The Emperor and the Temple Ch. 04

Story Info
The Emperor rewards Artur
1.7k words
4.75
3.3k
0

Part 5 of the 24 part series

Updated 02/15/2024
Created 11/26/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Emperor lay in his tent for two hours, listening to the slowly diminishing sounds of battle, before his general, Hashmin, entered.

"It is over, My Lord."

"And the Dragon Legion?"

"It is no more, My Lord. But you have won a great victory on this day."

"Perhaps, Hashmin, but many more victories like this and I shall lose my Empire! See that all respect is shown to the Dragons in burial. They fought well but were overwhelmed by the enemy's numbers. I shall come to the field to honour them presently."

"My Lord, there are a thousand prisoners."

"I said no prisoners!"

"Forgive me, but orders travel slowly in the chaos of battle."

The Emperor stepped forward and clasped his General's shoulder, "I understand, Hashmin. About a thousand, you say? I noticed that on the road to Teshka, for the last miles before the city gates, there are trees to keep weary travellers shaded from the sun. How many trees would you say, Hashmin?"

"At least a thousand, My Lord."

"Very well, see that it is done. With rope or nails, I care not. And what of this captain of the Foreign Legion? We owe him a great debt."

"He waits outside, My Lord."

"Send him to me, and then see to the prisoners. Come back after you have given the orders!"

"You would see him alone? But he is a foreigner, My Lord. A stranger to us. We do not know what manner of man he is."

"Do as I command, Hashmin! God has given me a great victory today, I hardly think He intends to take my life through the actions of an exhausted warrior from my own army. Go now, and hurry back if you worry too much."

The general left the tent, reluctantly, to be replaced a few seconds later by a tall blond man, dishevelled, bloodstained and limping as he approached. He did not kneel or bow, and looked directly into the Emperor's eyes as he spoke, "My Lord."

"You are injured? Come, sit here, there are cushions. I will have wine brought for you, and a physician to attend to your wounds. Your name, what is your name? And where are you from? I have never seen a man of your likeness."

He stepped forward to support the startled warrior and helped him to sit.

"My Lord, I am named Artur. And I come from a land far to the west. Near the end of the Long Sea."

"King Osta's realm?"

"You know it, My Lord?"

"I know something of it. In the last two summers traders from Ephirum have sailed to that land. And now we have sent spies to the northern regions, further from the sea. They are beginning to return and tell their stories. About the land of Casbur and the City of the Goddess. And to think that all along I had a man of those lands sitting in my barracks, one who I could have called upon at any time to tell me stories of the west. Are there many such as you within my Foreign Legion?"

"Just I, and my brother. But now I have lost him." said Artur, lowering his head.

"In the battle?"

"No My Lord. He vanished one night in Ephirum, many moons ago. Taken from the streets, or robbed and murdered, thrown into the river. I know not."

"I am angered to hear that Artur. Did you not report this to the serif?"

"I did. But I am a foreigner and an infidel. He did not care for me."

The Emperor rose to his feet and walked to the tent entrance, "Bring wine and food! A physician and a scribe!" He turned to Artur, "You will tell what you know to my scribe. When I return to Ephirum, I will see that your brother is found or, if he is dead, that those responsible are brought to you, to do with as you will."

"I thank you My Lord."

"Why did you leave your homeland, Artur?"

"To avoid a marriage."

"Strange words to hear from a man, although I have seen many women run from their husbands."

"My family are followers of the Goddess. I did not wish to be given to a woman who I knew would enslave me. My younger brother was of the same mind. We enlisted as crew on a trading vessel bound for Karthig across the Long Sea. There, we heard of Ephirum and travelled to it, seeking adventure."

"Fascinating," said the Emperor. "I have so many questions. More than can possibly be asked on this day. I would sit with you again, Artur, and soon. But now we must address more pressing matters____"

At that moment there was a commotion outside, the sound of a female voice raised in anger; "Brother! Brother! Get out of my way you fool!". A finely dressed woman of Ephirum burst into the tent, followed by a distraught guard who said, "I apologize My Lord, I could not stop her!"

"I have just seen Hashmin by the Teshka road," the woman cried, waving her finger at the Emperor. "He is putting the prisoners to death! How could you order such a thing?"

"Greetings sister," said the Emperor with a slight smirk. "As always, your presence brings light to my day. And in answer to your question, I am Emperor; I shall do as I please."

"But do you not know their value? One thousand strong young men! You promised me exclusivity! It is the only reason I travel with you to these lands that God has surely forsaken." She glared at the Emperor until, finally noticing Artur, she added, "And who is this?"

"His name is Artur. He is the hero of the Battle of Teshka - perhaps the only reason we are able to stand here and have this delightful conversation. Artur, this is my sister, Beshara, a notable slave trader and Ephirum's richest woman."

"Why, that is nonsense!" she exclaimed.

"You are wealthier than even me!" he replied, raising his voice. "But let me explain, my dear and beloved sister. Slaves are taken when we conquer a new land, but rebellion is always rewarded with death. There is no mercy. You know this, I have explained it to you before!"

"Oh, but the waste!!" she cried, raising her hands to her head.

"Perhaps I should leave, My Lord?" said Artur.

"No my boy, stay where you are. It is my sister that should leave, if she cannot conduct herself with grace and dignity."

"How dare you talk to me of grace and dignity when your own daughter cavorts with slaves, creating scandal in the City."

The Emperor reddened, "Hypocrite! Did you not sell her those boys yourself? And when I visit you on the island of Kypra, do I not see many pretty young men enslaved in your villa? You wish me to believe they do not share your bedchamber?"

Beshara, blushed deeply, "That is different brother, and you know it. I am a mature woman, a widow, wealthy and respected in the City. None would deny me the right to my pleasures. But Kailyn is of an age to marry! What suitor will want her knowing how she spends her nights? It is not seamly."

"Ha!" cried the Emperor, roaring with laughter. "It must indeed be intimidating for any suitor, wishing to impress her with a mere rose or kiss. But yes, Beshara, I understand your concern. Perhaps it is time to remove her pets. And I will thank you to put family before profit - do not sell her replacements when she comes running to you!"

"And you will compensate me for my loss today?" she said, placing her hands on her hips.

"Of course not. But next summer, when we make conquests in the west, you shall have more captives than you can possibly sell. And ships on which to transport them. But please leave us now, we have matters to discuss that will bore you."

When the Emperor had finally cajoled his sister out of the tent, he turned back to Artur, worried.

"Does it concern you, Artur, that we take your homeland next summer?"

"I care not for King Osta, or for the City of the Goddess. And as for Casbur, I have never been there. And the north? It is just trees and small villages, best left alone."

"I want to know more, Artur. Perhaps when we reach Ephirum. But now, we need to talk of your reward. What do you want? Anything that is in my power to give you."

Artur considered this for a few moments before speaking, "My Lord, there is a lady of the south. In Osta's realm. I would have her unharmed. I would have her retain her lands and her status."

"Interesting," said the Emperor, "But a simple enough request to grant. Look, my scribe is here. He will record the details."

"And also, within the City of the Goddess, in the Temple, there is a Priestess that I would have saved and brought to me."

"Well, Artur, I expected a simple request of gold and land. But your concern for others does you great credit. This lady of the south - she is your lover?"

"My mother."

"Ah, then the Priestess is your lover? I have heard of these women, of their great beauty and of their depravity. I will have the best of them tamed and in my harem by this time next year. But you will have your lover, just as you ask. Give my scribe her name!"

"My mother's name is Lady Cillah. The priestess is my sister. Her name is Hanja."

"It shall be so! And you shall receive gold and land from me when we return to Ephirum, as befits the commander of a legion. For, Artur, I give the Foreign Legion to you. You already command it by default if my eyes did not deceive me."

"Thank you My Lord. But I have one other request. King Osta; give him to me when the time comes. I beg you."

"I have not yet decided what shall become of Osta. He has wronged you?"

"My beloved father died in his dungeons."

"I will promise only this; if I decide that Osta should die then you shall have him. Now, stay here in my tent, rest, enjoy the food and wine, as I attend to matters on the field. The scribe will record all that has passed and the physician will be here presently to attend your leg.