Summer in The County Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Many in the crowd were there to demand the name of the County be changed, saying President Jefferson was a white slaveholder, and that the County being named for him shows white racist insensitivity to blacks. The Mayor attempted to explain that the Council does not have the power to change the County's name, as only the Legislature can do that. At that point, the crowd became unruly, and according to some Council Members, threatening to the safety of others."

"Asked for his opinion of the incident," continued Bettina, "Council Member Reginald B.F. Lewis, who represents the largely black southern areas of the Town and is black himself, said that Commander Troy's actions were in the interest of safety, but that many of his, Mr. Lewis's, constituents will not see it that way; and that they will believe the incident was Police brutality towards People of Color."

"Thomas P. Cook, Kelly Carnes, and Malinda Adams of the Council have issued a joint statement saying they will refer Commander Troy and Captain Teresa Croyle's actions to the County Inspector General, Horace S. Wellman, and also to the State Office of Ethics and Review. Council Members Dagmar Schoen, John Colby, and Edward Steele will file counterclaims with the Inspector General and State OER office."

Bettina finished: "Surprisingly, Commander Donald Troy did issue a statement about the incident. It reads: 'The person arrested was acting violently and was verbally abusive towards other citizens and law enforcement. Furthermore, she is not a resident of the County, but is from out of Town and has a criminal record of agitation at protests and demonstrations. Captain Croyle's actions were fully correct and I stand unreservedly behind her and the actions of all of the Police Officers at the scene. Full charges will be pressed against the arrested suspect, and the Town & County Police Force will not tolerate violent and abusive actions towards the Council nor towards this County's citizens.'."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Has the Chief called you in yet?" asked Cindy when she came to my office at 7:55am. I'd not bothered to go to MCD for the Bettina bashing, instead watching it on my television in my office.

"No." I said. "But he's already here, and in his office. Is Teresa here yet?"

"Yes, in her office." Cindy said. "I'll go get her. I'm getting a vibe about KSTD's news. I think we should tune in."

A moment later, Teresa and Cindy were sitting on the sofa and I was in the Command Chair behind my desk. The KSTD newscast began, as Priya said "We now going to KSTD reporter John Hardwood at City Hall---"

"This is John Hardwood, KSTD Five-Alive News in the Morning!" said Hardwood, practically running over Priya's introduction, and without acknowledgement of her. "We're bringing you continuing coverage of the explosive events that occurred at the Town & County Council meeting last night!"

Hardwood started: "A heavily armed Police presence turned a peaceful situation into one of confrontation and violence as peaceful protestors attempted to petition the Council to change the name of our County from that of a white slaveholder to one that better reflects the diversity of the County. When the Mayor denied their petition and attempted to stop them from talking, the Police moved in to enforce his suppression of their voices with stunning physical violence."

Hardwood was almost smiling as he continued: "Police Commander Donald Troy, who carries and uses a red crowbar in beating down people during arrests, unnecessarily confronted one of the audience members. When she responded, Captain Teresa Croyle violently attacked the woman, throwing her to the floor and twisting her arm before arresting her."

There was grainy film coverage that did not show everything well, but just enough to make it look bad for the TCPD. I suspected the footage was edited, as well.

Hardwood then continued: "As you know, Captain Teresa Croyle has a history of violently attacking people and abusing Police power. She was once suspended and nearly fired for a vicious assault on young Dean Allen, son of the late State Senator Nathan Allen, at a Police DUI checkpoint. Why Commander Troy brought her back, much less made her a Captain, is beyond my comprehension, but just goes to show the erratic decision-making and total lack of sound judgement by our Police Commander."

Priya came on: "John, Captain Croyle has received the Police Cross and five Purple Orders, the last one for being wounded while attempting to rescue a child. Does that not count for anything?"

Hardwood looked like he wanted to go through the camera and strangle Priya. As his eyes flashed his hatred of being ambushed, he said "Does that mean she should be allowed to beat up people? Especially blacks in a racist attack like last night? She's shown she's too hotheaded to be a Police Officer and to have a gun. And it's Commander Troy who enables her violence and enables the racist attacks on good citizens!"

We didn't know it, but Priya's microphone had been cut off, so Hardwood continued, menace and hatred still in his voice: "The actions of the Police are being referred to the Inspector General as well as the State Office of Ethics and Review. In addition, spokesmen Jay Swenson and Ken Eidex of the watchdog group 'Citizens for Police Accountability' have filed a petition with the Court to have Commander Troy and Captain Croyle suspended until a full investigation reveals the level of their violent actions last night..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In the Main Conference Room was Chief Moynahan, Sheriff Allgood, Deputy Chief Harlow, me, Captain Ross, and Captain Croyle. It was 10:30am.

"Inspector General Wellman did send people to interview all the Council Members and the Mayor." said the Sheriff. "Almost every story is different, but generally breaks down into two themes: one says the crowd was getting ugly and disruptive; the other says the crowd was peaceful and the Police acted preemptively, too fast, and then acted with excessive force. The video we have from many different people... does show some yelling and screaming starting up, but it's inconclusive just how threatening the crowd was."

"All the Police reports of every Officer inside the Council Chamber auditorium have been collected, and are likewise mixed in what actually happened." continued the Sheriff. "That includes the reports of my Deputies, who for the most part said they were intimidated by the aggressive actions and yelling of the crowd, and were not prepared for those numbers and their level of violence before the TCPD started appearing in large numbers."

"What does the Inspector General plan to dooooo?" asked the Chief.

"This had better not get out of this room." said the Sheriff, looking around at us all, then continuing: "He will tell the Press he is investigating, which is true. He also has no plans to find that the Police were in the wrong, unless something extraordinary comes up."

I felt Cindy and Teresa look over towards me. I knew what they were thinking: the Sheriff was saying this in front of Della Harlow. Della was keeping her face passive, but I did not fail to observe the effort she was making in doing so.

"My personal as well as professional opinion," said the Chief, "is that the TCPD acted correctly, and the agitator was quickly subdued with non-lethal force and arrested. Commander Troy acted correctly in that we cannot allow a situation like that to go too far, to get out of hand. Fast, decisive action was needed, and was taken. If the Commander had waited any length of time, it might've reached a level where much more force would've been needed to subdue it. I know some Police Departments out in California would stand down and leave, and let the agitators do what they want, but we are not them. My report to the Inspector General will basically state what I just said out loud."

"Commander," said Sheriff Allgood, "you're awful quiet over there. Anything to say?"

I said "It's damned if I do, damned if I don't. If I act quickly and decisively, I'll be charged as the instigator, which is what they're doing now. If I don't act or hold my people back, it would've been like the Chief said: it'd have escalated, and it would've been a lot uglier, and a lot harder to get back under control, if we could get it back under control at all. And then the corrupt Press would've blamed me for letting it get out of hand."

I continued: "What pisses me off was that slug Hardwood's attack on my Captain of Operations in his newscast, which was one of the most dishonest pieces of propaganda I've ever seen. I think we should ban KSTD from all Police facilities, and demand an on-air apology from Hardwood before letting them back in."

"I completely disagree." said Della Harlow. "We can't tell KSTD how to do their business, and banning them from the press room is childish and makes the TCPD look weak."

"I don't think you heard the Police Commander, Ms. Harlow." said the Chief. "Hardwood's reporting on Captain Croyle was an outright attack upon her. Almost as bad as if someone had shot her, and every Police Officer should be just as angry at Hardwood as if he had shot her."

"With respect, Chief," said Harlow, "I don't agree. While I'm in charge over Public Relations, I believe the Press Room should remain open to all Media. We have to respect their reporting, even if we don't agree with it."

"That's a load of crap." I said. "The Press does not have the right to libel anyone, which is what I saw in this morning's broadcast. And we have no obligation to provide them a Press Room platform from which to viciously attack us."

"They're not attacking us." replied Harlow. "And Mr. Hardwood is entitled to his opinion, just like all of us are." replied Della.

"And that's the problem: he's giving his opinions, not news facts." I replied. "That's what the corrupt Media has become. And we don't have to tolerate it, nor accept being that bastard's punching bag. And I don't have to accept myself or my Captain falsely being called racists."

"All right, guys." said the Chief. "I will discuss this with the Deputy Chief later today. Sheriff, is there anything else?"

"No." said the Sheriff. "We'll circle the wagons and take the flak... again."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Okay, guys," said the Chief at 2:00pm, "Judge Rodney K. Watts threw out the CFPA lawsuit, saying they had no standing to file it. This woman Aretha Carter had her hearing and was released by Judge Harry 'Spud' Nance on $100,000 bail... which was immediately made, paid for by the Center for Social Justice. She's gone, and will probably never be seen in this County again. The good news about that is that we get to keep the $100,000, and she won't be able to sue us."

We were in the main conference room: the Chief, me, Cindy, Teresa... and also Precinct Captain Damien Thompson, who'd asked for the meeting.

"Chief," I asked, "who was the Prosecutor for that hearing? And how much of a fight did the D.A.'s Office put up about the bail?"

"It was ADA Dwayne Gregory that was assigned to this particular case," said the Chief, putting emphasis on his words, "and there was virtually no resistance to it."

I looked over at Cindy, who just nodded knowingly. The District Attorney had sent his most inept ADA, who did not put up a fight.

"Moving along," said the Chief, "the Inspector General has already released his findings, which are that the Police acted properly. The bad news is the reaction by the black community. Captain Thompson?"

"Yes sir. Thank you, sir." said PCpt. Thompson. "The key players in the black community are T-Square, 'The Teacher', the Reverend Joseph E. Williams of the A.M.E. Church, Councilman Reginald B.F. Lewis, and Eldrick X. Weaver, a member of the Town & County Assembly. In truth, Williams and Lewis are diminished. The Teacher is the real power, followed by T-Square and Weaver, whose middle name is just the letter 'X' after Malcolm X. Crispus Appling, the first speaker at the Council meeting, is a friend of Weaver and was his campaign manager in the last election."

"I'm getting word," continued Thompson, "that T-Square was pretty pissed off about last night's incident. He's also skeptical of the official version of what happened to Jasmine Nix. Weaver usually stays pretty quiet, but he was seen having breakfast with Reginald B.F. Lewis and T-Square's lieutenant T-Mac this morning, which is probably not a good thing."

"What about The Teacher?" I asked, knowing he might hold the balance in his hand.

"No word yet." said Thompson. "Issues like this are 'bad for business' for him. Still, there will come a point where he will believe the only way to resolve the situation is to light the match, let it all burn out, then shove the ashes to the side and start over."

I nodded. Then Thompson hit me with the bombshell. "Chief, may I speak freely?"

"By all means." said the Chief.

"Commander," Thompson began, "all our Police Officers, black and white and anything else, know you have our backs, and that the Chief has our backs. You have nothing to prove, and while we understand you leading from the front and taking the arrows... you don't have to. In fact, a lot of the Officers believe that if you, quote, 'went upstairs and sat with the brass', close quote, and let us handle things, it might be better. It would definitely be understood. You're too radioactive right now, sir. People are targeting you. Remove that target, and they will be in confusion while we mop them up."

"He's right, you know." said the Chief.

"I hear ya." I said. "And while that goes against every fiber of my being, you're probably right. But there are two problems. First, the Press will attack me anyway. They'll say I'm hiding behind y'all, that I'm leading from behind or abrogating my position of leadership. Sure, we can ignore those filthy liars. But the second thing... is if any Police Officer got hurt or killed, and I could've prevented it or altered the outcome by being there... I would never forgive myself."

"You've got to delegate, sir." said Teresa. "You've got to let me lead my people and let the Leadership you've put in place do their jobs, just as the Chief lets us do our thing."

"She's right, you know." said the Chief. "Mr. Crowbar, I would not try to stop you from personally being at the scene of an already-committed crime. You do see things others don't, and you solve cases quickly. But when it comes to things like manning barricades, riot control, and the like... you are the General, and you need to stay in the Headquarters and run the battle through your subordinates. I don't want to have to force you to do this---"

"Chief, with all due respect, and since we're speaking freely," interrupted Cindy, "I believe you should make that an order. That is the only way you're going to get the Commander to stand back." I glared at Cindy as she said it. She turned and locked eyes with me, matching my stare, and not backing down one inch.

"There's one more thing, Commander." said Thompson. "With the racial nature of these latest events, I should be the one in front of them. Yes, this is politically incorrect, but they don't know what to do when they see a black man in front of them. Captain Croyle is a woman, they don't know what do about her, either."

I shook my head. "You guys have it all wrong. They are looking for a reason to hate you. They don't see a woman when they see Captain Croyle, they see a white Police Officer. They don't see a black man when they see you, Captain Thompson... they see a 'sellout to The Man', and a cop that will abuse them on behalf of The Man."

"Even so," said the Chief, "what I don't want them to see and be targeting, is a Police Officer who wields a red crowbar. We'll talk more of this later." That mean he intended to carry through on the wishes of these Officers. I knew also that they were saying this because they cared, about me and about the Police Force.

I still did not like it.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

John Hardwood's face was beet red as he sat in the office of Dan Walther, Executive Producer and Editor-in-Chief of KSTD News. Also in the office was Priya Ajmani.

"Come on, Dan!" Hardwood was shouting. "She made me look like a fool! And bringing up Captain Croyle's medals after Captain Croyle assaulted that woman? Who's side is she on?"

"I'm not on the side of that vicious attack on Captain Croyle!" shouted back Priya. "that was completely unwarranted and went over the line! You made KSTD look bad!"

"Keep your voices down, both of you." said Walther, whose own voice was naturally quiet and rather whispery. "Okay, first, about this morning. We've been flooded with calls, complaining about what you said about Captain Croyle, John---"

"It's only the truth, Dan!" Hardwood all but shouted. "Croyle did beat the shit out of Dean Allen. It's a pattern of behavior! She's a thug!"

"Do not interrupt me again, John." Walther said evenly. "Or I will fire you, and you know KXTC won't take you back. You'll be a cub reporter again, probably somewhere in another State. And let me be clear: Croyle beat up the son of Senator Allen, who was universally despised and would've lost his re-election bid if he had not died. The only politician in America more despised than Nathan Allen is Mitch McConnell."

"What I was going to say," said Walther, "is that Croyle has always gotten something of a pass on beating down Allen, who killed a mother and two children while driving drunk. And as Priya said, five Purple Orders and the Police Cross... she's more highly decorated than the Iron Crowbar himself... in my opinion, anyway."

"This little bitch didn't have to bring that up on air, Dan!" snarled Hardwood. "Especially countering my narrative of the Police brutality at the Town Council meeting."

"I know." said Walther. "That was definitely uncalled for. And I'm going to take steps to fix it, John, and like you want. No more lead-ins; we'll go straight to you, like KXTC goes straight to Bettina. Priya, you're off the morning desk. You'll be given assignments for stories, and we'll come to you after John gets the main story."

Priya was bitterly angry about that, and hearing Hardwood openly snickering at her didn't make her feel any better. "Whatever." she said, getting up. "Don't get too happy, Johnny Boy. When the morning ratings start plummeting, it will all be on you."

"Now just a minute, you little cunt---" started Hardwood, but Priya had opened the door and was already on her way out.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It was a relatively quiet dinner at the Troy home. Everyone could feel the vibe that Daddy was not very happy, though I tried hard to hide it and be cheerful. But Carole even ate her stringbeans without argument, which suggested she had her own vibe and was trying in her own way to make Daddy feel better. I made sure to give her a big hug at bedtime, and tell her I loved her and that she was a very good girl as I tucked her in. Not that I don't say that anyway, but I think she understood the emphasis. Bowser sure did; he loved the extra skritchins he got.

"Bad day, at the office, huh?" said Laura as she brought us drinks. I was sitting in the rocking chair, and as she pulled up a chair, I took her hand and made her sit in my lap.

"Yes." I said. "It was a bad day. The TCPD has its MCD Lieutenant: me. For all intents and purposes, that's about all I can do these days. I'm grounded when it comes to any incidents brewing."

"Still in charge, but from Headquarters, though." Laura replied. I nodded. She said "I for one am happy to hear that my hubby is out of harm's way for a while. I've been hearing some stuff that you're being specifically targeted by someone. After it blows over, I'm sure they'll let you come out of the basement, at least back to your office."