Summer in The County Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'll be glad to help in any way I can." I said. "And they've helped me out a lot on some of my cases, and I hope that'll continue, as well."

"I'm sure it will." said Fox. After a pause, he said "There is one more thing. I'd like for you to start looking into something for me, in conjunction with Jack's team. This 'Guardians of Justice' situation is generating a lot of heat in Washington... a lot of heat. U.S. Senator Samuel Russell of this State has been pounding me over it, calling every day about it. He is really upset about these leaks. I know you have had some issues with BigPharmaCorp, but we can't have their emails being hacked like they were. It does become a national security issue at some point."

"You are right, sir." I said. "Arresting the BigPharmaCorp CEO did not exactly endear me to them. But I'm not really a cybersecurity expert. You've probably got people that are much, much better in pursuing that."

"You've got some good cybersecurity people, as well, Commander." said Fox.

"Yes, but one of them may just get promoted." I said. "That's not a done deal by any means, but it's very possible. And that means the others will be much busier supporting my Detectives on their missions."

Fox nodded. He'd looked surprised when I mentioned the promotion. I also wondered if he realized that there was no way Myron was going to help the FBI on something like 'The Guardians of Justice'; after all, Myron's sympathies, as well as his father's, lay with Government-exposing groups like them.

"Okay, then." said Fox. "If you do get a chance to look into them, keep a log of the hours and we'll reimburse you. Anyway, I'm looking forward to working with you and Jack's team." He was getting up, so I did also. He extended his hand and I shook it firmly.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Back in my office after the meeting, Cindy asked "So how did it go with Mr. Fox?"

"Okay." I said. "He's more of a politically-tuned bureaucrat than a straight-shooter like the Deputy Director and Jack Muscone are. So be aware of that." I then told Cindy of the details of my discussion with Fox.

"So he wants you to use my Data Division to help him find these 'Guardians of Justice' peeps?" Cindy astutely said.

"That's Iron Crowbar thinking, there." I replied. "And I told him in roundabout terms that they weren't really available. But he's under pressure from politicians over these leaked emails, so he may be calling you and me both to try to move a mountain."

Cindy nodded, then said "While you were talking to him, I was talking to Team Lazarus about Mr. Fox and their situation. They're being told the 'Guardians of Justice' case is going to be a priority for them, too. So my Green Crowbar thinking is that yes, Washington politicians are very upset over this, especially the Republican Senators."

"No surprise there, either." I said. "BigPharmaCorp, BigRoadAndRail, and BigAgraFoods give 'generous' contributions to their campaigns and have well-paid lobbyists working for them. And a case like this is where they expect the money they spent to be be money well spent. If not, they'll find other candidates to support."

"There's one other thing, too." Cindy said. "Lindy said that she's been doing some preliminary work in conjunction with FBI cyber-security people in Washington. They think the Guardians of Justice are somewhere in this State. They are trying to mask their IP addresses and all, but the FBI guys in Washington have worked it back to here. Probably the City, but it could be Midtown."

"I'm surprised they're not crawling all over our County here." I said. "BigAgraFoods and BigPharmaCorp are headquartered here, and with the School here generating tremendous digital traffic, it'd be the ideal place. So... what does all that tell you?"

Cindy thought a minute... well, she was trying to get into my mind and read it. And apparently she was successful in doing so, as after a moment she said "Ahhh... they do think the Guardians are operating out of here, and don't want to tell us... typical of them."

"That is Iron Crowbar thinking, there." I said. "Yes, between Mr. Fox wanting me to use our resources, and Jack's team telling you every location but here... gotta wonder. Gotta wonder. So, how does Team Lazarus like their new boss?"

"Too early to tell." said Cindy. "We didn't talk much because we were afraid of being overheard. But Lindy told me quietly and privately that they like him personally, and they think he'll try to keep his promises to keep them together and in the City, but they're afraid he doesn't have the clout the Deputy Director had, and he may get pushed around by the bureaucrats in Washington..."

Part 5 - Committee of the Whole

"The first order of business," said Mayor Larry P. Vaughan, the People's Choice, as the Town & County Council Meeting got underway at 7:30pm, Tuesday, July 11th, "is to act upon a request by the County Sheriff to clarify the chain-of-command of the various divisions within the Department of Public Safety. Would someone like to make a motion?"

One does not need to carry around a crowbar to understand that this was all worked out in advance. It was John 'Jack' Colby that said "I move that we form a committee to study the Sheriff's recommendations and form an ordinance to address the situation."

"I second that motion." said Loran T. Michaels.

"Whom do you propose to be on that committee?" asked the Mayor.

"I propose that it be a Committee of the Whole." said Colby. That meant the entire Council was on the committee, with the Mayor moderating. The motion was agreed to, 10-0.

"Okay, we'll meet in executive session after this public meeting to begin the discussions of that." said the Mayor. "We now open the floor to be addressed by the Public."

First came subpoenas against the County, usually a result of lawyers filing lawsuits on behalf of clients against the County. These were generally accepted and turned over to the City Attorney for study by a voice vote. No different tonight; there were no objections.

Then things starting going wrong. Very wrong.

The auditorium was almost completely full of people, nearly every one of them black. Some were wearing red t-shirts with a logo on the front, showing the silhouette of a person and a pennant. It was obvious these similarly-attired people were here to start trouble.

The first person to move forward to the podium, upon which there was a microphone, was Crispus Appling. Mr. Appling ran the Appling Ace Hardware store on MLK Jr. Avenue.

"Mr. Mayor, Members of the Council," Mr. Appling said, "We come today to demand that the name of this County be changed. It is an offense to all People of Color in this County that it is named for a man who held black persons as property, as slaves. It is an offense that---"

The Mayor began tapping his gavel. "Let me just say right now: while the Council and I understand and respect your concerns, we do not have the legal power to change the name of the County. Only the State Legislature can do that, and ---"

"That's a cop-out!" yelled one woman in the front row who had stood up. Others started cheering and jeering as she yelled "We demand justice for our people! We demand the oppression of our people and the glorification of white slaveholders be stopped!" Others began chanting.

The Mayor was tapping his gavel, but to no effect, and the yelling was getting louder. Deputies that normally kept order had been told to wear armor to this meeting, but more was about to be needed.

The chanting began ebbing as the people in the audience realized that the room was filling up with heavily armored TCPD SWAT Team members. Their leader, Captain Teresa Croyle, was coming to the front. All were in their 'black' uniforms, but had heavy armor both over and under their uniforms, and wore riot gear helmets with face shields.

"We demand to be heard!" yelled the woman who'd been leading the chants before. "We demand our right to confront this Council over the injustices done to us!" The chanting began again.

From a side door walked in another TCPD Officer, wearing a 'black' uniform, with armor on. Instead of a helmet, he wore a khaki Tilley Hat. And instead of a billy stick, he was carrying that well-known implement of Justice... the red crowbar.

As the shouting went on, I strode up to the Mayor and took his gavel, saying "May I borrow this a moment? Thank you." I then walked across the floor to the woman that was leading the chants, screaming her head off.

"You're under arrest, for disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace." I said. "I can shut you up by hitting you with this," I held up the gavel, "... or this." I held up the crowbar."

"Fuck you, Cracker! You're just a tool of the Man!" the woman screamed. "You're just a thug that beats up blacks on behalf of white crackers like you--- UHK!"

*WHAM!*

Teresa had come up, grabbed the woman, and literally pulled her over the low wooden wall separating the gallery from the auditorium floor. In one motion, she slammed the woman hard to the floor... just like she had done to several of her Police Boxing Matches opponents... then immediately sat down on the woman, twisted her arm behind her back, and began applying handcuffs.

"You are under arrest for disorderly conduct, and verbally assaulting a Police Officer." snarled Teresa. "You have the right to reman silent..." Meanwhile, other TCPD Officers were pouring into the room. Some came down and physically carried the screaming, cursing woman out of the room.

The people in the audience had been screaming, but quieted down as Officers filled the aisles. I took the microphone from the podium and began speaking into it. Surprisingly, they quieted down.

"People, you have the First Amendment right to peaceably assemble, emphasis on the word 'peaceably'. This is not my definition of 'peaceably', and my definition is the one that counts right now. If you want to air your grievances, you will do so with manners and decorum, and follow the rules of civility. If you do not, I have plenty of room in my jails to accommodate you overnight. I've made one arrest so far; I can make many more. Plenty of room to hold every one of you, if need be. I simply will not tolerate the abusive behavior I've been seeing so far, and I am in a position to do something about it."

I still don't know why the room fell silent, but it did. I returned the gavel to the Mayor, saying "Carry on, Mr. Mayor'. I noticed that the Council Members were openly shocked, though Colby and Schoen wanted to break out laughing. I returned to one side of the auditorium and kept watch. There were no more incidents, and most of the red-shirted agitators began leaving, realizing they'd not succeed in their attention-getting tactics of intimidation.

Outside, the woman being carried out was being filmed by KSTD and KXTC News crews. John Hardwood was about to wet his pants with excitement at the story he was getting. He made sure to get the cameras to note the large number of TCPD Officers in the hallways and outside City Hall. Another contingent of Officers outside were less noticed, but they were loosely surrounding the statue of President Jefferson in front of the flagpole. The Commander had ordered that any attempt to vandalize, destroy, or remove that statue was to be met with overwhelming Police retaliation.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Can you believe what that son of a bitch did?" snarled Kelly Carnes as they came into the private Council chamber on the second floor. "Threatening that woman with his crowbar? Just taking over the microphone like that?"

"If that is not Police brutality, what is?" asked Malinda Adams as she went to her chair.

"That was a woman that did that, Ms. Adams." said Dagmar Schoen, thinking of Teresa's action, and taking a sharp dig at Adams.

"They're supposed to be Peace Officers, not violent thugs, Ms. Schoen." Malinda Adams shot back.

"We should thank Commander Troy and his Officers." said Edward Steele. "He prevented an ugly situation from getting worse, from getting truly violent. I think some of those people, especially the ones in the matching red shirts, were intending to make it violent tonight."

"The Media is going to have a field day with this one." said J.P. Goldman.

"Good." said Steele. "People aren't stupid, and they'll see as they always do that Commander Troy acted swiftly and correctly, no matter what the Media tries to make of it. What do you think, Councilman Lewis?"

"I understand the Commander's desire to keep order and peace, and he does not let the grass grow under his feet." said Reginald B.F. Lewis. "But strong action like Captain Croyle took will only reinforce the belief among my People that the Police prefer brutality towards People of Color, and suppression of their voices. And you better believe the Media will be ginning up that narrative tomorrow morning."

"Okay, let's get down to business and get this meeting overwith." said the Mayor. "What this is about is that Commander Troy went to his Chief and to the Sheriff and asked for a clarification of something. If he, Commander Troy, is incapacitated or unavailable, but Chief Moynahan is in place as Chief, to whom does his subordinates, particularly the Captain of Operations, answer to?"

The Mayor continued: "Commander Troy, the Chief, and the Sheriff believe that if the Chief is still there, they answer to the Chief directly, as that is the flow of the chain of command. However, Deputy Chief Harlow says she believes she would become Acting Commander, and they would answer to her. The City Attorney was asked for an opinion, and he says that if the Chief were not there, then Ms. Harlow would be correct, but with him there, there is nothing in the ordinances nor codicils that address the situation fully."

"The Sheriff was going to simply write up something to address it," continued the Mayor, "but Deputy Chief Harlow again objected, saying it required Council action. The City Attorney has agreed with that, and believes we need to address it. Ergo, here we are now. What I've just distributed to you is the Sheriff's written recommendation, including the remarks of the Police Chief, Police Commander, and Deputy Chief. In addition, the Sheriff has proactively brought up similar issues within the Fire Department and Sheriff's Department that need similar attention."

"We'll never get this decided tonight." said Ian McGhillie.

"And we're not going to try." said the Mayor. "We'll be working on this, formally and informally, as a Committee, and it's likely going to be several meetings before we get it all hashed out--- Mr. Cook?"

Thomas P. Cook looked like he was a million miles away, and his face was very red. "Thomas, are you okay?" asked Edward Steele, sitting next to him.

"Uh... sure, sure." said Cook. "Sorry, just thinking of something. Go ahead, please."

Thomas P. Cook was furious with anger. As he had listened to what the Mayor was saying, it was more than apparent to him that the Iron Crowbar was somehow anticipating the plans that were only in the initial stages of being laid out to destroy Troy and return the Police Force to the control of people who should properly be controlling it.

How in the world had that man gotten onto us? he thought to himself. Or is this just extraordinary coincidence that he came across this issue? It was like Chess World Champion Anatoly Karpov, who was known to stop an opponent's threat before the opponent realized he even had a threat. Or do we have a mole in our midst? An enemy to be annihilated for treason and collusion with Troy?

"Mr. Mayor," said Kelly Carnes, "what caused the Sheriff, or perhaps Commander Troy, to think to ask this? Is Commander Troy going to be spending more time with the SBI than with the TCPD? In that case, we should consider again----"

"No, Ms. Carnes," said Edward Steele, "and don't try to go there again. Commander Troy told me he thought of it while recovering from his back surgery, and his asking the City Attorney for clarification opened up the whole thing."

Malinda Adams spoke up: "Isn't the real reason because Commander Troy is a misogynist that doesn't want a woman in charge of the Police Force?"

"For crying out loud, would you STOP with that shit?" yelled Dagmar Schoen. "I am so sick and tired of you crying about women being oppressed when they are not being oppressed!"

"You're a traitor to your sex, Ms. Schoen." accused Malinda Adams.

"Bullshit! I'm very comfortable as a woman that works quite well with men, and I don't need you and your false narratives on oppression when it's not called for!" shouted Dagmar. "If the Deputy Chief were a man, the same question would be valid! Commander Troy obviously has no problem with women in positions of authority, as his Captains of Operations and of Detectives happen to be women! Just get over yourself and this gender card crap, just for once!"

The room was oppressively silent for several long seconds, and Malinda Adams' stare at Dagmar was full of unappeasable hatred. Finally, the Mayor tapped his gavel and said "Okay, let's adjourn for the evening. We'll meet next week after the open meeting, and bring your ideas of what you want the solution to be."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Her name is Aretha Carter." said Cindy as she and I looked into Interrogation-1 through the one-way glass of the darkened anteroom. "She's not a resident of this County; she's from the City. Two prior arrests, both at protests that turned violent. One was a misdemeanor disturbing the peace, but the other was a felony inciting to riot charge. The Prosecution pushed hard for a full trial; they really wanted to make an example of her. But the judge accepted a defense motion to reduce the charge to a misdemeanor and then the judge accepted a nolo contendere plea."

"Wow." I said. "That's pretty proactive, even by activist judge standards. As for tonight: has she called a lawyer?"

"Yes, and we have the number." said Cindy. Oh yes, we always checked to see who defendants were calling. "The number she called belongs to a group called the 'Center for Social Justice'. I sent word to Myron and Mary to check on it."

"Hell, I can stand here and tell you they're a relatively new group funded by George Schwartz, with some of the same people that are in the 'Citizens for Police Accountability' group and the 'Code Pink' groups. That guy is funding a bunch of these activist groups... seemingly all the ones that want to resort to violence whenever possible."

"You researched them?" Cindy asked, astonished.

"No, it's just the pattern." I said. "Wanna bet a double cheeseburger lunch on it?"

"Hell no." said Cindy. "I'm taking the 'Muscone approach'... never bet against the Iron Crowbar."

"Smart thinking." I replied. "Just thought I'd try to get a free lunch, but you're too good." Cindy grinned as I said "So she was imported from out of Town, eh? I can see the pattern there, too."

"By the way," Cindy said, "I called Krasney instead of Paulina on this one. And before you ask, I'll tell you why once we're out of this building."

Part 6 - Turning Up The Heat

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely redheaded reporterette from in front of City Hall at 7:00am, Wednesday, July 12th. "Channel Two News has learned that the Citizens For Police Accountability will file a lawsuit against the Town & County Police, Commander Donald Troy, and Captain Teresa Croyle on behalf of Aretha Carter and the Center for Social Justice!"

Bettina started: "At the Town & County Council meeting last night, Police arrested Aretha Carter for disorderly conduct and verbally assaulting a Police Officer. Witnesses are very divided on what actually happened. Some are saying the crowd had become unruly and attempting to intimidate the Council, while others say they were peaceful and that it was the Police that overreacted with excessive physical force."