The Bunker Ch. 01

Story Info
An impending apocalypse, a new world with harems.
9.7k words
4.72
38.1k
90

Part 1 of the 11 part series

Updated 04/14/2024
Created 06/26/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

All characters depicted in this story are fictional and over the age of 18.

******

Interferometric gravity wave observations combining the LIGO observatories with VIRGO in Italy and the newly built ERGO facility in Australia lead to the detection of a previously undetected asteroid in an Earth-crossing orbit. Once detected gravitationally, other sensors were deployed to learn more about the threat. Thermal observations were the most effective at first. The Rock had a very dark surface, which is likely why it was not previously detected. No one knows if it's orbit shifted, or the luck of the draw never put Earth and The Rock in the same place at the same time, but it is expected to impact in less than a year. Well, a year after governments came clean with the information.

The impact is too soon to use any of the planned deviation methods. The usual suspects talk about nuking The Rock, but that would just make the inevitable debris radioactive when it reaches Earth. Fortunately, impact is projected to make life on the surface very difficult, but not impossible. Experts say that some will survive without any drastic action.

No one is happy with that alone, so governments around the world make contingency plans to preserve a portion of their population. The US is building four bunkers in different areas of the country - One in the northeast corner of Pennsylvania, one in northern California, one in Central Missouri, and one near the triple point junction of Georgia, Alabama, and Florida. The EU builds two bunkers, one near the German/Polish border, the other near the French/Italian border. Rumors suggest France and Germany are also each building their own national bunkers.

Secrecy is running rampant as paranoia breaks out everywhere. Brazil announces it is building a bunker, but does not reveal its location. Other South American countries offer cooperation in exchange for space in the bunker. Brazil does not respond. China and Russia flatly refuse to discuss the issue, beyond claiming their superior societies will lead the world into the future. India is building at least one bunker. The Democratic Republic of the Congo builds a bunker, but it will not be sealed or self-sustaining for as long as the bunkers built by the wealthier nations.

Other nations begin clamoring for space in the bunkers. At a meeting of the UN, Pakistan publicly offers to combine efforts in exchange for space in India's bunker. The assembled diplomats manage not to visibly react. Some nations ask for space. Some demand space based on past grievances, perceived or real. Rumors suggest that elites of some small nations have offered young women from their nations, in some cases their own daughters, as 'payment' for their own preservation.

US leaders want to ensure those exiting the bunkers are not overpowered by whomever remains. The disaster itself may take care of this, but those in power listen to the worriers. Or it was just the excuse they were looking for? Men will be chosen to enter the bunker. Each man will choose multiple women to form a polyamorous family. This will foster a baby boom beginning within the first two years of bunker life, ensuring a much larger population emerging in fifteen to twenty years.

A formal caste system is instituted. The upper tier consists of powerful and wealthy men, the next is individuals those elites want specifically to preserve - IT workers, innovators, engineers, and artists. Tier 3 is made up of men to be selected by lottery. Tier 4 is wives of any man prior to his selection for the bunker. Also in tier 4 are concubines, women picked to help manage family affairs. Tier 5 are handmaidens. These women retain some legal rights of personage, but are expected to subordinate themselves to the man of their house to a greater degree than wives & concubines. Handmaidens still retain the right to decline sex - once per month, which the man must respect for a minimum of six days after the refusal. Handmaidens also retain the right to decline anal sex, multi-partner sex and public sex. Tier 6 is sex slaves. These women are chattel. They have no legal rights and live for the whim of their master. Women with children are permitted to bring male children age 8 and younger and female children age 17 and under with them to the safety of a bunker if they opt to become a sex slave.

Protests and riots break out among those fearing they will not be allowed in a bunker. Rights advocates try to rally against the caste system, but too many are focused on their own near term survival.

******

Lottery rules are announced. Every male in the US not in tier 1 or 2, between the ages of eighteen and sixty, and free of life long medical conditions (MS, diabetes, COPD, personal history of cancer, etc) will be eligible. Each male's name will be entered once in the lottery by default. Each man is also awarded additional entries based upon specific qualifications. Men ages twenty through thirty will be awarded one additional entry in the lottery. Veterans will be allotted two additional entries. Certification or documented minimum of five years work experience as a carpenter, welder, plumber, electrician, or mechanic earns a man one additional entry. Published authors (not self-published), and singers and musicians that have performed paying shows (not open mic nights and karaoke) receive one additional entry. The last two sets do not double up. Certification as an electrician and a carpenter still only earns one entry. However, a mechanic in a band that has had paying gigs will get two entries. Educators (any level) receive an additional entry, as does anyone with a bachelor's degree. Any degree above a bachelor's receives yet another entry. Chefs and cooks get an extra entry. Spiritual leaders receive an extra entry.

Since adaptability will be useful, any man exceeding five added entries would be given a weblink for uploading videos. These videos must document a passable skill level in any of the above fields. The videos would be judged by experts in the fields, who are guaranteed spots in the bunker. Here, the previously grouped skills were considered separately. A certified carpenter with or without documented electrical skills could submit a video demonstrating his prowess with electrical work. If at least four of the videos were approved by the experts, the man receives an additional entry as a 'Jack of All Trades'. If seven of the videos were approved, two entries would be awarded. Also, the videos would be appended to the man's profile so that any woman searching the lists would have them as further information to consider. The government convinces video sharing sites to temporarily take down any how-to video related to the above skillsets until the lottery is complete. The executive teams of the sites are declared essential and given tier 1 status.

******

I'm a professor. I earned a BS and MS in Physics, then a PhD in Astrophysics. I'm a veteran, and I've had several books published. That earned me seven extra entries in the lottery. And a shot at two more.

First, I made a cooking video where I made an simple cheese & onion omelet, then a lasagna with garlic bread and Caesar salad, and finally a roast chicken dinner. Fortunately, I had a good video editing program, so I shot each one separately and then stitched them together. I even added in some captioning titles at the beginning of each section.

For my next video, I used the school's woodturning machine to turn four cedar 4x4's into nice but simple table legs. I then beveled the edges of a nice flat, smooth 2'x5' piece of cedar that I had already planed and attached the legs to make a respectable coffee table. I also built a passable bookshelf. Finally, I built a closet into a room of my house that had been subdivided into two rooms by a previous owner.

The dividing wall between those two rooms I mentioned? No power at all. It is an older house, so there aren't that many outlets in the first place. So I installed two outlets on the wall, one for each room. NO, I did not gang them back-to-back. That's asking for trouble. I did the extra work to install them separately. I also replaced a light switch. Then I took a breadboard and some electronics parts to build a small rangefinder.

For plumbing, I replaced a faucet and replaced rusted out sink piping with PVC. I also replaced the wax ring on the downstairs toilet.

For mechanic skills, I replaced a thermostat, then changed the filters, oil, and sparkplugs, and finally diagnosed and replaced an alternator. I deliberately sabotaged my alternator after buying a new one, just to have something to fail.

My next to last video, I pulled up some karaoke background instrumental on my computer and recorded myself singing Boston's "Don't Look Back", Garth Brook's "The Dance" and Matchbox 20's "Unwell". I thought that gave a broad range of styles that I could still manage and covered my years of life as well.

The last video could have been trouble for me. The others could only fail if I had not performed well enough. This one, I submitted a video for spiritual leadership. I had addressed some topics of the churches' failings regarding sexuality, politics, etc in my nonfiction books. This time, I went straight at a few sacred cows. I took head-on the old canard about the woman's body belonging to her husband. Oh, it's not wrong, it's just that so many ignore the verse immediately after that says the husband's body belongs to his wife, and the surrounding verses that explicitly say each spouse has a responsibility to please the other. It ain't a one-way street. There are folks in the street and on tv screaming 'one man one woman, as established my God'. I pointed out the absence of verses banning polygamy. I did acknowledge verses that showed it was fraught with troubles. So while not recommended generally, it could be acceptable in extreme circumstances. Lastly, I delved into the master-slave issues with a verse from Paul admonishing those that had slaves about their responsibilities in the eyes of God with regard to treatment of those slaves, no matter what the laws of man said.

I was a bit surprised when all seven of my videos were approved. I had made seven so that I had three backups. Now, I had ten total entries in the lottery. Still, there where several million men and less than ten thousand openings. Would nine more entries matter?

A week later, I was notified my name had been drawn in the lottery. But I wasn't in yet. I had to fulfill a few steps first. Some criteria applied to all men drawn, but each of us had a few specific tailored requirements. All men are expected to accumulate a minimum of three, and maximum of six women in less than a month. At least one must agree to be a slave. At least one must be a stranger to the man and the other women prior to joining the family. Sisters and first cousins (of the man or each other) are not allowed in the same family. Each family must complete, as a family, a team confidence & challenge course. That one might just to have been to build cohesiveness, rather than weed anyone out.

As for individual expectations, I don't know other people's specifics, but it quickly came out that any man without Jack-of-All-Trades entries must submit a video demonstrating competency in at least one new skill. I was expected to lose ten pounds or a minimum of 2 percentage points on my body fat percentage (either would do) and get one of the women attached to me pregnant in less than one month. Some in leadership were concerned my fertility wasn't high enough since I'm fifty. There were a few others my age or older selected in the lottery, but not many. They probably had a similar requirement. I got to work on my 'Selectee Profile'. This was a list of selected men that women willing to participate could browse and find a man they wanted to seek out. Those of us with Jack-of-All-Trades videos had them appended to our profile, even the videos not approved for points.

******

Selectee Profile: Kevin Ansen

Age: 50

Occupation: Science Professor, writer, advocate

Interests: movies, games, reading, travel, karaoke, science fiction

Background & Experience:

Six years in the Army as an artillery observer, graduate degrees in physics and astrophysics, fiction and non-fiction author. I have also spoken out as an advocate for education reform and the harmony of science and faith. I get about four speaking engagements per year, in and out of state. I maintain a website (clickable link) espousing these views - and my discussions of movies and books. I am a Professor of Science at Simpson College, having taught there for fifteen years.

Worldview:

I am a follower of Christ. I reject all church dogma that runs counter to Christ's teachings. That's a lot. Including what church dogmas are already saying about the current situation and this polygamous caste-based solution our government has formed to address it.

The operating principle of every Christian should be love. This is established explicitly in Christ's words and elsewhere in the bible, but ignored because it gets in the way of earthly power in and out of the church. I intend to lead my family, not rule it - this is an expectation on me that the government's laws cannot obviate. As a member of an upper caste in the new system, I have obligations laid down in scripture regarding how I treat those in my care. I am human, and I will fail at times. But this is my guidepost.

What I seek in a Woman:

In practical terms, I'm looking for women that have skills useful in the times ahead. Given the size the family will quickly grow to, domestic skills will be important. Old-fashion domestic skills will also matter. We will have to raise our own crops and animals, and then turn them into usable food. We will also need to preserve that food without the aid of refrigeration.

I will be tasked with education and knowledge preservation, so skills that assist that are appreciated. Other work skills will be considered if they remain relevant in this new world we are entering.

I would like someone that can appreciate a quiet day, but not be overtaxed by a house full of friends and family watching movies and playing games.

We are going to be a large family, well outside the norm that most of us grew up in. We will have to show each other some grace, occasionally swallow our pride, and maybe play mediator once in a while.

Ok, ok, so what do I want physically?

The single biggest way to get my attention is long hair. Regardless of color, skin tone, breast size etc. Long hair gets and holds my attention. Yes, there have been wonderful, beautiful women in my life with short hair, so it's not an automatic out.

I'm not a fan of piercings or tattoos. Well, a belly button piercing on a few of you might be interesting. As for tattoos, I would prefer none. A few small tattoos is not going to get you eliminated. A butterfly on your shoulder? no problem. A small rose tattoo? Kinda cute. A pair of lips tattooed on your ass telling the world where to kiss it? OK, we just might get along well.

I'm not a fan of skeletal or fat. Svelte would be ideal. I've carried excess weight before, so a moderate amount of excess on you is not a deal breaker. You don't have to have a perfectly taut bikini belly. Some paunch is ok, at least for now.

There are a lot of beautiful women that look nothing like each other. There are sexy women in every race and ethnicity. I'm not picking a bunch of look-a-likes.

If I were describing one perfect partner, she would be 5'10", vibrant auburn hair down to the middle of her back. She would have green eyes and a smattering of freckles on her face and torso. Hopefully on her breasts as well. She would have nicely toned legs and large breasts. And of course, she would be incredibly randy.

So, real women don't come off an assembly line. Brown hair is gorgeous. and black hair. and blonde. White, Black, Asian, Native American, Latina, Indian, Persian, Arabian, there are lots of attractive women in the world, and very different from each other. I like big boobs, but small breasts are still breasts. You know the most important quality of a breast? The woman they are attached to. Be someone I want to curl up on the couch with. Be someone I want to come home to. Your boobs will be great & and I'm going to love seeing them every time you take your clothes off.

Short can still be breath-takingly beautiful too. One of my earliest heartbreaks was barely five foot tall, overly skinny with short, blonde hair and blue eyes and absolutely flat as an ironing board. She was funny and vulnerable and strong, and I hope I was a positive part of her life.

Oh, One last thing, and I can't believe I nearly forgot this. No smoking. It's debatable right now whether they will even allow it in the bunkers. Tobacco smoke (and pot too) is hell on air filters. Personally, I can't stand cigarette smoke. It's not sexy. It's nasty. It makes me cough. It burns my nose and eyes. Smoking leaves a stink on you and your clothes. It makes your mouth and skin taste like ash. I know, I've tried making out with a girl that smoked. If you smoke, don't come to me.

******

Well, work had certainly changed. Direct job tasks, no. The attire of many of the young women in my classes? Yep. Granted, some just showed a little cleavage when they hadn't before. Some just wore a sightly tighter shirt, or maybe a skirt or shorts. Some, well.... they wore more than a string bikini. Not a lot more. Some of the guys didn't show up to class. Why bother? Those that did show... enjoyed the show.

"Alright folks, that's it for today. I'll see you Wednesday, 10am." Students rose and gathered their things. Some of the ladies still had their eyes on me, moving slowly. In a lower volume, I directed my view to one particular young lady in the second row, off to the side. Jennifer Rodriguez was a former high school athlete that still retained a nicely fit body. Long, dark brown hair, dark brown eyes and softly brown skin, an expressive face, a sharp mind that asked good questions and a personality determined to put in the work that leads to success. And that smile. "Jennifer, I'd like to see you in my office immediately after this."

Very shy Jennifer blushed heavily. In context, no one could have missed the reason for my request.

"Her? That little skank has no idea what to do with a man in bed! All seven guys in this room can tell you I know what I'm doing!" Sherry Lindsor had blonde hair reaching to the middle of her shoulder blades, blue eyes and, at the moment, lightly tanned skin that had had darkened with rage. Normally pulled back in a pony-tail, today her hair was done up to the nines and her make up had probably taken a full hour to get right.

"I think you misunderstand the definition of skank Ms. Lindsor." I noted wryly. "A woman with little or no sexual experience, as you have just alleged to be true for Ms. Rodriguez, hardly qualifies as a skank. On the other hand, you've also indicated you've been with seven young men, just in this room, in a bit less than a year - since this is nearing the end of the Spring semester, and you are a freshman. I loathe to cast shame on someone for their personal activities that harm no one else, but you did wield the word yourself."

Sherry's eyes flared and she stormed out. All of the young men and a few of the young women laughed. Jennifer looked like she wanted to contract space time into a pocket she could hide in. Some young women looked to each other and quietly left. The rest of the class followed. Jennifer walked with me to my office in silence.