Sweet Candy

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Kal may have stashed the stolen money in his room. The boy was an idiot, after all. Well, had been an idiot.

He grabbed his travel bag and charged into the hall and up the stairs. He saw something on the steps and realized it was blood. Kal was bleeding when he left the house? Before the crash?

As Byron moved down the hall toward Kal's room, he spotted a splash of red on the carpet next to Candace's bed. He stepped inside, hoping to see her dead body, but instead, he saw the mattress was partially hanging off the bed like someone pulled it, then a large blood spot and vomit. Nearby was one of those girly barbells with blood splattered over one end.

She'd been here!

Candace had gotten into a fight with Kal... and won!

A picture was forming in his mind of the sneaky bitch, but he didn't have time to deal with that now. He left her room and quickly tossed Kal's, searching for his money. He finally had to give up when all he found were a bunch of crumpled twenties. He stuffed them in his pocket, then ran down the hall and descended the stairs.

"BYRON!"

He pulled the gun from his pocket and fired wildly toward the front entrance as he turned and ran for the back door. Winslow yelled in rage and fired back, but the bullet struck the door frame as Byron ducked through. He fired back one more time before surging through the patio door. He ran around the side of the house expecting Todd to suddenly appear, but he didn't.

Just before Byron reached his car door, the sheriff appeared at the home's front entrance, and Byron took another shot at him. Todd yelped and threw himself back inside as the bullet scored a groove against the outer edge of his left thigh.

Byron leaped into his car and got it started. He fired another shot at the door as Winslow ducked his head out to try to take aim.

Sirens could be heard approaching, so Byron drove over the curb onto his lawn and headed for the fence on the far side of his property. There was a lane behind it, which he'd use to get out of the neighborhood.

A bullet took out his rear window when the sheriff hit it with a lucky shot. Then Byron aimed his car at a fence panel between two posts and was through it with a deafening crash. He spun the wheel to straighten out on the narrow lane and accelerated away. He'd have to change cars as his was now too conspicuous.

He was on the run with no funds to begin his new life.

FUCK!

-=-

Todd roared in frustration, then hobbled toward his cruiser when three state trooper vehicles raced into the driveway. In his rage, he fired at the first one without thinking, and all three spread out and skidded to a stop, blocking the lane.

Panicking now, he got to his car and reached in for his shotgun, but the moment he pulled it out, a bullet caught him on the shoulder and spun him around. His weapon went flying.

The next thing he knew, he had three state troopers pinning him to the ground as they removed his remaining weapons. He was flipped over and cuffed.

"Suspect taken into custody. Medical attention required," one said into his mic.

"Byron... Tafferty... getting away..." he gasped against the rough driveway as pain shot from his shoulder.

"You let us worry about that, fuck nuts. You're in the shit now," a younger officer said with a grin.

The sheriff slumped to the ground. It wasn't fair. Years of dealing with Byron's messes as the man kept him on a leash by guaranteeing his re-election every year. The last few had been the worst, and this was how he was rewarded?

Fuck.

Chapter 12

As ten PM rolled around, the FBI agents finally began packing up and returning to their cars. They'd spent the afternoon interviewing Candace in the Hughes living room, reviewing every detail she'd recorded of her father's embezzling plan and how she'd thwarted it.

The fact that the funds moved from the company's accounts into personal ones belonging to Byron completed his crime. The fact that Candace moved the funds back into the proper accounts had no bearing on the case against Byron, as the man hadn't been aware of her activities. The correspondence she'd collected between Byron and his lawyer outlined the plan, which ended with the funds in his offshore accounts. It was assumed he would manually transfer the sheriff's and lawyer's shares into their offshore accounts, but the funds were gone before that could happen.

Agent Lewis Jefferson was the FBI investigator Candace chose and was the last one still in the house. The other agents had taken down the lights and cameras they used to record her statement and packed away all their equipment.

"On behalf of the FBI, thank you for your exceptional efforts recording your father's criminal activity. I'm terribly sorry for what you had to endure, but it proves what a remarkable young lady you are," Lewis said as he shook her hand. Candace smiled at him in thanks.

"I understand that Sheriff Winslow is in custody, and your father's lawyer, Preston Mathers, died in his home after being shot by Winslow. Your father remains at large, but there's a statewide APB out and a warrant for his arrest. We understand he's armed, as he and the sheriff exchanged gunfire at your home. We'd like to take you into protective custody until he's captured. You're our star witness," the agent said earnestly.

Candace looked to Marion and George, and they both nodded.

"I think that may be for the best," Marion added. "Just until it's safe."

Candace moved forward and pulled Marion into a hug. She moved her mouth to the woman's ear to speak softly.

"Thank you for believing me when you had every reason to doubt." Her voice wobbled with emotion.

Marion gave her another squeeze, then pulled back to smile at the younger woman. Her eyes were a little glassy, too. "My instincts have never failed me before. I knew you were worthy of my trust. You come back the moment it's safe to do so. Greg will be pining for you."

Candace hiccupped in surprise as her face flushed. She smiled shyly at Marion. "May I say goodbye to him?"

Marion had sent Greg to rest in his bedroom when she spotted him nodding off after lunch.

"Yes. Just don't get too enthusiastic with your goodbyes, as he's still injured," Marion said as she locked eyes with Candace.

Fighting back a wide smile, Candace nodded, then turned to Jefferson. "I'll come with you, but I need to say goodbye to Greg first. Also, will it be possible for me to stop by my house to properly pack a suitcase?"

"That's fine. I'll just be outside making arrangements." He turned to the parents. "Thank you very much for protecting Ms. Tafferty."

"It was our pleasure. After all, she's practically family!" George said boldly with a grin. Marion slapped his arm, and he looked at her in exaggerated surprise. "What? The writing's on the wall!"

Marion rolled her eyes at her husband's teasing as Candace rushed away down the hall, her face burning with the thrill of the idea. She took some calming breaths and knocked gently on Greg's closed door. She heard a noise, so she opened the door and stepped inside. She moved closer to the bed and saw Greg was asleep. She frowned as she was sure she'd heard him say something.

The blinds were closed, but the light next to the bed was on. In the dim light, she could see his eyes were closed. She could also see he was tenting the sheets.

"Candace..."

Greg was dreaming of her? He was dreaming of her and was erect?

She didn't know what to do. She didn't want to embarrass him but really wanted to say goodbye.

It was too risky. She didn't want him to think she couldn't be trusted. That would be the absolute worst thing. She turned and went back to the door. Then the handle squeaked.

"Hmmaa? What?"

She turned back and saw him looking in her direction and blinking the sleep from his eyes.

"Candace? What are you doing?" he asked.

"The FBI is going to put me in protective custody. I wanted to say goodbye—"

"What? Wait! You're leaving?" he said, sitting up quickly.

She moved to his side to calm him. "Just until they catch Daddy. I'll be back!"

He slowed his breathing. "Oh! Ah, good. I... I'd like that."

"Me too," she said with a smile, and his eyes were watching her mouth.

She wanted to kiss him so badly, but she was terrified she'd frighten him off.

Then he leaned in and brushed her lips with his, and she felt like she might melt. The first touch had been gentle and uncertain, but the second one took her breath away. He worshipped her lips with his, and she made a little needful sound.

He pulled back, and his eyes looked into hers. "You aren't just playing with me, are you?"

She could see the pain Crystal caused him, haunting his eyes.

"No! I want you to be my boyfriend! I want to be with you! I want to learn everything about you. I want to do everything with you," she gushed as her hand settled atop the bulge in the sheets. His breath gusted out in surprise as his eyes widened. "I won't hurt you! I would never—MMmph!"

Greg kissed her deeply, and she pressed herself against his hard muscles as tingles raced through her body. He wanted her, too!

There was a distinct knock on the door. Greg pulled back from the kiss so they could catch their breath. He looked into her beautiful blue eyes.

"You're my girlfriend. I'm your boyfriend. I will wait for you," he said, holding her gaze.

"It's all I've ever wanted," she said with a wide smile. "I should go. Your mom told me not to be too enthusiastic, but that's proving impossible."

Greg smiled with a shaky nod. "The feeling is mutual."

Candace quickly stood and walked to the door before she looked back. Greg was still tenting his sheets, and she bit her lip in desire. Dammit! She wanted that!

"Come back to me soon, Candace," he said, his voice a little rough with emotion.

That caught her by surprise, and she nodded, unable to speak from the tightness in her throat.

She stepped outside and saw Marion leaning against the opposite wall with a compassionate but knowing smile on her lips.

Candace nodded to the mother then they walked to the front door, where she gave her and George a quick hug. She stepped outside and followed Agent Jefferson to the SUV.

As she settled into the rear seat, she looked at the agent sitting up front. "They'd better find Daddy quick."

Chapter 13

For Greg, winter crept by at a snail's pace as he healed. He attended his classes remotely as his buddy Tim carried a tablet PC for him to participate over the webcam.

Spring arrived with the promise of warmer weather but instead delivered cool temps, rain, and cloudy days. He was healed enough to go back to school, though it was exhausting. He was grateful when the cast came off, though Tim teased him unmercifully about the cane he was using. It was pink and a present from Candace. He used it with a smile.

She was still somewhere out there in protective custody. There'd been no sign of Byron, and the legal case against him dragged through the court system so Candace couldn't come home. They had weekly video calls and were learning about each other, but instead of making them feel better, the calls just seemed to make their need for each other sharper.

Over the next two months, Greg gradually rebuilt his strength and endurance. When summer arrived, the sun reappeared, days became warmer, and Greg was healed well enough to return to his favorite activity, running. Shorter distances only, at first.

Tim joined him on these runs as graduation rapidly approached.

"Pete said Valerie's playing hard to get. He asked her to the prom, but she hasn't told him if she'll attend with him."

Greg snorted. "You asked Heather, of course."

"The day they announced the date," Tim said with a grin, and Greg returned the smile.

Tim gave him a curious look. "Any word from Candace?"

Greg frowned and shook his head. "I asked her during our last call, and she said she'd see what arrangements she could make... but I've heard nothing since."

Tim gave him a sly grin. "I heard Crystal doesn't have a date."

"Hell no, and fuck you for mentioning it," Greg said and picked up the pace.

Tim laughed, then struggled to keep up. "Hey! I was kidding!"

They ran without speaking for a while then Tim broke the silence.

"Heather feels really bad about her part of your breakup. She's sorry."

Greg glanced over and saw the awkward expression on his friend's face. He knew Heather probably asked him to say it, but he also knew Tim genuinely loved Heather and didn't want there to be bad blood between them. He sighed and nodded.

"Please tell Heather it's cool. I'm not mad at her," he said, then glanced at his buddy, "but I do expect to be asked to be best man at your wedding!"

Tim stumbled slightly in surprise, so Greg slowed to a walk and took a break. Tim was still concerned. "What—I haven't told anyone I was going to ask her!"

Greg snorted and grinned. "Oh please, it's written all over your faces. You two are so much in love. You're destined for wedding bells."

Tim watched Greg's smiling face and relaxed. "Does anyone else know?" he asked, obviously worried about Heather hearing it before he could propose.

"I doubt it. Most people in this town are oblivious to the people around them. I'm just a romantic at heart, so I recognized the signs."

"Mister Romance," Tim said with a grin.

"When are you going to ask her?" Greg responded.

Tim paused as he thought about that. "I-I was thinking after graduation. We planned on going camping and...." He stopped when he saw Greg's disapproving stare.

"Is there anything preventing you from doing it earlier?" Greg asked.

"Uh, no. I have the ring—"

"Don't you think Heather might enjoy being able to share this news with all her friends at Prom and before graduation when everyone heads off on their own journeys?" Greg asked.

Tim blinked as he realized Greg was right. Heather would enjoy that! "Shit, I didn't think of that! Hey, you are Mister Romance!"

Greg shrugged with a smug little smile on his face.

They turned and headed back.

After Tim returned from his thoughts about how he'd propose that evening, he noticed Greg wasn't smiling. He suddenly realized Greg's comment about people being oblivious to others also applied to him. He felt ashamed for not being aware of his buddy's pain.

"I really hope Candace can join us at Prom."

Greg was pulled from his thoughts and glanced at Tim in surprise. He saw the concern on his friend's face and smiled. "Thanks, Tim. So do I."

-=-

Everling's Banquet Hall was decorated beautifully for the evening's festivities. The graduating class wore beautiful party dresses and sharp suits, and the music was already inspiring some guests to venture onto the dancefloor.

For most attendees, this was the time to show off how good they looked and how ready they were for the future, regardless of how young they still were.

Many would be moving on to college, some in other states, so tonight was also a time to begin their goodbyes.

Tim and Heather had a crowd of their friends surrounding them. Heather glowed with joy as she showed off her lovely engagement ring. No one was surprised, but everyone was very pleased to see it actually happen.

The football team members were there, some looking a little awkward in their rented suits, but their dates made up for them by looking amazing in their dresses. One might even say against their backdrop of ill-fitting black suits, the ladies shone extra bright.

When Crystal Tafferty arrived, no one could deny she was a vision of beauty. Wrapped in a clingy green dress that shimmered in the spotlights, she drew eyes.

Unfortunately, not all of those who were watching were smiling. The Tafferty name had taken a beating since everyone was aware of Byron's embezzlement attempt. So many people would have lost their futures in that one move. Parents would have lost their jobs and pensions, and their kids might have seen their ability to attend college in jeopardy.

Crystal was tainted by association, even though she played no part in Byron's plans and had taken a beating at his hands.

Then, there was her treatment of Greg. The school population was too aware of that. It had become the stuff of legends. Much to Greg's embarrassment.

Tim spotted the redhead a short distance inside the entrance and saw how intimidated she was becoming with the scowls aimed her way. He sighed as he prepared to go to her rescue, then froze.

Standing in the entrance was a vision in pink. Tim heard Heather gasp softly as she spotted Candace Tafferty as well. The tall woman's dress clung to her curves and presented a daring amount of cleavage, though some was hidden by her soft locks of pink hair.

Tim smiled as Greg entered the hall to stand next to Candace. He put his arm around her back possessively, and she smiled shyly at him. They kissed sweetly, declaring their couplehood before the witnesses.

Greg was wearing a very stylish suit that seemed far more tailored than the ones his teammates were wearing. It fit his physique perfectly. Tim knew from their running that Greg's leg was fully healed, and he was well on his way to peak fitness once more.

The couple stepped further into the hall, and everyone watched in surprise as they stopped next to Crystal and smiled at her. When Greg offered his other elbow to her, some gasped in shock. Crystal seemed equally surprised but timidly accepted his arm. The three stopped to have their photo taken with Greg between the two women, then walked over to join Tim, Heather, and the others.

"Good evening, people!" Greg said with a wide smile and received mumbled responses from the stunned group. He pressed on. "I'd like to introduce you to my girlfriend, Candace."

The hellos were more energetic as she nodded and smiled happily but bashfully to them.

Greg turned his face to Crystal, who looked up at him with nervous blue eyes.

"Everyone knows my friend, Crystal. If I can move forward, I'm sure none of you will have any lingering issues?" Greg said as he looked into the eyes of his teammates and their dates. He looked back at Crystal and saw she was getting teary-eyed.

"Hey! No tears! This is Prom, so only smiles!" he said with a grin.

Crystal nodded shakily and gave him a smile. He nodded and turned back to Candace, who took his face in her hands and kissed him firmly. Greg felt his head spinning when she pulled back, so he grinned at her.

"I missed you too!" he said quietly.

This broke the ice with his friends, and they hooted in approval. They were blocking the corridor, so they moved into the main hall and looked for their tables. The decorations were beautiful, and the dancefloor looked inviting, so Greg looked forward to the evening.

-=-

When Candace arrived at Greg's home late in the afternoon, he was waiting by the door. He immediately pulled her into his arms and kissed her. That went on for a few eternities and when they pulled back, they were both grinning like fools. That's when he noticed she was carrying two garment bags. One was for her prom dress, and the other was a suit she brought for him.

She recalled how handsome he looked when he stepped into the living room wearing the suit. Marion was standing beside her and rushed forward to hug her son, who looked so grown up. She'd taken some pictures to send to George, who was on another business trip in Belgium.

Candace borrowed his room to put her dress on, and then Marion fussed over her and took pictures of them together. Candace could see Greg's need for her in his eyes, sending tingles through her.

They kissed Marion goodnight then jumped into the limo waiting outside. It took them to her house, where they picked up Crystal.

Candace was a little nervous about this part of her plan as Greg and Crystal had history. During their calls, Greg acknowledged that Crystal was important to her, so he could find it in his heart to forgive her, but a heartfelt apology would be welcome. Candace promised to ensure her little sister took responsibility for her actions and apologized properly. This was good enough for him.