The Book

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The one you told us about?" Rebecca asked with a smile at Muse. "It's good to meet you, Muse! Aaron talked about you quite a bit!"

"He did?" Muse asked, confused.

"Said how smart you was, how pretty," Abraham agreed. "Guess it makes sense it's you he's got his eye on now."

Muse looked up at Aaron and his red face.

"We headed to your place or the tavern?" Abraham asked jovially.

"My place first, I guess," Aaron told them. "I'll meet ya there, ya'll go on ahead."

Abraham snapped the reins with a smile and as they left, Muse looked the man over again. She knew what Aaron would look like in 20 years.

"You aim ta tell'm?" she asked Aaron as he turned her around and headed back to his place.

"I will," he agreed.

"Alla it?"

"Might leave out some. What yer pa did, fer one."

"You gonna tell'm ya killed 'm?"

"Wasn't plannin' on it."

"You don't think they'll hear it?"

"Mebbe they will, but they don't need it all at once. You gonna behave?"

"You mean 'm I gonna act like a lovesick wife? I ain't. You don't tell 'm, I will. Tell 'm their son took me 'n married again' my will. Tell 'm you forced me..."

"You won't," he growled, his eyes shining with anger. "You'll behave, Muse. I'm tellin' ya you will 'n you'll listen to yer husband! Behave!"

Muse snorted and went quiet, simmering as he walked her back to his place.

When he took her in, his folks were already sitting at the table, smiling pleasantly as they looked over Muse again.

"You said she was pretty, but never mentioned she was so adorable too!" Rebecca grinned, standing to hug Muse. "And I didn't expect her to be so beautiful! I thought you was exaggeratin', but she's even more lovely than I imagined. Ain't she, Abe?"

"She is," Abraham agreed. "Small, though? Guess that's what she meant by adorable."

"She's always been just a little thing," Aaron mumbled, moving to put cups and a pitcher of water on the table, then holding a chair for Muse to sit. "So... I guess I should just get it out there. Me 'n Muse is hitched."

"What?!? When?" Rebecca cried, shocked.

"She pregnant?" Abraham asked darkly, giving his son an angry look.

"No... least not that I know of. She weren't before we was hitched. It was all... sudden. Her pa died 'n men was all... it's complicated. But I brought her on to the sheriff 'n we signed off on it. Told 'r I would see 'r safe 'n all. Take care 'a her."

"He killed 'm," Muse spoke up. "My pa. Aaron killed 'm. Hit 'm so hard his neck broke, then grabbed me up 'n made me sign the papers. I said no more 'n once, said I wanted ta go my own way, but he won't let me."

"Muse!" Aaron cried, furious.

Abraham sat up as Rebecca stood with her hands over her mouth.

"Tell it true!" Aaron demanded heatedly. "Her pa drug 'r inta the tavern hurtin' her, her with bruises 'n welts all over from all the beatin' he done on 'r! Told everyone there he was sellin' off her innocence, then whorin' her out for the money! I told 'm I would pay for 'r, but a dowry 'n I'd take care 'a her! He said he wanted her whore'd out 'n he wanted the money. When I hit'm, I didn't aim to kill 'm, 'n I didn't know I had! I took 'r over ta say the words 'n sign off ta protect her from him comin' 'n takin' her again!"

"But after we found out he was dead, you wouldn't let me go! You wouldn't get it annulled!" Muse accused, letting all of her hurt show through. "After how mean ta me you was all through school, ya knew I had no want to be forced ta stay here, 'n you made me anyhow! Then raped me!"

"You tell it true!" he yelled again. "You didn't say no t'all! We's married 'n I waited for ya 'n made sure ya weren't hurt 'n you was pleased!"

"Man cain't rape his own wife," Abraham scowled at Muse. "Ain't no such thing."

Rebecca looked over Muse and then Aaron, not knowing what to think. "He saved you? From all those men and your pa? He's had a care for you for a good long while, Muse... We've been wantin' him to settle down, been waitin' for it! We figured he's been waitin' on you, he said you was younger than he was. I don't see why you're so upset? Ain't you better off now than you was?"

"A far sight better," Aaron agreed angrily.

"That don't mean it's what I wanted! I HATE Aaron! Always have! He made me MISERABLE! For years!"

"I TOLD ya! I was a kid! Ya cain't hold that again' me!" Aaron yelled, moving to get in her face.

"I can and I will! I don't have a care for you, Aaron Montgomery, 'n I never will! And I ain't never gonna forgive ya fer takin' what weren't yours ta take!"

Aaron snorted, then clenched his jaw as he stood up straight. "Ain't nothin' changin', Muse. Yer my wife. That's forever, them papers say so."

"Like I said, I cain't stop ya from doin' as ya please, but I won't forgive ya 'n I won't warm none to ya! I'll hate ya forever! Just see if I don't! I'll make ya miserable as you make me! Make ya sick ta death of me! Till ya let me go."

"I ain't never lettin' ya go!" he snarled, gripping her hair and getting right in her face as he pulled her close. "I'll put ya in the ground 'fore I let ya go! Yer MINE! MY wife! You'll stay put 'n you'll fuckin' learn ta behave if I gotta start turnin' ya over my knee ta see it done! It ain't a wonder yer pa beat ya like he did with how ya act! Hateful little bitch!"

"Aaron!" Rebecca cried, shocked.

"Boy, watch yer mouth around yer ma," Abraham scolded. "Girl... you best start listenin' to yer husband. He'd be within' his rights ta see ya brought in line with a firm hand. I don't know what all yer pa was like in raisin' ya, but it seems he didn't have a firm enough hand by far!"

"He beat me day 'n night! That don't mean he was right, it just meant he was mean as a snake! So's your son! Always has been, always will be! So who didn't raise their kid right? Raisin' a man who loses his temper so much he kills a man with a blow? A man who tortures a little girl fer bein' too smart 'n makes her wish she were dead? A man the whole town fears for his temper? Seems ta me you need a mirror! Lookit yer own self 'fore you go judgin' me!"

"Boy," Abraham growled at Aaron. "We're gonna go. You need to get that little snake in hand."

Aaron's mouth was a rictus of fury as his chest heaved and he glared down at Muse. Finally, he spoke. "Don't go far! Go stay at the inn, her pa's goin' in the ground tomorrah. She'll be proper contrite by then!"

"See that she is! We'll stay for the funeral. Send off for your sister too, so's she kin be here. I'll go now, in fact. Bring 'r back. You get her head straight!"

Aaron said nothing as he looked down at Muse, his nostrils flaring.

Abraham and Rebecca left, Abraham slamming the door.

"You just had ta do it, didn't ya?" Aaron asked darkly. "Hadda push me 'n make me look bad."

"You don't wanna look bad, then don't do the things ya did! I didn't tell no lies, so if ya look bad, whose fault is it?"

"Shut yer mouth, Muse!" he yelled, shaking her slightly. "Ya didn't hafta say alla that! You was just bein' cruel! Specially after what happened with us 'n it bein' so nice!"

"I still said no! "N I TOLD ya I wouldn't forgive ya 'n I won't!"

"Aaron?"

Both of them turned to look at the sheriff in the doorway, Aaron's chest heaving in fury. "What?"

"You two can be heard outside... everything alright here?"

"It ain't!" Muse cried, upset as tears welled up.

"It is," Aaron growled, yanking Muse close protectively.

"Well which is it?" the sheriff asked, his hand moving to rest on his gun as he watched Aaron warily.

"It's fine," Aaron spat. "Just married folks disagreein' is all. You ain't needed here."

"I want annulled!" Muse told the sheriff quickly.

"He hurtin' you, Muse?"

"I ain't hurt 'r none! I ain't laid a hand on 'r in a mean or angry way! Even if she does deserve ta be taken over my knee!"

"That true, Muse?"

"He ain't hurt me, but I don't wanna be his wife! I wanna make my own way! I HATE him!"

"He bed you yet?" the sheriff asked and Muse could see the look in his eyes. No, he wasn't here to help her at all.

"I did," Aaron growled. "We shared a marital bed!"

"So it's consummated," the sheriff scowled, looking let down. He'd wanted that for himself.

Muse went still and afraid, watching the sheriff's face as he looked her over.

Aaron hugged her closer, going still like he was about to do something violent.

Muse looked down then, more afraid of the sheriff than she was of Aaron. "It's just a squabble is all," she spoke softly. "He hurt my feelin's 'n we had words."

"That so?" the sheriff asked darkly. "I cain't abide liars. You lookit me when you speak ta me, Muse."

Muse looked at him, anger flaring up. "We had a squabble! He's been good 'n kind 'n all. I'm just upset is all. My pa being put in the ground tomorrah 'n all that happened. I'm just... tired 'n still not feelin' so well."

"You heard her," Aaron grumbled. "You ain't needed here."

"Alright. Muse, you need somethin', you come on over 'n see me."

"I won't," she scowled, turning back to Aaron.

Aaron stroked her back, rubbing softly as the sheriff left. He said nothing for a long while, just holding her close to him and she stayed quiet as well, letting him.

"You need a rest before dinner after while?" he finally asked, still holding her close.

"I ain't really tired, my heart just hurts. 'N my head."

"Here," he called, letting her go and picking up her cup from the table. "Drink some water. Doc said it's important. Alla it, then I'll pour you some more. Good... good girl. Here, c'mon 'n sit down here with me," he told her, guiding her to the sofa and pulling her close to him as he sat. "You feelin' better now? In yer head? You have it all right 'n figured out now?"

"Just cause I'm more scared of him than you don't mean I'm happy here, Aaron."

"You're in the best place for ya, Muse. Ain't no place gonna be better than where you're at. I'll make ya happy if ya let me... I will. You just gotta forgive how I was once 'cause I knew a girl like you'd never have a man like me. Slow ta readin' 'n math 'n all. You were meant for better 'n me... I resented it cause I liked ya so well. Then when you was all mean to Grant the way you was, I knew you'd be worse ta me. Him a boy you was nice to all the time 'n you bein' flat mean to 'm when he..."

"I told you it wasn't like that!"

"I know that now... but you see how it looked? You snappin' his nose off for darin' ta ask after ya after all the years y'all was close like you was? What would you say ta me? Made my heart hurt ta know you was outta my reach. I spoke out, acted out, made you feel as bad as I felt... I'm sorry fer that, Muse! I am. I wish I woulda just tried ta know ya instead of figurin' you couldn't ever like me. I cain't go back 'n change it though, so I just gotta show ya that I'm a different man than you knew then. I wouldn't ever hurt ya."

"You keep sayin'..."

"Sayin' 'n doin' ain't the same thing. I couldn't hurt ya, Muse... I'm afraid I'd hurt ya bad. I killed a man 'n didn't mean to, even if he did deserve it! I gotta take extra special care with you! I wouldn't ever lay hands on ya in anger. Might smash a chair through the wall... but I wouldn't hurt you. I care for ya too much. Could ya just see the man I am now? Forgive the boy who was wrongheaded 'n angry that you wouldn't see him like he saw you?"

"How 'bout ya let me go. Tear up them papers, then ask after me 'n woo me a bit. Gimme a chance ta get ta know ya some 'n see if it's what I want?"

Aaron sighed heavily. "That cain't happen, Muse, 'n ya know why. Too many men 'round here wouldn't let that go. You, a girl all alone with no protection. You'd be snapped up the first day! Ya know it's true. It's done, Muse. We're married. Try 'n move past that part 'n start tryin' ta see me like a husband."

Muse turned away, more tears falling. "Reckon I need ta lay down after all," she mumbled, trying to stand up to go to the bedroom.

Aaron pulled her close instead, hugging her to his chest and leaning back as he pressed her head to his shoulder. "Rest here with me a bit, Muse," he rumbled and she could hear the pain in his voice.

She didn't fight it, going still and considering his words.

He liked her.

No... he loved her. He had for a good long time, but thought she was out of his reach. That didn't excuse how miserable he'd made her though, did it?

But he'd saved her. Not just from all those men who'd wanted to rape her, but from her pa and the life her pa had had mapped out for her. Never letting her have her own life, keeping her close to keep slaving away for him.

He was also being nice and good to her, even if he had forced her to bed him. That hadn't even been so bad, not at all. She'd even enjoyed it.

He wanted to see her happy and protected.

Didn't that at least deserve her trying just a little bit?

If nothing else, it would see him complacent so she could get away. Ride off in the night and head east as far as she could go.

That decided her.

Reaching up, sliding a hand up his chest, she ran her fingers over his jaw to his ear, then into his hair. She liked his curly black hair, liked the feel of it in her fingers.

"Mmm," he purred happily, the sound vibrating in his chest.

"I guess It wouldn't be so hard ta let ya try 'n prove yerself," she mumbled, feeling sleepy as she lay there. "I'll give ya that, Aaron."

Aaron squeezed her gently and kissed the top of her head. "Thank you, Muse. I'll make ya glad ya did. You 'bout ta fall asleep?"

"Maybe," she sighed, her eyes closed.

"I'll wake ya when it's time," he promised, kissing her head again.

She felt drowsy and her body wanted rest, but her mind seemed to wake a bit then. She lay thinking about him and how she could hardly equate the man he was now to the man he was then. He didn't seem the same at all. He didn't even seem like the same man who had the reputation around town of a horrible temper.

"I love you," he whispered, so softly that she was sure she wasn't supposed to hear it. He thought she was asleep. "I'm gonna see you happy. I'll do all in my power ta make sure you have a better life than you ever imagined you might! It's all I want in this world, ta see ya smile at me. See ya lovin' me."

Tears welled in her eyes and she lay as still as she could so he wouldn't know she was awake. Her heart ached a bit with how much he cared for her and part of her wished she could love like that. That she wanted to love like that.

From all she'd seen of her pa, she hadn't really ever wanted a husband and she never thought she might be able to love any man. They all wanted to possess her and control her and she wanted her own life.

Maybe she could try both? Belong to Aaron as a wife, but have her own life too? He already said he'd allow her freedoms... she might have to test and see how far those freedoms stretched.

When he nudged her a short time later, sitting up and easing her to sit up as well, she let out a sigh. She'd have to face his folks again and she wasn't sure she was ready for that.

"Here," he offered, handing her her brush after he'd stood up.

Muse quickly fixed her hair and noticed how he was watching her, his eyes full of hope.

As soon as she put the brush down, he took a knee and pulled her closer, canting his head as he leaned in and kissed her lips. Muse didn't kiss him back, but she didn't pull away either as she looked at him.

He smiled, then stroked her cheek. "It's gonna be good, I promise," he told her, then stood up and took hold of her hand.

Muse let him lead her to the tavern and she saw his folks right away, along with his sister and her husband. There were two seats saved for her and Aaron, though it wasn't his usual table in the back.

Aaron didn't seem to mind as he pulled her chair out for her, then sat down next to her. "Sarah, this is Muse," he offered to his sister. "Muse, this is my sister, Sarah 'n her husband Carter. Muse 'n me got married."

"Pa mentioned that," Sarah smiled at Muse. "It's good ta meet ya."

"You too," Muse agreed with a nod as she looked the large girl over. Her husband was only slightly smaller than Aaron, still a large man. He said nothing, only glancing at Muse before turning back to Abraham like they'd been talking.

"You get her straightened out?" Abraham asked Aaron.

"We talked," Muse spoke up before Aaron could. "We came to an arrangement, but it weren't him squarin' me away or takin' a heavy hand to me! He tries that 'n I'll be gone 'fore he knows it."

Abraham pressed his lips together and looked at Aaron.

Aaron smirked, his eyes shining. "We came to an agreement," he agreed. "We'll leave it at that. Y'all sent off for suppers yet? Sharon! We'll take 9! Milk all around!"

"Sorry ta hear about yer pa," Sarah offered Muse.

"Thanks," Muse mumbled, then blinked as Aaron put his hand over hers on the table.

"You really ain't gonna take on the bakin'?" Sarah asked, smiling.

"I want no part of that," Muse scowled.

"We're sellin' it. The bakery," Aaron spoke up. "Already got a few people interested 'n biddin' up the price." I think I don't care much for price, though, I feel like I know who needs it most. I aim to see if they want it for a bit less."

"Yer heart always was too big," Sarah grinned. "Offerin' everthang fer nothin' if 'n someone needs it."

"You'd be better off lettin' them folks bid 'n then takin' as much as you kin get for it," Abraham spoke up.

"I reckon I'll do as I please with it," Muse told him, sitting up. "And I reckon I'd rather see someone who needs it have it."

"Aaron's your husband 'n he says you..."

"It's her place," Aaron interrupted. "I told 'r that. It was hers ta do with as she pleased. She wants it same way I do. I'll offer it over to Daniel 'n Lyah, then."

"For HALF the cost," Muse snarled at Abraham.

Abraham started to stand, throwing his napkin down, but Rebecca put a hand on his arm. "Let's sit and have a nice dinner? One that I didn't hafta cook," she chuckled.

"Even if it's awful, it'll be good since I didn't hafta make it," Sarah agreed congenially. "Muse, I recall Aaron speaking of you quite a bit back when he was in school. You speak as much of him as he did you?"

Muse glanced at Aaron who'd gone a bit sickly looking. Looking down, she shrugged. "It was just me 'n pa, 'n he didn't much care for me talkin' or speakin' of my day. He thought schoolin' was a waste on me since I wasn't ever gonna be nothin' but his delivery girl 'n maid 'n all. Made me quit school just after Aaron left 'n took over the smithy."

"Did ya think on 'm, though?" she asked, her eyes lit up with the thought.

Muse glanced at Abraham and Rebecca. They obviously hadn't told Sarah anything that had happened. Turning back to Sarah, she blushed. "I reckon I thought on him about every day, specially that last year he was in school."

Rebecca laughed gleefully. "I do love love stories and happy endings!" she cried. "Aaron mentioned you loved to read? Have you read any T.H. Monroe?"

"A few that Frank let me read," Muse agreed, blushing. That writer wrote nothing but the mushiest love stories.

"Aren't they just wonderful?"

"I like most books," Muse agreed noncommittally. "You get many books out at the loggin' camp?"

"The company store gets some in all the time!" Sarah agreed happily.

"If ya picked 'm all up for me, I'd pay ya for 'm," Aaron spoke up then. "Muse loves ta read 'n I aim to fill her shelves up with all her favorites."

"All of 'm?" Sarah asked, surprised.

"Yeah!" Aaron agreed quickly.

"Don't go spendin' too much," Abraham grumped. "She won't have no time for cookin' 'n cleanin' and all else ta do with her work."

Aaron shrugged. "Then we'll take meals here like I always have."

Abraham glared at Muse.

"Aaron?" Frank called, hurrying to their table as he came in the door. "I spoke ta Everett, 'n he's offerin' $400 cash today for the bakery! Says he wants it for his daughter!"