The Halloween Party

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She said, "I'm glad that I matter to you enough to think of me when you could have, or maybe even should have, been thinking of yourself. That just shows me yet again that you are the kind of man, no, THE man that I want in my life. If I need to be a little patient with you, I know you'll be worth the wait. I hope you don't mind my need to flirt with and tease you. I do it because I'm attracted to you, and I care about you; you know."

"I know you do. It is obvious to me, and I'm so very flattered. I spent a long time wondering what was wrong with me or what I did wrong. Having you flirt with me has already helped me. You were my life preserver when I was drowning."

"No. That's the wrong analogy. You've been in a lifeboat rowing like hell with only one oar. What you didn't realize was that I've been there with you, waiting for you to help row me to safety."

He was going to love Abigail. He knew it. The only question was getting his heart and mind in the right place.

Back in Waxahachie, Esmeralda skipped church on Sunday to prepare an authentic Mexican, not Tex-Mex, lunch especially for Abigail. When Hank and Abigail returned from dropping her CR-V and fragile items at her new home, she was greeted with the smells of home cooked, traditional Mexican food. There was plenty of grilled Mexican-style street corn, Mexican chicken tortilla soup (sopa azteca), green chile enchiladas served with roasted tomatillo salsa with chipotle and roasted garlic, and for dessert there was rice pudding. Abigail almost cried when she saw the spread of food.

Hank was happy to see Abigail enjoy herself.

In the afternoon, as they were getting ready to leave, Esmeralda told Abigail, "please come again. If you want to bring Hank with you, that would be wonderful, but I hope we are going to get to see you very often."

Abigail did shed a few tears at that declaration of affection, and she and Mrs. Johnson shared a long hug.

As they pulled away in the rental for the drive back to Austin, Pete asked, "So, Mer. She's the one?"

"What makes you think that?"

"Only because not once have you ever acted like that towards Jennifer. Oh, sure, you were nice to her and tried to get along with her, but it's safe to say the two of you never connected. You and Abigail? I'm glad you aren't forced to choose between her and Hank. I think you would be conflicted."

"Let's hope it never comes to that. They do have a few challenges in front of them, no doubt. I hate that Hank is hurting right now, but maybe that was the price he was required to pay to have Abigail. To answer your original question. Oh, yeah. She's the one. Of that, I am certain."

In the car, Abigail was quiet as they left. Hank left her to her own thoughts. Whatever was going on between her and his mother was having an effect on her. After twenty minutes or so on the interstate, Abigail picked up Hank's hand and quietly said, "Thank you, Hank."

"You are most definitely welcome. Now, what are you thanking me for?"

"This weekend. Moving do Dallas. Giving me a chance. Your family. Your mother. Everything. It's almost overwhelming."

"I told you that you had nothing to worry about."

"Ha. Says the tiger cub about the tigress. All you see is your mom. That woman has a backbone of steel. She's a good fit for your father and her sons."

"They are a good fit. She knows how to nudge my dad towards what she wants done without beating him up, and he tries to do the right thing while consulting her opinion. They make a good pair. I was lucky."

"Yes. You were." She hoped she would be too.

They both welcomed the snuggling that night, blissfully.

________________

Monday was a busy day for the new couple. Neither of them was willing to admit it, but that is what they were. Had they realized it; they could point to the Halloween party as the date that all future decisions were dually considered.

Hank found an attorney and started the divorce proceedings; as he said, a fifty-fifty split of everything, including her secret account, though he only planned to use his knowledge of that account as leverage. What he really wanted was out.

Abigail did final checks of everything prior to the movers showing up the next morning. Hank pulled his stuff out of his SUV and included it with the items to be moved. He replaced his items from his SUV with other things they didn't want the movers to handle.

Monday night found them snoozing again in the big chair.

_______________

The move went well, and they spent Tuesday night at his parents', again. On Wednesday, Hank's parents took the day off and accompanied them to her house in Dallas to help with the moving and unpacking. They, too, were impressed with her house. Abigail directed the proceedings, while Hank and Pete alternated between final furniture adjustments and unpacking. Mer was busy setting up the kitchen and dining areas, knowing that Abigail would likely rearrange some things later. Abigail ensured their 'snuggle chair' plus ottoman was set up in a location to ensure maximum usage.

When Pete was helping Hank with what was to be his bedroom, his father gave him a skeptical look. Hank told him, "I know you're probably thinking that this is all a pretense, since if I'm living in her house, why am I not sleeping in her bed. I'm trying to do this the right way, Dad. If she and I are to have a real relationship, I don't want it to be based just on sex. I already care for her, greatly. I need a little more time before, well... you know."

His dad understood.

The rest of the week was spent with Abigail and Hank finishing up the unpacking and doing a little light shopping for the new house. They continued to enjoy their time together and had made a ritual of snuggling in their chair each evening. Hank was careful to keep their physical affection limited because he knew it would only take a tiny spark of kissing or touching to turn into an inferno of passion.

At the end of the week he received two interesting phone calls. The first was from his attorney.

"Hank, her attorney has contacted me, and she's going to demand counseling."

"You've got to be kidding. I don't want anything to do with her, and she knows this."

"Doesn't matter. She can drag this out for a while, and even get a judge to mandate counseling. With her family connections, that is a fairly small request and is likely to happen."

"What do you recommend?"

"I recommend you talk to her or her parents. Try to reason with them. I'll sit tight here until you do."

"Okay. Thanks." Damn.

The second call was much more interesting.

In a thick Texas accent he heard, "Hank, this is Spencer Wilcox. Got a minute?"

"Sure, Mr. Wilcox. What's on your mind."

"A little birdie informed me that Richard pleaded out and only had to serve two weeks and pay a $50,000 fine. I'm stunned that he got off that easily, especially compared to what he cost me. I've already talked to Bud, and he and I are planning on getting a little payback. I was wondering if you were game?"

"I'm listening. Talk to me."

So he did....

__________________

Their first week of work, post move, went well for both of them. Hank began the transition away from Austin based projects onto a new Dallas high-rise building.

Abigail came home on the second day excited to tell Hank what had happened.

"Hank, guess who my first client is?"

"I don't know, who?"

"Mr. Wilcox! He called Gail and apologized. Since he is short-staffed now, he needs us to help with some existing clients. Gail is going down to meet with him tomorrow. I never liked Richard, but I always liked Mr. Wilcox. He will be a good client for us."

Hank asked, "Do you have to go to Austin?"

"No. Thank goodness. Gail is going to handle all of that."

"I'm happy for you. This is a good start for us."

She replied, "I agree. It is. Guess what else?"

"What?"

Abigail said, "Gail talked to Olive. Since she wasn't caught on Friday, she still has her job. Olive told Gail that Jennifer was able to plea from a Class C misdemeanor down to a public nuisance infraction. I'm betting that her parents paid some sizeable campaign donations for that."

Hank said, "that's good information to know. I think I can take it from here."

Hank pulled up the video that had been texted to him, and he texted it to Jennifer's dad. Five minutes later his phone rang. He answered and put it on speaker so Abigail could hear.

"Hank, why the hell did you send me that? Do you think I want to see my little girl in that type of situation?"

"Mr. Henderson, though at this point I think I can call you Ron. Ron, I'm betting your daughter hasn't told you everything. Neither of us should have to, but you need to tell her that she had better sign those divorce papers if she doesn't want everything to be made public."

"I don't know what you are talking about. She told me that the two of you are going to counseling."

"No offense, Ron, but I no longer want to be married to your daughter. I know exactly what she did. The prostitution charges may have been reduced, but they were based on real actions. Actions that your daughter performed many times with complete knowledge of what she was doing. I don't see how I can stay married to someone that treats me and their vows with such disrespect."

"You are saying she did this multiple times, and that you have proof?"

"I only sent you proof of one time. I have two more if you need it. I'll bet if the rest of the pictures and video were made public, the DA would be forced to prosecute her. Maybe you, her father, could convince her that it is in everyone's best interest for her to sign the damn divorce papers."

Ron asked, "You would do that to your wife?"

"Ron, I think the question you need to be asking is why she did what she did, knowing how I would react. Get the truth from her, if you can, but you had better get her to sign those papers. Now."

"Let me talk to her."

"I really don't want to have to do anything. I just want to go away, quietly. Convince her there are other fish in the sea, or that she deserves a better man, like her boss, or that she's too young to be tied down. I don't care how you convince her; just let me be free. Can you make that happen?"

"I'm pretty sure I can."

Abigail looked at him and shook her head. Neither of them understood some people. One way or the other it would be over soon.

______________

Later that week, Abigail asked Hank, "Do you have any plans for next Tuesday night?"

"Only whatever it is that you are planning."

"Good. I have something for us to do."

"Are you going to tell me what it is?"

"Nope."

Next Tuesday he was pleased to see that it was a three-month cooking class for the two of them. It focused on teaching the Mediterranean diet and included cuisines from Italy, Greece, Spain and North Africa. It was highly recommended. Hank was very pleased.

Abigail told him, "I thought your idea was great, so I beat you to it. My dad died of a heart attack when I was starting my junior year in college. I think my mother loved him too much with her cooking, and he loved her cooking too much. I don't want that to happen to us.

"Besides, I've been wined and dined for a good portion of the last ten years, but I've had more enjoyable meals in the last two weeks than I had in that entire time. Our cooking together and with your parents makes me happy."

Hank replied, "Well, if it makes you happy, then I'm all for it."

She kissed him and they had a great class together.

_______________

At 4:00pm, two weeks after entering the prison, Richard was free. Fortunately for him, he wasn't where most of the most violent criminal were kept locked up. He did get pushed around a little, but there weren't any bad shower episodes or times where he was forced to his knees to become someone's bitch.

Stepping out of the controlled area and into the parking lot, he could see a hulking SUV and a small placard, with his name, being held up by an elderly Mexican-looking man.

"Oh, thank you, Jace." Richard thought to himself. Entering the back of the SUV, he saw an even better sight; a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue, a bottle of Macallan Enigma and a small tub of ice. "Jace, you really are the man."

Without a word, the driver headed in the direction of Richard's condo. Richard fixed himself a glass with ice and savored the first sip. "Ahhhh. That is good stuff." He threw back the rest and poured himself another glass. He didn't finish it. Before he realized what was happening, he was out like a light.

_____________

The next thing of which Richard was aware was pain. Deep throbbing pain in his ribs, his chest and his foot. What the hell? When he opened his eyes, he could tell he was in a hospital, but how did he get there?

As he became more awake, a nurse saw him open his eyes and spoke. "Oh, good you're awake. Don't try to move, and I'll go get the doctor."

Move? He could barely breathe much less move. What happened to him?

Several agonizing minutes later the doctor walked in and told him that he was at Mercy hospital and in decent condition, all things considered. He was targeted and attacked, and an ambulance was called. Though painful, none of his injuries were considered life-threatening.

The doctor told him that he had suffered one broken rib, three cracked ribs, a dry heat burn to his chest and an amputated fifth digit on his right foot. The permanent pen markings should wear off in a few weeks.

Permanent pen? Say what?

The doctor said, "Given that your attackers could have easily killed you, I would say you are in relatively good shape. Because of your broken rib, we're going to keep you a couple of days for observation, then you should be able to be discharged. A policeman is outside and would like to speak to you."

What? What the hell? Richard didn't have time to contemplate much when the doctor left, because Detective Garcia walked in afterwards, and asked Richard to tell him what he remembered, which wasn't much.

Already knowing the answer, the detective asked who would have had reason to do this to him. The only person that came to mind was Bud, Olive's husband.

"We've already spoken to him. He, along with Hank Johnson, was at Spencer Wilcox's house negotiating the terms of their settlements for what happened to their marriages, while their wives were employed with Wilcox. We've checked the Wilcox security logs and all of their cell phone records, and it all points to their being at Mr. Wilcox's house during the time the assault could have occurred." Mrs. Wilcox was there also and is willing to swear to their being there all afternoon and evening, up until 9:00pm.

"The only thing recovered from the crime scene was the disposable cell phone used to dial 911. I heard the doctor, and he is right. You could easily be dead right now, but I'm guessing someone was trying to send you a message. I'm not sure who else you've pissed off but count yourself lucky."

Lucky? He sure didn't feel lucky.

The detective continued, "Your ribs will heal, and you don't really need your pinky toe. I'm guessing you'll either skin graft the brand on your chest or get a tattoo over it or both. Since the bandages won't be removed from your chest and ribs for several days, I'll tell you what was written there. It said:

"Leave Texas and don't ever come back, or it's your dick that will be removed next and your head after that."

"I wish I could tell you that we have more leads, but unless you can give us more names, there really isn't much more we can do."

What the detective wasn't telling him was that because of the prime suspects iron clad alibi and the DA's lack of interest, this case was at the bottom of the case log.

Richard said, "We know who did it. You can't let them get away with it."

"Mr. Bennett, we aren't letting anyone get away with anything. I'm telling you we've checked out their alibi's thoroughly. It wasn't them. I'll leave my card on the table over here. If you can think of any new suspects, we'll investigate. Good luck with your injuries." The detective turned and left the room.

Days later, when they changed his bandages prior to his being released he finally got to see what was written on his chest with a marker and also the burn. He was stunned. He had been branded, or at least it appeared that way since a pig, nearly three inches wide was showing on his chest. Shit. Maybe with some plastic surgery it could be removed, but he would never look the way he did.

He just knew that that barbarian Bud or that boy-scout Hank had been behind this. He briefly considered trying to get some retribution, but Jace was expecting him in San Jose soon and as the detective said, he could be castrated, or dead. It pissed him off that no one was being charged with what was done to him, but like the note said, he planned to get out of Texas and never go back.

________________

Every day Hank felt a little closer to Abigail. Every night they snuggled in what had become their chair. He was getting to know her better, and the more he knew, the more he liked. She was a fairly reserved person, like him, but she would occasionally show sparks of passion, temper, playfulness and most of all compassion that endeared her to him. He already knew she was extremely bright.

She took interest in his interests, even when he knew she wasn't crazy about them, and Hank did the same. The love and longing that takes months for many couples to develop, gelled quickly between them; primarily because Abigail felt like she knew him already, thanks to Jennifer's generous descriptions over the years. What Hank was seeing in Abigail, made him very happy. If nothing else, he knew she was committed to them and their building a relationship.

One thing was odd though; he asked her when they were going to invite her mother to visit, and Abigail seemed reticent to commit to a date. He asked if she knew Abigail was back in town, and she assured him that she did. Though he could tell their relationship was strained, this was not the reception he was expecting. Yet, he tried to remain supportive and wouldn't push the issue, believing that she knew her mother, and that it would happen when it could.

Thanksgiving was the following week, and it seemed odd, and natural at the same time, that he was making plans to be at his parents with Abigail, instead of Jennifer. However, if he were still married to Jennifer, he would probably be at Jennifer's parents' house.

Their Tuesday cooking class during Thanksgiving week would be cancelled, and he asked Abigail if she had any plans. When she said, "no," he replied, "Good. I have something for us that night that I hope you will like."

____________

On the Monday before Thanksgiving, Abigail returned from work with interesting news.

"Hey Babe, guess what?"

"What?"

She said, "I spoke with Olive today."

"Oh! What's going on in the world of Wilcox?"

"Jennifer told Olive that she is moving to San Jose to work for Jace. Richard is going there also."

"That is interesting," said Hank.

"It appears that Mr. Wilcox is just waiting to fire her. He didn't want the lack of a job to hurt you during the divorce."

Hank said, "I wonder if the San Jose police would be interested in knowing that a new prostitute is coming to their town?"

Abigail replied, "Knowing what I know about Jace and that lifestyle, I almost feel bad for her; almost. She knows that she shouldn't get involved. I guess she is blinded by the money. However, if Jace and Richard get caught, I would feel pretty good about that."

"I think I'll put together a copy of what the PI gave to me and send it, anonymously, out to them so they can keep an eye on them."

Abigail gave him a sly smile and said, "I like the way you think, Babe."

1...45678...10