The Assassin's Bride Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Gavin cupped her cheek and pressed their foreheads together. "Don't look. Breathe."

"I...I can't!" Carina's eyes were wide with hysteria, her nails painfully dug into Gavin's shoulders. "I can't! He's dead! Is he really dead? I can't! I can't!"

Writhing against Gavin, she choked for air, her breathing turned ragged as endless tears poured down her cheeks. Her face, jawline, neck seemed coated in them. Without warning, a spurt of vomit landed across Gavin's shoulder, but he didn't flinch.

"It's over. Close your eyes. Breathe. Close your eyes, Carina," he instructed, holding her in a tight hug.

Still retching, Carina obeyed, and Gavin directed her to lean against his clean shoulder. Carina's eyelids felt saturated, like they floated in water. Gavin supported her in an unwavering embrace, and after violently coughing, Carina's panic eventually faded to misery as the warmth of Gavin's bulk soothed her nerves.

Even as tired calmness washed over her, the grief of what happened was sharp in her mind, the tears continued from the corners of her closed eyes. She was grateful for the strong body keeping her upright. Gavin was warm, the natural scent of his skin was unfamiliar but pleasant. She wanted to disappear in it. She felt like sleeping, forgetting everything; taking a long nap and never waking up.

The nausea passed but Carina's stomach was still clenched in a knot, and she couldn't regain control of her emotions enough to breathe steadily. With a wretched sigh she buried her face in Gavin's shoulder as he gently rocked her.

"I'm going to carry you, ok?" he murmured against her temple, and felt her lightly nod. "Don't open your eyes." Adjusting position, he stood with Carina against his chest, then bent to scoop her legs.

A strange numbness overcame Carina, her head weakly lolled against his Gavin's chest as she dimly wondered how she could ever move on from this.

Gavin carried Carina to her suite and carefully dismantled her jumpsuit. While Carina stood under the shower, he removed his tarnished shirt and returned to dry her off and dress her in an ivory silk robe.

Gavin's bare chest turned out to be everything Carina fantasised about, but she was too upset to process it. Showing no reaction to Gavin's shirtless state, she dolefully finished the glass of water he guided her to drink. Though she didn't speak, her swollen red eyes never stopped leaking tears as she robotically complied with Gavin's direction.

If Gavin was aroused by her brief nudity, he showed no sign, nor did he attempt to draw her from silence. Though mute, Carina was receptive to his presence and gently pawed at his bicep in a vulnerable gesture that asked him to stay. Gavin was tempted to remain and comfort her, but the hour was too critical. This was the calm before the storm.

Once Carina was tucked into bed, he locked her in and went to face Michael.

He found Michael on top deck, sitting with his knees drawn to his chest and watching the glow of sun peep across the ocean horizon. His dark hair was tousled in all directions, the healing bruise on his face lightly bled from taking a rough second hit. Carlos' body was neatly wrapped in what appeared to be a brown and beige-patterned tablecloth, with one end noticeably crimson-saturated.

"What a night," Michael murmured, not taking his eyes from the flickering sea as Gavin sat beside him. "How is she?"

"A mess, and I don't blame her. Some company you've been keeping," Gavin said sourly.

"It paid well."

"Fucking complicated, espionage. And ugly."

Michael tiredly shrugged. "The money was good."

"You took more than money, Ethan," Gavin said with clear criticism.

Michael glanced Gavin's way, eyeing his bare chest with mild contempt. "You want to do this now?"

"Details first. Any vengeful Spaniards to worry about in the aftermath?"

Michael shook his head. "With both brothers dead, there's only Samuel to pick up the pieces and he won't bother. He once said personal vendettas are the worst investment; you lose more than what you're avenging."

"It certainly ended that way for Carlos," Gavin murmured, stretching his legs out.

"If it means anything, I never intended to kill him," Michael sighed. "And I've had plenty of chances."

Gavin turned his cold stare to the ocean. "It doesn't mean anything. Tell me about the staff."

After some consideration, Michael and Gavin agreed to let the domestic workers live. They were civilians, with limited knowledge of Carlos' business and likely unaware of the true purpose of the trip to begin with. The remaining evidence would shine more light on Carlos' operation than stray passengers.

"Alright, then." Michael got to his feet, still watching the ocean. "I'm going to make coffee. I've gone too long without caffeine."

"The kitchen is under siege, remember?"

Michael pulled a face. "I know this boat. I'd only go to the main cabin for a fix."

"Carlos' room? I'll come with you," Gavin replied, standing tall and ignoring Michael's cynical glare.

"You're gonna supervise me?"

"Until you strike," Gavin smiled. "Lead the way."

In Carlos' suite, Gavin leaned against the wall with his arms crossed, watching Michael get his morning buzz.

"Fuck, this is good," Michael grinned, inhaling the familiar bean scent before downing the remaining liquid.

"It's the simple things," Gavin said, still looking severe. "I'm finding your attitude pretty callous, Ethan."

"You didn't spend enough time downstairs," Michael sneered, his eyes narrowing at the neatly patched cut on Gavin's cheek before resting on his wide chest. "Can you put a fucking shirt on? There's no one to impress here."

"Maybe you should change. You're covered in blood," Gavin snapped back.

"You're right." Michael sheepishly inspected his soiled shirt. "Taking out two guys with your ankles stuck together isn't the prettiest task."

"What are we going to do about Carina?" Gavin inquired.

Michael set the mug down with an angry clack. "You interfered, we got in a fix, and now we're out of it. I'll call it even."

Gavin arched an eyebrow. "So, when is this going to get ugly?"

"Now."

Gavin ducked and the mug shattered against the wall above his head. By the time he straightened, Michael was on him like a spider, securing Gavin's weak point.

"Cheap shot!" Gavin groaned, fighting to shift Michael's forearm from his throat.

Gavin threw himself back and Michael grunted with pain as he forcefully smacked the wall. Despite the agony thudding up his spine, Michael's grip did not waver.

"Sorry, Gav," he heaved, tightening his chokehold as Gavin's strength dwindled. "We both know I wouldn't stand a chance in an honourable fight."

"And I knew you wouldn't play fair," Gavin faintly mumbled, before collapsing.

"Wha-?" Michael tried to get his footing, then staggered and fell against the wall. "Oh, fuck, no!" he breathed dizzily, his mind swimming with furious self-chastisement.

He was so preoccupied with plotting a blindside, he never suspected that Gavin, the clever, strait-laced bastard, would have the foresight to lay a trap. Congratulating himself that he knew Gavin enough to presume an unfair ambush would give him advantage, Michael neglected to consider that Gavin knew him well enough to anticipate he'd play dirty.

Gavin knew he was a coffee addict. Gavin would have scoped out the vessel during his stay and found a multitude of drugs. He had a perfect opportunity to set it up after taking Carina below deck. Michael should have been alerted when Gavin said, 'lead the way', already knowing the exact location of Carlos' suite.

Michael angrily aimed a swerving kick at Gavin's unconscious figure but missed the large target and ended up on his back.

"You motherfu..." he slurred, his limbs relaxing despite the seething rage boiling inside him.

Gavin wasn't drugged, he would come to his senses first.

Michael wanted to scream, but he couldn't. A strangled sound that would have been an impressive roar gurgled up his throat.

He was going to lose Carina, again.