The Bonding Chronicles Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Andrew grinned and rolled his eyes, before returning his gaze to his platter, where he was surprised to see the pudding cup still on his tray, but resting on the other corner. He shook his head and continued his lunch, becoming engrossed in the conversation Seth and Marcus were having with another table about a new sci-fi movie that had just come out.

Sara was true to form, and maintained a steady banter with Allison who was trying and failing to stay disengaged from her friend's playful game of verbal cat and mouse. Each time Allison thought she had withdrawn, Sara would find a new way to get her to engage. Andrew tucked the uneaten pudding into his backpack and disposed of his tray, before the four good friends left for their next class.

Allison grumbled at the affectionate display from Andrew and Sara that always took place before the two went their separate ways. Seth and Allison were laughing as they parted, which seemed strange to Andrew.

"What's so funny?"

It took several seconds for Seth to compose himself enough to talk, and by that point Sara and Allison had vanished around a corner.

"You might consider closing your bag."

Andrew unslung his heavy rucksack, and realized that the pudding cup had gone missing. He laughed and buckled the strap, admiration in his chuckling voice as he said, "Man, she played the long game today."

As Andrew and Seth entered Dr. Blake's classroom, Andrew knew that the teacher's strategy with Physics had failed. The teacher seemed to be sulking behind his desk, as he flipped through a science magazine. He refused to look towards Andrew, as he turned the unread pages with a frustrated glint in his eyes.

"Guess he started grading the quizzes," Seth observed.

Andrew had never realized just how observant his friend was until that moment. He had become so used to spotting those little details that he found it a relief to have someone else to share them with.

"I just hope this doesn't escalate like things with Will did."

Andrew set up his desk, while he thought about what that would mean. Would the teacher take the other path that Andrew had considered that morning before the tests had been handed out, and try to turn the rest of the students against him? "No, that doesn't seem like it would be satisfying to this kind of jerk," Andrew decided to himself.

While his friend got settled into class, Seth wondered what Andrew was worried about. He had handled Will with surprising grace, and even if Will came back to school still pissed off, it appeared that Andrew was well on his way to being able to stand up to the bully. Andrew seemed so much smarter than their teacher, or at least smarter than the teacher considered himself to be.

Wanting to pursue his idea, Seth whispered across to Andrew, "Do you think that Dr. Blake may not have a doctorate?"

Andrew thought about it, and responded with equal care, "No, on the contrary, I think he might have two or three."

Seth sat back. He had hopped that perhaps the teacher was not as smart as he made himself out to be. The idea that the arrogant prick was overcompensating for his own lack of education was enticing, but Andrew seemed confident that the teacher had the credentials to back up his claims.

Andrew leaned across and whispered, "Have you ever wondered why someone with that kind of education would be teaching high school advanced placement classes?"

Andrew sat back in his seat, the poignancy of his question warranting careful consideration. Even if Dr. Blake had failed to establish a career applying the knowledge he had earned when getting his degrees, he should have been able to teach college level courses at a minimum. Why would he choose to teach at a high school? Let alone a high school in the middle of nowhere?

Seth knew that Andrew was onto something the moment he considered the idea.

The bell rang, and the defeated teacher droned through his lesson plan without any of his usual games. He took no questions and called on no students, instead choosing to focus on relaying the information for the day's course in a monotone and distracted way. The few times he looked towards his students was to glance in Andrew's direction, as if looking for something.

With the class letting out, Andrew and Seth cut a quick path into the hall, before laughing with joy at having escaped what they had expected to be a trying lecture. The excitement on Andrew's face was highlighted by his anticipation at spending another class listening to Karen's voice, and learning from his wise mentor and compassionate companion.

The sultry woman looked frazzled and off-center behind her desk. Much of Karen's day had been more trying than the older woman had anticipated. The only stabilizing force she had found to hold onto was Andrew's sprite, which had radiated a steady stream of happiness and contentment most of the day. Everything else had felt off, from the cadence of her voice, to her focus which felt foreign and bizarre.

It wasn't until she saw Andrew walk in, smiling wide behind his big blue eyes, that she realized what was wrong. The young couple met — as they always did in the back of the room — and Andrew settled into his desk, while Sara watched the forest off in the distance. Their conversation was drowned out by the sounds of the students settling within the room and rushing through the hall just outside the door.

Seeing the two young lovers playful and carefree helped Karen to identify the thing that had been breaking her concentration, and muddling her thoughts. She had noticed the subtle shift in Andrew's and Sara's personalities, but failed to realize its implication until that moment. As she watched Andrew blush from some playful comment by Sara, it seemed bright as day to the older woman; they were influencing each other in a fundamental way.

Andrew had overcome his shy and bashful nature thanks to Sara who had never and probably would never care what people think of her. Sara had started to focus and organize her thoughts in a much clearer way, which had shown in her homework and involvement in class. Karen looked at her papers, after realizing she had been watching the teens for a little too long, and needed to keep up appearances.

Her thighs were warm, and she had difficulty keeping the teens from her thoughts, but with centuries of practice, she had learned how to compartmentalize her feelings. She followed her train of thought, and noticed the subtle influence of her mate on the way her considerations were being made.

Through the course of her long life, she had developed a fluid way to organize her thoughts and approach each moment. This had allowed her to adjust and shift her focus fast, so she could make connections and adapt to the ever-changing world, which she had known would be necessary, as she watched society shift around her. What she found when she studied her thoughts was that she seemed to be considering things in a much more black-and-white way, compartmentalizing her considerations, often before she should.

While she could still feel the fluidity of her thoughts, it felt like there was a new rigidity around everything that warped her perception just a little from what she would have come to without the elusive adjustments that were being made. In a way, it reminded her of how she had thought in her late fifties, when she knew enough to notice the reasons behind things, but not enough to be aware of why.

She smiled at her unread paper, as she realized how wise Andrew must be for his age, and why he seemed to notice things his peers missed. The bell rang, shaking her from her thoughts, and she stood, eager to teach the beautiful minds that sat before her. Now that she was aware of Andrew's influence, she found it easier to adjust and return to her normal thought processes.

No matter how proficient she was, there were a few fundamental changes that she could feel but not identify. Karen knew that something about her nature was changing, but at that moment she could not place her finger on what it was, or how it would manifest itself.

Andrew had been worried about Karen, and Sara was enjoying teasing him about the possible solutions he might employ to make her feel better. Neither of them could find the owl, and were kind of sad to know that it was not there. Something about their school routine being monitored by their silent observer felt comforting.

By the time that class started, Andrew and Sara noticed the marked difference in their sultry mate. She seemed more herself and less distracted. They needed to find a solution for her appearance — her alluring eyes seemed to capture the hearts of all the boys in the room. Andrew sighed as he took his notes within his mind, while focusing on her amazing stories and compelling connections. He was forced to correct himself often, as his subconscious bled through and recorded words like "moist" and "stroke" within the margins of his text.

Andrew and Sara had absorbed her compelling lesson, and recorded their assignment so that they could work on it together later that night. The alluring heat that washed through their bodies felt nice, and they each basked in the thought of the other as they winked at their teacher while exiting the room. Karen blushed a little while she shared their feelings, and struggled to hide the effects as she warmed with arousal.

She shook her head, and knew she needed to get even with her mates.

Andrew kissed Sara for a long moment, and savored the feeling of her pressed against him as they said their goodbyes.

The anticipation of working on his art project drew Andrew across the school with a joyous spring to his step. His smiling face captured the attention of several students, who shook their heads and laughed at the happy man. His excitement was contagious, and many of the young people he passed were left buoyed by his crossing, charging into the rest of their day with a renewed optimism.

Mrs. Rose watched Andrew as he set up his project, and was forced to admit that while she had not entirely understood what he had proposed, what was taking shape seemed impressive and beautiful. She was happy that Allison had spent some time guiding Andrew, and could see the young woman's influence in the lines of his work.

Andrew had a clear goal for his project, and set to work with a fervor. His hands worked fast, and by the time the soldering iron was up to temp, he had already shaped and set aside several firm lengths of wire that needed to be interwoven and secured with their LED(s) attached.

Seth continued his defence of the Barbarian class as a solid choice for his character, and at that point Andrew agreed, but maintained his protest as a flimsy excuse to rile his friend up. Allison moved to the table beside them, and soon was joining Andrew in tearing apart the validity of Seth's choice. Both of the boys were surprised by her cunning and well-reasoned arguments.

Whatever studying she had performed the night before had paid off, because she understood many of the rules of the game, and most of the classes in the few books that Andrew had lent her. By the time they were clearing up their projects in preparation for the bell, Seth was flustered and stuttering his final retort. Allison was savoring the suffering of the red-headed man a little too much, and Andrew felt bad for his friend, having switched sides a few minutes back.

Allison seemed to have lost her dour demeanor and was fully engaged in their debate, a broad smile resting uncomfortably on her face while she spoke. Andrew could tell she was unused to exerting those muscles, but her excitement at what they were discussing delayed her realization that they were fatigued. Seth blushed at the excited woman, knowing that he would never win against her, but wanting to play his Barbarian.

Andrew checked the electrical leads poking out of the bottom of his project, ensuring that they were properly secured and ready to be hooked up to whatever controller board he could piece together. The measurements were perfect and everything fit exactly how he wanted. He had decided to forgo the prototype, and just go full-scale, the excitement of the project having consumed him.

The conversation had died down by the time Andrew returned, and Seth was polishing his little metal figurine, the abstract character standing out in bold silver, copper, and bronze tones. The craftsmanship of his friend's creation was immaculate, the few welds cleverly placed and barely visible. The sullen cast to Seth's face stood out, and Andrew told him, "Dude, if you want to play a Barbarian, don't let us stop you. You have the perfect personality to pull it off. I was just messing with you, and I think Allison was too."

Seth began wrapping his little metal statue in protective paper for storage, and responded, "I know, it's just..." He looked across the room for a moment, and watched Allison wrapping her clay housescape before he picked up his figure, and finished by saying, "Don't worry about it."

Andrew was about to push the issue, when his friend left to store his art project. Looking across the room Andrew saw Allison lift her heavy artwork with her skinny arms, and he knew what was going on in his young friend's head. Whatever infatuation his friend had formed with Allison seemed to have been hurt by her teasing.

Seth came back, and avoided making eye contact with Andrew, as he picked up his bag and waited for the bell.

"Seth, I had no-"

His apology was cut short by Seth who turned and said with pleading eyes, "Andrew, I know you know what's going on. You always seem to know what's going on, but for once please don't meddle. She has no idea, and you pushing the issue is not going to change that. Just leave it alone. For me."

The strong emotions behind his friend's troubled gaze told Andrew how important this was to Seth, so with a long sigh Andrew replied, "Of course, man. I'm here if you need to talk, and I will try and keep this from Sara."

Seth's eyes grew wide at the mention of Andrew's girlfriend. He had not considered what would happen if Sara ever found out. He figured his secret would last all of five minutes — if he was lucky. Seth swallowed and nodded his head, "Thanks."

***** Wild Adversaries *****

Tani'm watched the salmon-spawning pools through the window of the office building. Workers moved between the pools and performed their duties with determination and care. This was one of her favorite investments that the Quinault Indian Nation had made. The pools ensured the survival of a species that for centuries, had sustained her people. The cycle of life within this forest could not have been better represented than it was in the care that was being given to ensure the salmon's survival.

"I'm sorry, Tani'm, but what you are saying is just too impossible to believe."

She smiled, her thin lips parting as she took a breath. "I'm only telling you of the realities we face. Believable or not, we must confront this threat, or risk losing everything."

The plump man who sat behind the desk reminded Tani'm of how much western culture had influenced her people's eating habits. His large dark eyes watched her as he fidgeted with a pen, the act speaking to her of his unease at accepting what she had said. "The Kaxo are legends that we tell our children. They aren't real."

Tani'm shook her head, annoyed at how her presence always seemed to force the people of her tribe to speak to her in their native language, the few words they knew of their dying language mixed in with the English they all spoke. She was reminded how detached she felt from her culture by how strange the word sounded, and by her struggle to remember what it meant.

"I thought the same, but the attacks have only increased since Grandfather was murdered. The great wolf seems to be growing in confidence, and its actions are beginning to seem brazen." She studied the pools, and could feel the hundreds of salmon lives as they swam against the currents in preparation to swim out to sea. "This beast confuses me," she confessed. "Its actions are both careful and yet foolish. I think it knows I hunt it, and I fear at times that it is toying with me."

Eddie had never seen Tani'm afraid before, and despite her stoic facade, he could hear the worry in her voice as she studied the scene outside. "You said it shares your abilities, are you sure we can even hurt it?"

Tani'm turned, and looked into Eddie's eyes before she responded, "No, though if it's truly like me, then it will be as easy to injure as a bear might be."

"Why a bear?"

"Like you said, it's a great wolf, so it's rather large." Despite her efforts, the frustration she held for his question showed in the tone of her response.

"It can't possibly be that big."

She studied his face, and knew that he would never truly believe her until he saw it for himself. "Perhaps a little smaller than a bear."

Eddie leaned back in his office chair, sending a high-pitched creaking sound through the room as he released a sigh. "We might be able to gather a dozen men with rifles, but it will take some time."

"If the wolf continues to step up its attacks, it will soon start attacking humans." She still wondered why the creature had avoided killing humans to this point, and instead focused on large animals like deer and cattle. She was thankful however, because its actions had bought her the time she needed to learn how to track the beast; and now that she was confident she could find it, she knew she needed the help of the tribe. "We cannot delay too long, Eddie. How much time will it take to gather the men?"

He twirled the pen in his hand, and considered her question for a few moments. "I think we can gather about that many in two days. After that, it will probably take a few more days to get three or four more people."

Tani'm turned, and nodded her head towards Eddie. "Two days will be fine. Make sure they all have rifles, pistols, and knives. This thing likes to move in close and seems to be incredibly fast." She paused while she considered if she should continue, but decided that they needed the warning. "Some people will die, Eddie. I wish I could say otherwise, but with how dangerous this wolf is, I cannot see a path around it."

Eddie gulped down a breath of air, and was startled by her sobering words. "That may cost us a couple of men, but it's only fair to let them know."

She nodded again before turning to leave the room. Eddie watched her as she moved with unnatural grace and poise towards the door. Ever since she was a child, she had moved with a fluidity that seemed impossible, and saw the world through magnificent eyes. Her stewardship of the forest had stabilized the region, causing everything to flourish. Animal populations had risen steadily ever since she had come into her powers, and The Nation had paid for all of her expenses ever since they realized how important she was.

"Are you still planning on leaving?"

His question stopped Tani'm where she stood. She sighed, but did not turn to face him. "Once this is dealt with, I will be leaving."

"You could have left four years ago. Why wait till now?"

Tani'm had been asking herself that same question ever since she had legally became her own guardian. She loved this place, but her heart heard the call of the world; the deserts of nevada, the forests of Alaska, and even the great plains of Texas, all begging her to go explore, their natures demanding to be understood by her gift, which pulled at her from every direction.

Even with all of those conflicting desires, she knew that something still needed to be done there. She had tended to the forest while she waited for her gift to tell her it was time to leave. Then a week ago, it happened, and she knew that whatever she had been waiting for had finally arrived. She had no idea what to expect, and assumed that it would be something glorious and profound. Several days later when she had been led to where Grandfather had been murdered, she knew the truth.

1...345678