Talisman of Hate

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You have your own bathroom and the boys have theirs between their rooms," Brigitte indicated with a swing of her arm. "Here, just opposite the boys' room, there is a kitchen with a pantry and whatever you may need to turn out magic in the kitchen. Whatever happens in the rest of the house, this is your own little home."

"Pinching myself will only hurt. Right?" Christine said in a voice that almost failed.

Julie gripped her shoulder and squeezed. "Love the house Christine. It has a soul."

Christine nodded and walked to the bathroom where she stood looking at an old cast iron bath standing on black feet. "My Grandmother had a bath like that. I always thought it belonged to people who had very little. Today I realise that it is an impossible wish come true."

Brigitte laughed. "I don't like them. They go cold too quickly and that is why there is a very modern shower just around the corner at the window. It is simply heaven."

Julie quietly stepped out of the room and quickly went to the car. With the shopping bag containing the little family's worldly possessions, she went up the steps and stopped when she saw a car's headlights coming down the road. For a moment she frowned and then brightened up. She ran down the steps and stood waiting as the car came to a stop.

"Mister Bristow, I presume," she laughed as he opened the door and came upright.

"I found a note on the door. What's going on?"

Julie giggled. "Armageddon is upon us. Listen to this. The Cliffendales as well as the Turlingtons are in the house. Christine and the boys as well."

"Sounds good but I'm a little scared to ask. What happened here?"

"I am not sure myself Peter. Maybe sometime tonight it will hit me. I may scream. I may laugh. I may have an anxiety attack."

"Okay, tell me."

"You're on Rushing Streams."

"Yes, I know. Been here many times before. Harry and I spent a number of weekends here."

"You are speaking to the new owner."

"I see."

Julie frowned at him. "You're not even surprised or ...."

"Fact Miss Julie. "Harry and I spoke about it. Mr Cliffendale told Harry he considered handing the farm to you. I guess you know the Peggy and your dad...."

"Christine is going to move in here."

"Oh good! The boys will love it!"

Julie shook her head. "Does nothing surprise you?"

"How's Harry?"

"He's fine."

"Have you spoken to him yet?"

Julie motioned up the steps. "Let's go inside. I need to give this to Christine."

"You're trying to escape here Miss Julie," Peter chuckled as they walked towards the house. "Something happened."

"Maybe."

"You're blushing Julie," Peter said grinning and leaned over to look in her face, seeing the twinkle. "What happened?"

"I kissed him tonight."

"Fuck me!" Peter muttered.

"Blanche won't like it," Julie giggled and came to a stop as Peter took her by her shoulder and pulled.

"What....happened.....here?"

"We talked."

"You talked. And you kissed him."

"Well yes although it is not quite as simple as that."

Peter shook his head. "I remember a day when Harry heard you sing. He got a black eye for that one. Now you two talk a bit and kiss. I shudder to think what lies ahead."

"Don't run away with it Peter. My anger at Harry still bubbles just below the surface and I feel it waiting to jump up and destroy what is happening."

"Another waterfall incident?"

Julie eyed him and then smiled. "Never again Peter. I feel myself getting angry with him sometimes when we speak but what happened at the waterfall was off the scale. I never want to go there again."

"It scared hell out of Harry."

"It scared me as well," Julie sighed, shaking the shopping bag in her hand. "It could have gone very wrong."

Peter chuckled and pulled her in for a hug. "It kick started your healing. Both of you allowed some light into the dark recesses of your souls and look at you now. Sunshine!"

"Go forth little soldier," Julie said with a soft giggle. "You have no idea how much that meant to me Peter."

"Found your dragon?"

"Yes. And I think I like him. Maybe I'll keep him. Maybe I can train him. Maybe...."

After greeting the women in the kitchen, Peter took the two boys and went outside in search of the men at the fire. Christine soon followed him outside to settle her fears that the boys may become too rowdy. Charlotte gave Julie an amused smile and Brigitte threw a hand towel at her.

"What?"

Brigitte giggled. "What indeed. May we know what happened at the hospital?"

Both women giggled as Julie blushed and turned her back to them, only to have them giggling louder.

Julie turned to Brigitte. "Aunty Brig. For many years now I was convinced that I may never willingly be able to put my foot in this house again. Harry made sure of that. Yesterday and today the two of us had long talks. We still dance around real issues but we are getting there." She looked at Charlotte. "I can thank God that you kept me from knowing about Rushing Streams. If I had known before today I fear I would have told Uncle Henry where to shove his farm. You have no idea of the hurt and anger that made me hate Harry and his family."

She smiled at Charlotte. "I kissed him tonight Mommy. It was all that was needed to seal the hate away. There is still a lot of hurt and anger, I know, but most of it evaporated when I made an effort to understand why he did what he did. You said I must find a way to forgive and aunty Brig said I must tunnel to the core of the mountain between us. Harry and I both know what is at the core. We will bring it to the light when we are sure."

"That's beautiful Julie," Brigitte sighed and Julie nodded.

"We will find our way Aunty Brig. It will not be easy and it will not happen overnight but we will get there. Wherever that may be. In the meantime we have other pressing things."

"And what is that?"

She jumped up to sit on the large table. "Christine needs help. Instead of giving money or whatever, let's rather give her a chance to get up. Harry and I each had a cross to bear. It made us struggle and kept us apart. If we can lift Christine's cross, she may find a way to get up again and if giving her a safe and warm place to stay with the boys makes her cross that tiny bit lighter, then I will be happy."

Charlotte tapped on the table. "Brigitte and I will see to it that Christine is cared for in the interim. You just go and study and leave all of this to us."

***

Due to classes and other unavoidable activities it took a month before Peter and Julie turned into the road to the farmhouse again with Anthea almost bouncing on her toes in the back of the car. As a total city girl she had never been on a farm and to her this was a big adventure. Peter had a quick coffee and left for the Cliffendale's with a promise to come and pick them up for a visit to the hospital later on.

Once the girls had unpacked, Charlotte called them together in the kitchen. "It was David's birthday yesterday and we've been invited to dinner at Christine's so, if you want to get there before dark to show Anthea around, I suggest the two of you get ready to leave. Take my car. Daddy and I will be there soon."

"Peter is going to pick us up for a visit to Harry Mom. We didn't know."

"Harry will keep," Charlotte said with a soft laugh. "He knows about it and said it would be okay as long as you visit him tomorrow."

Julie shrugged and turned to her room, missing the wink from Charlotte to Anthea.

Soon afterwards they were on their way to Rushing Streams and as they travelled Julie gave Anthea a rundown of the area, showing her the waterfalls tumbling from the mountains, feeding the streams and giving rise to the farm's name.

"This is all yours?" Anthea asked somewhat awestruck.

"Well, yes," Julie said in a sigh. "I still wake up at night and wonder if it really is true but it is starting to sink in."

"It is so beautiful!"

"Yes, it is. Wait until you see the old house. The French may call it a Chateau and we may call it a mansion or even a castle because of its size."

"Is it really as big as you said?"

Julie indicated to their right. "See that roof sticking out above the trees? That is the house. Two more corners in the road and you will see. Hold your breath."

Julie had planned to park at the back of the house but decided to entertain Anthea by going to the bottom and approach from the stairways but even before they got there the view through the trees had Anthea gasping "Really Julie?"

"You understand why I fainted when Uncle Henry told me?"

"I think I would have died," Anthea laughed and sat with her mouth almost hanging open, watching the house come into full view just before they dipped to below the stairs.

As they got out of the car Julie immediately saw that the pool at the bottom had been thoroughly cleaned, the fountains repaired and spraying arcs of crystal clear water to gurgle away under the little foot bridge towards the river far down from there feeding small tree lined ponds along the way.

As they reached the top of the steps Anthea once again came to a stop. "This is not possible Julie. Just exactly, how many rooms?"

Julie giggled. "The original owner and builder may have had plans for her entire family to come visit or stay. It may have happened but we have no way of knowing. One day when I can find someone to translate the original diaries, we may know. But to answer your question. In total, the bottom part has five complete units of at least two bedrooms with bathrooms and a kitchen as well as reading rooms. Some have three bedrooms. The top, because it lacks the domestic service area has eight complete units as well as four bedrooms without bathrooms of their own.

"Wait until you see the stairway. Harry and I used to slide down it for hours on end and had our fair share of crashes at the bottom." She giggled. "And also, our fair share of hidings."

Anthea looked at Julie with searching eyes. "Was this before....?"

Julie nodded. "Before my hero became Harry the Hun, the animal, the...."

The main door opened and a figure stood watching them approach. It took long seconds before Julie realised that it was Harry. A strange joy filled her and with a jump of delight she started running only to falter as she got close. With the swathe of bandages removed from his head she saw for the first time what the fire had done to his head. The skin was lumpy and red with various scabs still visible all over. What hit her the hardest was what remained of his ears. Small black stumps of irregular shape were all where his ears used to be.

In front of him she stood looking at him with her throat constricted and tears running down her cheeks. She tried to speak but could only croak a strangled guttural "I.....Har...."

He stood looking at her with a faint smile and then pulled her into an embrace. As she stepped closer he softly put his hands on her shoulders, leaned forward and whispered into her ear. "Outside I am ugly but inside I am a lot better Julie."

Julie sucked a deep breath and then broke down. Crying loudly she put her arms around him and felt him wince as he hissed in pain. Dejectedly she dropped her arms and then lifted them again to curl her hands around his writs at her shoulders. With shaking hands she squeezed her pain while doing her best to stop crying and almost made it when she felt arms encircle her waist and looked down into four tear filled eyes as the boys hugged her in their attempt at comfort. It simply fuelled a renewed outburst of crying.

When at last she got herself together she bent down and hugged the two boys until they grunted and feeble smiles replaced the tearful concern on their young faces.

"Why are you sad miss Julie?" little Jimmy asked with his bottom lip still quivering and Julie pulled him to her again.

"Sometimes we cry when we are very happy as well Jimmy," she tried to explain one of life's strange facts. "I thought Harry was still in hospital so I was very happy to see him here."

His eyes lit up and a happy grin replaced the confusion on his face before he turned to Anthea who had stood rooted to the spot with her own tears of sympathy staining her cheeks, sticking out his small hand in greeting. While they introduced themselves to Anthea, Harry held out his hand to Julie.

"May I?"

"You may," Julie grinned and put her hand into his as they stepped into the big hall, hearing the excited chatter of the two boys, each vying for Anthea's attention.

"I missed you," Harry said softly and Julie frowned.

"It was only a month Harry."

Harry nodded. "A very long month Julie but I was talking about the many years before."

She gripped his hand harder and nodded but said nothing as they followed Christine's voice to the main kitchen and as they stepped inside, Julie tried but failed to let her surprise show. Christine was a picture of radiant beauty. Light but perfectly applied make-up highlighted her brilliant green eyes and rather full mouth while her blonde hair, shining with health, flowed over her shoulders, highlighted against the dark blue dress.

As Christine saw her she dropped the saucepan she was holding and with a shriek of joy ran to Julie. Julie tried to return the embrace but had only one hand free. It seemed that Harry was never going to let her go again and she grinned at Christine who winked at her.

"What does it look like?" Christine asked almost breathlessly.

Julie looked around her. "I'm not sure....?"

Christine grabbed at Julie's hand and playfully smacked at Harry's hand. "Let her go for a minute Harry. I want to show her what we've done so far."

Back in the main hall Christine pointed to the floor. "What do you think?"

Minutes ago Julie had walked over the floor and never noticed because all her attention was centred on Harry. Now she saw the wood polished to a glimmer that made her glance down at a dim reflection of herself. "It is incredible!" she said in awe as Christine excitedly led her into the west wing. As they stepped into the first bedroom Julie could not help gasping. The old window frames had been stripped of all the paint it had on and now glowed in its original dark wood, oiled and polished to a lustre with the brass hinges and catches glowing in the late afternoon sun. The floor had been stripped of whatever had gone onto it in all the years and at one corner she could see the start of it being sanded down, obviously on its way to look like the floor in the great hall. The walls also had been stripped of all paint and cleaned to bare cement. In places she could see where holes and cracks had been filled. Almost in reverence she walked to the bathroom and stood there looking at a repeat of what was behind her.

"Who did this?" she asked, softly running her hand over the glowing wood of the door frame.

Christine giggled happily. "David is a man possessed Julie. He always loved hard work but now he simply cannot sit for a moment longer than absolutely necessary. I sometimes...."

"David is here?"

Christine sobered. "Mister Cliffendale went to the farm where he worked and brought him home."

"Took Dad two days to stop threatening murder," Harry grumbled next to her. "Cannot remember seeing him so angry in my life."

"But why?"

"I'll tell you but you have to promise not to ask Dad when they arrive here. I have listened to him using bad language for long enough."

"That bad?"

Julie heard Christine draw a sobbing breath and turned to her in surprise as Harry spoke. "Because of his speech impediment he was considered a functional idiot. He slept in a tarpaulin under a trailer. If the owners had food left they sometimes gave it to him. If not he went hungry or had to eat what he could find."

"Could find? Such as?"

"He refuses to talk about it Julie," Christine said in a small voice. "It changed him a lot. Even now he refuses to eat anything until the boys and I have had our fill. Once I cooked too much and there was food wasted. He didn't say anything but I know him well enough to know he was very angry about it."

"Where is he now?"

"Helping your dad cutting hay," Harry chuckled. "Never saw a man who could do so much in such a short time. Makes me ashamed."

Julie took a last look around and turned to leave with Christine leading the way, speaking over her shoulder. "The boys cleaned the pond. They got sunburnt but were having too much fun and no matter what I said, they simply kept at it. It took them two days to catch all the creatures that lived there and place them in containers. Not all survived but they did well."

"The fountains look like when we were small," Julie said softly.

"That was a job!" Christine laughed as she hurried back to the kitchen. "It took David and about six of the labourers that could be spared from the two farms a whole week to clean the canal up at the top and lay new pipes from the holding dam to the house. I hope you can remember how sweet the water is."

"Not really," Julie chuckled and stopped in the great hall letting Christine go back to the kitchen. From outside in the gathering dusk came the excited chatter and giggles from the boys having fun with Anthea. She took Harry's hand and pulled at him to follow her to the gramophone. "Remember Nicodemus?"

"He who hears and sees all," Harry growled. "The terror of two lively kids."

"Think you can still slide down the banister?"

Harry laughed and shook his head. "Right now, no. If I have to crash at the bottom like in those days I'll be back in hospital pretty fast."

He got a squeeze on his hand. "When were you released"

"I'm on parole," Harry laughed. "Monday I have to be back for a small skin graft but by Wednesday I may be an outpatient most of the time."

"When will you be back at Uni?"

Harry shrugged. "I'll drop this year and go back next year. A while ago I mentioned to my doctor that I consider going back to Uni and he nearly had a fit."

"I can imagine. Sorry about grabbing you when I arrived."

"It hurt like hell but it was worth it."

"Worth it?"

"It has been many years since you hugged me Julie."

Julie nodded and made for the main door. "Let's get those kids inside before dark. They probably need to have a bath and get dressed."

Anthea took the boys for their bath and Harry got busy closing windows and curtains while Julie went to offer her help in the kitchen. She was still busy with a salad when the Cliffendales arrived and shortly after, her parents with David on their heels.

"Where is Peter?" Harry asked after the whole greeting thing had been done and Henry shook his head. "He seems to be on a mission."

Peter arrived almost half an hour later carrying a bag with something inside. He put it down at the entrance and came inside wearing a grin as wide as the door. Julie noticed something like a leaf sticking out of his pocket and glanced at him, swinging her eyes in a question at it but he simply made a quick move across his lips to silence her.

Once David was bathed and dressed they sat down to dinner with Christine showing that her prowess in a kitchen was perfection. It was also noted that Harry and Julie sat close together.

After dinner Peter asked for attention and stood up. "We all know how the famous Peggy ginger died shortly before Harry burned. Harry and I discovered a shrivelled root of this ginger back in our flat and he nursed it, hoping to save it. I remember an evening when I arrived at Lot's End to find the Cliffendales returning from the garden after planting the root. Mr Cliffendale said, and I quote; "If that thing grows I swear I'll forgive Johnny Turlington for being the living irritation he is. I'll even tell him I'm sorry for not being a good neighbour."

He grinned at the red faced Henry. "You've done that already sir. The thing I appreciate the most is that Harry and Julie found a way around the damage between them. She hated and loathed him. From what I have been told by both of them at different times I can only say that Harry deserved what he got from her." He grinned at Harry. "She beat her anger out of you my friend but like the man you are, you faced it head on. Somehow, somewhere something had to give and I think that was the day. The fire may have been the catalyst that brought both families together again and led to Harry and Julie picking up the affectionate friendship they shared as kids. I remember Harry wishing for a miracle to repair the damage he had done and also admitting to the fact that there are only a limited number of these things available. Of his own doing the miracle happened. Harry saved two boys and their dog from certain death. I think mere seconds stood between him and death while performing an act of incredible bravery."