "You found yourself captured and so disguised yourself as a handmaiden so you wouldn't fall into Tyso's hands."

Again, it wasn't a question.

She nodded.

"You were afraid that if you revealed yourself, the consequences could be dire." He said again, and Shara noticed that his volume was low. Easily heard by those in the room but not by those outside it.

She nodded again.

He slowly nodded as he looked at her.

"Please say something." She whispered, almost pleading and hardly able to bear his silence any longer. Well, he hadn't been silent, but she needed to know what he was thinking; how he felt about her with this revelation.

He narrowed his eyes for a moment, then made a thoughtful sound before he spoke. "I have said many times that I wished I had the opportunity to court you properly. I believe that's no longer the case."

Shara swallowed hard as she felt her heart sink to some below the floorboards underneath her.

"It's no longer the case..." Kalus continued. "...because King Bracken would've never let a common soldier such as myself court you, and thus the way we married was probably the only way we could have married."

The princess's breath caught in her throat.

Did he mean...?

She chanced a glance up at him. He still looked stern and imposing as always and his expression displayed both worry and concern. However, it seemed like that worry and concern was directed at her and for her.

"I would never have imagined that Illuminar -- blessed be He -- would bless me of all men with a princess as a wife." He continued. "But princess, handmaiden, or scullery maid -- whatever you are -- I'm glad to call you my wife."

"You... you're not angry with me?" She managed to squeak out.

He replied with an even tone that somewhat contradicted his words. "Of course I am angry with you; what man wouldn't be to discover his wife had been lying to him since the very moment they met?" He exhaled, and his shoulders relaxed a bit. "Yet I realize I have no right to be angry. You were forced into this marriage by another, and for your own protection you concealed your identity from those who you considered enemies, of whom I am one."

"Were." Shara said as she gave him a half-smile. "Youwere someone I considered an enemy."

He smiled. "I'm glad to hear that."

Shara turned to Lyra. "Please don't change how you treat me; I liked how we were before and I wouldn't want that to change."

"Okay." The horsewoman nodded, then she got a sly grin and said in a teasing tone. "You're highness."

The princess rolled her eyes and then turned back towards their husband. "I'm sorry."

He took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "I forgive you, though I am not sure..." He frowned. "I see why you did what you did, being the princess of Timarou. I'm not sure an apology is required, but thank you for offering it and I will of course forgive you."

"You... You're really not mad?" She asked.

"It will pass." He replied heavily and then sat down on the bed next to her. "What will not pass is your condition." He glanced at her womb. "Unless I'm mistaken, the future rightful ruler of Timarou is growing inside of you, assuming the baby is a boy."

Shara nodded.

Lyra gasped. "That's... that's actually kind of hot."

They both looked at her.

"What?" She said defensively. "It's an age-old story; the noble knight and the princess falling in love."

"You forgot the spirited horsewoman who makes their family complete." Shara said.

"Thank you Katia--" Lyra stopped. "I suppose I should stop calling you that."

"No, keep calling her that." Kalus said. "No one else can know."

"Besides, I kind of like it." Shara said. "It's grown on me rather a lot."

"Really?" The ash blonde raised her eyebrow. "It's a common name and I'm not sure it's suited to a princess."

"Maybe not, but I like it." She replied.

"Regardless, we must keep using it." Kalus said. "King Tyso mustn't find out who you are."

"What would happen if he did?" Lyra asked with a grimace.

"He would have me executed, probably for treason saying that I knew and kept it from him." He replied. "When he found out that Shar-- that Katia is pregnant he would make her take the herbs until she miscarried."

Shara put her hands protectively over her womb.

"Then, once he has complete control of Timarou, he would almost certainly force Katia to marry him so their son would be considered the rightful heir."

The princess shuddered.

Lyra made a face that wouldn't have been out of place if someone had just put a load of manure under her nose.

"He can't know." The amber-haired girl said while clutching her womb. "He can't."

"And he won't." Kalus said, then scrutinized her. "The meeting yesterday with General Ardroben; did he recognize you?"

"I think so." She nodded. "I also touched my womb and said that the princess's health had changed for the better, so I hope he knows about our baby."

"Let us hope so." He frowned. "How many at the castle know your face?"

"Some, but certainly not all." She replied. "I spent most of my teen years in the castle where you found me for my schooling."

"Thank Illuminar for that." He pursed his lips. "Still, I will have my men sweep the areas in front of us to ensure that as few as possible will see you." He cocked his head to one side. "I will also have you closely guarded by Octavian's men, so much so that they will block you from being seen as much as possible."

Shara looked at him, a smile coming unbidden to her face and her throat got slightly tight. "You really care, don't you?"

He nodded. "And even if I didn't, I would still take care of you because you are my wife."

She smiled at him, though she couldn't hold his gaze for long and averted her eyes.

Several moments later, Lyra chuckled to herself.

"What?" Shara asked.

"I kissed a princess and I liked it." She smiled, then went slightly red.

Shara looked at Kalus with a grimace. "Was that okay? I mean, that Lyra and I... that we..."

He nodded. "Illuminar does not forbid it, and I must confess that I have seen few fairer sights in my life."

"Really?" The princess asked.

He nodded. "But perhaps now is not the time to discuss that. We will have a trying day tomorrow and should get some sleep." Lyra opened her mouth, but he continued before she spoke. "All of us, even if you would prefer a different activity in the bed."

The horsewoman nodded, though she looked disappointed too.

"Come, we should go to bed." He said, then probably for Lyra's benefit added. "To sleep."

The bed was only slightly wider than the bedroll they had been sleeping in. As usual, Lyra pulled her dress off and snuggled up to him naked. Shara herself felt conflicted. She almost wanted to do the same, but something about that felt so... exposed. What if something happened and she needed to get up?

She laid down in the bed on Kalus's left side as usual, not quite touching him but also not far away either. As usual, Lyra fell asleep pretty quickly. Shara didn't however. She and her husband lay awake looking up at the ceiling for some time. She bit her lip and started to turn away as usual, but stopped herself.

"Lucien?" She whispered, still trying to get used to the idea that her husband's first name wasn't Kalus.

"Yes?" He whispered back.

"I truly am sorry."

He turned his head to look at her, though she couldn't make out his expression clearly in the semi-darkness. "I already forgave you. I would likely have done the same if I was you."

"But?" She said, feeling like there was a 'but' coming.

"I..." Uncharacteristically for him, he trailed off without finishing his sentence.

"You?" She asked with bated breath.

"You have lied to me since the moment we met." He whispered. "I don't blame you and I understand, but that is hard to come to terms with."

"Oh." She said, then fell silent.

What could she say?

It was true.

She had lied to him from literally the moment that they had met. That hadn't bothered her at the time considering the circumstances. But now... Now she wished that she hadn't. Although King Tyso might've forced her to wed him if she hadn't and then...

She shuddered.

Okay, she was glad she had lied. Kalus had protected her from a worse forced marriage, from the king, and from so many other things. That first night he had taken care of her too. He'd done so much for her.

"Lucien." She whispered several minutes later.

"Hmm." He grunted, still very much awake.

"May..." She hesitated. "May I sleep closer? Um, closer to you I mean?"

He turned to look at her again and she thought she saw a smile on his face. It was hard to be sure in the darkness though.

"I would like that." He replied.

His tone was happy.

She scooted closer so her right shoulder was up against his left arm. It felt awkward, but she liked it. He put his arm around her and pulled her a bit closer so she was leaning up against his torso.

She smiled.

"May..." She whispered hoarsely. "May I lean on you?"

In response, he pulled her to him so she was laying on her side with her front up against his side and her head naturally ended up using his chest for a pillow. There was something slightly possessive about the motion too, like he wanted her to know that he wanted her there.

She liked that.

"Will... will we be okay?" She whispered several moments later.

"I don't know how we will avoid Tyso's wrath, but--" He stopped as she put her hand on his chest.

"No, I meant willwe be okay."

He didn't answer for several seconds, and when he finally spoke his tone was... soft. That was the only word she could think of for it. It was gentle, kind, and had a softness to it that made her smile.

"Katia..." He paused. "Shara, will you swear to Illuminar that you will never lie to me again?"

"Lucien... husband; I swear on Illuminar Himself that I will never lie to you ever again." She said, and she meant it with all her heart.

He took a deep breath, which raised her head slightly since she was using it for a pillow, and then slowly let it out. When he spoke, there was a smile in his tone. "I think we will be okay... Shara."

"You..." She hesitated. "You can call me 'Katia', I like how it sounds on your lips."

"Then sweet dreams Katia." She felt him move and then felt his lips press gently against the top of her head.

She sighed softly, then snuggled closer to him.

"Sweet dreams." She replied, feeling the tiredness from the day wash over her. Now that she knew things were okay between herself and her husband, her mind finally let her rest. She relaxed completely into him, grateful that the revelation of her secret had gone as well as it had.

He was holding her, he cared about her, and he would take care of her no matter what. Those were the last thoughts on her mind before she drifted off to sleep.

* * *

Kalus lay awake longer than he would've preferred. His two wives were snuggled as a mirror image of each other on either side of him, and he thought that fitting considering their personalities. Katia-- no,Shara sighed softly in her sleep and then snuggled her head slightly closer.

He shook his head in disbelief.

A princess.

Who would've ever thought he would have a princess snuggled up to him like this? Especially one who was carrying his child. They had been legally married, so she was his wife according to all the laws of the Ten Kingdoms. He had no idea how her father would react to that if King Tyso gave him a chance.

He didn't know how to react.

He had always planned to return home, find a nice girl, court her properly, ask her father for her hand, and then raise a family in quiet peace. With a princess as a wife, a quiet life didn't seem possible anymore. Well, unless her identity remained concealed. That seemed unlikely, given that they were about to enter her father's castle.

He lay there, trying to figure out a way that he, his wives, and his unborn child could survive the coming days. He couldn't think of a plan, so he did the only thing he could do; he prayed to Illuminar for the safety of his family until he fell asleep.

* * *

Lyra woke before the sun and before her husband and fellow wife... who was the princess of Timarou. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly, still entirely unsure what to make of that information. Katia-- no,Shara was an actual princess.

A princess!

The ash blonde had no idea how to be a co-wife with a princess. Didn't that mean that Shara had all the refinements of the court? All the education? Lyra's own father had taught her to read, write, and basic maths, and she knew some of her country's history of course, but that was it. How many languages did Ka-- Shara speak? How many things could she do that the horsewoman herself couldn't?

It was times like this that the blonde desperately missed her mother. She would know what to do and help her with how to feel about this. She would be able to help with perspective on such things and help her figure out how to cope with having a princess as a co-wife.

On the other hand, Shara had been nice to her the entire time and she was sweet, if a bit reserved. Still, Lyra was having trouble figuring out how she -- a lowly rancher's daughter -- could ever possibly measure up to a real princess. She couldn't even control her desire to bed her husband for Illuminar's sake! Unbidden, the idea of her bedding her fellow wife came to mind and she had to try to push the idea out of her head.

It wasn't easy.

Shara's lips were so soft and kissing her had been wonderful. She wanted to try a lot more than kissing, and also kissing in other places if Kalus would allow it. She thought he might, but was pretty sure that someone as refined as aprincess would have no interest in such things.

"Lyra."

She looked up to see her husband looking at her.

"You seem rather tense." He whispered, probably because Katia-- no, Shara was still asleep.

"She's a princess!" She whispered. "How do I compete with a princess?!"

"Why do you have to compete?"

She blinked.

"The infantry and cavalry are very different than each other." He continued. "Some might even say one is more powerful than the other. Yet neither can do everything by itself and they work best when they cooperate."

She stared at him for a long moment. "But, won't you compare us? Even if you don't mean to?"

"Of course." He whispered like it was the most obvious thing in the world. "I compare infantry and cavalry too, but I also recognize that both have their strengths and weaknesses and neither is better than the other. Each has an edge in one role or another, but neither is better or worse at everything; they are just different."

She nodded slowly, then bit her lip.

"What?" He asked.

"I..." She hesitated, then spoke quietly. "I'm glad to hear that."

"But?" He prompted.

"But she's a princess and I'm just--" She began, but he interrupted.

"A thoroughly delightful woman and a wonderful wife." He said, and judging by his eyes he looked sincere. "In a comparison with Kat-- with Shara, you wouldn't suffer."

"Really?" She asked.

"Really." He nodded. "Neither would she; I can appreciate each of you for who you are, and you are different from each other. Could you not appreciate two horses for their own strengths, different though they may be?"

"I could." She nodded, then snuggled closer to him. "I'm glad you see it that way."

He kissed the top of her head, which made her heart melt and her loins itch. She wiggled her hips against him, making sure her nether lips were pressed against his thigh.

"Shara is still sleeping." He whispered, but didn't stop her.

"Mmm." She rubbed a little harder, and could already feel herself getting wet. "Mmm hmm."

"Mmm?" Shara stirred, then lifted her head and blinked.

"Eww." Lyra screwed up her face as her fellow wife's morning breath hit her.

Kalus chuckled.

"What?" Shara asked, then yawned.

"Your breath." The ash blonde replied, her rubbing nearly forgotten as she turned her face away.

"It can't be that ba--" Shara stopped after she had exhaled into her hand and sniffed. "Oh, sorry. Perhaps it was that rock candy? My breath suffers when I eat too much sugar."

Kalus chuckled again. "I've smelled worse. Come, we should get ready for the day."

Shara nodded, then asked. "Does anyone know where I could get some mint leaves?"

For some reason, the fact that Shara had morning breath even though she was a princess put Lyra's heart at ease. It was a small thing, but it helped. Maybe she was a normal girl after all. A very nice, and kind normal girl who happened to be a princess, but a normal girl.

* * *

Kalus rode Tornado towards the king's entourage, arriving just as the first rays of light fell upon the conquered city. Behind him, Katia-- no, Shara and Lyra, were both riding their own horses. His wives were guarded by Octavian and a half dozen of his best men, and he was grateful for that; for Shara's sake if nothing else. He was having trouble thinking of his first wife as anything other than 'Katia', and he supposed that was a good thing for now.

Antiproton
Antiproton
2,438 Followers