The Chronicles: Notomol Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Now, I may have made you think that Nafni was some kind of failure. The Izumyrians hadn't particularly cared for his renditions of their popular songs. Nafni's confidence had been shaken. He was also saddened by his past behaviour, especially when he compared it to the conduct of Adrastas and Obran.

But Nafni was a guslar. He could pitch his voice to carry, or give it that extra authoritative timbre. He was a performer, and he hadn't lost any of his craft.

He'd also chosen his moment perfectly. Asimir had the option to be filled with arrows, or to listen to the guslar. The choice was a fairly easy one.

- "I... I didn't know."

- "Of course not." said Nafni. "And I must apologize for the over-zealousness of the commander of my escort. But that woman is in fact his sister. And these women are all warriors. We hope to remind the Uplanders of their tradition of producing female heroes. You must have heard of Payl, the Shining One. Really? You should pay more attention to the classics, Hospodar. Have you not heard Borna's Bucket...?"

Nafni simply took over. Notomol and the rest of our archers were able to relax the pull on their bowstrings. They remained ready, without being so overtly threatening. Meanwhile, the guslar had a short, private conversation with the Hospodar. Asimir was persuaded to march his men past, while our company stood off to the side, like some strange honour guard.

We watched them walk off to the west.

- "That was well done, Master Guslar." said Notomol.

- "Just trying to help." said Nafni.

We headed east, at a strong pace.

*****