All Comments on 'The Dance'

by rhetthebrat

Sort by:
  • 246 Comments
francemanfrancemanover 1 year ago

Congratulations beautiful story and thank you for sharing.

5⭐

Short, intense and without argument. Facts, only and simply facts.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Bullshit! She screwed up! It's only her self-centeredness that makes her so desperate for him to know. In the beginning, if she felt so much guilt she could've told her husband and maybe he'd just go over and kick his "friend's" ass and maybe they would still be together. actions have consequences baby!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

6 years later and the woman is STILL delusional.

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 1 year ago

This is truly hideous. I mean it's awful.. The wife spends the entire story whining about her pain and her suffering And trying to figure out why the husband doesn't want to read your stupid fucking letter.

.

At no point does she mention a single word of any kind about the husband's pain of coming home and catching his wife with his best friend fucking.

.

It seems that the wife Was and is completely unaware that the fact that her ex husband went through pain and suffering far more than she ever did.

.

Does she even recognize that men have emotions?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Entitlement. The bane of every American Woman. I will because I can. No more boundaries. If I will, then I can. Dancing beneath the glass ceiling. Burma Shave.

OPrimeOPrimeover 1 year ago

Oh, yes she was

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Time to move on, Miri. So broken things can't be fixed.

Mac_LapuMac_Lapuover 1 year ago

For a very short story, this was was very good.

I enjoyed it.

Yeah, it seems I didn't need all the details.

Thanks rhetthebrat.

TheArtfulCodgerTheArtfulCodgerover 1 year ago

very good, no drawn-out boring dialogue just acceptance and indifference. No, l don't need to know why you did it, l just know that you did.

WhackdoodleWhackdoodleover 1 year ago

Rating a helpless person about the head deserves a prison sentence. I don’t care how angry he was, how hurt, violence isn’t about closing control, it’s about regaining control.

If I were the DA, I would have him charged with attempted murder. That he didn’t either meant he was unsuccessful or he didn’t lose control and it was just an excuse to potentially kill someone.

BaggyUKBaggyUKover 1 year ago

An excellent 'minuet ' thank you.

oldmanbill69oldmanbill69over 1 year ago

Hurrah! The slut burns!!!

avidfaavidfaover 1 year ago
Great

Short, sweet, to the point. The last line says it all: "I can't be held accountable, there were *reasons* !"

SyzyguySyzyguyover 1 year ago

5* This a superb, tightly focussed story. It all happens within the time frame of the one dance and yet you tell us so much in that short time, you tell us everything we need to know. Brilliant. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

this as a great short story. 5*

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreeover 1 year ago

Well written.

Shows well how a selfish person

only sees her own point of view.

But still just a flash story.

4 out of 5 from me.

skruff101skruff101over 1 year ago

A wonderfully delusional ex-wife, denial is not only a river in Egypt.

JohnAmalfi4104JohnAmalfi4104over 1 year ago

I really liked this. A short effective looking into the mind of a woman who cheated on her husband. She doesn't get that, sometimes, "why" doesn't matter. Only "what" does.

jneric2691jneric2691over 1 year ago

Classic denial.👍👍

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I like it. Cheaters do not deserve the time of day. All they will ever be are cancers that need to be cut out forever.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Short and powerful, well done!

TrustingagainTrustingagainover 1 year ago

And she is still delusional.

afanoffanlitafanoffanlitover 1 year ago

The best revenge is a life well lived.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Brilliant!

CharetteCharetteover 1 year ago

jepp shaggy defense ... it wasn´t me ... i swear ,...

LenardSpencerLenardSpencerover 1 year ago

Ha. She is delusional. It wasn't a one-time, drunken event. It sems it went on for TWO WHOLE YEARS. There is no coming back from that. Even more so that it was with his BFF. The disloyality... the betrayal... is unforgivable.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Ev did well, she was a lying, self-centered whore. She puts all the blame on her lover after being caught, she doesn't understand that she is as guilty as he is. Ev doesn't have to listen or read excuses, justifications. He found a new, faithful wife, ex-wife whore became a thing of the past. 4*

buzzsawlennybuzzsawlennyover 1 year ago

She's most definitely the bad guy

PowersworderPowersworderover 1 year ago

This was an excellent scene.

It perfectly captured a cheating wife's desperate refusal to take any accountability for her actions.

He seduced me!

You weren't giving me enough attention!

It wasn't my fault!

When all that really matters was the fact that she fucked the husband's best friend.

That was her fault. She was to blame. The marriage ended because she was a slut.

IbeSteveIbeSteveover 1 year ago

I enjoyed the story. 5 stars

GarySmith69GarySmith69over 1 year ago

Good story its not always necessary to know why. The ex wife should just let it go. Good to see the husband has moved on and found someone else.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Ah but she was the bad guy, I'm afraid. All of the factors with which she tried to mitigate her actions may well have been contributory but what it all boils down to is that when the decisive moment arrived, the moment when she was faced with two clear options, to have sex with Oscar or not to do so she chose the former over the latter and for that she had no one to blame but herself. Guilt was the price she paid for her betrayal, not a down payment on atonement.

demanderdemanderover 1 year ago

A nice short story. We never see whether she and Oscar are still together. Probably not. D

Nasty56Nasty56over 1 year ago

It feels like the prelude to another chapter, no real conclusion…

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good start.

WargamerWargamerover 1 year ago

Yeah, you are responsible too. Realisation hurts too

4/5

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

What was the point of that?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

If she had only put her heart and soul into their marriage she wouldn't be desperately trying fix something that has been shattered beyond repair. Good story of a cheater who will never be able accept her betrayal.

ender2k2kender2k2kover 1 year ago

You packed an awful lot into a very short amount of space. Very well done. Thanks

jasonnhjasonnhover 1 year ago

A spouse, betraying their spouse, is almost always the "bad guy". And, as clearly explained in this story, the "reasons" don't really matter. Only the act does.

I'm not sure he has "forgiven" her. He has set the act aside, and her with it, for his own emotional health. However, like most damaging things, it's best to remember what is toxic to you. That's about the best that humans can do.

Dare2BroDare2Broover 1 year ago

Terrific story, a complete story in 1k words. A tough feat in accomplish. He dealt with the reality of the situation and moved on while she is still stuck in rationalizations. She will never be able to move on until she admits her fault not so much to others as to herself.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Interesting. Of course, he’s right. None of it matters.

But she still thinks it’s essential to explain herself. Still not realizing it serves no purpose to anyone other than her.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Ut she was wasn't she.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 1 year ago

"I never meant to hurt you." -This is one of the most useless "Loving Wife" excuses. You do something that you HAVE to know at least has the potential to inflict great hurt on the person you supposedly love, and think that not "meaning" to hurt them is an excuse?

\

Oscar "manipulated" and "pressured" her? What is she, a child? I'm sure that Evan had things that he wanted her to do, or for her to allow him to do, I bet he wishes that he could have manipulated her!

\

A TWO-year affair, and she thinks a LETTER would fix things? If Oscar was SO manipulative, how was she ever able to end the affair? Or did Evan end it?

\

"For everything we once had." - For everything they had, she shouldn't have had the affair in the first place.

\

"Never knew that she didn't mean to do it." - She did it for two fucking years! I think that show intent.

\

I love that he answered all those who want to know "why" she cheated.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great short story about a delusionally selfish woman and a man who stood up for himself and moved on! As Journey said, "It's your turn girl to cry!"

hindsight2020hindsight2020over 1 year ago

Very nice example of self-delusion as self defense.

5*

Huedogg2Huedogg2over 1 year ago

why doesn't matter, she just want to clear her soul of the burden of carrying the pain.

Lord_GroLord_Groover 1 year ago

Karens gonna Karen.

She’s never going to find peace until she admits to herself that she was responsible for what she did. Sad, really, but there it is.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcover 1 year ago

Really inciteful story arc to a well worn trope. For those readers here victimized by infidelity, you have a great lesson imbedded in this story. Well done! 5*

SkubabillSkubabillover 1 year ago

In a word "BRILLIANT"

thycidethycideover 1 year ago

Powerful in a very understated way. Nicely written.

ImNotanAnonImNotanAnonover 1 year ago

Short and sweet, well done.

oldnotdead47oldnotdead47over 1 year ago

Short but quite good.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

🙄that letter was most likely filled with justification, excuses, bullshit and a little blame placed on him.. I'm glad he didn't read her letter🤷🏾‍♀️.. she fuck'd his so call best friend.. what could she possibly think she can say in a letter for him to overlook that?🤭... there's no amount of "I'm sorry" to fix this.. "I didn't mean to hurt you", "I didn't mean to end our marriage".. 😒ummm isn't that usually what happens when you betray your husband/ kids to fuck another man?🧐... Hurt and divorce is usually the end results... she lacks accountability... for 2 years she lied, cheated and betrayed her husband with his "friend".. she seem to be under the delusions, it was all the friends fault, he manipulated her.. umm why didn't she tell her husband when he first was inappropriate?....Why didn't she tell her husband his friend was trying to fuck her?... perhaps because she wanted to fuck him also🤔.. why would anyone keep this type of information from their spouse? Why would they allow this person into their home after that?🧐.. "it wasn't her fault"?... did he forced his dick into her? Did he force her to start lying and cheating on her husband? Was the floor too slippery and she tripped and fell on his dick over and over for 2 yrs? 🤭😂😂😂😂....Whose fault is it if it's not hers? Where is this cum slut accountability? She had 2 yrs to stop and didn't stop until he caught them.. had he not caught them she would've still been fucking his friend.. she's upset that he didn't read her letter of bullshit reasons she destroyed her marriage and happy home.. that letter was meant to make HER feel better not him🙄... there's nothing she can say to justify what she did.. there's no amount of words that can erase the knowledge that the woman he married, planned to spend his life with, could betray him like that... and with his best friend... she expected him to forgive her.. I refuse to believe she didn't wonder what he would do if/when he found out.. she's delusional like the rest of the cum dumpsters.. she probably believed he loved her so much he wouldn't break the family up by divorcing her...that's how most sluts think when they're caught doing slut things..

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Narrator: It was her fault.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Excellent example of delusion. Well written and to the point.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Typical woman. Nothing is her fault, it's someone else's.

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 1 year ago

She still, after all those years, was seeking someone to blame for her own selfish, thoughtless actions. How sadly true to life. A good, short story that tells all it needs to. 5*.

Regguy69Regguy69over 1 year ago

Nicely done! You captured the emotions well. The self-absorbed, delusional ex-wife is still making excuses for her behavior, thankfully Evan was not buying the BS she was peddling.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I like it.

The reason, the duration and the particulars didn't matter. Didn't waste time or energy on any of that. He moved on.

Needed a better wife and better friends and apparently he got them.

Five stars.

waifwaifover 1 year ago

I liked it. Short and sweet. No dressing it up.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

It was an interesting snippet from the lives of two people who are divorced. The reader learns a lot in that brief scenario, but not as much as some readers might want (I bet). This piece was very well written and moving, which was likely the author’s intent. But what some readers will see as dramatic tension, others will surely see as an unfinished story…and rate accordingly.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 1 year ago

Darn good! Very good. This is an excellent moment in time that demonstrates how some men and some women can see betrayal so very differently. That's a good piece of writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Actually very good. Better still that she imagines herself to be a victim and doesn’t take responsibility for her betrayal. Quite indicative of a particularly female condition because if a man used the same excuses he would be pilloried for having the same outlook. Our society still has to catch up with the fact that true equality means taking responsibility for your actions and not falling back on your gender as an excuse.

CriosCriosover 1 year ago

Another fine story! Almost like a BTB but the “burning” is really just refusing to let the betrayer expunge her guilt.

HikingThruHikingThruover 1 year ago

I enjoyed this one. Interesting take on the different views they had on her "screwup" and whether it was forgivable.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

So much into such a short story. Usually, I need more of a story to feel satisfied . But this said everything. Wonderful. 5 star!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

“The reasons don't matter any more. I don't think they ever did. It was enough that you did it."

This has to be the best flash story ever posted that addressed the topic of “why?” and illustrated the fact that “why” almost never really matters.

.

Well done.

.

5 *****

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

"It had to matter. It wasn't her fault. She wasn't the bad guy. She couldn't be."

This is the root of all evil.

If you can just convince yourself that YOU are a good person and YOU had a good reason to do what you want to do, you can justify anything... But only to yourself! I'm sure Hitler and Stalin were entirely faultless in their own reasoning, but the world doesn't care about their reasoning, just what they did.

The road to Hell is paved by good intentions... Consider your consequences. Consider them inevitable.

Pinto931Pinto931over 1 year ago

Excellent, exactly what she deserved. She may have wanted to clear her guilt but he doesn’t have to let her.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Loved this story. Yes, it's absolutely true that decent people can fall to temptation and cheat. But what she wont accept is that she BECAME the bad guy when she fell from grace. Even if the ex-friend is more to blame. She wasn't forced at the end of the day, and she made multiple falls from grace. She hid her affair until it was discovered. None of that vibes with being a 'good guy'.

Evan truly moved on. Her letter was still all about her. She never bothered to TRY to feel and anticipate his struggles. He is the real victim. He deserves someone that fights for him, and not denies his reality in order to feel slightly better about themselves. Evan gave her the best he could under the circumstances. In order to be a stable man and father, she NEEDED to be demoted to acquaintance at minimum. Especially considering she never truly accepted blame. If she had, there was a slim chance he'd only downgrade her to casual friend instead.

rockdoctor63rockdoctor63over 1 year ago

Nice story. She is delusional, it is always someone else's fault.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

So what is the sluts journey to be? Does she continue looking for justification of her bad behavior? Continue looking for someone else to take responsibility for her character flaws? Clearly Evan has handled the situation with grace and dignity, what's she been doing the last 6 years? Is she still with Oscar? Does she take the easy way out? FTDS, we miss you terribly.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good for him cut the cunt lose and move on to a better partner and life.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

LOVED the indifference and that he had moved on. And still at the end it was all about her,how selfish can one be?!

NudeInMaineNudeInMaineover 1 year ago

The story isn’t finished.

silentsoundsilentsoundover 1 year ago

Nice and succinct.

dcvngtn3dcvngtn3over 1 year ago

Very nice, short, and sweet. This story cuts right through all the bullshit emotional manipulation and psychobabble. Excellent!

AccelarVesterAccelarVesterover 1 year ago

Nice to read a story without all the histrionics. Short sweet and to the point.

Some people never learn.

5*

l0ver0tical0ver0ticaover 1 year ago

Their moments on the dance floor, and the moments just before and just after, scroll down the page through their dialog like a series of photographs taken in the aftermath of a betrayal.

Very well done, in my opinion...

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Poor innocent Miiriam. It wasn't her fault that she cheated on the one man she'd vowed not to cheat. She was "seduced" by the big bad "predator" Oscar. How sad! Same old garbage justification by another closet cuck writer.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Smart of you to focus on a singular aspect. It is clear that she will go to her grave still feeling that she is the victim and that is delightful. That she will continue to torture herself, at every family event, is icing on the cake!

Frank66Frank66over 1 year ago

Found it a bit cold, and way too short, but am glad to see this writer again. So many good writers here that I sometimes forget some of them. Rhett's 'The wedding gauntlet' was a masterful piece of writing, and I'm fortunate to get the opportunity to read it again.

lc69hunterlc69hunterover 1 year ago

Heartbreak. And, IMHO, he was an asshole for not reading the letter, and being an asshole to her now.

But well written. I will give you a 5 for that

thecarolinadreamerthecarolinadreamerover 1 year ago

This is a well-conceived and well written story for those who bitch about all stories on this site being the same; and a story that allows the reader to imagine the background and the both character’s lives going forward.

After reading this I simply have to take a look at your other work. Thanks for the free entertainment. 5***** cd

TnicollTnicollover 1 year ago

And that’s why it doesn’t matter what is in the cheater’s letter folks! Great job! 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Self denial,Delusional. Cheating two years .really

Mibal_ZahariMibal_Zahariover 1 year ago

The form of the writing was excellent but it did nothing for me. It is nothing more than a cheating slut who got caught and is in denial. It wasn't her fault. The friend was a predator. BOOOHOOO! The first time that the friend came onto her she should have gone to her husband so the ass whooping could begin, not after 2 years of fucking the friend. All excuses. Good for the husband cutting the bitch out of his life.

DreddrasDreddrasover 1 year ago

Well written, direct and to the point. Enjoyed it a lot!

JAFCritic3JAFCritic3over 1 year ago

No one ever thinks of themselves as the bad guy. There’s always a justification for the actions taken. The action was never intended to harm their loved ones. It didn’t take away from their love for their family….and if only they could explain why they were pressured into doing it every thing would be forgiven. And yet they cannot understand why their spouse won’t tolerate such behavior, forgive them and move on. It’s crazy.

Well done, well paced, and well told. 5 stars

Hooked1957Hooked1957over 1 year ago

Very thought-provoking. 5-star work.

Hooked

KRD19254KRD19254over 1 year ago

She's still delusional after 6yrs, she did the deed she does the time - forever. Ev did what he needed to do - salutes.

\

4.4****, Hooyah, Salutes

skiaddictskiaddictover 1 year ago

Enjoyed it. Closure comes in many ways and he found his in a way she did not expect. Nothing drives a manipulator crazy like being refused the last word.

Monagamous_NowMonagamous_Nowover 1 year ago

That was pretty dang good.

Paiger123Paiger123over 1 year ago

Often the best last word is silence. Loved it.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous