The Breeding Center Ch. 20

Story Info
Lexi gets emotional.
1.3k words
4.14
5.3k
3
0

Part 20 of the 23 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 07/18/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Justwords
Justwords
257 Followers

A couple of days later, a woman came to speak with all the girls in our wing. As The Breeding Center's Education councilor, Miss Martha was there to prepare us for the stage of our lives which followed. She explained everyone would receive a mandatory education and we needed to firm up what our trade would be. As soon as we moved to the 11th floor, we would be required to formally declare our major, and upon our move to the 10th floor, our studies would begin. Depending on the chosen trade, some could go straight to work after discharge while a few would need to continue their education on their own. What more, girls who had successfully become impregnated with multiples would receive their education at no cost. While those like myself would incur a student loan.

That evening, myself and my circle of friends, along with Gem of House Bedford and Tabitha of House Santé Fe, surrounded a table in the community room and threaded beads into necklaces.

"You all know I want to be a hairdresser." Nora said. "But what are you ladies thinking?"

"I know is sound strange, but I was leaning towards being a helicopter pilot. The idea of being able to fly sounds wonderful!" explained Lidia.

"That doesn't sound strange. Flying would certainly give a girl a feeling of freedom, which we haven't experienced much in our lives. I can see why you would crave that." I responded. "My difficulty would be the act of taking women's babies away..."

"Did you hear about that helicopter crash at The East Coast Breeding Center?" Tabitha interjected.

"I did!" Gem replied. "The pilot was distracted by her 36 parcels and lost control of the craft. It crashed at a fueling station and caused a massive explosion!"

"Uhhh... I think we need to change the subject." Nora interrupted after seeing the horror in my eyes.

"Oh yeah... Sorry, Lidia. I didn't mean to discourage you."

"Lexi, what do you want to do?" Josette quickly asked.

I wrestled to shake the images. "Uh... I don't know..."

"What does that mean? You honestly don't know, or you don't want to tell us?" Lidia asked. I flashed her a grateful expression. Her tone clearly selected to tease me and lighten the mood.

"I need to meet with Miss Martha to help me figure out what my options are. I mean... I know what I want to accomplish, I don't know what career I should select to get there."

"Well, tell us! Maybe we can help." Josette suggested.

"Lexi of House Meridian" I turned at the sound of my name. Riley stood next to Miss Maggie. "You have an appointment." She said.

I jumped to my feet, took in Riley's wearied face, and my faint grin immediately melted into a whirlwind of emotion. Haunted by my vivid dreams of her and Kayla, a lump formed in my throat and I burst into tears. I dropped my face into my hands and stood sobbing. Nora and Lidia were instantly at my side, concerned.

"Is she alright?!" Gem asked.

"It's all that talk of the helicopter. You need to be more sensitive!" Nora scolded.

Although Nora guessed wrong, my cries became more intense at the thought of having upset everyone. I felt terrible imagining my friends modifying their behavior to shield me from the realities of our world. I dropped from Nora and Lidia's arms into a squat and continued crying into my hands. I wished I would disappear.

I heard Riley's gentle voice speaking to Miss Maggie. "Get me a wheelchair, please. I'm going to take her downstairs." she whispered. Riley carefully persuaded me to stand and guided me to the chair as I quieted.

Lidia pushed a tissue into my hands. "Hang in there, hun. We'll get through this. Love you."

Riley shot Lidia a sour glare as she turned the chair away from her. Lidia did not see it, but Nora did. "That's right, Lexi. All your friends love you. Everything is going to be okay." Nora said, covering for her.

The chair was whisked away from the community room and paused in front of the elevator while Riley swiped her key card. I dried my face and blew my nose as we waited for the elevator. "I'm so embarrassed." I mumbled.

"Don't be." Riley replied. "Emotions run high at a time like this. It's normal."

I took a deep breath as the door finally opened and she rolled the chair in. A nurse with an empty cart shifted to the left to allow us entry. She nodded politely at Riley and began whistling a happy tune as the door closed.

Anger churned in my stomach like volcanic lava. Somewhere on the 3rd floor, dozens certainly mourned for their lost children as this nurse went about her day snatching them away, just as one mindlessly plucks wildflowers from a field. My fists clenched and my body tensed.

Riley put her hand on my shoulder and offered a gentle squeeze. "Do you mind?" she whispered to the nurse. "I have a terrible headache." The whistling stopped and the three of us continued our descent in silence.

"See you soon." the nurse told Riley as she pushed the cart off the elevator onto the second floor. Her cheerful whistling resumed as she disappeared, no doubt to reap the next crop.

The door closed. "I'm sorry you had to see that." she said.

I didn't answer.

"How are your cramps?" Riley asked when the door opened on the first floor. She wheeled out the chair and turned it toward her exam room.

"Cramps?"

"Yes, Lexi. I got a message you miscarried...?"

"Oh, that..." I turned in the chair so I could see Riley. "I... may have exaggerated a bit... so I could get some time alone with you." I confessed.

The chair came to an abrupt halt. For a moment I wasn't sure if she would be mad. "You mean you're still pregnant?" She asked carefully.

"Yes." I said.

Riley glared at me for another moment before she broke into lively snickering. She slapped her hand over her mouth to restrain her laughter. At once, she pivoted sharply to the left and to the right and confirmed no one was around. Then, before I knew what was happening, she spun the chair and sprinted down the hall in the opposite direction. Startled, I gripped the armrests tightly. She stopped in front of a door which I recognized as Miss Laura's office. Riley withdrew a set of keys and fumbled through them until she isolated the one she desired. She unlocked the door, thrust it open, and returned to the back of the wheelchair. I was pushed into the room before the door was closed and for a brief moment, I was surrounded by complete darkness. I held my breath and she found the light.

She was suddenly before me and drew me to my feet. Riley's arms wrapped around me and held me tightly against her body. "I am SO glad you are okay. Do you have any idea how worried I was?"

"I'm sorry. I was desperate to see you. Are you mad?" I asked softly.

"Mad? Shit, no. You are awesome Lexi! I can't believe you did that for me."

"I haven't even seen you in nearly a month. I don't understand why you didn't come to see me. ...and Kayla said..." I drifted off.

Riley straightened her arms and looked me straight in the eye. "I'm sorry Lexi. I know you needed me, but they were working me 12-18 hour days, seven days a week. Shit, Lexi, I've missed you too! I've missed you like crazy... I couldn't get away!"

"You've been pulled into labor and delivery?"

"Yes. We've been short-staffed since a bunch of nurses volunteered to go to the new colony, plus the new breeding machines arrived, and it seemed like everyone went into labor... I can't even tell you how many deliveries I've had to perform completely unassisted and..."

"Did you sleep with Kayla?" I blurted out.

Riley froze and glared at me. There was a long moment of silence while I waited for an answer.

"What?" Riley finally replied.

Justwords
Justwords
257 Followers