The Assassin's Bride Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Bellie444
Bellie444
1,863 Followers

The man's shrill scream abruptly ended with a brutal crack. Not exhausted in the slightest, Gavin stood perfectly still, keenly listening for an approach. Satisfied no one was immediately on his tail, he sprinted for top deck.

****

With a strong grip on Carina's wrist, Carlos led her to his suite.

"What are you going to do?" Carina asked fearfully.

"Kill him," Carlos said shortly, tightening his hold when she tried to pull back. "He is more trouble than he is worth. We will find out what we can, then put a bullet in him and throw him overboard."

"Kill him?" Carina exclaimed. "You just warned him to pick your side!"

"That was before I saw the look on his face when I touched your leg."

Carina's heart clenched. "Carlos, wait! He saved me! You can't-!"

"I am beginning to wonder about your feelings toward this stranger," he interrupted.

Before Carina could reply, she was pushed into the suite with such force she ended up sprawled across the carpet. Rolling onto her back, she blinked up at Carlos staring from the open doorway.


"W-Where are you going?" she gulped, fighting to gather her scattered wits.

"I would much rather stay here," Carlos softly mused, his eyes raking her body. "But I have questions for Gavin. When I come back, things will be right again. I think in future I will need to keep a closer eye on you, Carina. Your eyes turned black more than once today, looking at him."

Carlos started as a man's scream faintly carried down the corridor and was quickly silenced. "Those idiots knew better than to start without me!" he seethed.

"No! Carlos, wait!" Carina cried, but the door slammed and was locked by the time she reached it.

***

Gavin ran down the outside walkway; no one would hear his steps above the steady rush of ocean water.

The door to the weapon's hold was ajar, and Gavin softy flexed his knuckles, observing a flickering shadow through the crack of the door. Gavin quietly pushed it open, stepped inside and grasped the nape of the man peering into a crate.

Before Gavin could break his neck, the man twisted, and a sharp punch landed across his ribs. Pain burst through Gavin's mid-section and he reacted by slamming both fists to the man's temples. After staggering back, the opponent quickly recovered and braced to spar in a familiar technique. Gavin's eyes widened.

"You!"

"Gavin, goddamnit!" the man hissed, and Gavin's sight adjusted to make out Michael's angry face. "What the fuck are you doing here?"

"Who let you out?" Gavin demanded.

"No one!" Michael snapped, shoving Gavin's chest to give himself more space. Tall as he was, Gavin was taller, and Michael always disliked the comparison.

"What are you doing?"

Michael threw up his hands. "Ditching the weapons! Isn't that why you're here?"

Gavin glowered at him, and Michael looked exasperated.

"I'll dump the guns, and I'll take the blame for it," he said strategically. "I'll take out as many as I can, but it'll be up to you to handle Carlos unless I can get to him first."

"We'll have to tweak that plan. I'm a fugitive," Gavin muttered. "But we have three less men to worry about."

"And I snuffed two. That should leave about three, not including civilians. The service staff panicked and barricaded themselves in the kitchen. They have no loyalty to the gang."

Michael sighed harshly at the end of his summary, drumming his fingers along the crate's edge. "Is she fucking Carlos?"

Gavin shook his head. "This is the worst time for gossip. We have to move fast."

"Like old times."

"I'll find Carina, you take Carlos. Everyone else goes."

"What, you get the hostage, and I'm left with the head of the snake?"

"It's your snake. You started this mess."

Michael didn't answer.

"Ethan, if you so much as cross her path, she will scream the boat down," Gavin dryly reasoned. "Stop thinking with your dick."

"Fine. Fuck you." Gathering as much ammunition as he could carry, Michael brushed by him and was gone.

****

Carina furiously struggled to open the door. The idea that Gavin could be murdered while she was helplessly locked up was torture. There had to be something she could do. She would make Carlos listen, somehow. Even if it meant sinking back into her role as a gang-leader's sex-puppet, she just couldn't let Gavin die like this.

Heels discarded, with one foot against the wall she twisted and pulled at the handle. Then she heard sound on the other side and staggered back just in time as the door burst open.

"Carina!" Carlos breathed, kicking the door shut and tugging her into his arms. "Are you hurt?"

"You're holding me too tight," she uttered, straining to distance herself.

"I'm sorry." Carlos finally released her and began to pace the room. "The men...Gavin made short work of them. I was a fool to wait for him to show his colours, knowing his skills..."

"What about the others?" Carina faltered, and Carlos' face turned grim.

"It gets worse. I found Pierre and Don dead..." he grated; tears glittered in his eyes. "With that bastard on the loose I had to check you were alright. This is where he would go."

Both Carina's fists were pressed to her mouth, her mind whirling. Gavin was alive. Michael was free.

He's coming for you.

Carlos expected her horrified silence. "They must be working together. But how Gavin could free him in such a short time...?"

They both jumped as a scream sounded from directly above them, fading with a telling splash.

"They can't fight like Michael," Carlos ground out, raking both hands through his hair. "They'll be slaughtered by those two. I could help them." Looking stricken, Carlos rested his head against the door with a deep exhale. "But if I leave, you won't be safe. It's them, or you." He turned to face her. "I choose you, Carina."

"No," Carina pleaded. "Don't choose me. I'm not in danger. You have to get off the boat."

"Why?" he questioned. "How can you be so confident they won't hurt you?"

Carina stared with huge eyes, silently begging him to understand. Shocked realisation dawned across Carlos' face.

"You knew this would happen?" he said blankly, feeling like he'd been sucker-punched in the gut.

"No!" she vehemently denied. "It's not what you think-"

"Then tell me what to think."

Carina stumbled back as he advanced on her. "Michael would never let me go. When Gavin came..."

"You fucked Gavin to get away from him?" Carlos said flatly, struggling to process the situation. "Is that why they were fighting?"

"No! They were already hostile before I... There was no catch with Gavin. He really did save me, Carlos."

Carlos' features relaxed. "You don't want me to hurt him because he saved you. I can understand that, Carina. But-"

"I don't want to be a kept woman anymore, Carlos!" she blurted a random confession. "I don't want-!"

"You wouldn't last a week in the real world!" Carlos exploded. "You have no idea what monstrosities men are capable of!"

"I have some idea," Carina snorted, and Carlos cast his eyes to the ceiling.

"That is nothing-! Jesus, Carina, I refuse to discuss this now!" he said savagely, handing over his weapon. "Stay here and hide. Lock the door after me."

Carina dropped the gun and desperately seized his shirt. "Please, Carlos, just run. It's not too late to save yourself. They won't hurt me-!"

Carina's face whipped to the side as Carlos sharply slapped her.

"I never thought I would raise my hand to you, Carina," he snarled. "But to suggest I flee like a rat... Never insult me like that again."

With a palm to her burning cheek, Carina collapsed in a sobbing heap as the door shut behind Carlos. Several minutes passed and she remained on the floor, the discarded gun within reach.

Finally realising the vulnerability of her position, Carina miserably picked herself up. Catching sight of her reflection in the wall mirror, she hesitated, staring at the bizarre combination of her fancy jumpsuit, lopsided ponytail, bare feet and miserable, tear-stained face. With the gun in her hand she looked like a character from a bad romance novel.

"What a fucking mess," she said bitterly, inspecting the firearm in her hands.

The doorhandle rattled, then the entire frame violently jolted as someone kicked against it.

"Please be Gavin," Carina whimpered, stepping back and raising the gun.

The door yielded to pressure and banged open.

"Fuck!" Carina swore as Michael stepped in; parts of his shirt soaked in blood that clearly wasn't his own. "Get the fuck out!" she barked, too rattled by his presence to be squeamish about the blood.

Michael smiled affectionately. "Don't be a sore loser, sweetheart." Unfazed by the gun pointed at his face, he felt a familiar ache in his chest as he looked her over. Then his eyes fixed on the reddened side of Carina's face. "Carlos struck you?"

Carina laughed harshly at his anger. "You've done worse."

"But I would never beat you," he swiftly defended himself, cynically raising his eyebrows as Carina levelled the gun at him. "What are you going to do? Shoot me?"

"If you don't leave, yes."

"Go on, then, shoot," Michael challenged, his eyes intent on Carina's mouth. "Because I am not leaving without you."

Though Carina held the weapon steady, her emotions were plain for the most obtuse person to read; fear and reluctance.

"You can't do it, can you?" Michael taunted, stepping closer.

Carina threateningly brandished the gun. "Stay away from me! I'll shoot you!"

"I'm waiting."

Carina hesitated; her eyes bitter with frustration that she didn't even have the guts to shoot him in the leg. Why the fuck couldn't she kill him? She should want to kill him, more than anyone.

"I can see it in your eyes," he smiled. "Even after everything, you still have feelings for me. Part of you will always love me."

"Fuck the fuck right off!" Carina shouted, with a disgusted shake as though to dispel his words from her proximity.

Michael laughed at her appalled reaction. "Enough games, Carina. Shoot me or give me the gun."

Before she could answer, Michael moved swiftly, knocking the gun from her grasp. Seizing her wrist before she could retreat, he hauled her against him, shuddering with a strange relief as she stood flush against his chest.

"I need you," he muttered, his body pulsing with excitement.

"I...I couldn't shoot you, Michael," Carina confessed, sounding defeated. Relaxing against his chest, she smoothed her free hand up his body to cup his cheek. "I can't be with Carlos. He's tyrannical."

"That doesn't surprise me," Michael huskily chuckled, turning his face to sensually kiss her palm.

"I'm so tired of running," Carina sighed.

"Then stop running from me, sweetheart."

When his hold on her other wrist relaxed, Carina tentatively searched between them. By the time Michael suspected anything, it was too late; Carina's hand brutally clenched around his balls.

"FUCK!" he shouted.

Carina yelped when Michael brutally tugged her hair, breaking her grip on his crotch. Before she was pushed a safe distance, Carina managed a clumsy kick between Michael's legs.

"Fuck!" he retched, almost keeling over.

Carina forgot about the gun and fled. Busy looking over her shoulder to see if he was on her tail, she collided with Gavin. They staggered together, but Gavin managed to hold her upright.

"Tell me you're not running from Ethan!" he panted. His eyes searched her face, the palm-mark on her cheek, her crumpled jumpsuit and bare feet. Then he gaped at the blood on her clothes.

"It's not mine, or Michael's, and I kicked him where he deserved," Carina explained, her eyes fearful even if her words were stout.

"Where's Carlos?"

"He left to help the men."

Gavin impatiently seized her arm. "There's nothing left for him to help."

"Please don't kill him, Gavin. Promise me."

Gavin made an incredulous sound. "I can't promise that."

"Please-"

Gavin briskly walked her down the passage way. "I'll throw him overboard. That's a good compromise."

Carina's reply was silenced under Gavin's hand, and he backed into a storeroom, holding her tightly against his chest.

"Quiet," he whispered against her temple.

Carina reached to close the door, but Gavin's hand was on her wrist.

"If the door is closed, he's more likely to check," he breathed. "Just don't move."

Footsteps approached, and Carina closed her eyes, fearing her heart might explode in her chest. A man's shadow passed by, but the footsteps didn't grow distant. An eerie silence followed.

"Uh oh," Gavin muttered, releasing Carina's mouth and slowly edging her aside.

Michael opened the door, looking unimpressed. "Really, Gavin?"

Before he could say anything else, he glanced to the right and ducked as a gunshot rang out.

Neither Gavin nor Carina budged as Michael scrambled to safety, Carlos blindly running after him, frantically clicking a pistol clearly out of bullets.

"That was convenient," Gavin murmured, dragging Carina into the open and running the opposite direction.

They emerged on top deck; the area well-lit with a scattering of fading shadows as the sun began to rise. Sounds of a brutal scuffle echoed along the ship, and a man shouted out in pain.

"That was Ethan," Gavin said grimly, and pointed to a small dark space under the stairs. "Hide there."

"No," Carina refused, pulling against his hold on her arm. "Please, Gavin, I have to go with you, and I..."

"And you?" he sharply prompted.

"And I...I'm scared to be alone." And I want to make sure you don't kill Carlos.

"Hm." Gavin looked very unconvinced but didn't argue.

They cautiously made their way to the other side. Michael lay immobile on the floor, seemingly knocked out. Carlos stood a few metres away, fishing through his pocket. Reloading the gun, he quickly turned as Gavin and Carina stepped into view.

"You just loaded three bullets," Gavin said. "I'm willing to bet the chamber is otherwise empty." He tilted his head at the rather decorated gun in Carlos' hand. "And that looks like an antique."

"My goodness, Gavin, you really are remarkable," Carlos snapped with a mix of admiration and exasperation. He extended his free hand to Carina, who stood in front of Gavin. "Come, Carina."

"I'm afraid this is about to get complicated," Gavin said with an apologetic cringe.

Carlos snorted. "Carina, come here," he ordered, looking baffled when she didn't move.

"She's with us, Carlos," Gavin quietly revealed. Knowing the upcoming blow in store for Carlos, his tone was severe but sympathetic, like a police officer informing a parent their child had just died in an accident.

The scornful laugh died in Carlos' throat when he met Carina's eyes. She looked terrified, and guilty.

"No." Carlos frowned, waiting for her to reassure him. But she didn't. "No. No!" he insisted, clawing a hand though his hair. "Not you! Not you, Carina, you couldn't... You...?"

Then the weight of her betrayal set in, and Carlos seized up, feeling as though concrete was being pumped through his chest. He drew a rattling breath. "You colluded with them!"

Carlos pointed the pistol at Carina, who stood wretchedly idle and made no move to deny his accusation or run from the weapon. She felt she deserved whatever came next.

Staring at Carina's remorseful face, Carlos paused, horrified that after everything, he still cared about her. Knowing full well that he should want to slice the girl into tiny pieces and feed her to wildlife, the urge to protect Carina remained as strong as the first moment he realised he was in love with her. Even now, he couldn't kill her.

The worst part was that he wanted their old existence back. If he could turn back time, he would do it. He would bury Michael alive and things would continue as they were. He would love Carina from afar, watch her with his brother, take care of her like he always did. He would buy her gifts to make her smile, inevitably become her brother-in-law and be Uncle to her children. They would have, strangely, grown old together. He loved her enough to be content with that.

But now Carlos realised his love was unconditional and unshakable. He was a weak, pitiable fool, and he could do nothing to change it. The truth came with an inconsolable torment that Carlos knew he wouldn't survive.

"How long have you played us for fools?" he shouted, keeping the gun on her, he pointed to Michael's sprawled figure. "With him! Were you fucking Michael, while Eduardo lived? Is that why you were so close?"

Careful not to move suddenly, Gavin smoothly inserted himself between Carina and the gun.

Carlos blindly aimed, then noticed Michael stirring back to consciousness. Gavin rushed Carlos as he fired; the bullet missed Michael's neck by inches.

A tense half-minute ticked by as Gavin and Carlos strained for control of the gun. Gavin managed to turn it from his face just in time as it went off again. Michael unsteadily staggered to his feet to assist Gavin.

Seeing movement from the corner of his eye, and aware he fought a losing battle with Gavin, Carlos suddenly changed tack. Taking them all by surprise, he stopped resisting and pulled the opposite way.

"Carlos, don't!" Carina shrieked.

"GOD DAMN YOU, CARINA!" Carlos screamed, pulling the trigger before Michael could get a grip on his wrists.

The top of Carlo's head exploded, and Gavin fell back, palms pressed to his ears.

A horrified silence followed. Then Carina started screaming. Looking exhausted, Gavin sat up to wipe sweat and blood splatter from his face, and even Michael kept his distance as Carina fell to her knees and seized Carlos' shoulders.

Sobbing hysterically, she shook the dead man as a pool of red quickly grew in a red circle beneath his shattered head like a deathly aura.

"I'm sorry, Carlos! I'm so sorry! Forgive me! Forgive me!" she desperately whispered, over and over, wishing he could somehow hear her, that his body might absorb her remorse and understand this was never what she wanted.

Tears blinded Carina as she trembled uncontrollably. Warm blood coated her fingertips when she cupped his face. Whatever pain, whatever terrible event she endured that she believed surpassed her utmost limit, it always managed to get worse.

Carlos was probably the one man who truly loved her. He fiercely protected her when she was with Eduardo. He spoiled her with gifts even though he was just a brother-figure. All he wanted was to keep her safe. And then she hurt him so badly, he couldn't live with it. He died by his own hand, because of her. It was so much worse than Eduardo's murder.

Carina heaved and clapped a hand over her mouth, smearing Carlos' blood across her cheek. Then Gavin was there, his arm curled across her front to ease her back against his chest.

"Breathe, Carina," he instructed, rubbing his other hand soothingly up and down her back, feeling her body racked with spasms. "Take a deep breath, or you'll choke."

"H-H-H-He...He...I...I'm going to be sick," she managed, her voice thick with tears. "I c-c-can't b-breathe!"

"You can. You're breathing right now. You can do it. I know it feels impossible, but... Ethan?" Gavin glared at Michael, who had drawn closer and stood silently watching Carina, his expression unreadable.

"If you really love her..." Gavin warned, his eyes burning when Michael finally looked at him. 'She's going into shock' he mouthed above Carina's head.

"Ceasefire," Michael said quietly, and walked away.

Gavin let out a breath of relief, glad he didn't have to immediately spar. But he knew the threat wasn't over.

Unable to stop herself glancing toward Carlos' body, Carina shuddered and gagged. "I didn't want this! I don't want this! I don't want this!" she cried shrilly.

Bellie444
Bellie444
1,863 Followers