Swim, Butterfly Ch. 18

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The picture fades. Candy yields empty wrappers and clouds roll in with a cold, dirty wind. I squeeze Jimmy's hand, "Can I give you a ride back?"

"No, I don't mind walking."

"I don't want to say bye." I watch his eyes.

"Then don't, and listen, I know parting sucks, so I have something for you," he unbuttons his coat, and from the inside pocket, he pulls out a small white box, "It's an engagement ring," he winks.

I purse my lips.Right.

He opens the box and raises a princess-length silver chain necklace with a delicate abalone butterfly pendant. The whirls of blues and greens and thin streaks of black in the shell remind me of water, and of Jimmy's eyes.

"It's beautiful," I murmur as he clasps it around my neck. The silver back of the butterfly feels cool on my throat, its surface smooth on my fingertips.

"Wear it whenever. It's safe to tell people you bought it for yourself," he leans forward, giving me a quick kiss on the side of the head where the kids can't see.

Now my butt feels glued to the bench. I sigh, "Shit."

"Shit? I was expecting thank you," Jimmy chuckles, "It's all right, though, I know," he whispers in my ear. We hold hands in his pocket again.

"No, it'snot all right." I wipe a tear away with my free hand, my other hand sweating in his.

He sighs, "Well then, why don't we go now, Caroline. Stretching it out will only make it worse."

I sniff and nod, rising slowly with achy knees. I guess the cold and clouds busted up June and Rudy's enthusiasm. They don't protest leaving.

We swing by the public restrooms before the journey home. I help June in the ladies' room, while Jimmy posts guard for Rudy outside the men's room. I let the kids wash their hands alone for two minutes, while Jim and I kiss goodbye.

Dry-eyed but headachy now, I tell the kids that 'Andrew' has to head back to his hotel. Rudy and Jimmy shake hands, smiling, and when June steps up for her turn, she throws her arms around Jimmy, "I wish you could come home with us!" Great, thanks June.

Jimmy looks at me wide-eyed, saying nothing, then he hugs her back and says, "It was nice to finally meet you. Be a good girl for your mother, goose!"

"Yeah." June replies, letting him go. I watch Jimmy until the stinging in my eyes starts again. One last wave and we part.

A swell of traffic prevents us from crossing the road immediately to the parking lot. Rudy mumbles,"Goose?" I ignore him, tipping my head back, sniffing and blinking and cursing the wind-born dirt. June seems oblivious to my discomfort and tugs my hand, the hand so recently clasped with Jimmy's, and asks, "Mom, do you think that man will haunt our house?"

12