All Comments on 'The Bunker Ch. 06 - The Happy Fortnight'

by RonanJWilkerson

Sort by:
  • 14 Comments
robots101robots1016 months ago

Nice cliffhanger

WatcherNtheSlyWatcherNtheSly6 months ago

Cum on!!! You really just left us hanging like that? Can't wait to read the rest. 5*

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

I'm surprised given the context of the story that there has not yet been anything referencing the Stanley Kubrick political satire black comedy movie "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb" starring Peter Sellers, George C Scott, Sterling Hayden, Keenan Wynn, Slim Pickens and James Earl Jones, among others...

Given the dedication to preserving history of music and movies, I am surprised there is nothing about preserving the AFI's 1998 or 2007 updated list of greatest movies all time, which includes Dr. Strangelove which has the iconic scene of Slim Pickens riding a nuclear bomb as it falls while acting like a rodeo cowboy. It would also include the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's list of 300 influential songs would also be something that Kevin would want to preserve, given how you have described the character.

Also, I'm surprised Gabriela's brother and friends are not helping with construction or property security, given they will have the house handed over to them.

ET270ET2706 months ago

Really liking this, keep up the amazing work. Waiting in anticipation for the next chapter.

RonanJWilkersonRonanJWilkerson6 months agoAuthor

@Anon

Kevin is one guy, not the leader of the bunker. The cultural preservation you mention is someone else's duty.

As for Gabby's brother, daughter, and their friends, remember we just ended week three of the story.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

I just hope that the referenced TV episode that they were watching was "The Measure Of A Man" and not "Justice".

Rhino77PIlotRhino77PIlot6 months ago

As they say in the upper-crust snobby society, " Bravo!"

More to the point of the west coast counter-culture of the 60s, " Right on!"

I am much more the latter than the former.....

Looking forward to more of this story.

bear1999bear19995 months ago

really a cliffhanger...I'll be back :)

NursesNurses5 months ago

You don't know how to write a bad story. Too bad the Bunker has not exploded into a Bunker Universe. We could have dozens of families preparing

WolfbeckettWolfbeckett5 months ago

The requirement for him to get a girl pregnant in the first month is kind of weird. I get they want to make sure that the older guy is capable of breeding, but, like... a fertility test seems easier? Just have him go to a fertility clinic and get a sperm count test done, he could have knocked that out day 1. The physical test was weird too. Why does it matter at all how many pull ups his family can do combined? Who cares? Why? When that requirement was first described I was expecting it to be a lot of actual teamwork and trust exercises to prove they could function together as a family unit, but this was just an army basic training routine. For what?

For the house, if they're planning to make it as self sustainable as possible for Gabby's family when they arrive, there's a few more things they should be doing. First, they're building raised beds and greenhouses, that's good, but they should also dedicate a couple of acres to an orchard of fruit and nut trees. Those will take a few years to start producing but once they do it will be a HUGE boost to the food quantity and variety produced on the land. Second, livestock. With only 10 acres raising a lot of beef cattle or even sheep isn't really viable, they just need more land. But a few dairy cows would be a very good idea. As far as other livestock goes, chickens are obvious. Eggs and meat from the same animals is a big win. Rabbits are also a great option, they breed fast and grow fast to provide a steady source of meat and hides that can be sewn together into clothing, blankets, etc. And if they want some larger meat animals, pigs would be my choice for their situation, they don't take up as much space as other large mammalian livestock do and they provide a good return on investment in terms of pounds of food eaten to pounds of food harvested from the animal. If they had more land sheep would have been a good option... wool, meat, AND milk from the same animal is good win. But sheep just need a LOT of land, they're basically wooly locusts and a decent sized flock of them will graze 10 acres of grassland into a wasteland in pretty short order.

RonanJWilkersonRonanJWilkerson5 months agoAuthor

I will get back into land usage and future plans in ch 9.

As for the manner of proving Kevin's fertility, keep in mind the Bunker Authority has a 'putting women in their place' mindset.

SorchakSorchak5 months ago

One little nitpick: first you say they needed to have "30 pullups, as a family." But at the end of that paragraph, you say "had not collectively completed the thirty-five,". And then Kevin does fourteen, to make 30. That needs fixing.

haremfanharemfan1 day ago

I was disappointed with the "Ring Cerimony". In my opinion, each of the ladies deserved at least a paragraph. It almost felt like Sarah was the main actress and the rest were the supporting cast.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userRonanJWilkerson@RonanJWilkerson
An interested reader still trying to wrap his head around the idea people are loving his work. If you are interested in earlier access, or the Character Sketches with images for the characters in Bunker and DiD, check out my Patreon page. https://patreon.com/Ronan332 Releas...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES