The Christmas Bonus

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Decision made then. That was fairly painless this year, well done Ben and Belinda. I'll let you know what the partners say this afternoon before we leave," Nick spoke with authority, "Now how are the timelines for the real events coming along?"

The meeting dragged on for another hour as they each spoke about the projects they were working on. Belinda paid special attention and asked a lot of questions so as to catch up after her absences. She could feel Phil's impatience aiming its acerbic tongue at her, and she stopped asking questions and just tried to remember the things she needed to know.

Finally, back out at her desk Belinda went through all her notes again. She knew no one would blame her for lagging behind on some of the event organisation, but she hated letting the team down. She watched as Nick left for lunch time meeting with the partners and then buried herself in her work again. Her phone buzzed several minutes later, and she blushed looking at the message briefly and then hid it to savour later when she was on her own.

"You look lovely today. I found the neckline particularly distracting during those first two presentations." She could almost hear him say the words in that amused tone he so often used. While the message made her happy it also created a sense of anxiety that she catch up on everything faster so as not to let him, more so than anyone else, down.

Of all the people who came to her aid it was Stacey who came and sat with her and brought her up to speed. She had a large secretarial pad in which she had been taking notes just as Belinda had suggested weeks ago.

Nick came back late that afternoon and called the team into the conference room. Once they were all gathered he looked at them seriously. "Silver Screen has been given an enthusiastic go ahead, however, the timeline is going to be tighter than we originally thought and the dates that have been tentatively booked will have to change."

There were arguments about the feasibility of going ahead now and how to best approach the division of work. Nick took control of the situation. "Belinda send Mark your presentation to tweak for the invitation with the new date. Mark run it past Ben and then me before it gets sent out. Stacey and Belinda spend tomorrow rebooking everything for the new date. Ben stick with Phil and Dom on the planned events as you have done most of the work on them, and they are of higher priority than the Christmas party. Mark will join you as soon as he is done with the invitation," Nick looked at the stunned group. He usually led by letting them all come to an agreement. It was rare that he showed just what a good team leader he was in a crunch because situations like these rarely arose in his teams.

No one argued. Instead, they discussed plans of attack and wrote out lists and itineraries for the following day. The conference room emptied quickly, and Nick watched as they went about making everything work for him. He was proud of this team. They were a cohesive unit despite the varying personalities and abilities. He wasn't sure how to tell them he had just been offered a partnership and wouldn't lead them again next year. He smiled as he watched Belinda with Stacey, he knew how to tell her though, and he was looking forward to it.

"Let me give you a ride home?" Nick pressed send after typing the message into his phone and looked out of the plate glass wall that separated him from his team.

He saw her check her phone and respond with a simple word, "Yes."

They had all worked late, and Nick finally told them all to leave an hour after they should have left the building.

"It's late," Ben said. "Do you want a lift?"

"No, I'm fine. Nick already offered," Belinda said quietly not wanting anyone else to hear.

"He's a good guy. See you tomorrow," Ben touched her shoulder in a small sign of affection and walked after the others to the elevators.

Nick waited another five minutes after seeing the others leave before emerging from his office. "Ready to go?" He asked happily.

"Whenever you are," she returned his smile and they walk side by side toward the elevators.

Once they had settled into his car, and he had pulled out of the parking garage he asked, "Dinner?"

"Are you sure we should? I mean... You're my boss giving me a lift home," she was enjoying the attention he gave her, but she was still unsure about the whole dating her boss thing and how it could backfire on her."

"Yes I am sure we should, I have some news that might make this a whole lot easier for both of us," he turned his lazy smile on her.

"Do tell," She said curiously.

"Over dinner?" He asked again.

"Alright, but only because I am curious now," she gave a small laugh. "Can we make it somewhere out of the way?" She said softly as she reminded herself yet again that she had far more to lose than him in this situation.

"I know just the place," he pulled onto the freeway and headed south. He manoeuvred through a small business district and down a surprisingly well it laneway before pulling up across from a tiny Italian restaurant.

"This place isn't very well known, but they have the best food," Nick said enthusiasticly as he climbed from the car. He walked around to take her by the hand before they crossed the street.

"It does look cosy," she smiled as they were greeted warmly and shown to a table.

"So what's your news?" Belinda asked somewhat impatiently once the waiter had taken their drink orders and left them to browse the menu.

"Let's decided what we want to eat and order first, so the waiter doesn't continue to hover and interrupt us," Nick replied knowing her curiosity was killing her.

She let out a large sigh but began to study the menu. She loved Italian food and found the choice hard to make. "What are you having?" She asked as Nick put down his menu.

"The linguini Del Mare," he said, "What about you?"

"Would you think I am boring if I went for the lasagne? I am suddenly craving it," she asked.

"No way. Why would I care if that's what you want?" He chuckled, "I don't expect you to change a thing for me, and I highly doubt I would ever find you boring. I believe you called yourself interesting, and I agree," his smile was genuine as he said it.

"I did?" She looked surprised.

"We were discussing your style at the time but yes you did," he nodded. The waiter returned with their drinks and some bread Nick had ordered with them and took their order for their meals.

"Okay, we have our drinks, and the waiter has our order," Belinda said. "Spill this news of yours."

"I've been offered a partnership at work," Nick said casually as if it was something that happened every day.

"What!" Belinda was stunned, "I mean congratulations!" she recovered but the look of surprise stayed on her face.

"Thank you," Nick grinned, "It's a hefty buy-in, but I can handle it and I'll make it back in the first year." He was voicing his thoughts out loud. "The best part of it is that I won't be your team leader anymore."

"You're leaving the team? But it's your team! What will happen to everyone now?" She could feel her anxiety rise with each question.

"Someone else will take over my portfolio on the ground level, and I will oversee it from the top," he explained. "I'll still be around it's just that I won't be your direct supervisor. You'll have another line manager." He was confused by her tone he had thought she would be as happy as he was about not being in the same office together.

"Oh God, it's going to be Phil isn't it? Please tell me it won't be Phil?" Belinda looked up at him with worried eyes.

"Bindy, stop for a minute," he reached out and took both of her hands in his. "Listen to what I am saying please. We, you and me, can date openly if we want, I won't be on your team. People won't judge you for sleeping with the boss."

"I heard you. You're right; I am sorry it's great news," she said flatly her mind racing with reasons she could use to move teams if Phil took over the reins.

"Bindy, look at me," he said gently. "You have been given the approval to start on the executive track next year, things were bound to change at work, and this is just another thing that is changing. Whether we are together or not, things at work couldn't stay the same forever."

"I know, you're right," she forced a smile. "I am happy for you truly, wow a partner! That's awesome." Nick kept hold of her hands and shook his head.

"I nominated Dom to move up and lead the team. I know Phil has a short fuse that he still doesn't quite have a handle on," he looked at her with the amused half smile she knew so well.

"Really?" She immediately brightened and smiled genuinely at him. "I wonder what I will have to do to get the kind of attention from Dom that I am enjoying from my current team leader," she said with a sly smile. Then she burst out laughing as Nick scowled at her.

"So tell me more about your partnership?" She asked now that her mind had stopped racing with what-ifs about what would happen to their small but cohesive team.

"It's a typical management position, overseeing teams. I'll be hobnobbing with the clients that the Senior partners don't deem worthy of their time," he let go of one of her hands and took a sip of his drink as he talked. "I'll be attending a lot of events and it would be nice to have you with me." He knew he had suddenly gone from a secretive getting to know you agreement to open dating in one swoop, but the more he got to know her the more he wanted to be with her.

"Whoa there, Mister," she let go of his hands and held them both up before her. "Why the sudden rush, I thought we were just friends getting to know each other better, for now."

"We were. I mean we are," he said taken aback by her reaction. "We still have this year to finish out but by next year, I was hoping we could be a bit more open about dating. No one will accuse you of sleeping your way up the corporate ladder." Nick knew that damaging her reputation at work was a big deal to her.

"It's just that," She lowered her hand back to where he still held his on the table. "I like this whole take it slow getting to know you thing we have at the moment. I am enjoying the flirting and having a secret. It's good that it won't matter so much if we get found out next year, but for now can we just keep whatever this is, away from work."

"You got it," he said softly regretting how he handled this evening, for a moment there he thought she was about to tell him that she wasn't interested in dating him at all.

"Thank you," she said and took a sip of her drink. "I do like what I know about you so far and I just don't want to ruin it by worrying about what the team thinks."

This time you're right," Nick agreed with her. "I know I am rushing you a bit but in my defence I am a little surprised that a beautiful young woman like yourself is interested in getting to know me better at all. I don't want you to change your mind."

"You realise your quite the eligible bachelor yourself," Belinda laughed softly, "I am sure I don't need to remind you of my friend Alison." She stopped speaking as the waiter placed their meals before them, and they ordered fresh drinks.

They chatted quietly about any other topics aside of work laughing at shared experiences of growing up in the same town despite the disparity in their ages. At one point, their laughter rang out making other dinners look in their direction but mostly they spoke I hushed tones.

They left the restaurant as they had arrived hand in hand and on the way home Nick took the turn up to the local lookout they had been talking about over dinner. Realising where they were going Belinda gasped and looked at him. She was about to protest when he cut her off and chuckling said, "Aw come on Bindy. All the other kids are doing it." She dissolved into giggles as they made their way up the dark winding road to the top of the small hill.

There were a few cars spaced out around the flat top of the hill that served as a lookout in days gone by. Nick pulled up at a spot not close to anyone else but with a spectacular view of the city. Shutting off the engine, he left the radio on filling the car with a dull green glow and took her hand as they stared out at the twinkling lights.

"I guess it's too much to hope that you put out on the first date," Nick chuckled softly.

"I don't think I have ever done it in a car, and I am in no hurry to remedy that situation," Belinda wrinkled her nose. "If you play your cards right though I might let you get to first base," she grinned.

"I never understood the bases analogy, I wasn't lucky with the girls back then," he turned to look toward her, ""But I think I can wing it." He leant over and kissed her, his hand moving to cup her cheek as the kiss deepened.

"I bet you bring all your dates up here," Belinda broke the kiss and stared into his eyes.

"Sure, I'm a smooth operator like that," he bent his head to kiss her again and lowered his hand trailing it down her neck and over her shoulder. He felt her hand touch his halting his movement a moment before she broke the kiss again.

"You're getting into second base territory there," she used a warning tone that made him chuckle.

"I better get you home before things get out of hand then," he grinned and sat back up adjusting himself carefully.

"Thank you," Belinda smiled and leaned over to kiss him again. "Tonight has been wonderful." She looked out over the city one last time before they drove off.

*****

The following weeks at work had become chaotic with the teams working on several events simultaneously. Nick and Belinda continued their flirting via text message and evening phone calls with the occasional ride home and dinner on nights she worked late. If anyone noticed anything, they never acknowledged it but Belinda was still very careful to hide her phone from prying eyes.

The events themselves became like dates as they usually found a few minutes to sneak away together, and although they were seen to leave separately, Nick always drove her home. Even though they continued to get closer, Belinda never let him get very far past second base. She was enjoying taking everything slowly though as time wore on she could tell Nick was becoming frustrated.

It was closing in on the date for the Christmas party and when most of the teams would take annual leave aside of a few who had to work on New Year events. Belinda was glad her team had taken on the Christmas ones instead, and she looked forward to the break. She still hoped to win the Christmas bonus for Inspiring Young Women, but she wasn't as desperate about it now that she had Nick.

After an event a few days before the Christmas party he drove her home as had become their practise. Having made the arrangements that day for a secret rendezvous, she turned to Nick as he pulled up outside her place and shut off the engine with a grin.

"I have something for you," she smiled.

"A cure for blue balls," he groaned exaggeratedly.

"Sort of," she pulled an envelope from her handbag and handed it to him. Belinda waited for him to open it and scan the contents. "The cure will more than likely be in that hotel room after the Christmas party."

"You're not worried that the people at work will find out?" He asked surprised.

"There are plenty of rooms in that hotel how would they know we shared one?" she smiled slyly.

"I know I moan and groan a lot, but I'm a guy it's what we do. You don't have to do this if you're not ready," he gave her an out.

"I know," she leaned over and kissed him deeply. "Now you do too. Sweet dreams," she giggled and stepped out of his car hearing his groan.

The next few days flew by in a rush as last minute preparations meant they were all on the go. It was important to them all to impress the other teams as they had not yet heard what would be happening the following year once Nick became a partner. Several team members had already had offers from other senior executives to join their teams, but the small group had decided to try and stick together as a team.

Each time there was a team meeting around this sort of topic Stacey remained strangely quiet or excused herself from the room. More out of curiosity than concern Belinda followed her one day and found her sitting near the water cooler looking down an empty corridor.

"Stacey what's going on with you lately?" Belinda asked quietly. "You not your usual bubbly self."

"I'm really gonna miss you next year," Stacey stood up and hugged Belinda tightly. "I didn't think it would affect me so much but I will even miss Phil's constant eye rolling." She said sadly her eyes becoming glassy.

"What do you mean, were sticking together next year, all of us," Belinda said patting Stacey's back.

"Not me," Stacey said with certainty. Belinda looked at her critically. "I haven't been entirely honest with everyone on the team, but I was warned not to be." She said in hushed tones. Belinda could hear the wariness in the other woman's voice.

"Hey, wanna come with me for my finally costume fitting?" Belinda said cheerily, "If we ask Nick nicely we could leave early and if you feel like we can stop for a coffee before going home."

"Hell yes, I have been dying to see your costume!" Stacey brightened immediately.

"Let's go tell the guys we need some girl time," Belinda laughed and guided Stacey back into the conference room.

The girl's left the guys to finish up for the day and hurried from the building. It was rare that Belinda left early, particularly for something as mundane as a costume fitting. She had justified it by saying to their stunned expressions that she and Stacey had bigger things to worry about than whether their tux was dry cleaned or not.

"I warn you it won't look as good without the hair and make-up and jewellery," Belinda smiled as she walked with Stacey. The walked quickly towards the seamstress she had chosen to remake an outfit she had found on the shopping trip she had gone on with her friends.

"I have a great imagination," Stacey grinned. "Thank you for bringing me, I don't have that many people I count as friends but you are one of them."

The seamstress put the dress into the dressing room for her, and Belinda pulled a pair of black stilettos from her tote bag, leaving the bag with Stacey. It took about forty-five minutes for the final adjustments to be made and the alterations to be marked out.

"I know exactly what you need to complete that outfit," Stacey said as they left the small shop. "I bet you haven't even thought about it, come with me." She grabbed Belinda's hand and ran down the street laughing, "I hope we make it before they shut!" After running for about ten minutes, Stacey finally pulled her into an old tobacconist store she had never noticed before.

"Hey Stan," Stacey said cheerily.

"Where you been girl?" An ancient looking man stood up from behind the counter and greeted her.

"Making an honest living for a change," she winked. "You always made an honest living just some folks didn't know any better. Never short changed a customer that I heard about." He barked with a throaty laugh that turned into a breathless cough.

Belinda watched intrigued by the conversation as Stacey asked for a long black cigarette holder with a decorative gold and white end and after paying for it handed it to Belinda with a grin.

"Bet you didn't think about that, but it will make the costume trust me," Stacey said happily. "Thanks, Stan," she blew him a kiss and he mimicked catching it in mid-air and putting it in his pocket, or at least that is what Belinda hoped he was doing.

"Let's go grab a drink," Belinda said. Her curiosity about Stacey had peaked with what had just happened, and she still wanted to get to the bottom of what was going on with her at work.

1...345678