The Ghost Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Fifteen minutes later, chaos seemed to erupt in the conference room as the agents were telling the detectives they were transferring Mark, with the detectives telling them they wanted to see the transfer papers. Dugan had slipped off to the holding cell where Mark was awake, lying on the bed.

"Hey Lawson, got a minute?" Mark stood and walked over to the detective. "Feds are here, and they are transferring you to their custody. I'm not sure why, but thought maybe you would like to know what's going on."

Mark nodded, "You and those other two are good people. Don't get caught up in this mess. If it's my time, it's my time."

"What the hell Lawson, what you talking about if it's your time."

Mark just gave the man a half smirk. "Tell Kelsey I tried to love her."

The door to the holding cells opened, and Williams and the other man yelled at Dugan to open the cell. Jeffrey was behind him and nodded reluctantly behind him. He opened the door bringing Mark out when Williams grabbed Mark and threw him against the wall. The other man bound Mark's hands with thick zip ties instead of handcuffs. They also didn't pat him down, which raised a red flag to Dugan.

"Hey guys, wait just a minute, you want his personal effects correct?" Dugan asked.

Williams and the other guy looked at each other, cocking their heads. "Yes, thank you detective. Our boss wants us in another case, just in a hurry." Williams said.

"Sure, Elaine will you go to my office and get his belongings?" She nodded, and went that way. Jeffrey started talking to the men, while Dugan fished in his pocket to bring out his trusty pocket knife, placing it in Mark's palm. Mark closed his fist, holding on to the small knife.

Mark and the two men had left the police station, with one man in the front seat, and the second in the back. He had no idea if this was real or not, but he needed to know before he reacted. "So how long have you boys been in the bureau?"

Williams smiled at him, "Not long, not even twenty-four hours." Both men laughed at the remark. Mark of course nodded his head like he knew he was defeated.

"I take it that you are not here to take me to the federal building since it is west of the station. We are heading south, so I assume you are taking me out of town to kill me?"

"All be damned, he is smart. Conklin was right about this one." The driver blurted out, the man in the back hit the one in the front in the shoulder. "No names you idiot."

As they were going back and forth, Mark was able to extend the small blade of Dugan's pocket knife. He started cutting into the plastic material of the ties using as little motion as possible. "Excuse me, but are you saying the President wants me dead?"

Williams leaned back in his seat, "It doesn't matter who wants you dead, I'm going to cash in on that bounty at the same time make the President so happy, maybe he'll give me a cabinet seat."

With one bound released, Mark worked on the second one, feeling the material start to break away. "I guess when you kill the head of the biggest cartel in the world, you're bound to have someone coming after you."

Williams looked over at him, "What are you talking about?"

"Chavez Tejada, remember him? He pleaded for his life before I put a bullet in his head." Mark smiled at the man. "I even took out most of his operations in Texas and Mexico. Wasn't much left after I was done. Think the President wants to kill me for the money as well?"

"What's he talking about Colonel?"

"Colonel? So, you're military? Let me see, not active, so I'm guessing mercenaries am I getting warm?"

Williams looked at the big man next to him with venom. "You need to shut up."

"Why, you're going to kill me anyway, might as well know why and who it is doing the deed." He noticed the man in the front seat squirming, looking in the rearview at Williams. "I think your subordinate is a little scared you two are going to be cut out of a huge payday. Am I right young fellow?"

"Take the next exit Kyle, I can't wait to put a bullet in this smartasses mouth."

"Oh, come on colonel, it's just conversation. It's not even hot outside yet, the buzzards won't be picking at my body for a couple of hours." Mark noticed that the colonel next to him put his gun back in the holster and was unbuckling his seatbelt. Mark had a small window of opportunity to make his move, and had to act quickly.

"Colonel there's an abandoned gas station, how about there?"

"Yeah, better than anywhere, I haven't noticed a car for fifteen minutes."

With the knife still in his hand, he made fists to hide it the best he could. He also held the zip tie in place with his finger so it wouldn't give away he was free. The vehicle came to a stop, with both getting out of the car. The one called Kyle grabbed him and pulled him out of the backseat. Mark walked with them into the vacant structure, noticing along the way some tools were left behind in the service area.

They stopped by the oil pit area, with Mark at the edge. Williams pulled out his gun, "Kyle go check the front, don't want any unwanted guests."

"So 'Tank' is it?" Williams asked. "I've heard about you in Afghanistan. Most people said you were just a legend, saying you were a great shot. Personally, I think I could take you." He then took out the clip in his Beretta .40 Cal, then pulling the slide back to eject the one in the chamber. "You see I've been on RedHawks for a long time, and we used to eat guys like you for breakfast over there."

"From what I remember you were too busy raping and murdering innocent civilians to worry about men like me. You guys were a bunch of pussies who couldn't fight your way out of a girl scout fight."

Williams took off the jacket he was wearing, and his tie. As he rolled his sleeves, "I'm going to enjoy kicking your ass Lawson."

Mark put the knife in his back pocket, and let the zip tie drop to the ground, surprising Williams. Bringing his hands to the front of him, he taunted Williams with one of his hands. "I'm not going anywhere colonel, come get some."

They watched each other, sizing the other one up. They moved together to the right, away from the oil pit, but in a circle. "We've been trained by the same Lawson. I'm quicker." Mark didn't crack a smile, and watched the colonel dance around while he stood ready.

Making the first move, Williams lunged at Lawson with his right fist, missing barely as Lawson stepped out of the way, sending him off balance to the ground. Wiping himself off, he laughed, "Good move, just testing you." Williams quipped as he recouped into his fighting stance.

Lawson stepped forward with his first punch glazing Williams chin. Williams knew it was a feint, though, when the second punch doubled him over and expelled the last bit of choked air from his belly.

Williams noticed a fair amount of pain from the shot to the belly, which he wasn't used to. He was used to being hit to the face, or even a kidney shot... but the belly shouldn't hurt more than some discomfort, if that.

He stood straight, his eyes bulging with rage as he stared down Lawson. He took a lurching step forward as he swung, before he could connect with the jaw of his opponent, he felt something hit his arm like a baseball bat causing him to lose his balance. Before he could register to dodge, another body shot took his breath, this time in the ribs.

Going to his knee, Williams struggled to regain control of his breathing. He looked to his right grabbing a handful of dirt filled with sand and other trash, throwing it into Mark's eyes. Not being able to defend himself, Williams stepped forward crowding him, giving Lawson several body shots then a stiff uppercut, making the big man stumble backwards against some old pallets.

Absorbing the trauma, not allowing the pain to become anything but an illusory sensation he could shut down. Lawson learned from Patton how to control your mind during battles, He wiped his eyes, as Williams started to charge him once again.

Lawson ducked the punch, bringing a punch of his own to the sternum of Williams, causing him to stagger backwards holding his chest. Moving toward Williams, he attacked with a right cross. Slipping to his left, Lawson threw Williams off so that he could step inside the right cross and get a handful of his hair. Pulling his head forward, breaking Williams nose with his head.

The red crimson flowed from the colonel's nostrils as he wiped some of the blood away. "Now you're going to regret ever meeting me. When I'm done with you, I'm going to find your little red-haired girlfriend and have some fun with her too..." Williams pulled out a knife from his back pocket, the blade glistening from the sunlight shining through the small windows.

Lawson knew the little pocket knife Dugan gave him would be no match, so he quickly took a step back, while sliding his belt out of his pant loops. Looping it around his left hand, he made sure the buckle could swing freely. Williams lunged at Lawson, the knife blade slashing his side.

Mark took a couple steps backwards feeling the blood trickle down his side. He started to twirl the belt in front of him, as Williams backed up. As Williams lunged forward, Mark used his left hand to chop the hand away as his right grabbed a fist full of cloth while he lunged into a backward roll, bringing Williams down with him, his elbow striking him in the back.

Both scrambled to their feet, with Williams stabbing Mark in the shoulder as his footing had slipped as he tried to move inside the blow. Whirling with Williams' arm locked across his chest, Mark sent him catapulting in a backwards, off-balance plunge into the oil pit.

Looking into the dark concrete hole, the motionless body of the colonel poleaxed. A pool of red crimson formed by his head, while he noticed his right arm was facing the opposite side of his shoulder. Satisfied he wouldn't be coming out of there anytime soon, he turned to leave only to find Kyle standing there pointing his gun.

"Look, you have two choices here kid. You could shoot me, but you better make it count. You won't get a second chance." The younger man's face went pale. "The second choice is to go check on your colonel. He might still be alive. Let me go and never come looking for me again."

As he spoke to the young man, he moved away from the pit toward where Williams' gun was lying. The younger man made a mistake as he looked toward the pit and yelled, "Colonel, are you ok?" That gave Mark enough of a chance to lunge for the gun and clip. He was loading the gun when the younger man turned around taking aim. Mark went to his right at the same time the kid shot.

Burning pain seared through his abdomen, but he was able to get two shots off himself hitting the young man once in the shoulder, and in the heart. Staring blankly at Mark, he stuttered, stepped backwards, then fell in a heap. Mark dropped the gun, then reached for the knife in his shoulder, pulling it out with his own liquid splattering his shirt and the ground beneath him.

He closed his eyes, thinking this was it, his journey would end here. His mission was at its end, and he hadn't accomplished as much as he wanted to. Darkness started to overcome him as he started to lose consciousness, but he thought he heard voices. Maybe it was his imagination, his mind giving him a ray of hope. Maybe it was his wife coming to welcome him home. Either way, it was a pleasant voice leaving him with a smile.

*************

April 28th,

Secret site, Virginia

Stan Biddle waited as the elevator took him several floors below ground. He had never been to this location before, and had never been asked to be met in person. This was new to him, and he was somewhat fearful he had done something wrong.

Stepping off the elevator with the two-armed soldiers in tow, they led him to what looked to be a stainless-steel door with a keypad. One of them put in a series of numbers, and the door unlocked. Opening it, they led him inside where he found several people working on computers with huge screens on the walls. On the screens were videos of people, facial recognition running, as well as cellular chatter being listened to.

As he went through the back of the room, he also noticed high ranking officials at the front of the room by the huge screens. Two of them looked back at him while he moved and gave him a cold look. One of the soldiers gestured to him to keep moving. They went through another door into a long hallway. Along the hallway doors were lined on each side. They walked halfway down until they came upon a door with the word, 'Director' on it.

The one knocked on the door, and waited as the second soldier moved to the other side of the door. "Come in," came the voice behind the door. It sounded familiar, but he wasn't sure if he was correct. He opened the door to find two familiar friendly faces sitting at a desk with a man he didn't know.

The door closed behind him, and he was lost for words. "Stan how have you been?" The young woman came up and hugged him, with him doing the same.

"Ms. Conklin, I wasn't expecting you?"

"Stan, we aren't going to be formal today. My daddy isn't here." Lisa Conklin, the President's oldest daughter informed him.

Stan looked at the other face he recognized. "Madam Vice President."

Ellen Cook stood and walked over to the tall fit man. She extended her hand, "Just call me Ellen for today."

The man behind the desk was bald, looked to be a high-ranking soldier, in fatigues. Ellen Cook introduced him to Stan. "This is who you have been relaying information to Stan, Colonel Dickerson."

"It's nice to put a face to the voice sir."

Colonel Dickerson chuckled, "If we are done with the pleasantries, let's sit and get down to why we are all here."

Both Lisa and Ellen sat across from the Colonel, while Stan sat in a chair next to Ellen. Lisa began to speak. "Stan, I know you are wondering how the three of us are in this office right now. Let me begin by saying, I am not a fan of my father right now. He was an honest and decent man, but something happened to him and he has changed." She looked over at the Vice President and back over at Stan. "You know his misdeeds lately, but they have been going on for quite a while."

Ellen picked up from there, "I noticed from the campaign that he had two sides to him, but thought he would be different in office. It seems he has become a criminal and we need to do something about it."

"Stan, I recruited you because of your proximity to the President. The information you have given us, along with what we have been able to collect ourselves have been invaluable. The case against the President is enough to bring him down for treason among other charges. The thing is he has many people in his back pocket that would squash this investigation as soon as it hit their desk."

Stan looked at them, and was slightly confused. "What does any of this pertain to me?"

"Stan, my family is in danger. The cartel will not stop until my father gives them what they want. It is only a matter of time, he will either buckle and give in, or the cartel will do something to my mother or one of my siblings."

"They won't get close to your family Lisa; I can promise you that. I can get double protection for each member..."

The Vice President interrupted him, "Stan, you aren't listening. We need to find a way to get the President to step down before he must decide he can't come back from. He is already so far gone that he may never be able to redeem himself. If he allows the cartel to continue free range in this country, it will ruin him and our country. Many lives are at stake Stan."

Stan straightened up in his chair, smoothing his slacks with one of his hands. "So, what you are wanting me to do is talk to the President and let him know there are people that know what he is doing? To try and persuade him to step down or not run for a second term?"

Colonel Dickerson answered the man before either lady could. "No Stan, we aren't wanting any of that. You must want that, and if you don't, we will move on. I am not here to force anyone to do something they don't want to. I'm not a cartel, and I don't operate that way. Madam Vice President, we have spoken about this before, and you know how I feel about this war on the cartel and the enemies of our country."

"Yes, I do Colonel, but we need this done or we can count on this corruption spreading more so than what it has, and we won't be able to stop it."

"I'll do it." Lisa spoke, catching everyone off guard including Stan. "he might listen to me more than anyone else."

Stan leaned forward, "No need for that Lisa, I agree that I should be the one. I will report as soon as I can. I also want to be a part of this, whatever it is."

The Colonel stood and stretched out his hand, "Welcome to 'Project Tank' son."

*************

Miami Florida

Guijosa and Refugio Alanis were in Miami, meeting with the boss of the biggest Cuban cartel, Armando Cadillo. Juan was much younger than Armando, but was not letting the man intimidate him.

"Senor' Cadillo, I am assuring you I don't want to invade your empire, or your territories. I simply want to join forces with you, map out this nation so we all can be profitable in the future."

"You make it sound so simplistic, but it isn't. I have survived in this country for over twenty years, do you know how?"

Juan shook his head as he lowered it, and looked over at his friend Refugio.

"My last name means 'leader' and I do just that, I lead. I lead by example, and I am not reckless. I don't start a war with a gringo just because he kills someone in my crew."

Juan looked at the man across from him with anger, "That person was my hermano."

The older man laughed, "Such childish things will get you killed and squash your young empire. Your brother's death was honorable, he was doing the family business. You groomed him to be in it, and now you are mad because they did what you taught him to do." He laughed again, causing Juan to pull his .45 out and point it at Caudillo.

Twelve men surrounding the older man brought out their guns in response and pointed them at Juan and Refugio. "Boss, take it easy, now is not the time," he whispered. Juan slowly put his hand up, and allowed his friend to take his gun out of his hand. "Pardon Senor' Guijosa, he is still mourning his loss."

Caudillo gave a motion with his hand to his men, they immediately put their firearms away. "I understand, and I meant no disrespect, but Juan, you must control your emotions. It will be your downfall if you don't."

Juan leaned back in the comfortable chair, thinking about what was said to him. "Senor, do we have a deal? I also mean no disrespect, but we need to board a plane for Seattle for another meeting."

Caudillo looked at the young man across from him, leaned forward. "Tell me you are not going to meet with that crazy Russian?"

"It's just a business Senor."

"Not with him Juan, you will regret getting in bed with him. If he is involved, I will not. You think about that and let me know."

The two men stood and walked out of the posh beach side penthouse. Inside the elevator, Refugio asked his boss and friend. "Senor', shouldn't we take his word about this man we meet tomorrow? I've heard things about him too. People say he is unstable and could kill you just because he doesn't like the way you look at him."

Juan turned to his friend, "He and I should get along, because I'm unstable. If I don't like him, I'll kill him." He then smiled and turned toward the steel doors of the descending car. Refugio was left speechless.

*****************

That evening

Washington D.C.

"Come in Stan, you don't need an invitation." The man behind the desk bellowed out as he put the final changes to something in his computer. "What brings you here this late, thought you would be home watching the game."

1...67891011