The Girl Next Door Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I can't..." Neil said trembling, "Aditi is innocent!"

"Innocent?" Meera scoffed, "Interesting how people use the word innocent as per their convenience. Don't worry she won't be the only innocent person who died."

"Please don't make me do this," Neil tearfully dropped to his knees and begged.

Meera didn't reply. She calmly set a timer on a digital clock and pointed towards it.

"I can't...I'm not a murderer Meera...if I knew Naina would die, I would have never..." he said as he dropped the knife.

Meera didn't care for any explanations. She said calmly, "You are wasting time. If you don't act in the next 8 minutes, you'll lose your entire family. Aditi dies today. If you kill her, I'll spare your children. If I have to kill her, your children will die too."

Her gaze was calm and cold.

He gazed one last time at the monitor showing his daughters still enjoying their meal. He knelt in front of the screen and gently traced a finger of the image of the girls.

"Please Meera...I beg you..." Neil begged once again.

"Seven minutes," Meera said coldly, "If Alisha doesn't hear from me in the next seven minutes, she will poison your children."

"Promise me," he said with determination, "You won't hurt my children if I carry out your sick demand."

"You have my word," Meera said with a smile, "If that even means anything to you."

Neil knew he had no choice. Meera's revenge plan was intricate and he was now deeply entangled. He walked slowly towards the door and entered the room. Aditi was lying on the floor, sedated but unhurt.

He lifted her in his arms and looked at her. She looked ever so beautiful, her dark hair hanging down her shoulders. Her eyes fluttered open, but she was subdued and confused. But when she saw the knife in his hands, she panicked. She tried to move away but couldn't as she was drugged.

"Neil..." she said weakly, "What are you going to do to me? Please don't...."

Neil didn't reply, he just stared at her with tearful eyes. He hugged her tightly, feeling her beating heart and the warmth of her body for one last time.

"Shhh its OK" he said, "Everything is going to be alright now. Close your eyes honey, and know that I love you, I have always loved you. Forgive me if you can."

Aditi struggled for a while but she was helpless. She resigned to her fate. She closed her eyes and leaned against his chest. Neil placed the blade against her neck and with one swift motion made a deep cut. Aditi gasped and her eyes shot open and life rapidly drained out of her, as her blood stained Neil's hands. In less than a minute, she was cold and lifeless.

Meera walked into the room to find Neil completely broken and kneeling near his dead wife, his hands stained with her blood.

"Good," she said with a smile, "Now call the police and confess your crime. If you aren't sentenced to death, live out the rest of your days in prison."

"My daughters?" he asked in a defeated voice.

"I gave you my word. They are safe and will be returned safely to Aditi's parents, only after you are convicted. I want the world to see you for the murderer you are." Meera said bitterly.

The police came in and arrested Neil. He was going to stand trial for Aditi's murder.

Neil lived a life of despair in jail. He barely spoke and went for days without food. Meera had completely broken him. No one ever visited him. His children hated him because he killed their mother. He lost his family, his friends, his freedom and everyone who knew him, knew him as a murderer. For the first time in his life, he craved love. He knew he'd do anything now for a little freedom, and a little affection. Perhaps for the first time in life that he felt so unloved and helpless, he understood Naina. He deeply wished he had treated her better. But it was now too late for that, far too late.

*****************************

This story ends here. To know what happened beyond this point, please proceed to read the sequel "A Game of Chess."

12