Surefoot 50: Small Mercies

Story Info
Sasha returns home to recover... if she can...
12.3k words
4.33
5k
2

Part 64 of the 104 part series

Updated 04/10/2024
Created 10/24/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Surefoot
Surefoot
205 Followers

"USS Surefoot-A, Captain's Log, Stardate 50891.39, Captain Esek Hrelle, Recording: The Thirteenth Fleet continues its journey to the Khavak Sector to hold back the Dominion... if we can.

Before that, however, my daughter Sasha is returning to her family for some quality time. She's had a harrowing last few weeks: being inducted into the Caitian Order of the Kaetini, assaulted by Ferasans, taking command of her own ship to go and rescue her Captain and crewmates who had been captured, having to fight and kill... any one of these would be tough to cope with, even for someone as strong as Sasha. But I'm confident that my wife has the skills to help her manage.

As for me, I intend to give my daughter a nice quiet welcome home..."

*

"CEREMONIAL GUARD!"

The dozen Security personnel he had ordered to the Shuttlebay snapped to attention, as the doors slid open, the invisible atmospheric shield protecting everyone within from being blown out into space. Hrelle moved down the line, arms folded behind him, nodding with approval at the dress uniforms and sidearms. "In a few moments, Lt Sasha Hrelle will arrive from the Ajax. She is not only my daughter, and a senior officer of a sister ship, but is also now a member of the Caitian Order of the Kaetini.

This is a very prestigious honour, the equivalent of a Terran Knighthood or a Klingon Dahar Baldric. It is awarded to very few, and until her, never awarded to a non-Caitian." He stopped at the end of the line. "Mr Gorman? Are you ready to do your Chief of Security proud in her absence?"

Ensign Brian Gorman, a ginger-haired, square-jawed human male, smirked. "Better that than risk her wrath, Sir," before quickly adding, "Or yours of course, Captain."

Hrelle smiled and returned to the rest of the welcoming party, looking out through the shield into the starscape beyond, seeing the other ships in the Fleet... and one object, a shuttle, approaching. He rocked nervously in place, his tail sweeping the air behind him. and his stomach churned as if somehow still hungry following dinner. "I have a bad feeling about this..."

Behind him, his wife, Counselor Kami Hrelle, stood more casually, adjusting the cuffs of her jacket. "A little late to have second thoughts, Captain, Sir. If only you had someone close to you with the nous to provide sound advice, to steer you on the right course, to keep you from making a total and utter fool of yourself, to-"

"Enough already." He growled to himself. "Passive-aggressive bitch."

Standing behind them with the others, their four-year-old son Misha broke ranks to aim a finger and a stern look at his father. "Rude Word! You disrespect women! Women aren't dogs!"

Kami crossed her arms and offered a proud smile. "Quite right, Cub of Mine. You tell him."

Hrelle ignored her to look at their son. "Who taught you that?"

"I did, Esek," replied Jhess Furore, the spotted Caitian male nanny standing beside Misha with Misha's infant sister Sreen in his arms. He adjusted the pacifier in her mouth. "He learned very quickly."

"You taught my son profanity?"

"As many examples as I could think of!"

Hrelle looked back to his wife. "And you're happy with this?"

"Yes, actually. Jhess has taught him not only the words, and what they mean, but most importantly, why they shouldn't be used. He's learning that they're not grown-up, that there are better ways of expressing himself, and knowing them now, he won't be tricked in the future into using them by the likes of his cousin C'Rash and others."

"I've even written a song about it," Jhess concluded, looking down at Sreen and crooning, "Pottymouth, Pottymouth / Don't be a Pottymouth / East or West, North or South / Be anything but a Pottymouth-"

Hrelle muttered another curse.

"Rude Word!" Misha declared loudly. "People aren't rectums!"

Kami and several others laughed out loud, while Hrelle shook his head and focused on the still-approaching shuttle, watching it pass harmlessly through the shield to rest on a vacant pad, as Gorman motioned to the other Security team members to line up outside the side of the shuttle, snapping to attention. Hrelle beamed to himself.

"She's not going to thank you for this," Kami warned him.

"Hush," he grunted... though inwardly, he suspected she was right. Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time, a chance to show the positive aspects of recent events; he knew better than anyone else onboard the honour given to his daughter-

His attention focused on the here and now, as the gull-wing door to the shuttle lifted up, and a head popped out from one side of the open doorway. "Dad! What the FRICK?"

Misha gasped, but looked to Jhess for clarification. The nanny shook his head. "Almost, but not quite."

Then Sasha stepped fully into view, and Hrelle could see that she had shaved either side of her head, one side displaying a red pawprint, the other revealing claw marks, leaving a thick blonde mane down the middle, running back between the travel bag slung over her left shoulder, and the hilt of a sword over her right.

Hrelle pushed aside the radical look his daughter had adopted, to take in the hilt, and the identical red pawprint symbol bolted onto the end, the same one outside his own ship, an ancient Caitian sigil adopted as the symbol of his vessel's function as an ambulance vessel. It was true. His daughter really was Kaetini now. Mother's Cubs, what were the odds of that happening...

Gorman somehow stood even more to attention at the end of the line, as Sasha walked along, her face flushed as she stopped at him. "Have you taken over from my cousin, Brian?"

The man flushed as well. "Uh, only temporarily, Ma'am. Lieutenant Shall has gone to Vulcan with Commander T'Varik to marry."

She leaned in to him, as if to impart a confidentiality, but she was looking in her father's direction as she noted aloud, "Sorry about all this meshuga nonsense, I know this wasn't your idea." Now she strode up to Hrelle. "Seriously, Dad? Where's the three-tier Welcome Home cake while you're at it?"

"Oh, Runt of the Litter, I would never go that far." He glanced over his shoulder, in a mock whisper ordering, "Hide the cake."

Sasha smirked as he spread out his arms and took her into an embrace. He felt her hug back, noted the increased strength in the muscles in her arms and shoulders... and the wellspring of emotion she was just about keeping just beneath the surface.

He knew that feeling.

Then Sasha pulled back, all grins as she drew up to Kami, embracing her. "Hi, Second Mama! Keeping well, I hope?"

Kami's eyes locked with Hrelle's as she hugged back. "Quite well, thanks, Sweetheart... except for my nipples. Sreen's teeth are sharper than Misha's were at her age!"

Sasha laughed. "Be thankful I'm on solid foods now, or I might be lining up for some as well." She looked past the Caitian. "Where's my Little Brother?"

Misha rushed up, leaping into his sister's arms. She spun in place, his head buried in her neck... and his hands trying to reach up and touch the hilt of her sword, until she finally set him down again. "Seven Hells, you're getting heavier every day! That'll be Papa's genes; luckily you'll have gotten your brains and charm from your Mama." She looked up as Jhess approached with Sreen. "And you must be the new Llalare, Dr Furore."

The Caitian male grinned. "Everyone calls me Jhess, or Jhessie... when T'Varik's around, she calls me Darling, but that's only to make C'Rash jealous." He held up the infant in his arms. "Here: My Lady needs to take in her sister's fresh scent and sound. I've made sure we've had some clothing of yours in her crib to familiarise her for your visits, so she'll half-know you already."

"Thanks, Jhess, that was very thoughtful of you." She glanced at Hrelle. "He doesn't seem anywhere near as annoying as you made out, Dad."

Hrelle felt himself blush under his fur as eyes turned to him. "I never said 'annoying', Sasha; I said..." Then he gave up. "Shut up and hold your sister."

But Sasha hesitated, as if afraid to accept the tiny bundle. But finally she relented, letting Jhess help with the right way to cradle her against Sasha's shoulder. A new, more sober expression took hold of the human's face, and as she shifted in place, she murmured something, something Hrelle couldn't pick up, and from the expression from Kami beside him, neither could she... but Jhess' bemused reaction told them he had.

Then Sasha, still holding the infant and with Misha close in tow, moved to Masterson, Neheru, Velkovsky, Grev and the others in the welcoming party. Kami signalled for Jhess to join them, asking quietly, "What did she say to Sreen?"

The nanny looked between the two, having been briefed on Sasha's status, but clearly uncomfortable about revealing anything. Then he replied, "'Stay this size as long as you can; the Universe is scary'."

*

Sasha was standing up in the Hrelles' living room, Kaetini sword drawn to display for a transfixed Misha. "Too bad Eydiir's visiting the Samaritan for medical training, she'd get a kick out of seeing me with this; we'd could have a sword party. So, Dad, how'd you manage to let T'Varik and C'Rash elope to Vulcan without throwing them a big loud embarrassing party?"

Reclining on the couch, Hrelle shrugged. "On rare occasions, I have been capable of acceding to the requests of others."

Nestled beside him, observing the body language of Sasha, Kami clarified, "He was tricked. T'Varik was going home because of some pressing legal business with her Vulcan family, and he didn't know until after they left that C'Rash had accompanied her."

He shrugged. "Just wait 'til they get back. There'll be a party, I promise; I want to see what T'Varik is like drunk..."

Misha reached up for Sasha's sword. "Lemme hold it! I wanna play Kaetini!"

Sasha grinned, drawing closer. "Sure, sport-"

Kami shook her head. "No, Sweetheart, it's not a toy, it's too sharp and heavy for you."

Sasha looked to her. "Oh come on, Mama, let him!"

"No, Sasha," Hrelle added gently but firmly.

The toddler growled. "Jhessie...?"

Changing Sreen nearby, the nanny never looked up as he replied, "I can't override your parents, Young Cub... and anyway I agree with them, weapons aren't toys. Now come here, My Lady has a present for her Big Brother."

Misha harrumphed as he complied. "Bet it's another stinky diaper..."

Sasha chuckled. "I remember gagging from all the toxic delights you produced at her age, kiddo." Then she grinned at Hrelle, reversing her hold on her sword to point the hilt to him. "Well, Misha might be too young, but I know you aren't. Go on, let's see how you look with it."

But Hrelle never moved, cradling his tea mug and shaking his head. "No thanks, Sash. A father should never handle his daughter's sword; it's way too Freudian. Besides, I'll only end up using it as a fondue stick."

Kami smiled up. "Sit down with us, Sash, tell us about life on the Ajax-"

But Sasha continued to stare at her father, her mood changing. "What's wrong, Dad? After all the stories you used to tell me about the Order, I thought you'd jump at the chance to handle a real Kaetini sword." She lowered her weapon. "You think I shouldn't have been offered this?"

He set aside his drink. "No! Not at all! You're very deserving of it, really..."

"But? I hear a But in there."

"There's no But, Sasha."

"What is it then? Jealousy 'coz you never had one?"

The tension in the room rose several degrees, and Misha, still near Jhess and Sreen, looked back at the rest of his family. "Why you no play, Papa?"

Sasha's face hardened further, her gaze narrowing challengingly. "Yeah, Papa. Why you no play? Go on. I cleaned the Ferasan blood off it."

"Blood?" Misha repeated, eyes wide with confusion.

Kami immediately rose to her feet, Hrelle following as she announced, "Jhess, please take the cubs next door."

"I wanna stay!" Misha protested.

But the nanny scooped up the infant in one hand, taking Misha's hand with his other. "Come along, Little Cub, I'll teach you a few Klingon swear words I just remembered..."

When the three of them left and the door slid shut, Kami continued, more sympathetic but still resolute. "Everyone onboard knows of your inclusion in the Order, and, more generally, the incident with the Ferasans."

"But we've kept the details of the Ferasan assault on you - and what you did on the Ferasan ship - to a bare minimum," Hrelle continued. "And Misha knows nothing about it. Nor will he, not now."

Sasha was glaring now, sheathing her sword. "Well... maybe he should? Maybe my brother needs to be prepared to face bigger threats out here than just curse words?"

"Maybe," Kami conceded gently. "But that's a decision you should leave to his parents. And now that we're finally alone, we can talk about how this is more than just a social visit. You're on Compulsory Medical Leave, and I'll-"

"Compulsory?" Sasha cut in, frowning with sudden outrage. "Weynik never said it was Compulsory! That lying little bastard-"

Hrelle raised a hand to cut her off. "Captain Weynik - your Commanding Officer - is worried about how you're coping following recent events... actually, he was worried before recent events. The previous Klingon attack, the overall responsibilities you've had to shoulder as Second Officer-"

"I'M FINE!" she snapped loudly, her face scarlet, before almost immediately calming down again. "Which you can obviously tell by how well I'm responding." She breathed out. "Sorry. Guess I have to get some things off my chest."

"It's understandable," Kami told her, smiling. "And we can start first thing tomorrow, 0900 Hours. I have sessions scheduled for you over the coming days."

Sasha looked between them, and then offered a reassuring smile back. "Sure, Mama. Whatever you say. I'll get through this." Then she brightened. "Now, how about we get the others back in here, and maybe Jhess can sing us a song or two?"

"Or better yet," Hrelle suggested. "No songs at all?"

He was overruled.

*

Hrelle had waited until the evening was over, the cubs were in bed and Sasha off to the guest quarters, before he spoke with Kami in their bedroom. "Well?"

Kami sat on a chair, removing her boots and rubbing her toes. "Well... she says she'll get through this."

He hung up his jacket and stared over at her. "That's all you've got to say?"

"I haven't formally diagnosed her yet, Esek."

"Don't give me that! You're brilliantly intuitive, experienced- I bet you've got her all worked out already!"

"If you're looking to get some tonight-"

"Kami..." he growled.

She looked back. "She's acknowledged that she has traumas to confront. That's always a big step..."

"But?" he prompted.

"But, I don't think she recognises how difficult that confrontation will be. Being confident that she'll get through this is one thing. Dealing with each step as she goes along is another. It won't be solved in a week-" She grunted as she massaged her toes.

Hrelle approached, kneeling down in front of her and taking her foot in his hands. "She's calling you Mama now. That doesn't bother you, does it?"

"I did offer her years ago to consider me as such. And no, it doesn't." But her tone suggested more than she said.

"I want to be kept abreast of her condition."

"Yes," she noted neutrally, leaning back and making sounds of approval at his ministrations.

He looked up. "I mean it. Medical Confidentiality be damned, she's my daughter."

"I know, Esek. And she's like a daughter to me, too. But I can't approach her like that and expect to provide an objective diagnosis." She sighed. "Don't worry, Husband of Mine. I have a feeling you'll be playing a larger role in her recovery than you might think."

*

Lt Neheru opened his eyes to the darkness as he heard the alert from his desktop computer, and carefully and quietly slid out from under his bedsheets to rise and approach; he was off-duty, but with Commander T'Varik on leave he was Acting First Officer, and knew he was technically always on call. But if this turned out to be a false alarm, the Kelpien also promised Holy Hell on whomever was responsible. The tall, lanky male leaned down and read the screen, frowning.

From his bed, still shrouded in darkness, a female voice asked, "Trouble?"

He grunted, annoyed at having awakened his lover. "An alert from Holodeck 2; I set Safety Locks to prevent the cadets from engaging in hazardous activities, but someone with Command credentials has overridden them... it's Sasha!"

"Computer: Lights." The room illuminated, and Lt Irina Velkovsky sat up, tucking the bedsheets under her arms and squinting under her mass of honey-blonde hair. "Sasha? I thought she couldn't do something like that, being assigned to another ship."

"Normally, you can't. But she is a... singular individual." He shook his head, and moved to the clothes he had discarded when they had retired for the evening.

"Aren't you gonna alert the Captain?"

"Not at 0400 Hours. I'll deal with it." Neheru looked over at her, still unable to suppress a smirk at seeing her in his bed. At over two metres in height, his quarters and all the furnishings were designed for him, which was perfectly fine... until he reached the stage in every Kelpien's life, when their threat tendrils shed, their persona changes from the Cautious to the Courageous, and they become willing to take chances. Like dating co-workers.

He had never thought in a million years that he would begin a romantic relationship with the likes of Irina, though he had known her ever since this vessel became the Surefoot-A, and they had always gotten along as colleagues. And he certainly never expected her to return his interest, when he finally had the courage to express it.

If he had known the results would be so satisfying, he would have had his tendrils removed years ago. "Sorry to wake you. Go back to sleep."

Irina smiled back, though her smile was laced with mischief. "Maybe I'll do that." She let the bedsheets slip down, revealing more of herself. "And maybe I'll still be awake when you get back. And ready for you."

He almost considered changing his mind and not leaving.

Almost.

*

The Holodeck was locked; Neheru's authority overrode this, and he entered... a charnel house.

The program was a representation of some interior, dark and with a heavier gravity than normal, and the air was filled with roars and screams... and a sickening smell from photonic bodies lying in the shadows.

And he watched aghast as Sasha Hrelle stood in the centre, facing down a ring of Ferasans, their claws and fangs bared, attacking her in random sequences... while she stabbed and swiped back at them with a long sword in dark grey. He saw she was cut in several places, to judge from the tears in her civilian clothes, but her face, a mask of fury, didn't even register them, or his intrusion.

Until he called out, "Computer! End Program!"

The Ferasans, living, dying and dead, and the surrounding environment, disappeared, leaving an exhausted-looking Sasha, her sword arm hanging limply at her side. She was breathing hard, her face red. "N-Ne-Neheru- what- what are you doing here?"

He stared hard at her, remembering when he first met this young human years before, when her stepfather saw something in him, and gave him a chance to be more than just a functionary at Utopia Planitia. There was something special about Sasha... but he never thought he would see her in such a state. "I was alerted to your overriding my Safety Locks! What are you doing in here?"

Surefoot
Surefoot
205 Followers