The Infinite Bk. 03 Ch. 07

Story Info
Noah's tryst with Sophia has unexpected consequences.
14.9k words
4.88
13.7k
35

Part 26 of the 56 part series

Updated 04/13/2024
Created 01/28/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Expertise

So sharp, the edges of the gems, cutting Galvin's skin as his mother, Ziradith Herald, backhanded him across the face. "You arrogant little cretin! Do you know what you've done?!" Galvin fell back, hissing in pain and anger. "All the work I put into getting you engaged to that girl, you've ruined it!" Standing in the far corner of the room, the maid, one of many working in the Herald estate, winced from the sight. She too had received a strike like that from the duchess. However, she felt no sympathy, not after all the times Galvin had violated her. "Bad enough you couldn't even marry into the main family! Do you have any idea of the humiliation you've brought on me!"

"It's not my fault! He tricked me, and she was a whore! I'm the victim in this!"

Ziradith looked away in disgust. "Pathetic. You wagered your fiancée on a duel and got beaten! And Seraph saving you. I wish he was my son because then I'd have something to work with."

"Just fix it!"

"Fix it? Are you out of your mind? No family will touch you now! Your only value is as livestock!"

"Well then tell me what I'm supposed to do!"

"What to do? You're going to go back there and salvage this on your own."

"I can't go back there after what happened! I'm the laughingstock of the academy!"

"That'll be the punishment for your stupidity, to wallow in the humiliation that you brought on yourself. Once you're back, start challenging everyone to duels, and don't you dare lose again. If they can't respect you, at least make them fear you. And don't go near Sophia or this Noah bastard. I don't want you losing and shaming me any further. Do you understand?"

He glared at her, angrily huffing through his nose. "As you wish, Mother."

"Now get out of my sight. I don't even want to look at you, you disgusting rat."

Once Galvin left, Ziradith turned and looked out the window at the snow-caked city of Colbrand. This manor was one of two, and the other within the Herald territory. Upper nobles like herself tended to keep second mansions like these for when traveling to and from the capital in their search for political and economic power. For Ziradith, it was a lifelong pursuit, forging and breaking alliances while scouring for weaknesses and resources to exploit. Her son's blunder was a devastating blow to everything she had accomplished, but she would bounce back from this; she always did, no matter who had to suffer for it.

----------

"Noah, over here!" Upon entering the mess hall, he heard himself being beckoned, but not by a familiar face. A female cadet was waving him over. "Come sit with us!"

"No, come sit over here!" another young woman hollered from the other side mess hall; she and all her eager-eyed friends.

Word had spread pretty quick of his evening with Sophia, and now numerous women were inviting him like sirens. It was a confusing sight for those unaware of the situation. Cadets from the barracks and middle dorms scoffed, thinking it all had to be lies and exaggerations. Those from the upper dorms, eyes dead from exhaustion, simply sighed as if to say, "yep, that's just how it goes."

"It seems you've accrued a fan club," Alexis said dryly, standing by his side.

"Well yeah, I mean, come on."

Sophia approached them with a nervous smile on her face. "Hey."

"Hi," Alexis replied, unsure of what else to say. All eyes were watching them, most aware of the existence of a love triangle, but no one understood the actual dynamics.

"You two take your seats. I'll get us some food," Noah said.

While walking towards the kitchen, he glanced to where the princes usually sat. Galvin wasn't there. Had he fled the academy in shame? Noah could only hope. As he gathered breakfast, Alexis took her usual seat and Sophia borrowed Noah's. Sophia took a deep breath.

"I'm sorry," she murmured, reaching out to try and hold Alexis's hands. "I did what I did to hurt Galvin and break free of him, but I didn't want to hurt you too. I was... I was desperate. I felt the horrible future suffocating me, and I was ready to do anything, just to create a little pocket of air."

The act was not reciprocated, and it took all of Alexis's strength to answer her. "I understand. When I was told I'd have to marry him, I was ready to bite my tongue and die. I know what that desperation feels like. I can't judge you, knowing I would have done so much worse."

"But can you forgive me?"

"I... I need some time. The noises you made, the things you said, I didn't want to know that you could make them. I didn't want to discover you could be like that until... it was you and I, making each other say those things.

Do you remember the first time we kissed? We were young, confused, had no idea what we were doing. I loved that feeling, the blind leading the blind. It was like a door to a whole new world had opened up for the two of us to discover, and the smallest step made our hearts race like we had run a mile. It was just us, holding hands and making those steps together. Now you're so far ahead of me, and I've lost the chance to walk those steps for the first time with you."

Sophia wiped away a tear. "I felt the same way. Going to Noah's room was the hardest choice I ever made because I knew there were things that can only be experienced once, and I only ever wanted to experience them with you. I always dreamed of the night when we would finally be all alone, the two of us fumbling in the dark, every sensation being a new discovery."

"Sophia..."

She smiled. "I think it's rather fitting for us to talk about this. Last night, Noah told me something similar. He said that all I have to do is enjoy the moment, to focus on the present, and bask in all my feelings. He told me to savor them, the confusion, the excitement, the newness, the intensity. That's what I will always do. I'll savor every moment with you, every heart flutter and new experience. If you need time, then I'll give you all the time you need, because after, I plan on spending my life with you, a lifetime of steps for us to take together. I'm not going anywhere."

This time, it was Alexis's turn to wipe away a tear, and she finally reached out and took Sophia's hand. "And neither am I."

Noah arrived with two trays filled with food just as Sophia finished healing Alexis's hands. "So, who should I sit next to?"

"Here, take my seat," Alexis said as she got to her feet.

She then walked around to the other side of the long table and sat down next to Sophia, putting a smile on her beautiful face. However, when Noah sat down across from her, that smile turned into a nervous blush. At that moment, memories of all the lewd things they did together were rushing through her mind. Steam was just about ready to shoot out of her ears as she recalled the two of them licking oil off each other's naked bodies. Alexis wasn't blind to the tension.

"I suppose it's to be expected for things to be... weird... between you two."

"It'll pass," Noah said nonchalantly, as though speaking about a brief snow flurry while reading a newspaper.

"You seem awfully calm about this."

"I've had more than my share of mornings after and awkward breakfasts, but I'll admit, this is a new twist."

"Can you tell us more about what you said to me outside? Tell us who you really are."

Sophia looked confused. "Wait, what are you talking about?"

"I'm sure you can understand that this is not the time or the place for that conversation. When the year is over, I'll tell you both everything. Until then, all you need to know is that I'm a friend."

"Can we trust you?"

"Can you? Yes. Should you? Only you can decide that."

----------

Noah had archery class that morning, and it went as he expected. Everyone was gossiping with hushed voices and shooting him with more weird glances than usual. A few female cadets came over when the teacher wasn't looking, led by a neighbor from the upper dorms.

"Hello, Noah. You and I haven't met before, but I'm--"

"Allison Crowberry, I know you. I can also guess what this is about."

"My friends didn't believe me when I told them about all the ruckus from last night, about how loud and... long... it was."

Noah turned to her friends. "It would be ungentlemanly for me to kiss and tell, so I can't provide many details. However, for the sake of Miss Crowberry's good name, I can confirm that the descriptions of my pace and duration have not been embellished."

"Maybe you could give me a demonstration sometime?"

Noah gave a modest chuckle, and before anything more could be said, the teacher started giving orders to the cadets. In a way, Noah was grateful that the conversation was stopped. He was still human enough to feel proud when women pursued him, but becoming a playboy in this time and place could prove dangerous. He was already an enemy of the princes, and it would be bad if more nobles started coming after him for screwing their daughters and fiancées at the academy. Besides, there was always the risk of secrets getting out.

When he went to the bathhouse, he was similarly the center of attention. He hoped to soak in peace, but numerous cadets kept approaching him, asking for details about his night with Sophia, but his lips were sealed.

"Well can you give us any advice? How do I make a woman moan like that?" one upper noble asked. Countless eyes were glued to him, awaiting an answer.

Noah took a deep breath. His plans for social invisibility had gone out the window on Day 1, and it had been downhill from there. With this, he was past the point of no return. 'I might as well throw them a bone. Maybe this could be entertaining.' "Ok, I'll give you a test of your determination. Each of you, get a lemon or lime and cut it in half. Your challenge is to hollow out both halves of the lemon with your tongue. You can't damage the skin at all or use your teeth in any way. As soon as you finish one, start another. A week from now, if you can do this in one sitting without having to rest, then I'll start teaching you real techniques."

He had never seen so many cadets sprint out of the baths at one time. After bathing, he headed to lunch, taking his seat with Sophia and Alexis.

"Why are so many men eating lemons?"

True to her words, almost a third of all the male cadets were sucking on the sour fruit, forsaking their own lunches for this trial. There was even a secondary line in the kitchen, with cadets asking the cooks for supply help and getting yelled at in response. The bitterness and exertion were making them grimace and rub their jaws, but to their credit, they weren't giving up.

"Someone in the baths had black toes from scurvy, so everyone is anxious," said Noah.

Alexis turned to Sophia, sitting quietly with a bright and sunny smile. She had been indescribably cheerful all morning, even skipping down the corridors like a giddy schoolgirl. She was still intoxicated by the endorphins from last night.

"How was class?"

"Oh, it was fine!"

"No one gave you... any trouble, right?"

That smile became a blush. "No, no trouble!"

She thought back to all of the female cadets whispering to her earlier, asking for details about her sensual night. They wanted to know everything Noah had done to her, and every time she tried to retell it, embarrassment filled her, and she got lost in pleasant memories. She had been afraid of being ridiculed and scolded by her peers, and while there had been some hushed muttering and dirty looks shot her way, as Noah predicted, many women she encountered, having heard her voice echo through the night, were green with envy.

There was a tap on Noah's shoulder, and he turned around to a male cadet. "Hey, Noah, is there a trick to this or something? Because I feel like my tongue is going to fall out."

"All right, come here." Noah then flicked his forehead. "That's for your lack of manners. Do you not see me eating with friends here? This is not the time to have this conversation. Go sit back down and eat that lemon."

As the cadet fled like a scared rabbit, Noah turned to Alexis, giving him the evil eye. "Oh Noah, for God's sake. Please tell me this isn't about last night."

"Noooooo, it's about strained mining rights between Uther and Vandheim and the socioeconomic impact of the volatile price of copper. Of course it's about last night. A few cadets wanted to improve their skills, so I thought I would pass on some of my knowledge." Alexis sighed and covered her face with her hands. "Consider it an act of charity. I'm doing this for all the poor women who will be marrying these guys in the future."

"So what is the deal with the lemons? Is it kissing practice or something?"

"Well... in a way."

Next to Alexis, Sophia's blush was so intense that her cheeks were the same color as her hair.

Unfortunately, Pandora's Box had been opened, and Noah's midday study session in his room was repeatedly interrupted by cadets seeking advice. After months of running laps and practicing with weapons until their hands bled, these so-called warriors were struggling to complete Noah's challenge. Sitting at his desk, trying to read, even Noah found his patience tested by yet another knock on his door.

"If I open that door, it had better not be about lemons!" The knock continued, prompting Noah to sigh and answer it, finding himself facing Sir Elyot. "Ah, Professor, how can I help you?"

"Pardon me for interrupting your studies, but there is something you and I need to discuss." He didn't seem angry, but he was serious.

"Of course, please come in. Take a seat." They sat down at the dining table, which was finally seeing use. "Can I offer you a cup of tea?"

"Thank you, but that won't be necessary. I'm here because of the spell you used against Prince Galvin. If I remember correctly, you came to me and said that you couldn't use any kind of magic, even runecraft. Would you care to explain?"

Noah had anticipated and dreaded this conversation, but there was no way around it. All he could do was minimize the damage and learn what he could.

"I discovered my abilities only recently. I don't understand it myself, but I can't cast actual magic, only imitations."

"Imitations? What do you mean?"

"I'll demonstrate." He got up from his chair and went to his desk, where he retrieved his grimoire. He opened it to a page and placed his hand on it, channeling his mana into a series of runes. "Water Orb." The magic circle appeared around his hand, but that was all. "As you can see, the spell reacts to my mana and produces the magic circle but doesn't fully activate." As he spoke, he cast his clone spell, making it look like he was just brushing his hair out of his eyes. "However, I've found that if I snap my fingers and cast the spell, this happens." He went through the motions and launched a liquid sphere from his hand like he was tossing a water balloon. It splashed on the table, and Sir Elyot instinctively tried to protect himself, only to realize he hadn't been hit by any actual droplets.

"What is this?" he asked as he touched the water on the table but felt no moisture.

"Like I said, it's an imitation. All of my spells have the look, sound, and even smell of real magic, but they don't actually affect the world." He flipped to another page. "Flame Jet."

This time, a blast of fire was launched across the room, making Sir Elyot instinctively yelp, but he stopped when he realized the flames weren't producing any heat. Noah sprayed the room, and while the fire stuck to whatever was hit and continued to burn, nothing was being charred or damaged in any way. Everything was on fire, but the air was as clear and cold as before. He ended the spell, and all the flames simply vanished without leaving a single speck of black on anything.

"So, can you offer any insight into this?"

"This... this is... I don't even know what this is."

"In all of my research, I have yet to find any runes that could correspond to this strange magic, nothing regarding illusions or the such. I can't even get the magic circle to appear that would explain what it is."

"I have never heard of a magic like this before, so it's possible that the runes have yet to be discovered, or their meanings have been lost to time."

"That information doesn't help. I've tried channeling my mana into every rune I can find in the library, but there is no reaction at all."

"Not necessarily. If runes in a spell will react when exposed to your mana, then runes corresponding to your magic will likewise react. It's possible you simply didn't see the reaction."

"But why can't I see them if I'm..."

He trailed off, struck by inspiration. When he was invisible, his vision was enhanced to let him see people's mana like a thermal camera, though he couldn't differentiate powers by level. All this time, he had assumed the only way he could improve the spell was by cultivating his mana so he could keep it going longer. Perhaps that was the wrong aspect he had been focusing on.

Before entering the academy, he fought members of an assassin tribe known as the Harajin and defeated them, earning knowledge of their invisibility technique. While the details and mechanics of the spell were disappointing, he remembered the Harajin mentioning a sort of "spiritual sense." It was an ability they honed for use with their technique, letting them be aware of their surroundings even when all physical senses were nullified. If Noah trained his spiritual senses, his invisible state might let him see more than just mana. Maybe the runes were reacting, but they were invisible, even to him.

"Sir Elyot, what can you tell me about spiritual senses?"

"I think I see where you're going. It's a sixth sense, the ability to read the flow of mana around you. It's a rare and difficult skill to acquire, even for mages. I know that Lady Zodiac is an expert on the subject. Both she and her..." He caught himself and trailed off, then tried to cover it up by clearing his throat.

"All right, I'll talk to her next. Can I trust you not to tell anyone about this? My reputation is a bit tenuous at the moment, and news of weird magic could make me look bad." It was a lie but a convincing one. It would be better to sound shallow rather than paranoid in this instance.

"As a knight of Uther, I can't promise silence if you become the enemy of the country."

"Fair enough."

The conversation had to end there, as it was time for Noah's next class, monster studies. It focused on killing various beasts and harvesting their corpses for valuable materials to make powerful potions, inks, and scrolls. There was little hands-on work despite the description, and most studying was done in the library. It was understandable. Monsters slain in the countryside and delivered to the academy would rot long before arriving, and capturing them alive wasn't always feasible. It was easy enough to throw a net on a wolf and haul it in a cage, but it was hard to remain in the 'take them alive' mindset when fighting giant spiders.

After class, he went to the sword training field and found Valia there, watching over cadets using these hours to further train. Alexis was among them, as always. "Lady Zodiac, a moment of your time?"

"Ah, Cadet Noah, of course." Her cheerful demeanor set off alarms in Noah's head. "Come with me," she said, leading him away from everyone else. "I thought you said you wouldn't put your hands on that girl," she hissed once the two of them were out of earshot.

"I didn't force her in any way, nor was she coerced by anyone else. She came to my room willingly, made her intentions known, and I obliged. She and I enjoyed a wonderful, consensual evening, and that's all there is to it. Anyway, I wanted to ask you about spiritual senses. Sir Elyot said that you're an expert on the subject." He spoke fast and successfully veered her off the topic.