The Cruise

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yeah, pretty cool eh! This suite actually belongs to the company. It's used sometimes to schmooze clients but mostly it's used by the boss, the owner. He loves cruising.

Cocktail? I can do a mojito, a martini or a wine. Anything else and I'll need someone to come in and help out."

"You have someone who can come in...?" Karen was still trying to come to terms with everything.

"I'm making mojitos. Ok?"

As they sat on the deck chairs sipping their drinks, Karen decided she wanted to continue the earlier conversation.

"Alright now, why the sabbatical?"

Melanie collected her thoughts, staring out to sea.

"I had a very different relationship with Nick. He was fifteen years my senior. He was a high profile real estate dealer in Melbourne and had an extraordinary life and lifestyle. We had been together for ten years.

We met through my work. He was seeking to expand his business and needed some additional funds and a quick acquisition of resources, staff and offices. We found a similar business that had been poorly managed and facilitated the merger. We added a reasonable amount of funds and took a ten percent shareholding in the new entity. When the deal was done Nick took me out for a very nice dinner. He was quite seductive and I was not unwilling. We engaged in a whirlwind affair and six months later I moved in with him. He had one condition, he wanted to continue to enjoy his non-exclusivity and was happy for me to also have freedom to choose."

"And were you ok with that? Sounds like a 'have your cake and eat it' type scenario."

"Nick never hid anything from me. He had a serious weakness for escorts, high class expensive escorts and told me everything, before, during and after."

"Did that continue after you got engaged?"

"That was a funny arrangement. I wore his ring and we told anyone who needed to hear that we were engaged. In truth it was a mutually beneficial arrangement, it kept unwanted suitors at bay."

"Did you also have your piece of cake?"

"Well no and yes, but that's a story for another time. Another drink?"

"Sure, I need to use your bathroom if I may?"

The girls spent the rest of the day lounging around in Melanie's suite, sipping cocktails and chatting about all sorts of things, just getting to know each other better.

"I really should get back to my cabin and check on John. He must be wondering where I am." Karen said around 4:00.

"Tomorrow, we get to Fiji. Did you have any plans?" Asked Melanie. "Our company has a support program for a small village in the hills up behind Sigatoka. I'm planning a visit to hand over some money to the village leaders. I'd be happy with some company. Don't worry if you have plans, I've already kept you from your husband today."

"What are you doing for dinner tonight? Maybe you could join John and I. I still haven't told him about the failed Melissa meeting in full. It might be fun to introduce you to him!" Karen said. "We could work out what to do about tomorrow. I don't know but then again John might have some scheme planned." Karen laughed.

"Sure, it might be funny."

They exchanged details of dinner plans, seating time and restaurant then Karen left feeling quite lightheaded from an extended drinking session. On the walk back to her cabin she thought about all that had transpired so far. She felt like Melanie and her were long time friends. She hoped that John wasn't up to leaving the ship tomorrow and she could tag along with Melanie to see the village.

"Bloody hell Karen, where have you been all day?" John wasn't happy that he had been left in the cabin all day.

"I spent the day with Mel. Isn't that what you wanted?" She left out the details. "Anyway I'm tired and thought I'd have a quick nap before dinner. How's your sunburn? Do you think you'll be able to come up for dinner tonight?"

"If I can get some shoes on I'll be fine! Maybe I'll try on my loafers."

....

John and Karen were sitting in the restaurant when Melanie arrived.

"John, this is Mel, I've asked her to join us for dinner, Melanie, this is my husband John." Karen made the introductions with a smirk on her face.

John was about to take a sip of water when Melanie arrived and almost choked as Karen said her name. He certainly had not expected to meet the woman he had been chatting to on the dating site.

"Nice to meet you John, I've heard so much about you." Both girls were enjoying this.

John shook Melanie's hand then turned to Karen.

"Did you say Melanie?" He was confused. "I thought it was Melissa?"

"Well, yes, your woman was Melissa but after I had introduced myself to 'Mel' and gone into some details about why I was there it became apparent that Melanie was indeed not Mel or Melissa" Both girls sat looking at John who turned an even deeper shade of red than the sunburn had already provided. They both then broke into subdued giggling at his expense.

John started to get up to leave but both Karen and Melanie stopped him.

"Sorry darling that wasn't really planned but you did start it. Besides Melanie and I have become good friends now so that's thanks to you."

They all ordered drinks, although John was still on zero alcohol orders so he had a Lemon Lime and Bitters while a bottle of Pinot Gris was ordered for the ladies.

Melanie quizzed John about his business and how it was performing asking if he had expansion plans. John quickly realised he was out of his depth talking business and finally just said, "I'm actually pretty happy just doing what I'm doing. I'm a chippy and a pretty good one. Karen looks after the business side of things. I whack the nails in!" Then there was a moment of silence, broken when the waiter came to take their orders.

"Did you have anything planned for us in Fiji?" Asked Karen.

"I thought you'd probably want to visit markets and do some shopping but no nothing planned. Why?"

"Melanie asked me if I wanted to go up into the mountains to visit a village her company supports. I'd like to go but if you have something else you wanted to do..."

"No you go. My feet are killing me in these shoes already. I don't think I could handle a whole day. In fact I might head back to the cabin and chill."

"Ok, Melanie and I might head to the bar for a nightcap. Won't be too long."

...

They didn't go to the bar but took a leisurely stroll around the deck. At some stage Melanie slipped her arm into the crook at Karen's elbow which meant that they now walked along in close contact.

"This ok?" Melanie asked.

"Mmmm nice." Karen agreed.

After two circuits they found themselves back at the elevator to Melanie's suite.

"Wanna come in for that nightcap?"

"Sure."

As they sat on the deck lounge with a glass of red wine they noticed all the stars on the horizon were hidden.

"Looks like there's a storm out there." Said Karen.

A grunt was Melanie's response.

"Can I ask you something?" Asked Melanie. "You don't have to answer if you don't want to."

"I'm game!"

"Well, what would have happened if I had indeed turned out to be Melissa?"

There was a long silence. Karen had asked herself the same question about a thousand times since they met in the bar and she still didn't know the answer.

"I don't know."

Melanie gave her time.

"I said before, I'm straight, but if I'm honest I'd have to say I'm curious. John has set me up with a few other women over the last few years. I guess I've gone along with it out of curiosity. With each of them my curiosity was snuffed out at first sight or as soon as they opened their mouth. Dirty hair, bogan clothes, smokers breath and bad teeth! I mean wtf!"

"You were...." Karen paused again. She took a sip of her wine and looked down at the liquid swirling in her glass. "You have challenged me and I've thought about the answer to your question almost constantly since."

Melanie got up from the lounge and sat down next to Karen.

"What if I had made the first move?"

Melanie took the wine glass and set it down on the coffee table beside her own. She put a hooked finger under Karen's chin and lifted her head so they were face to face. They stared into each other's eyes. Karen's heart was pounding in her ears and she could feel her pulse in her temples. Melanie leaned forward and for a second Karen thought she was going to kiss her. At the last second she dropped her head a little and their foreheads came together.

Soon, Karen's arms went around Melanie's waist and she gently pulled her in. Melanie moved her head to the side and over Karen's shoulder. The two girls embraced, their breasts pressed together and they sat like that for several minutes gently stroking each other's back.

Slowly they pulled apart and sat again staring into each other's eyes.

"What was that?" Karen mumbled.

"That was your answer to the question you've been struggling with since we met. For what it's worth, I knew my answer as soon as I turned when you approached me in the bar."

"Really?"

"Really!"

"I think I should go."

"Are we still ok for tomorrow?" Melanie shifted away a little on the lounge.

"Sure. I think I just need to get my head around what's happening."

"I have a car booked for 8:30 in the morning. Do you have some sensible shoes?"

"I have some walking shoes."

...

Karen returned to her cabin. John was sound asleep with the best part of a bottle of Bourbon empty on the side table and the TV was still on. Karen turned the TV off and went outside onto the balcony to think.

She admitted to herself that she had an initial attraction to Melanie and indeed that attraction had grown to more than just friends. However she still struggled with the whole sexual intimacy thing.

She had confessed to Melanie that she probably considered herself curious but that certainly didn't make her bisexual and certainly not a lesbian, but that embrace and the 'almost' kiss was the most intense human contact she had ever had in her life, and that scared her more than anything in her life.

She decided she needed to find out what Melanie's expectations were before she talked herself into something that may or may not be real or even possible.

She also needed to get some understanding of what she wanted. What boundaries and what possibilities.

With that she went to bed, but sleep eluded her. She found herself lightly brushing her breast where Melanie had pressed against her. It sent tingles to her core but she resisted the urge to let her fingers go further.

....

The minivan made its way along the dirt road beside the Sigatoka River heading into the inland mountains.

The morning had been shrouded in a subdued silence after last night.

After another period of silence where Karen was looking out the window not seeing anything pass by, she turned to Melanie and looked deeply into her eyes. "About last night..." and then stopped again.

"I'll understand if you say I went too far."

"No that's not it."

"I just need to know what you're expecting from me?"

"Is it a fling, a shipboard romance, an affair, a one nighter, a relationship...?"

Karen paused for a while but didn't look away.

"None of the above." Melanie sat gazing, collecting her thoughts. She had been thinking about how to explain herself to Karen for at least the last day or so but especially after last night. Finally she turned in her seat so she could face Karen a little more squarely and reached out and took her hand in both her own.

"I think I'm a little complicated but also really simple. Nick and I had an unusual relationship. I've already told you about that. Although I almost never had any other partners, he had a few. I guess you could say we had an open relationship. But I think it was more than that. Intimacy is a massively important factor in what I like. Physical intimacy is one thing and it's great but emotional and spiritual or experiential intimacy are more important and therefore key to what I am."

"I get the physical side, that's when you get to bang your brains out with your partner." Karen remarked.

"Not quite, but let me finish." All the while she was tracing tender little circles on the back of Karen's hand with her thumb, occasionally turning her hand over and repeating the pattern on her wrist.

"Physical is where you bond with another person skin on skin in a dance of passion where each person seeks only to enhance the enjoyment of the other and an orgasm is just part of the journey, not a destination itself."

Karen realised it was a flippant comment and looked down momentarily and bit her bottom lip.

"Emotional intimacy is where two people share an experience that takes them both to a place where they truly touch their innermost feelings. Sometimes ccompanied by tears ranging from sadness to euphoria."

"Spiritual intimacy can be experienced when you witness something or are touched by something that is too hard to explain in earthly terms or logic."

She looked into Karen's eyes seeking confirmation that she understood. Karen nodded. Melanie went on.

"I have no need nor desire to get into any form of binding relationship with you or anyone, I'm not seeking to change you, I'm certainly not looking at damaging your marriage. I would love to seduce you but not just to 'bang your brains out' for a quickie!"

"I would love to know you as a person who was also interested in pursuing intimacy in all its iterations at whatever times and dates are possible or available without causing any problems or issues with John, your family or your profession. (Pause) Simple eh!"

"Did you have that with Nick?"

"In many ways, yes I did."

"What's made you change sides? Are you bi?"

"What makes you think it's a change? And no, I'm not bi. In fact I'm not one for labels. They are creations of a logical society hell bent on categorising everything and everyone."

Karen looked a little confused.

"Do you like seafood?" Melanie asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Simple question, probably a simple answer."

"Well, yes I do."

"What about oysters, fish roe, scallops, fish eye soup?"

"Well ok maybe not all seafood!"

"So you told me the other day you're straight then told me you're curious. Life is more than labels. And 'lesbian' covers soooo many variables in the women luv'n women world. Think dykes on bikes, dominatrix and subs all the way through to lipstick ladies."

"Ok I get it!" Karen understood.

Just then the minivan came to a halt in a tiny village. Their driver jumped out and ran around to open the sliding door.

For the next several hours Melanie and Karen were welcomed and entertained by the people from the village. They tasted the local kava and although it caught in their throat and tasted like mud, they thanked their hosts. They ate a simple meal of dried meat, yams and a pieces of fruit.

Toward the end of their visit the sky began to change colour that seemed to be reflected in Melanie's mood. As they moved from the village hall to the waiting minivan the sound of a nearby lightning strike sizzled in the air and the associated thunder roared almost immediately. The rain started before they made it to the van.

"Hey are you ok? You look like you've seen a ghost." Karen asked with great concern. Indeed Melanie had changed colour and looked visibly shaken.

"We were in a bad storm the night of the crash..." Melanie didn't need to finish the sentence, Karen had enough understanding that something was wrong. She moved over in the seat and put her arm around her shoulders and pulled her into her protection.

The van moved back down the mountain road at a slower pace as the storm followed them. As they reached the outskirts of Sikatoga their path was blocked by a fallen tree on top of a car. As they slowly made their way around the scene Melanie looked out the window. She immediately screamed and cowered into Karen's side, clutching at her arm holding it in place and descended into wracking sobs. The driver stopped next to the site and called out to the people standing around in the rain. A young man came over to the driver and spoke something in their native language. Their driver rolled the window up and turned to the women in the back and said reassuringly that there was nobody in the car, it was just parked there when the tree fell.

Karen and Melanie stayed huddled together for the rest of the journey back to Denarau in the late afternoon. Melanie was able to compose herself enough to make it back onboard but asked Karen to help her back to her cabin. The storm had moved out to sea but the sky remained dark and ominous.

"You should get out of these wet clothes and have a shower. I'm going back to my cabin to check on John, see if he's ok, then I'll come back. We really need to sort out a lot based on everything that's happened today."

Melanie was about to protest but Karen stopped.

"No... I'm serious. I'll be back as soon as I can. Where's your elevator fob?"

Karen found John as she passed through the Sports Bar. He was chatting with a group of people. They moved away so they could talk. She explained the mess her friend was in and that she was going to get changed then she would go back to check on her.

"What am I supposed to do?" John asked before he had time to stop and think. He sort of knew what was coming.

"John," he hated it when she started a sentence with his name. "This whole cruise thing was your idea. I suppose those new friends of yours are from that swingers group. That's why we're here isn't it. To get me hooked up with some random woman. We'll consider it done, John. Did you ever stop to consider the consequences if I actually met a woman I liked?" She turned and walked out of the bar.

In her own cabin, Karen stripped out of her damp clothes and stepped into a hot shower. Her mind was racing with all the events of the day. Melanie's revelation, the day in the village had shown a very caring side of her new friend, the storm and the crash. They needed to talk, to sort out a lot of things. As she emerged from the shower and dressed to return to her friend she had some difficulty choosing something to wear. She hadn't brought a lot with her. She slowly came to the realisation that her struggle to choose meant she cared about what she looked like and that in turn meant she cared what Melanie thought. Eventually she chose a pair of linen drawstring pants with a button up blouse. She also chose to go without the encumbrance of a bra.

When she arrived back in Melanie's suite she found her friend wrapped up in a soft fluffy robe with a sash tied around her waist. She was sitting on the lounge with her feet tucked up under herself and a glass of some golden liquid over ice.

"You're looking somewhat better." Karen observed.

"I'm sorry you got to see that, but thank you for the support. It meant a lot. You're the only person that has witnessed that happen."

"Does it happen much?"

"Every time I'm in a storm like that."

"What about the tree?"

"Would you like a drink?"

"Sure, I'll get it." Karen said as she went to the bar.

"Nick and I were skiing up at Mt Hotham for the weekend. We were staying in a little B&B but we ate at a local pub. On the first night, Nick started chatting with Lily, one of the waitresses who he was sure was flirting with him. It continued on Saturday night. She told us she wasn't rostered on Sunday but she would like to have a few drinks with us at the bar and gave us her mobile number. We were due to leave for home on Sunday afternoon as we both had work commitments on Monday. He convinced me to reschedule my morning meeting and we would leave really early to make it back to Melbourne before lunchtime. I agreed. He called Lily.

We met in the bar and ended up having a meal together. We found out she was a kiwi, 25 years old, single and worked in the ski season on a working visa every year. She said it was pretty boring but the money lasted because there wasn't much to spend it on. When Nick asked if she wanted to come back to our place for some fun, she jumped at the chance. She turned to me and asked if I was going to be involved. I told her I didn't know but it wasn't out of the question. She said she thought we were pretty cool.