All Comments on 'The Bedside Lamp'

by FreddieTheCamel

Sort by:
  • 73 Comments
Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 2 years ago

Almost every time I read a Friday the camera story I know I'm going to be in for a spectacular story that's well written with wonderful dialog a well-thought-out reasoned plot and Is a story that flows very nicely..

.

The ending of the story where the husband's discuss the fact that women are constantly rethinking their decision is literally quite true for almost every woman that I know.

.

However the real danger here is that the wife actually holy idea that that a husband has to earn sex but by doing something nice for her as opposed to wanting to have sex with her husband.

.

Been there done that got the T-shirt

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

OMG. I’m a woman. And I can’t STAND Becky. It seems to me she will be cheating on Bryan in five-ten years. Is that where you are going with this? Because this is the loving Wives section. Bryan sure does not seem like the cuckold type. But Becky? Yeah, I wouldn’t go near her with a twenty-foot pole during menopause! She’s fucking exhausting!

I admit that I haven‘t read the whole series. But geez, I don’t see how I can, now!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Not REALLY a loving wives tale, since there was no fooling around. If you've never been married then you don't get it. So I'm not sure you're in the right category, but my answer to your question would be a resounding YES! Sometimes a lamp could be worth a divorce.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Pretty sure I've read this before.

WhackdoodleWhackdoodlealmost 2 years ago

Remarkable story.

I was expecting adultery, humiliation or worse and was instead given a story that explored love, friendship and the sacrifices we make in a marriage.

Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Fantastic piece of writing and will resonate with the reader at so many levels.

I’m a firm believer that a relationship is made good because of our individual flaws not despite it. I always think of a jigsaw puzzle. We all have areas that we are either deficient in or have a surplus of. The trick is to match them up to another piece to create a strong bond. If we were all straight perfectly square pieces then there is no cohesion.

More of Becky and Brian please!

TwentysevenTwentysevenalmost 2 years ago

Listing the 6 stories in chronological order was a massive help in piecing together the emotional development of this couple. Without it, I did not even realise there was a sequence. It would be great if future stories about these two begin with a reminder of where they fit in chronologically. No offence, but we're not all sitting here on the edge of our seats, waiting for your next instalment, with instant recall of all that's gone before.

mordbrandmordbrandalmost 2 years ago

A singularly unlikable, bi polar bitch. If this is how women born in the millennial and gen Z generations act, I am not surprised fewer people are getting married. I'm also really fucking glad I am from and married a gen x woman. She is very opinionated as well, but she isn't a shallow nut job who throws a tantrum over anyone challenging her.

This relationship is doomed once Tara graduates, I guaran-fucking-tee it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

well, i kept waiting for the axe to fall... but it didn't! An interesting change if the usual "LW" events. a pleasant surprise. Liked it a lot!

SunnyU2SunnyU2almost 2 years ago

Bryan picks the wrong battles

servant111servant111almost 2 years ago

Story defines the term “pussy whipped.” I know cause that’s me. About to “celebrate” on ur 50th Learned the hard way decades ago that wives are women and most women are so utterly opposite of their husbands that one would live in a state of continual argument. It is simply not worth the aggravation. Most men have their man cave and let the women have the rest. It’s not love…it’s simple survival.

Your story captures this reality well

5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I gave this a 5 wanted to give more its excellent, so real.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Great story. Seeing thee development of their marriage over the series is quite different from most stories on Lit. Where does the Audrey series fall in the chronology? I think they're Becky and Bryan stories too?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Author, why did you take the time to create such a pathetic tale that painted the husband as a sorry spineless wimp? And what was the reason for creating a husband of her friend who really had absolutely nothing to add to this sorry tale? Or, her friend who apparently is the image of her?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Mordbrand when it comes to making a home that's how women are, they only care about their way and will throw a tantrum if they don't get their way

demanderdemanderalmost 2 years ago

I liked this a lot. It was, though, a tough one to read, due to built up frustration. D

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 2 years ago

From the description I thought there WAS going to be a divorce, and the way David was sucking up to the women, I thought that he was going to get her into bed.

GarySmith69GarySmith69almost 2 years ago

Very good. I must be the luckiest man alive. My wife hates shopping, we go to a shop with a list of pre agreed items. We buy those items, occasionally deviate from certain items then we leave. But I can understand the wife's thinking but also agree with thd husband. Of course I would have my opinion on certain items but generally we agree on our purchases. Anyway thanks for writing.

YouamiYouamialmost 2 years ago

I loved the change in emotional direction that your stories have taken. They are probably more accurate representations of the relations between partners than just the thrusting and cumming that many of the usual LW stories that dominate this genre

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I was married to a woman like this over two decades ago. One I snapped and left. Best decision I ever made. If I had stayed I would be unhappy, depressed and possibly dead. Thank god I met someone else who is understanding and wonderful.

GRG20463GRG20463almost 2 years ago

My oldest brother (67) is married to a childish woman who to this day still puts on the tears to get her own way. She is so pretentious that they have a visitors book in the entry foyer of their home...

amygdalaamygdalaalmost 2 years ago

I love nuance of this author’s writing. I think I read some of the other in this series but not all. But now I’ll go back and re-read with a more critical eye.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Alright guys, everyone in unison - that's my marriage your talking about! I'm still waiting for the ability to contribute to a decision. Well written, a good dose of sarcasm - its the only way to get through the day, isn't it!

imhaplessimhaplessalmost 2 years ago

Should have picked the snake lamp (ha, ha). Nice story one that every married man can find some truth in.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

"Becky, what is the point of asking my opinion when you clearly have no intention of taking it into account?'"

Women like Becky, when they ask a man for his opinion they aren't actually asking for his opinion..they're asking for validation and confirmation of THEIR opinion.

"I don't think you men appreciate how important these things are for us! Marriage is a team effort, you know!'"

As, coach always said...There's no "I" in TEAM.

Becky suffers from princess syndrome

A woman who has an unhealthy princess mentality thinks of the world as hers, and acts as though she expects it to serve and pamper her. She’s entitled and demanding. She' s manipulative. She’s vain. She’s judgmental. She’s unforgiving. She’s clingy. She’s easily angered. When a woman has an unhealthy princess mentality she often makes mountains out of anthills. She’s materialistic. She’s arrogant. A high level of self-confidence is both healthy and attractive, but a complete lack of humility can get tiring quickly. The ability to admit fault is important, but it’s a trait often lacking in women with unhealthy princess syndrome.

Princesses want to have the last say and be in charge so they can boss everyone around—which is understandable if you know what you want—but they don’t. A princess doesn’t take criticism well and never considers advice to be constructive. Ever. They’ll usually avoid admitting they’re wrong at all costs because they’re really sensitive. Every hit will be taken as a personal attack. Even if you cave and give them every single thing they’ve ever wanted, appeasing every whim and fancy will never be enough to satisfy a princess. They’ll always want more—the Princess lifestyle is ongoing and their expectations will only correlate with the amount of times you give in. So mathematically speaking, the more you pacify a spoilt girl with princess syndrome, the more acceptable her behavior becomes in her eyes. In short, if you put up with a “princess” for long enough, you’re royally screwed.

Bryan's screwed. He loves a women with princess syndrome who will never be satisfied with him no matter how much he gives in to her. The sad thing is that eventually, she come to have no respect from him because he gives in to her every whim.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Very funny and sad at the same time. Why can't relatonshps be easier? Anyhow I enjoyed it.

Doesn't your story Audrey also belong to ths list of stores about Becky and Bryan? I suppose it comes at the end!

LenardSpencerLenardSpenceralmost 2 years ago

A very inciteful view of a common aspect of marriage. Spot on. Many thanks. Cheers.

Frank66Frank66almost 2 years ago

I guess it's true what they say- if women didn't have vaginas, no one would want to live with them....

SKHPSKHPalmost 2 years ago

A very realistic and well-done portrait of a typical marriage - like mine and many others. Congratulations, Freddie! Undisputed 5⭐ for the whole series.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

After reading this extremely artificial story, I read a couple of others in this series. It' clear that the couple didn't know much about each other before they got married. That lack of knowing each other before marriage is probably the primary cause of divorce in general. There is really nothing entertaining in stories about the lives of stupid people.

Just one of the many artificial things in this story. The protagonists were living on their own as adults in apartments. Unless the apartments were pre-furnished, presumably they would have had their own furnishings to bring to their house. Why would they have to borrow things from others to furnish their house, unless their house was many times bigger than their combined apartments. They would still have the bedside lamps they had in their apartments anyway. 1* for this whole series.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Love how Freddie gets to the core of the man / woman spousal relationship.

My "Husband Rules"

If I like it and she likes it, we like it.

If I like it and she doesn't like it, I don't like it all that much.

If she likes it and I don't like it, I'll be fine with it.

(Caveat being if "it" is something solely in my purview.)

The key is to let her know that you have decided to go along with her in this instance rather than to let her think you will automatically by default do / give her what she wants.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Without reservation, FtC is in my top 5 currently contributing authors on this site. This tale is Exhibit 9.

.

Married 49 years myself, reading tne exchanges between Becky and Bryan regarding how they arrive at family decisions was simply eerie — so accurate. And the so.union to the shopping dance? EXACTLY what we figured out decades ago….she scouts…I opine….she selects from the subset I’m OK with. It has been a rare day indeed when I ever insisted on something that she didn’t approve of…..and even at that, I NEVER insist based on aesthetics….only function (like, for example, what version “smart” TV to get 😎)

.

Giving myself a homework assignment now to re-read the series of B&B tales in Camel’s chronological order.

.

5 *****

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraalmost 2 years ago

Freddy... them Greek an' Roman philosophers and Enlightenment thankers din't have nuttin' on you! 5/5!!!

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcalmost 2 years ago

Classic work - Great verbalization of what most men go through in a marriage. Your Bryan does lack a bit of sensitivity and, more importantly, reluctance to evaluate himself and make fundamental changes to his approach to life. I could say the same for Becky, but we all know women never do that, tight? LOL! 5* for this one.

FireFox59FireFox59almost 2 years ago

I really don't see a marriage like this lasting. I can't imagine a couple talking to each other the way they do. My wife of 40 years and I have never spoke to each other like these two did in the store. Whether it was in public or private. Hardly what I consider a loving couple and relationship. Marriage is a give and take thing. Becky is all about Becky and to hell with what Bryan thinks or wants. As always well written and enjoyable to read.

HikingThruHikingThrualmost 2 years ago

Excellent. On a different plane than most stories in LW. It's easy to imagine issues such as this making one open to seduction or looking outside the marriage, if not for the communication and problem-solving that occurred here. Thus, without any sex or cheating, this story is at the core of everything that could be written about in LW.

MattblackUKMattblackUKalmost 2 years ago

This reminds me of our trips to Ikea! But as I'm colour blind it's very sensible to let my wife make the decisions. And she is qualified as an interior designer, so there is that!

A 5* story of a loving relationship. A good story.

bluemoves01bluemoves01almost 2 years ago

Lots of truth in this. I went through a lot of those things but my marriage ended in divorce after thirty eight years.

Mac_LapuMac_Lapualmost 2 years ago

This is so realistic.

Yes, I did go through this when my wife and I shop for something.

All I do is just to shut my mouth and only open it to say "yes, that is nice".

But one good thing about my wife, anything gadget or electronic she abides by my choice.

/

Thanks FreddietheCamel for this snippet of LW realism.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

It was well written enough to hold my attention but nothing much actually happened. Kind of frustrating.

someoneothersomeoneotheralmost 2 years ago

This was a 5*. I am not sure that I like either wife or husband, but story is insightful and makes one think, which is best possible result of any reading.

King_MacAulayKing_MacAulayalmost 2 years ago

So I like the story, but now I'm confused about the story Audrey. I thought that was with Bryan and Becky? If it is though, Love, Honor, and Obey doesn't really fit within that. So where does that story fit in with these two?

ibuguseribuguseralmost 2 years ago

This is gold. Not really LW material, but it could've been written for me!

24 years and we have the same arguments all the time except after 3 minutes she laughs and drops the subject.

24 years and the only picture hanging on the wall is the one her mother gave us and we both dislike...

Still, if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

We'll, maybe a few small things.

jocko_smithjocko_smithalmost 2 years ago

Holy cow was the wife worthless. And the story was as well. Wife is a two-year-old throwing a temper tantrum when she gets told "no." Why didn't you have her lying on the ground kicking and screaming "I WANT! I WANT! I WANT!"

As for the husband, he's a fucking coward and an enabler. WTF is he going to do when she says "I WANT SEX WITH OTHER GUYS! I WANT IT! I WANT IT!" Fuck all Veruca's and the pussy guys who enable them.

That's a few minutes of my life utterly wasted that I'll never get back.

gordo12gordo12almost 2 years ago

I have to say that as a male, this resonates on so many levels with me. Except it took her THREE YEARS to find a set of living room and bedroom lamps.

Last week it was a search for something to put up in a high display area in the house we just bought. She made one choice, took it back, and then dragged me off shopping for the second run. Which somehow devolved into a search for slippers that consumed 3 stores at the end of which she bought a pair of flipflops. I've long since reached the point of telling her I don't care anymore,, buy what you want. Good story. 5*

AbctoyAbctoyalmost 2 years ago

Good Loving Wife story. A rare read.

johntcookseyjohntcookseyalmost 2 years ago

Another installment of my favorite Literotica couple. This is good meaty perceptive character analysis and interaction. I must say, that comment about Becky second guessing her choices, even Bryan, is a bit ominous. How’d she react if you introduced a snake (a la David) into their proverbial garden? Great series - I hope you have more in store for B n’ B. Many thanks.

johntcookseyjohntcookseyalmost 2 years ago

By the way, thanks for the list. Helps to read each story in context with the others.

secretsalsecretsalalmost 2 years ago

Very skilled writer, though after going through all the stories, I have to find it funny how these two are so open with each other, yet have so much drama. I guess that's what keeps it engaging, but it would seem that filters do have their use.

BeBopper99BeBopper99almost 2 years ago

4* so Becky is a bipolar. OCD, passive-aggressive, narcissitic, confirmation biased nutcase? Drop her and live!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Really?

Rather swallow a lead pill....

enderlocke77enderlocke77almost 2 years ago

prefect example of mental illness u nailed it

enderlocke77enderlocke77almost 2 years ago

'Hey, it's not a good thing; it's not a bad thing. It's just... who you are.'

if it hurts someone its bad but im guess characters like that wouldnt know that. just wanted to point it out just in case ppl actually believe that lol

iammweaseliammweaselalmost 2 years ago

Well you made her as is typical here, really way over the top and far, far worse than the husband. Its rather tedious TBH. And of course the husband swallows his pride and does the "I love you, I love you" routine. Clearly we're aiming for the more easily impressed misogynistic idiots here, and there are more than a few. because no one in this was even remotely close to realistic, except to the ones who think men are always the ones who remain calm and must apologize because women are always eotionally charged. ROFLMFAO. We get it, you, like most, really cant hide how you view women. So its an Epic fail Charlie.

Mordband you are the textbook reader who makes me question the intelligence of many readers here. Do you not get that the writers here right exaggerated versions of women? If you think these writers write anything even remotely representative of real women you need more fucking help than the cucks do. Im surprised anyone would marry you regardless of gen, if you are this easily befuddled by a fictional character. And you might be why fewer women are getting married.

SMDH.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyalmost 2 years ago

The only time I ever went shopping with my late wife was when she had already see the purchase and wanted me to look at it. Truthfully, she should hveryave bought it when she saw it. She had better taste in almost everything than me.

5

AgroundagainAgroundagainalmost 2 years ago

Freddie - that was brilliant! You've gained another follower.

eljjeljjalmost 2 years ago
Or

People can actually click on your name and see what stories you've written and read them.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

This is pretty much what goes on in every marriage. Guy either lets it go or just does what he wants anyway.

Well written story but reads non erotic rather than lw.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

To Think Two Selfish People Using Each Other Brings Balance To A Relationship Is Like Thinking That Two Business Partners Embezzling Money From Each Other Makes Things Balanced.

If you put 10 pounds of shit on both trays of a balance scale, you will achieve balance. But what have you got?

This marriage is not a marriage, it is a tug of war where the participants really enjoy tug of war. And as Bryan hinted, his partner is more interested in enjoying the tugging than the man she's tugging against. Save that thought. Because times changes people, and when the energy of their relationship is conflict and competition, sooner or later things get OLD, and Boring, And Predictable. That's when one or both of them will be looking for a new, novel, exciting partner. Becky and Bryan will soon know ALL the other's moves, strategies, hot buttons, and vulnerabilities. And what fun is gambling when you know in advance when, how, and why you are going to win, or lose. Its the uncertainty and the risk they crave. And they ain't gonna get it from same old same old. I agree, if the marriage lasts till Tara is grown and gone it won't last a year longer. Write that story. And thanks for the effort.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

And while these little battles seem stupid and unimportant. If all of these small and unimportant decisions are just forfeited to the wife in the interest of peace. This is exactly the type of behavior that leads to women starting to lose interest and respect for their men. They no longer feel their input is needed and that they have the foolish notion that they can do what they want and make their husbands accept it. Bad precedent to allow and it will only grow and eventually lead to looking for something else. Even when the something else is someone else. When the shit hits the fan and she is shocked at the reaction she gets it will be to late to correct.

And when she sees what she has done and wants to go back or wants a do over. It will not be available or offered. This will also happen in reverse if the women just gives in to what ever the husband wants. If to a smaller percentage. And for the same false impression of being self important and not feeling the need for the others opinion and relying on the others pattern of acquiescence to allow it.

So, women just a little thing you should write down and keep handy before you go to far.

Men don't sweat the small stuff, if it makes the family happy and does not put the people they care about in jeopardy or danger. Then they really don't care about it. When you disrespect them and feel you are entitled to be with someone else. When you do this you will lose the trust and faith they have in you, "And it will NEVER come back". So, when you get divorced and realize the mistakes you made and foolish reasoning you used to make them. Remember it is easy to see who to blame and it is a lot cheaper than a soft science representatives opinion. Just go buy a mirror and stare at it. You will see where the culprit is immediately.

bobareenobobareenoalmost 2 years ago

I liked this tale. I am appreciative of the fact the author kept me interested over the issue of a choice of a lamp. It was an insightful character dissection.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

It's sad to read the comments from men that say their marriage is like this one. For God's sake grow a set of balls and stand up for yourselves.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

With new stories posted on consecutive days, it occurs to QuickMagazine that in a way FreddieTheCamel and GarySmith69 are country cousins. Both weave interesting tales within intact marriages, both are British. For me, FreddieTheCamel has been posting keepers around half the time, with some of the misses being stories in this now-revealed sequence of Becky and Bryan sagas. But since these six stories are linked, and he's now revealed the proper order, the 2 I'd not saved are now keepers, and I'll be tracking this series as it progresses. This installment merits a happy 4. FTC writes with depth, though I should caution that not all good marriages are like this one. In reality, men and women are more alike than unalike. Sorry, guess that's heresy for LW.

Regguy69Regguy69almost 2 years ago

Once you pass the honeymoon phase, an argument like this one always occurs. My wife learned long ago that I really have no opinion about lamps or bedspreads or wall color. Those things simply don't matter to me. She still occasionally asks for my opinion, but accepts it when I say I have no preference. She knows I will agree to almost anything she wants, but when I voice a concern, she is completely attentive and usually accepts my suggestion. I asked her about that and she said, "I get my way about 97% of the time. If you voice a concern, there must really be a problem, so I just assume you are right." Thirty-five years later, that still works for us.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

What amazes me is the number of commenters that say that their marriage is like this one. You're really a sad bunch of henpecked losers that let your wife lead you around by the nose. Guaranteed that none of you have the respect of wife, children or friends. And before you say I've never been married I've been married over 35 years. At no time has my marriage been remotely like this sad affair.

SystemShockSystemShockalmost 2 years ago

Another chapter in the saga of a spineless simp married to an actual sociopath with few redeeming qualities. Honestly, the only thing more pathetic and depressing than the concept behind this crap is the people in the comments acting like this is normal behavior. When a man does this kind of shit to a woman, it's called gaslighting and is rightfully seen as a form of abuse. But when a woman does it to a man, apparently that's just called marriage and is perfectly acceptable. I can only hope you people don't breed and instill your "values" in your children, thus unleashing another generation of whiny, entitled, misguided assclowns into the world.

mattenwmattenwalmost 2 years ago

As if taken from real life. A mirror of the everyday life of "modern" men. Excellently told! 5*!!!

PierremanvisPierremanvisalmost 2 years ago

Very perceptive about modern married life. Whether we males like to admit it or not. Cudos to the author.

NitpicNitpicalmost 2 years ago
Havent

Havent read the six stories,but in one of them I would hope Bryan leaves her.

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShades12 months ago

Thanks for your writing.

JayZipJayZip10 months ago

Nitpic wins funniest comment.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

If i ever have a self-centered, persnickety wife who second guesses my worth and our marriage, and uses me as a human dildo solely for hee pleasure, then shoot me. Oh, wait. That IS my wife! All 250 lbs of her fat ass.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userFreddieTheCamel@FreddieTheCamel
I write both professionally and for fun. The stories and essays I post on this site are for fun. I've also taken the first steps to self-publishing under the name Freddie T Camel, although more as an experiment than an ambition. I want to write stories that have emotional res...

SIMILAR Stories