Summer School

Story Info
Beth teaches her best friend's son how to treat women.
18.4k words
4.59
6.2k
5
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The heat was intense. But, of course, that was what Beth had come to Greece for. That and to get away from work, from boredom, from dull grey England in 1972. Thanks to her friend Kelly she was lying by a swimming pool soaking up the sun, a glass of chilled retsina to hand, with not a care in the world. This was the life. Maybe being 40 wouldn't be so bad after all.

It was Kelly's birthday present to her. She hadn't wanted a party, so Kelly had said that she could spend a month in her villa in Greece. Only she and Beth would be there. They could do anything they wanted. Which so far -- two days in -- amounted to lying by the pool drinking wine. Why bother doing anything else, thought Beth, the heat covering her body like a blanket.

Dimly, she heard the phone ring in the house. A few minutes later Kelly came out.

'Bad news, I'm afraid. That was Sam. He's coming to join us.'

Sam was Kelly's son, 19 years old, still trying to decide what to do with himself. Beth had hardly seen him since he'd become a teenager and only vaguely recalled what he looked like.

'I hope you don't mind,' Kelly said. 'It being your birthday treat and all.'

'Of course not,' said Beth. 'Though I don't suppose he'll want to hang around with two middle-aged women.'

'Quite,' laughed Kelly.

Sam turned up the next afternoon. Beth was surprised at how tall he'd grown. Within five minutes he had changed into swimming trunks and joined Beth and Kelly by the pool. There was a monosyllabic imparting of news then everyone subsided into a stupor.

'Wow, it's hot,' said the boy after half an hour. 'I'm having a swim.'

Through half open eyes Beth watched him stroll to the board. He really was quite good-looking in a youthful sort of way and had a lithe slim body. She reminded herself he was over 20 years younger than her. And that he was the son of her best friend. She closed her eyes.

That night she lay in the bed she now had to share with Kelly -- the villa having only two bedrooms -- and listened to the cicadas.

'Are you asleep?' came Kelly's voice.

'I'm too hot.'

'I've been thinking about Sam.'

'So have I,' said Beth, immediately regretting opening her mouth.

'Exactly,' was her friend's surprising answer. 'Women are noticing him. I'm not sure what to do about it.'

'Why do anything about it?'

'Do you remember what it was like when you had your first boyfriend?'

'That was a long time ago,' laughed Beth. 'Mercifully I've forgotten all about it.'

'I haven't. I can remember every embarrassing detail. He didn't know how to kiss or anything. I knew even less. And when boys started wanting sex -- God, it was so ghastly I can hardly bring myself to think about it.'

'That was the 1950s, Kel. I don't suppose Sam is as ignorant as those boys were. Don't teenagers know everything nowadays? He could probably teach us a thing or two.'

'I doubt it. The other day I walked in on him masturbating over a girlie magazine.'

'You didn't!' Beth was quite shocked. 'What did you do?'

'Backed out of his room as quickly as possible. I don't know who was more embarrassed: him or me.'

'Well,' said Beth, 'there's nothing really wrong with it, is there? I mean, all boys masturbate. It's only natural.' Even while she spoke, the thought of Sam stroking himself made Beth even hotter than she was already. She kicked off the thin sheet that was all that was covering her and Kelly.

'It's all very well saying its natural,' sighed Kelly. 'As far as he's concerned, it's probably natural for all girls to look like pin-ups and not to mind having their tits groped on the first date. But I'd like him to grow up being a little more considerate.'

'Why don't you talk to him then?'

'His own mother? Don't be ridiculous. He'd run a mile.' Kelly turned to look at her friend. 'But you could.'

'What? You can't be serious.'

'I don't see why not. I'm not asking you to go into intimate details or anything.'

'Thank God for that,' said Beth.

'But you could certainly tell him that girls like a boy to be considerate and have a bit of finesse - not just wham bam thank you ma'am.'

Beth thought her friend was crazy. 'And how do you propose I bring up the subject?'

'I'm sure the opportunity will arise. It's not as if it won't be on his mind in this heat. Aren't boys supposed to think about sex every seven seconds or something?'

'That's what worries me,' said Beth. 'I don't want to encourage him.'

She only worried about it for a short time, thinking Kelly wasn't really serious. Then her mind drifted onto other things and finally, despite the heat, she slept.

The next day, she had forgotten all about it. That is, until Kelly reminded her. Kelly was going into town to do some shopping. Before she left, she murmured to Beth, 'Don't forget what I said. When I'm out would be a good time.' She was gone before Beth could object.

Sam spent most of the morning lying by the pool. Beth wondered what on earth she could say to him that wouldn't sound prudish or, worse, suggestive. She decided to say nothing. She changed into her bikini and walked out to the pool. Sam opened an eye and gave a lazy wolf whistle.

Before she could think about it, Beth said, 'Don't do that, Sam.'

'Do what?'

'Whistle like that. It sounds crude.'

He sat up. 'Sorry. I didn't mean anything by it.'

'That's a pity. I thought it meant you liked the look of me.'

'Well, yeah,' said Sam, confused. 'Obviously I meant that.'

'You didn't mean anything by it, but now you do. Which is it?'

'I mean,' said Sam, blushing, 'you look good in a bikini.'

'Then why not say so,' Beth said, lying on a sun-bed, 'instead of whistling?'

'I don't know,' said Sam sheepishly. 'It just came out.'

'That's the trouble,' said Beth, thinking that maybe she could do what Kelly asked, after all. 'Men don't think before they act. You need to consider how something like a wolf whistle is going to be received. You can't just assume women are going to be flattered, or whatever it is you do assume. Some women may not appreciate it.'

'I thought all women liked being whistled at.'

'You thought wrong,' said Beth. 'I don't. And I'll tell you why. I don't like it because it makes me feel cheap. It makes me feel like an object, not a human being. And when it's accompanied by a leer or a suggestive remark, that's even worse.' She was getting into her stride now and poor Sam's crestfallen face wasn't going to stop her. 'Because the assumption behind it is objectionable. It assumes that every woman is longing for praise - of whatever kind - from any man. And that is so far from the truth, it would be laughable if it weren't so pathetic.'

There was a silence, while Beth drew breath.

'I only gave a whistle,' came Sam's timid voice.

'Well, perhaps you'll think next time,' said Beth, wishing she didn't sound as stern as it came out.

After a few more minutes of silence, she thought she should try to retrieve some of the relaxed mood of the holiday. It didn't do to have a sullen boy in the middle of all this sunshine. 'Not that I don't appreciate the sentiment,' she said. 'Just the way it was expressed.'

Sam took a moment to work out what that meant, then said, 'So you wouldn't mind if I said you looked pretty good in that bikini? For your age, I mean.'

Beth couldn't help laughing at the backhanded compliment. 'You've got a lot to learn about dealing with women.'

'What have I done now?' protested Sam. He thought he'd been pretty nice to his mum's friend.

Beth sighed. 'Never mention a woman's age, not even as part of a compliment.'

'I didn't,' said Sam.

'Not even vaguely, in passing. I know I don't look bad - for my age - but I don't like being told. I want to be told I look good, full stop.'

'Oh, I see.' He thought a moment. 'Well, you do look good, full stop. I don't know why I said 'for your age'. I guess I'm not used to dealing with older women.'

Beth laughed. 'There you go again. Maybe you'd better just keep quiet.'

She closed her eyes. There was silence for a moment then Sam muttered something she couldn't make out.

'What was that?'

'I said you do look good.' He blushed as he said it. Beth thought he'd probably never said anything so baldly to any girl before. Maybe compliments weren't common currency among the youth of today. Maybe it was all unspoken; they just got drunk and the next thing they were snogging. How unromantic.

'Thank you,' she said. 'You're not so bad-looking yourself.' She was pleased to see he blushed even more at that. 'Now I'd like to lie here in peace.'

She closed her eyes again and lay back on the sun-bed. She didn't see what Sam did but after a minute or two there was a splash from the swimming pool. No doubt he was cooling himself off, she thought to herself with a smile. She dozed in the sun, only half aware when Sam came out of the pool and threw himself down on his sun-bed again. She turned over onto her front and dozed some more. God, it was hot.

After twenty minutes she could feel perspiration bursting out all over her. She got up and walked to the pool and dangled a foot in the water. It was cold after the heat of the sun. 'Don't be a scaredy-cat,' she heard Sam say. 'Go for it.'

She laughed despite herself. It appealed to her to be treated like a child occasionally. A part of her even wanted Sam to come up behind her and push her in. She would scream and pretend to be frightened. Then he would have to dive in and rescue her. Then... Well, it was better not to think about that.

She dived in and, after the initial shock of the cold water, swam effortlessly to the other end of the pool. The water felt glorious after the heat of the sun. She turned and swam a few lengths, half hoping that Sam would join her. But he showed no sign of stirring from his sun-bed, where he was reading a book. After floating on her back for a while, she climbed out of the pool. She went and stood between the sun-beds and bent to pick up her towel. She felt a touch on her thigh. Immediately, without thinking, she whirled round and fetched Sam a hard slap on the face.

'Ow!' he shouted. 'What was that for?'

'You never touch me. Understand? Never.'

'I didn't touch you,' he declared, holding his face. 'I didn't.'

He sounded so sincere and genuinely hurt that Beth started to have doubts. Perhaps he hadn't touched her. Could it have been the towel?

'Are you sure? I certainly felt something.'

He looked sullenly at her. 'I don't know what you felt. But it wasn't me.'

'Well, alright then.' She didn't know how to proceed. She couldn't apologise. It would seem like she'd been in the wrong all along. Worse, it would seem that she was protesting too much. Had she over-reacted? Had she been expecting something? What had she been thinking when she bent over right in front of him, showing her bottom like that?

'I'm sorry,' she said, sitting on her sun-bed. 'Did I hit you hard?'

Sam rubbed his face. 'Not particularly. It was a surprise, that's all. I've never been hit by a woman before.'

'Oh dear,' she said. 'What must you think of me? I suppose I owe you now. Can I get you a drink or something?'

He sat up. 'Well, I could always drink a beer.'

She got up and went into the villa and came back a few minutes later with a couple of ice-cold beers. And that was how Kelly found them a few minutes later when she returned from the shops: drinking a couple of beers in the sun.

'I see you two have been working hard. Help me put this lot away, Beth.'

Kelly was dying to ask Beth if she'd made any progress with Sam, and couldn't wait to get her alone. 'Well? How did it go?'

'Honestly,' said Beth. 'How do you think it went? I didn't give him the seven steps to every woman's heart.'

'No, but you did tell him some home truths, didn't you? I know you, Beth. You can never resist a challenge. Or a handsome young man,' she added, laughing.

'OK, OK, I may have given him a couple of pointers. He won't be giving wolf whistles any more. And he won't be touching any girls on the bum any time soon.'

'I'm glad to hear it,' said Kelly. 'I didn't even know he'd been doing that anyway.'

'Well, he may not have done any touching,' admitted Beth. 'But let's just say he's unlikely to try it now.' She could still feel the faint sting on her hand where it had connected with poor Sam's face. She really would have to make that up to him somehow.

'I knew I could rely on you.' Kelly gave her friend a quick kiss on the cheek. 'And there's another opportunity for you to tutor him tomorrow evening.'

'Now hold on. I'm not sure...'

'It's perfect,' interrupted Kelly. 'There's a dance in town tomorrow night. I shall feel a bit sick - too much sun or something - so you and Sam can go on your own and you can teach him how to behave with girls his own age.'

'I'm not sure he'll appreciate having me as a chaperone.'

'Nonsense. He'll love having you on his arm. I've seen the way he looks at you.'

Beth was silenced by her friend's last remark. She didn't know whether to be flattered or horrified at the thought that a 19-year-old boy found her attractive. Hadn't he said as much only an hour ago? Oh God, what should she do if he made a pass at her? She had enough self-knowledge to realise she would probably welcome it. After all, it wasn't often a 40-year-old woman is found attractive by any man, let alone a handsome young boy. On the other hand, shouldn't she be the responsible one? Seen from the outside, such a relationship would be seen as cradle snatching, taking advantage of a boy young enough to be her own son. No, if he tried anything, she would just have to put him in his place, politely but firmly.

It was with this resolve that she walked down to the town the next evening with Sam. She had chosen a strappy cotton dress with a high waist, loose enough to be comfortable but fitted enough to show off her still firm breasts. Sam was dressed, as usual, in shorts and t-shirt. It was a warm evening and the dance was in the small town square, with the band on a stage of wooden pallets. The audience seemed to consist of everyone in the small town: grandparents, grandchildren, whole families, a few holidaymakers, town girls parading arm-in-arm in front of shy young men. The music was designed to appeal to everyone, young and old. The band would play a waltz one moment, followed by a folk song, followed by some hard rock. Everyone joined in regardless: old men danced with little children, grannies with their grandsons, girls in groups. Occasionally a traditional Greek song would start up, which would be an opportunity for the men to show off, dancing in a curved line, their arms on each other's shoulders, to clapping from onlookers. And of course there was drinking.

Beth felt the need for a drink as soon as they arrived. She was sure she wouldn't survive the evening sober. Sam went to the bar and came back with a beer for himself and some retsina for her. She took a sip. 'Ugh, disgusting,' she said, making a face. She took another, larger, sip.

'It'll taste better after the second or third glass,' laughed Sam.

'I shouldn't think so,' said Beth, joining in his laughter.

'Do you want to dance?' he asked, not looking as if he expected - or wanted - a yes.

'Let's find somewhere to sit while I gather my courage.'

He found some chairs by one of the tables round the edge of the dancing area. Other tables were occupied by elderly locals. Beth noticed that she and Sam looked a little out of place.

'You go and dance if you want to. You don't want to be stuck with me all evening.'

'I don't mind,' he said gallantly. But she could see his eyes wandering over the girls in their giggling groups.

'Go on,' she said. 'Ask one of them for a dance.'

'I'll stay with you. I don't feel like dancing yet.'

Beth could tell he was dying to walk over to the girls, but was painfully shy.

'You just walk over,' she said, 'and ask her very politely if she would like to dance.'

'Men don't ask women to dance any more,' he scoffed. 'What century do you think we're living in?'

'This isn't London,' she said. 'This is a local dance in a small town in Greece. Or hadn't you noticed all the grannies and children? This is definitely the sort of occasion where you ask someone to dance.'

'Is that right?' He looked unconvinced. 'What if they don't understand English?'

'They'll know what you mean, trust me. And don't try any corny chat-up lines. Just be straightforward. If she's got any sense she'll say yes. If she says no, she's a fool. There are plenty of girls to choose from.'

'You make it sound simple.'

'What's the worst that could happen?' She gave him an encouraging smile.

'That thought doesn't make it any easier,' he said. But he got up. 'Wish me luck.'

'Smile and be nice,' she said. 'You'll be fine.'

She watched him trying to look casual as he made his way across the square to where two girl holidaymakers were sitting at a table. They looked at him as he came nearer, then at each other, then giggled and looked ostentatiously anywhere but at Sam. He wasn't put off, Beth was glad to notice. He said something to the slightly less attractive of the pair. Good choice, thought Beth. Put the blonde in her place. Sam didn't hold out his hand, but the girl got up and went with him onto the dancing area.

As they danced, Beth saw that for a boy he was quite a good mover. A bit wooden perhaps, but he had a sense of rhythm. His main trouble was that he didn't seem to speak to the girl at all, and eventually, after spending a bit of time looking at him and smiling uncertainly, she kept looking back at her friend still sitting at the table. When the music finished she joined her friend, evidently with some relief.

Sam came back to Beth, sat down and swigged his beer.

'Well, what was she like?'

'She was German,' said Sam, as if that was all she needed to know.

'So?'

'She didn't speak much English.'

'Perfect,' said Beth. 'She'll find everything you say funny and charming.'

'I couldn't think of anything to say,' said Sam. 'My mind went blank.'

'Just talk to her,' said Beth. 'Girls aren't from another planet. Ask her where she comes from, where she's staying, how long she's here for, is she at college, what is she studying. There's any number of things you can talk about.'

'It always sounds so pathetic when I say anything.' Sam stared into his beer.

'Well, it won't sound pathetic to her, believe me. So long as you're interested in her, she'll appreciate anything you say. I take it you are interested in her.'

'Yeah, she's pretty.'

'Well, what are you waiting for?' She prodded him in the side.

'Ow, stop it.'

'Go on, ask her for another dance.'

'No, I've blown it.'

'I don't think so,' said Beth. All the time she had been talking to Sam, she had been keeping an eye on the girl, who had been surreptitiously looking over at their table. The girl got up and sauntered along the edge of the dance area towards Beth's and Sam's table. 'She's coming over. Now's your chance.'

The girl stopped by Sam, who blushed scarlet. 'You want to dance?' she asked uncertainly.

This was a new one to Beth: girls asking boys to dance. Maybe they did things differently in Germany.

Sam got up and together they moved onto the dance area. The song was slower than most, which gave Sam an opportunity to hold the girl by the waist. She didn't seem to mind. Beth tried not to stare, but they did make an attractive couple. She drained her glass of retsina and went to one of the outside bars for another. A middle-aged man with a moustache asked her to dance and, after a moment's nervous hesitation, she let herself be led onto the dance area. He was English and spent most of the dance telling her about himself. When the music finished she said, 'thank you,' and hid herself in a crowd of people. She took a roundabout route back to her table, to find it commandeered by a Greek family. They quickly got a chair for her and insisted she join their party. From that point on, she forgot all about Sam. The evening became a blur of toasts to Anglo-Greek relations, tipsy attempts at Greek dancing, emotional conversations with Greek women and goodnatured fightings off of amorous Greek men. It was only when the family got up to leave - amid much kissing of cheeks - that she thought about Sam and wondered where he might have got to. He appeared a few moments later on his own.