Take Me, Tom Pt. 36-40

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I love it, too. Mom and dad bought it for me years ago, and it's so comfortable to carry," she said, smiling.

"You all set? You seem to have everything under control. Nervous?" I asked.

"Surprisingly, not at all. I'm looking forward to meeting him, everything else is a bonus!" she chuckled. "Let's go!" she giggled.

We headed downstairs, stopping to chat with Markus. He wished her well when he found out she had a meeting for a prospective job. We clambered into the car, and we took off for the V&A. Traffic was with us, luckily. Chrissie was still the amazed tourist, looking all over as I drove steadily. She changed the radio station for something a bit more sedate than Radio6. I told her I had booked special lunch for her, and she gushed.

"You didn't have to, Tom. Anywhere easy would have been fine. No doubt you're not going to tell me where?" she laughed.

"You're right there," I joked.

Chrissie smiled when she recognized the V&A. It was one of my favourite buildings and a museum. She broke out in a big smile. We walked, hand in hand, to the entrance.

"I wish I was nervous," she joked.

"I doubt that, Chrissie. You'll take a deep breath and do this. I just know, sweetheart."

"Thanks, Tom. This is ALL down to you, so thank you," she sighed.

"It's down to you, Chrissie."

We walked in and headed for the Information Desk. Chrissie was astounded by the large, hanging, green-glass sculpture over the desk. I was looking forward to taking her to a few of my favourite places.

"'Morning," I said to the lady. "Thomas Lawrence and Christine Madden for Matthew Garfield? Ms Madden has a ten o'clock with Matthew," I said, professionally.

The lady made a call, and then asked us to wait as he would be right down. I pointed out a few features of the building, trying to fill the few minutes, not knowing how fast Chrissie's heart was beating. I spotted Matthew as he walked across the large hall. We smiled at each other, which was a good start!

"Good morning, Matthew. Thank you so much for seeing us. It's very kind of you to take time out for us. I'd like to introduce Christine Madden. After shaking his hand, Christine, this is Matthew," I said.

"Christine. It's a pleasure to meet you. Tom has told me about you. I'm so glad you could come in today," Matthew said.

"It's a pleasure, Matthew. And please, it's Chrissie. And yes, thank you for your time. I can only imagine what you have pressing, so thank you."

"Please. Let's go this way, and we can get settled and have a chat," He said, in a very relaxed way. This was the same Matthew I had known for well over a year. Professional, but laid-back. Very few people took advantage of his style, some mistaking his outgoing persona for someone you could intimidate.

"So. You're engaged? Is that correct, Tom," he said, smiling.

"I am, Matthew. At last!" we laughed. "My three weeks in Chicago were productive! Chrissie and I have known each other for years, and finally reconnected when I was there. We both figured, why wait? Before we go too far, Matthew, I appreciate you taking the time to see us, but I would like to reiterate as if I have to, that this is personal. Whatever you decide, or not, this will not affect our business dealings, okay? I know it can be a touchy subject, but I needed to get that cleared up. I do hope you don't take offence," I said.

"Tom, I'd expect nothing less from you. I realized this, but it's nice of you to say. So, Chrissie. First time to the V&A?"

"It is, Matthew, and, if you don't mind me saying, it's a fabulous building! I'm looking forward to a guided tour by Tom later," she smiled.

"You'll be in good hands. So, let's go to one of the boardrooms where we can talk. Is that okay with you?" he asked.

We headed down nondescript hallways 'til we entered an open area with glass walls, computers, and a plethora of staff. Matthew opened a door, and invited us in.

"Tea, coffee, Chrissie, Tom?" he offered.

We both politely declined.

"So, Tom has told me you're a curator at the Art Institute? Tell me about that, okay?" and

Chrissie began her well-thought-out presentation. Chrissie gave him a sparse rundown of her background, responsibilities and vision for the role. When Chrissie delved into her leather case, I felt it was time for me to leave and leave them to it.

"Matthew, Chrissie. I'm going to excuse myself now if that's all right? I'd prefer that you talk between yourselves. I'll just be the spare wheel here," I laughed.

"Chrissie, just message me later? You'll know where I'll be," I said.

"In the photography wing?" she smiled.

"See? She knows me so well," I smiled, and shook Matthews's hand, saying we would catch up. I had a feeling they would get on just fine. I took that familiar walk I usually do, heading for the sculptures, then the Middle East Collection, and then the Plaster Cast Court. I always see something different when I visit here. After an hour or so, I grabbed a drink and sat outside in the garden, placed in the middle of the buildings. I loved it here. I made my way to the photography wing, and thought I would pootle for an hour or so there. It was such a change to relax during a workday and take in this place.

It had to be two hours, and finally, Matthew and Chrissie walked through the door. They both chuckled.

"Well, Chrissie was correct," he chuckled. "I'm going to leave you two to browse around at your leisure. Chrissie, it's been a real pleasure. Thank you so much. You'll be hearing from me, and we'll go over things then. And Tom, thank you for bringing Chrissie to us. I think we've had a good meeting," he said. "Enjoy the rest of your day, and we'll see each other soon."

And he left. Chrissie sat down, and smiled.

"Tom...I...I think he wants me!" she almost shrieked. "He's going to talk with whomever he needs to talk to, but he believes there's a place for me here, even with our timeframe being what it is. It was fabulous. He loved my CV, what I've been doing, and what I could bring to this place. It's funny because there seems to be this shift with museums. At the Institute, not so much, but after the short talk with Alison, and now with Matthew, we are so tuned in to the same visions. I'm... I'm stunned. Can we take a walk? I...I need to digest this," she asked.

"Sure. C'mon. Do you want to walk or go for lunch?" I asked.

"Let's walk through here, okay? I need to absorb all that just happened," she said, looking somewhat shocked.

We walked for an hour or so, taking her through several of the rooms, and telling her what I liked about them. She began to loosen up, and caught her breath.

"You sure you don't want to go to a hotel?" I laughed.

"God, Tom. That's a grand idea but, no. Now don't get all petulant on me!" she giggled. "Let's go to lunch, okay," she smiled.

We returned to the car, and made our way to lunch, Chrissie excited and animated the

whole way. It took us a while, but we finally saw the distinctive building. We parked up and grabbed a lift to the thirty-fifth floor. We were seated at a window table, overlooking the Thames and the city.

'

Tom! The views are...breathtaking!" she exclaimed.

"They're not bad, are they?" I chuckled. "I've never been here, but have heard the menu is wonderful. So. Wine?" I asked.

"God, yes, please!" she quipped. "Probably a few after that!"

I ordered two wines, deciding to forego the single malt for now. The menu was extensive, so it took us a while. We held hands whilst perusing the lunch offerings. I finally decided on the Skye scallops to start and cod for my main. Chrissie opted for the sea bass starter and the venison, which surprised me, but it was a great choice.

"Okay," I said. "What happened?" I asked, ready for her barrage.

"It'll all come back to me, but he likes what I've achieved and what I'm looking for. They're in a transition period now and feel I would be a good fit. Currently, employers usually do not say that at an interview. I never would. Anyway, he looked through ALL of my papers, and I could tell he was impressed. We talked, so it wasn't an interview in the traditional sense. I told him about my concept of museums in the twenty-first century, where they are, and where they could be. I talked with him about my love of paper conservation, and he said they could help with that! Do you believe it, Tom? He's an intuitive guy. I picked that up from him. He's very astute and clued up. He took me into the exhibition rooms, and showed me what they were working on. I met a few people, but I doubt they'd remember me, but anyway, I loved it. There may be a future for me here, darling. How exciting is that? He talked about, with my background, giving me a team to work with. And...are you ready? He said I would have carte blanche in hiring an assistant!" she almost shrieked.

"NO!" I exclaimed. "You're... you're kidding me?" I said, completely taken aback by this.

"No, Tom. That's what he said. He will run this by a committee and give me a call, or email, next week. It may mean me coming back for another interview, but...we could do that?" she asked. "I'm still in shock, Tom. Never did I expect such a response!"

"So. Shall I assume that if they want you here physically for an interview, the Art Institute will be missing two people for a few days?" I asked, chuckling.

Chrissie grabbed my hand, and squeezed. "I dare not even think that far ahead, darling. Unusual for me, yes, but..." she smiled.

Our food arrived, so Chrissie calmed down...a bit. We took in the beautiful views, with Chrissie taking her phone out and 'clicking' away at the sights and our food...before I could take a single bite! Just another downside of technology!

The food was fabulous, as expected. We both declined dessert, but paid and went to take in the SkyDome observation deck. We grabbed an overpriced cocktail, but hey, when would we ever be back? We took a seat, and Chrissie began tapping away on her

phone, sending the photos to all and sundry. We walked around the three storeys, held

hands, or wrapped our arms around each other tightly. I looked out the window for a hotel. We stayed up there for nearly two hours, just relaxing in each other's company and enjoying the views. I suggested we head back to Liberty's to get Janet's scarf, and look for something for mom and dad. We would be busy next week, so needed to push things along.

We drove back to Liberty's, and left Chrissie to choose the appropriate gifts. She decided on two lovely scarves, one for each, but was stuck on dads. Not being the trendiest guy, we were puzzled. I saw a Harris Tweed hip flask for his golf outings. Chrissie gave me a funny look and said, "We'll see..." so I knew this was a non-runner! Not giving up, I showed her a nicer pewter flask, throw in an excellent single malt, and he'd be pleased. Chrissie relented. Whew!

We decided to head back to the flat and figure it out this evening. Chrissie wanted to print out an other copy of her paperwork for Alison, so it was a good time to head back. I had a call from Ben on my in-car, hands-free, asking if we'd like to meet him and some friends in Camden later. They were heading for a venue we all hung out at it. I turned to Chrissie, and she nodded enthusiastically. I told him emphatically, 'Yes!' and said we'd catch up later. I hung up, and Chrissie looked at me.

"Fancy a drink and some dancing tonight? That was Ben asking if we'd like to meet him later. It's a nice club, very relaxed, and good music. You could meet a few of my workmates before Sunday. What do you think?" I asked.

"THAT sounds ideal, Tom!" she smiled. "I'd love to!"

"Fabulous."

We arrived home soon and landed on the sofa in no time. Chrissie laid her head on my shoulder, and sighed.

"Every day brings another surprise here, Tom. I...I can't believe this," she sighed.

"Every day is not like this, Chrissie," I smiled. "We're on holiday, okay? But, there's no reason our lives cannot be filled like this," I told her.

"I'll do whatever I can to make yours this way, Tom," she decided.

"I know we both will, Chrissie," I nodded. "Now! We're going dancin' tonight! Before that, I'm going to sort a few things out. You can just relax for a bit, or read? You'll need time to sort your papers out, too, but you'll get that sorted. You have an awful lot to think about. Who knows, you may get both places vying for you!" I smiled.

"Wouldn't that be awkward?" she sighed.

I sorted out the paperwork, made a few calls, checked my bank balance ( Yes, Ben's money was in there!), and prepared to leave next Saturday. Markus had sourced me two good-sized trunks, so I began to pack a few things away.

The day slowly slipped away from us. We went out for a short walk and returned refreshed for the evening. We picked a bit of the food we bought at Borough Market, and then had a leisurely shower.

I dressed in an old pair of jeans, and a similarly-old corduroy shirt. The place we were going to had a very loose dress code. Chrissie opted for a loose and flowing summer dress, one I hadn't seen before. It had a fantastic cut, accentuating her figure. She looked fabulous. She had undone the first three buttons, but she still looked chaste. It was more than suitable for a night out in Camden Town!We went down to the car and headed towards Camden. It took a while to get there, but Chrissie recognized a few of the streets, and knew we were near the British Museum. She had a great sense of direction! At least we'd never be lost!

"By the way," I said. "When I was heading back to Chicago, I told everyone I was staying with my sister, okay? But, I told them her name was Mary, your middle name. I still think we need to be careful in our conversations, okay? They probably won't remember too much about Mary, so I think we'll be fine, but just a heads up," I explained.

"It'll be fine, Tom. I've already thought about how to handle too many awkward questions. We'll be fine, darling."

I found a safe place to park, knowing Ben would be asking about 'his' car. As we walked to the venue, hand in hand, Chrissie enjoyed a very different atmosphere to Central London. This was what some people call a trendy area, and I guess it was. It was sprinkled with quirky, discerning independent shops. There was a vibrant music scene here, and the pub culture was alive and well! It was a wonderful place to recharge your batteries and balance out our lives in finance. They had a great market here, open most days of the week.

I found The Bar quickly, having spent more than a few debauched evenings here. I opened the door for Chrissie, and the mood changed. It was filled with talking, laughing, music, dancing and plenty of drinking. Sedate is not the word one would use for this place! I saw Ben and waved to him, grabbing Chrissie's hand and leading her over.

"Ben! How ya doin'? I asked, smiles all around. "Here, I'd like you to meet Chrissie."

"Chrissie. This is Ben, my best friend here!" I said.

Ben had his hand out to shake hers, but she pushed it away and hugged him. "It's so good to meet you, Ben, finally. Tom has told me SO much about you! I'm hoping you can fill in a few blanks tonight?" she laughed.

Ben looked at me and smiled. "I'm sure I can do that, Chrissie. It's great to meet you finally," he enthused. "Drink?"

Chrissie asked for a glass of wine, and I had an ale, knowing I'd be driving later. He pointed out the table where his wife, Elaine, was. She rose when she saw me, hugged me tightly, then turned to Chrissie, and embraced her in a hug. I did the introductions, and Ben came over with our drinks.

"Is he taking care of my car?" was the first thing Ben asked Chrissie. We all laughed.

"He's a good driver, so I'd have to say, 'Yes,'" she giggled.

There was banter, laughter, catching up and conspiring to do tonight. Chrissie and Elaine seemed to hit it off immediately, which warmed my heart. If, or when, we returned, they'd be a part of our lives. Ben asked Chrissie to dance, and she readily accepted. I took

Elaine's hand, and we headed out behind them.

"He's going to miss you, Tom, and it's all he's been talking about. Oh, and thank you for the car! He was like a little boy at Christmas when he came home and told me! It was such a nice gesture since you could have gotten so much more. Thank you," she gushed. I did wonder if he told her exactly what he paid for it. We switched partners, danced, laughed and just let loose. We all needed this. Ben and I wandered off, leaving Chrissie and Elaine to get acquainted.

"I like her, Tom. She's...really slumming it, isn't she?" he laughed.

"Don't I know it!"

More and more of the people from work showed up, introductions all around again. I barely saw Chrissie, as she was corralled by everyone, wanting to know her and check her out. I could tell she had held her own. I walked up behind her, slipped my arm around her shoulder, and listened to her holding court. I heard a few stories about me, so I had to pull her back against me, everyone laughing.

I caught up with Chrissie after chatting with a few people. She was talking with Ben and Elaine. I sat next to her, and she slid her arm through mine, looked at me, and pecked my lips. We talked about all and nothing. It was so relaxed with them all. I was going to miss this easiness, the rapport I had built up. I wished I wasn't leaving.

Chrissie pulled out her phone, and sent the kids the video message we had done earlier, knowing we wouldn't be able to talk in a crowded, loud pub. She then FaceTimed Emily, her face coming up on the small screen.

"Em!" she shrieked. "I'm here in a pub with Tom and his friends. "Ben, Elaine, say hi to our friend, Emily!" she asked, embarrassing no one but me. They all said 'hi' and asked about her. Chrissie put the screen on me, so I could say 'hi' and ask a few cursory questions. Chrissie spent the next ten minutes telling Ben and Elaine all about Emily and how they worked together. My hand was on her thigh, gently rubbing the dress's material. Chrissie's hand surreptitiously grasped mine, and she squeezed it. I loved how infectious her enthusiasm was. We all chatted with her until we couldn't hear each other, so we said our 'goodbyes'. Elaine asked when we would get married, throwing us both a huge curveball.

"We haven't gotten that far yet. All we do know is that our futures are together. Rings and ceremonies will wait," I said cryptically.

"Yes, Elaine. I AM still waiting for a ring!" she faux huffed, but mine to everyone's amusement. "You don't know a good jeweler, do you?" she asked, ramping up my pressure.

"I certainly do, Chrissie. Give me your number, and I'll send it along!" she chuckled, clearly in cahoots with Chrissie. I looked at Ben, but he only smiled. We talked about our moving back in six months, and Ben knew the company's dynamics. He reiterated what Jeremy had said, and there'd always be a place for me here. I couldn't be happier.

Jeremy and his wife popped in, more to meet Chrissie than see me. Chrissie was enchanting with everyone. I could see how she drew people into her circle, entertaining and interested in what they were doing.

I grabbed Chrissie's hand and went out to the dance floor. God, I love to watch her dance. Her body is so lithe smooth when she moves and pirouettes around the floor. She would shimmy, then twirl, her dress slowly floating up, showing her bare, toned legs. More than a few eyes, guys and girls, were on her. She had this seductive way of sidling up to me, turning around, her tight body seductively rubbing mine. We couldn't be happier.

We had a chat with everyone at some point or another, and everyone, it seemed, was entranced and accepting of Chrissie. We finally said goodbye to Ben and Elaine around one. Chrissie was still slightly sober!

I dragged her to the car, her arms all over me as she pulled me into shop doorways, and we kissed. My hands would creep under her dress at every doorstep. She giggled her way down Camden Road. [Someone would be having a lie in tomorrow, I thought.] She wasn't drunk, but exceptionally merry, I'd say. She loved Ben and Elaine, and got on with everyone. She made some friends tonight, something she would need if this whole thing came to fruition.

123456...9