The Halfway Inn Pt. 04

Story Info
Rowan settles into life at the Halfway Inn.
2.9k words
4.72
1.2k
2
0

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 01/21/2024
Created 09/24/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Halfway Inn

Part 4

Rowan couldn't sleep. The past day's events were finally starting to catch up with him. Every time he opened his eyes, he half expected to be back in the inn room where he had met Xeryix, and each time he was met with the unfamiliar darkness of his new room. Eventually, the silence became too much, Rowan flung his sheets aside and tugged a long tunic over his head. He often found a sip or two of mead could help him sleep, and he felt like he needed a bottle. Cinching a fine cord around his waist Rowan silently slipped through the door.

The corridor was eerily quiet. Every noise Rowan made felt like it echoed in the darkness to be heard by unseen ears. To his surprise, he could see a faint flicker of candlelight ahead of him. Someone, it seems, also couldn't sleep. Rowan tiptoed past Goomluga's room, the faint sound of snoring emanating beneath the door. Rowan made his way down the hall toward the kitchen, careful not to make too much noise as he creaked across the floorboards. The source of the fluttering glow was a handheld oil-lamp resting upon the pockmarked kitchen worktop table. Despite being such a small flame, it cast an impressive amount of light. The brick-lined oven laden with garlands of herbs was bathed in its golden glow, and copper pans glinted from their hanging racks above the center of the room like a chandelier. Cupboards hung at off angles above a simple washbasin which currently held a handful of tankards and plates languishing in cold water.

Vornalla sat at the far end of the table, a beech cup in her hand, and a large bottle of wine at her side. She wore a black nightgown with intricate spiral lace somewhat reminiscent of a spiderweb. Rowan did not recognize the material, but it shimmered enchantingly in the candlelight. Vornalla reached for the wine, which looked to be about half full. Rowan wasn't sure if it had started that way.

'you're up early,' she remarked sarcastically, pouring herself a generous amount of wine.

'I couldn't sleep,' Rowan explained, 'I thought one of the lanterns hadn't been snuffed,'

'Kazir sees to that, he's very diligent,' Vornalla took a long swig from her cup, 'I don't suppose you'd fancy some, like some wine?'

'if you're offering,' Rowan nodded, taking a seat opposite her. Vornalla stood, wobbling slightly as she turned to the cupboard behind her.

'its not easy is it?' she said, filling a mug and sliding it toward Rowan.

'Sorry?'

'Settling in here,' Vornalla made a vague gesture to the surroundings, 'to just leave everything you knew and start anew, your family must miss you,'

'I didn't really have one,' Rowan admitted, 'I was a vagrant, just moved from place to place, taking work where I could find it,'

'Nobody at all?' Vornalla did little to hide her surprise. 'No parents or siblings?'

'No,' he took a small sip of wine as he sat back in his chair, 'I was an only child, I lost my parents shortly after my coming of age, worked for my village farrier for a few years, then set out on my own from there,'

'What persuaded you to leave?'

'Wanderlust I suppose,' he replied after a brief pause, 'I'd always wanted to travel and see new places. Never thought I'd end up in a place like this though,'

'I don't think any of us did,' she admitted, pouring herself another drink.

'So how did you end up here?'

Vornalla's eyes darkened, her brow furrowed, and she responded in an unusually tremulous voice;

'I made mistakes, let's just leave it at that,'

Something about her tone dissuaded Rowan from prying further. He glanced down at the dark liquid swirling around in his cup. It was unlikely all the people here met Xeryix the same way he did. He has spent so much time roving he had forgotten what it was like to be settled down, he couldn't imagine having to tear himself away from people he cared about. Vornalla downed her drink, then reached for the bottle again.

'Everyone has their own reasons for coming to the Halfway,' she broke the awkward silence with the steady glug of wine rushing from the glass.

'But not everyone is here willingly.'

Rowan wasn't quite sure how to respond. Vornalla tipped yet another serving of alcohol down her slender throat.

'Haven't you had enough of those?' Rowan asked, quickly changing the subject.

'Probably one too many,' Vornalla shrugged, tipping the final drops into her awaiting mouth. 'Don't worry, I bought these myself.'

' I wasn't worried about you drinking from the supply, it's only that you've had four cups since I came in,'

'Worried I might be drunk, are you?' Vornalla smiled. It was the first time Rowan had seen her smile since his arrival. Her sapphire complexion lit up in an instant, mesmerising scarlet eyes regarded Rowan fondly as she spoke.

'Thank you for your concern, but it takes more than one bottle to affect me,'

she tossed the exhausted vessel into a nearby barrel, where Rowan heard it clatter against glass.

'Don't stay up too late, you wouldn't want to miss breakfast.'

Breakfast was served in the main dining area; a simple tablecloth had been laid out with a plate for each of them. Goom, Krugga, and Kazir were already seated when Rowan walked in. His sleepless night was written in the bags under his eyes as he sluggishly dragged himself to a chair.

'You look like shit,' Krugga bluntly remarked through a mouthful of fried egg, 'Goom didn't give you a moment's rest, eh?'

't'wasnt me,' Goom shook her head indignantly, 'I told you everything already,'

'Wait, what?' Rowan snapped his head out of his resting palm, 'You told her?'

'You didn't say I couldn't,'

'I didn't say you could,' Rowan retorted, glancing nervously at Krugga and Kazir. Both seemed amused at the situation, Krugga bore a tusked smirk from ear to ear, while Kazir attempted unsuccessfully to hide his grin in his breakfast.

Goom shrugged and took a long sip of tea. Rowan was annoyed by her indifference, he thought it went without saying that you shouldn't discuss intimate details over breakfast. Apparently, Golbins had no such reservations in their culture, judging by the side glances Krugga and Kazir were throwing him he was certain she had divulged every detail. With a heavy sigh Rowan began helping himself to the toast and eggs available, he had just picked the last sausage from its plate when he heard a new voice over his shoulder.

'you are Rowan yes?' Rowan turned to see a sleek furred figure behind him, carrying a tray of steaming sausages ready to replace the lot he'd just polished off.

'Yes,' Rowan nodded quickly gulping down a rather large bite. He recognised a Tabaxi when he saw one, the cat-folk were quite common customers in taverns. They rarely traveled alone, Rowan would often encounter groups of three or four on the road or camped in the wilderness.

'I am Caja, apologies I did not introduce myself sooner, the kitchen is a busy place, always much to do,' she wiped a bead of sweat from the tabby fur of her brow, 'You are most welcome to come if you are hungry, just be mindful there are many hot things.'

'like yerself eh?' Krugga blurted, immediately bursting into laughter.

'Tsssk,' Caja scolded, ears flattening against her head, 'keep your tongue behind your tusks, some things thought are better left unsaid,'

'I'm glad someone's feeling jovial this morning,' Vornalla was already seated at the far end of the table, apparently having materialised there moments earlier. 'I suppose Feralith has neglected to join us once again?'

'Pfah,' Krugga spat, 'She's on another of those "diets" she won't be happy until she's a stick with a pair of tits,'

Goom snickered into her hand, even Rowan suppressed a laugh.

'She's obsessed with keeping her figure,' Kazir added, 'I knew elves could be vain, but never to that extent. I've met dragons humbler than her.'

As Kazir finished his sentence Feralith sauntered into the dining room. The air fell silent. Her golden hair was braided like a crown around her pointed ears, a glittering azure dress cinched at her waist by a silver chord and from her neck hung a great jewel the like of which Rowan had never seen. Compared to the plain cotton and wool garments worn by everyone else Feralith looked the picture of royalty, and she knew it.

'Aren't you a little overdressed?' Vornalla enquired, eyeing her elfin kin from the rim of her mug.

'Not at all, I am going out tonight.' Feralith began helping herself to the available food.

Vornalla almost spit her tea across the table.

'You can't go out, what about the customers? You can't leave us short staffed at a moment's notice,'

'Oh don't give me that "short staffed" nonsense, you know better than any of us it's as lively as a graveyard here,' Feralith rolled her eyes as she leaned back in her chair. Folding her arms indignantly she continued, 'we've had what? Ten customers this week? Hardly a booming business. Besides I'm sure Rowan can cover for me, he seems a capable sort,'

'where are ya off to anyhow?' Goom asked, her head and shoulders barely clearing the tabletop as she reached for her plate.

'Shadewald of course, it's the only place that has anything of interest in this gods-forsaken plane,'

'You know Xeryix doesn't like us visiting that place,' Krugga grunted.

Feralith dismissed her with a wave of her hand as though her words were pipe-smoke.

'I don't give a rat's arse what that Temptress thinks, I've made plans for today. She may own my soul, but she doesn't own my mind.'

'No, but she may throw you to a mind-flayer if she hears you talking about her like that,' Vornalla retorted. 'You know I have to tell her about this, don't you?'

'I know.' Feralith nodded apathetically, barely dislodging a single golden lock of her immaculate hair. 'I'll be back by midnight, no need to wait for me,'

Without another word Feralith was out the door, having hardly touched her plate. Beside him Rowan heard Kazir mutter a single word under his breath.

"Bitch,"

Once again, the day passed uneventfully. Rowan sat behind the bar, twiddling his thumbs. Vornalla had begrudgingly filled in for Feralith, however the absence of any customers had proven her gesture to be in vain. Unlike yesterday no person, mortal or otherwise, entered for a pint of ale or plate of meal, and as the shadows grew slimmer so too did any chance someone may grace the crooked doorway. As Rowan counted the casks beneath the bar for the thousandth time that day his quiet contemplation was interrupted.

'Bored?' Goom inquired, suddenly appearing at his side.

'what gave it away?' he sighed, 'I've not worked in an Inn as dead as this before, even on slow days there's something to do,'

'Yeah,' she nodded sympathetically 'Was a time when this place used t'be bustlin with all sorts,'

'what happened?'

'Shadewald happened,' Goom replied, 'One day some Demon got t'bright idea t'bring all isles together, start some sorta government. Tisn't Xeryix's thing at all apparently, she still refuses t'join,'

'Strange, you'd think there would still be travellers on the roads,'

'Tisn't the mortal plane, no roads fer travellers. Yer better off with some sorta portal, or broomstick, or flying carpet if that's yer fancy. What we need is a reason for people t'come here, like topless barmaids.'

Rowan chuckled to himself, shaking his head at the notion anyone other than Goom would enjoy being topless on a daily basis.

'As if ya wouldn't enjoy that,' Goom let out an affronted snort, folding her arms under her impressive bust.

'Oh I would, I doubt I'd ever pour a beer straight again if it came true,'

'Part of t'fun innit, imagine Feralith wandering about on full display like that, she'd turn red as a beet she would,' Goom chortled to herself, imagining the haughty she-elf knocked down a peg in such a vulgar manner brought her no end of satisfaction.

'I was thinking Vornalla might have a thing or two to say about it though,'

'course she would,' tutted the little goblin, 'she's got a word t'say bout everything she has, needs to lighten up a little I reckon.'

'She does seem a little uptight,' Rowan nodded in agreement. 'When we first met, she complained that it was the only day she had to sleep in,'

'Yeah, I heard ya both talking down the hall, couldn't wait to introduce meself,'

'That was an introduction I'll not forget in a hurry.' Laughing quietly to himself Rowan sat against the large barrels behind him. Goom tucked herself in the space beneath the counter, perching upon a rundlet of cider. She fit comfortably under the bar, and soon was snugly neslted between Rowan's legs, looking up at him with her large hazel eyes.

'I didn't catch ya complaining,' her tone turning more flirtatious each word she spoke, 'as I recall ya thoroughly enjoyed yerself,'

'was that not your plan?' he Inquired, raising an eyebrow and cocking his head to one side. 'Or did you want something in return?'

'In time,' raising a finger to her lips she glanced coyishly about, 't'will take me a while before I'm confident enough t'take that thing,'

Goom gestured to the growing tent of his trousers. There was no hiding it. Between their conversation on topless bartending and the goblin's overt desire there was little he could do to stop his growing erection. With a sly glance toward the empty dining hall Goom tugged her white dress down, exposing her beautiful olive-green breasts. Rowan stifled a gasp. At any moment someone could come around the corner and spot them. Something within Rowan dared that to happen, to see the look on their face as this small goblin serviced his cock like a veteran slut. A devilish glint in her eye she went to work, practically drooling as she sprung his erection free. She was intent on putting on a show, slowly licking his length from base to tip with her pink tongue, her gaze fixed upon Rowan. there was only so much of this sweet torture he could take before his eyes began to lose focus and he gave in to Goom's ministrations. A sharp "tsk" brought him back to the real world.

'If yer not gonna pay attention then there's no point in me doing this,'

she gripped the base of his dick tightly as she spoke, grinning with the surety of a hunter securing his quarry.

'What? why have you stopped?'

'I'm here putting on a show fer ya, and yer not even watching,'

'Sorry,' Rowan mumbled, risking an anxious glance toward the dining hall.

'Oi, eyes on me sunshine,' Goom quickly chided, 'what more do I need to do t'keep yer attention?'

She wrapped her surprisingly large breasts around his shaft, surrounding him with their pillowy softness. That had the desired effect. Grinning like a caricature from ear to pointed ear Goom continued her show. Rowan grit his teeth against the waves of pleasure engulfing him. He'd never quite experienced pleasure like this, the heat of her body surrounding him, her hands massaging him with her tits, keeping him floating in a sea of bliss. The sensations rapidly grew too much to bear, he found himself lightly thrusting into her cleavage. Goom happily accommodated, moving with each push of his hips, lowering her head to cover his exposed tip with her warm waiting lips. This final assault finally broke his defences. Rowan felt the pressure build. He held it back as long as he could, but to no avail.

Goom dutifully swallowed every drop, pushing herself as far down as she could go without gagging. Rowan allowed himself to indulge in the feeling of his relief, slumping back against the barrels as he breathed a heavy sigh of content. With a wet pop, Goom slipped his half-limp member out of her mouth, giving it a cheeky kiss before stuffing her breasts back into her dress.

'Aren't ya lucky t'have me around,' smugly, Goom stood up from under the counter. She wiped a mix of saliva and semen on the back of her sleeve.

Rowan shuffled his trousers back around his waist. At this rate he'd have no clean clothes to wear by the end of the week. He was fumbling with his belt buckle when Goom stood to leave, readjusting her corset as she did so. She made for the corridor, giving a quick nod and a cheeky smile to someone looming in the shadows of the hallway. Rowan froze. Outlined in the dark gloom of the corridor beyond Rowan could distinctly see the short silhouette of a frilled maid uniform. Mortified, he locked eyes with Kazir, who stood beneath the arch of the doorway behind the bar. From the look on his face, and the bulge under his skirt, he had seen everything that had transpired. She blew him a kiss as she walked by, her words still ringing in Rowan's ears as she vanished down the hallway

'night night boys'

Things were about to become more interesting in the Halfway Inn.