The Issue that is Holly

Story Info
A Tutor reconnects with an ex-student.
24.1k words
4.72
9.4k
15
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thank you all for the great feedback on my first story. I was thrilled by how well it was received. I have a number of stories in various stages of development and have started planning out a Part 2 for Davey and Elena.

This story also has a long lead-up, so if you are looking for a quick read you may want to come back to this when you have more time.

Any and all errors and shortcomings are mine alone, and I offer my apologies in advance.

I hope you enjoy it, and please remember to rate and comment.

DG

Callum Dovedale had his name and photo in the papers.

After gaining his teaching degree over ten years ago he had developed and grown his own literacy and numeracy tutoring business. Due to the demand in the community, he employed three other tutors, and carried a full share of students of all ages.

At the Industry Conference & Awards Dinner held the Saturday just gone, the Chairperson presented Callum and his school with an award in recognition of their services to the industry. The award was now proudly displayed on the mantelpiece in the reception area, along with the framed certificate.

The story in the paper was a good advert for his business and they fielded increased number of calls from prospective clients.

He also received an unexpected visitor the following Friday evening.

Callum was sitting outside in his hot tub, relaxing with a glass of wine, quiet music, and a book he had been intending to read for years, when the doorbell rang. Cursing quietly, he set down the glass and the book, climbed out and wrapped a towel around himself. He had made it through the back door and into the kitchen when the bell rang again, and the person knocked loudly on the door.

"Hang on," he called, walking the rest of the way to the front door, and opening it.

The woman standing on the Welcome mat was quite stunning, about the same height as Callum, 5'7"-ish, and similar age, 36-ish. She wore an LBD which she filled out nicely, with very sparkly earrings and necklace, bare legs, and black sandals with more sparkles on the straps.

"You have really embraced Casual Friday, I see," the vaguely familiar woman said with a smile. "Mr Dovedale, Callum, I am Marian Brown, mother of Holly whom you tutored a few years back. May I come in?"

"Ah, yes, of course." Ushering her into the living room he said, "Take a seat. Excuse me a minute, I wasn't expecting company, I'll just make myself decent."

Looking him over, she said, "You look quite decent from where I'm sitting. Don't go to any trouble on my behalf, but whatever makes you comfortable."

Callum went to his room, pulled a pair of shorts over his trunks, and put on a polo shirt.

"That's better," he said, walking back in. "Mrs Brown, what can I do for you."

"Please call me Marian, Callum, Mrs Brown makes me sound old like my mother." She paused as if expecting a compliment, but realising none was coming, she continued, "you are wondering why I am here. I saw the item in the paper about you receiving the award and I just had to stop by to let you know what a difference you made to Holly. Other tutors had tried to help her without any success at all, but within a couple of sessions you seemed to hone in on what was wrong with her, why she couldn't read. She is now studying for her high school diploma and is working in a job that pays better than she was getting washing dishes and sweeping floors."

"Holly had an inquisitive mind which was hindered by having Irlen's and other Syndromes; it's nice to hear how she is doing now. You look like you are heading out, but can I offer you a drink: tea, coffee, or I have a bottle of red wine open."

"Wine would be nice, thank you. I am meeting a friend for drinks, but I'm comfortable being fashionably late."

Callum poured them both a glass of wine, set the bottle on the coffee table, and sat on the other end of the couch from Marian. Tinking glasses and taking a sip, Marian nodded her head, saying, "That is a nice drop. So, Callum, other than walking around your house half dressed, what else do you do in your spare time?"

"Work keeps me busy, weeknights I am usually preparing for lessons, writing up session notes, that sort of thing."

"That is only Monday to Thursday, it seems. What does an award-winning tutor do from Friday night to Monday morning?"

"Friday nights are for me, my time, as you discovered. I'm usually either lazing in the pool or soaking in my hot tub. Saturday is a mixture of the usual household chores and more work stuff, then time with friends. Sunday depends on the weather, a bike ride, going for a run, swimming, or chilling with a book or a movie."

"Hmm, that explains why you look so good, all that exercise has really kept you looking fine. I remember meeting you a couple of times when you were tutoring Holly, and you look better now than you did then, and that was a number of years ago."

"I remember you, too, Marian, and I could say the same, you don't look any older, but you seem more confident, more poised. You have improved like a good wine."

"Why thank you, Callum, and talking of good wine, I do believe my glass is about empty. Are you up to opening another bottle, I don't have to rush away."

"I can do that. Back in a tick."

Callum returned with another bottle of wine and some nibbles. He noticed Marian had removed her shoes and jacket, and was reclining gracefully, now artfully draped over the couch showing plenty of long well-shaped leg. Replenishing her glass and inviting her to help herself to the food, he sat back down on the other end of the couch.

"This is nice." Marian cooed. "I enjoy a glass of wine or two, and you have good taste, I'm enjoying it very much."

"It's one of my favorites. How about you, Marian, do you have a favorite, maybe one you and Mr Brown enjoyed together?"

Raising an eyebrow, she said, "Which Mr Brown do you mean? There have been two so far."

"I didn't realise. Holly's father perhaps?"

"Well, he was hubby number 1. William. I thought he was amazing when I met him, so good looking and doing so well in his job. He was earning serious money and had all the toys to prove it. He lived in a wonderful apartment, not the penthouse but it had a beautiful view, and it was full of all the latest gadgets of the time. I let him woo me for a while and when we found I was pregnant, he did the right thing and married me. He was a good provider at first, but the apartment was really too small to have a baby in, so we had to move, and the new one was more expensive. He had to tighten the budget to afford everything."

"Did you work at all, to help with expenses?"

"Oh no, I couldn't. When we married William didn't want me to, and then when we found we needed the extra money my doctor forbade it. Something to do with the baby." She waved her hand dismissively. "Anyway, he worked longer hours, and I was home all day alone. When Holly arrived, I was stuck at home having to look after her. Everything was quite different from how I envisioned things."

"Life has a habit of messing up our plans."

"Yes, indeed. I had wanted to travel, see the world, dine in fancy restaurants in exotic places, but William was always working and there was never enough money, not after we moved to the new apartment, anyway. And I hadn't realised children could be so expensive! Anyway, I used to go to a cafe close by and enjoy a coffee, Holly had to come with me of course. I would chat with this genuinely nice man who would share my table. We started to spend more time together, until one thing led to another, and I left William and moved in with my future husband number two, Eric."

"That's a shame, it sounded to me like William was working hard to provide for the family. How long were you married?"

"I was with William for close on four years. If felt so much longer than that though. Don't get me wrong, William did try to be a good provider, but Eric was doing exceptionally well. He owned his own business, had people doing his work while he made the big decisions, and when he had to travel, he would take me with him. He even employed a nanny to look after Holly. Unlike William, Eric made the time to look after me, too, if you know what I mean. He didn't come home from work, eat, and then go to bed, he spent time with me, he came home from work, ate, then took me to bed. So much better."

"I see. William couldn't compete with that."

"No comparison at all. Eric arranged a lawyer he knew to manage the divorce, and he was ruthless. I came out of it very well indeed, with a nice settlement that I put away for myself. And somehow, I even ended up with full custody of Holly."

"How did Holly's father come out of it?"

"Not as well as he could have done if he'd used a better lawyer."

"Oh. So, you have been with Eric for what, it must be fifteen years or more?"

"We lasted seven years, then he dumped me for some young bimbo. I learned he had been screwing her for a while and he knew I would take him for everything I could so we settled out of court on a deal we could both live with and went our separate ways. I bought a house and have been living there with Holly ever since."

"Holly would have been at school shortly after you and Eric got together. I can't quite remember when her learning difficulties were first picked up."

"That's easy, it was the nanny who first mentioned it. She had tried to teach her to read before she went to school but Holly said the words kept moving on the page. I thought she was just being lazy or seeking attention, but it didn't improve when she went to school, and they suggested she be assessed for dyslexia. It was so terribly embarrassing."

"Still, you said Holly is doing really well now. That's a success story. You must be pleased for her."

"Oh I am. Honestly, and strictly between you and me, I was worried I would be looking after Holly for the rest of my natural, that my life would be on hold for ever, and I was so relieved when she started coming to you. You made such a difference to our lives, Callum. It's like you lifted this huge burden off me. I can't thank you enough."

"That's why I love my job, Marian. I can help people become who they have the potential to be. So where does Holly live, now that she is able to provide for herself?"

"She still lives at home with me. What I charge in board is less than she would pay in rent." Marian looked around the room then slid across the sofa closer to Callum. "Your job seems to be lucrative, too. This is a lovely home, Callum. Did you say you have a spa pool? I love lazing in those; a few drinks, a warm body to cuddle with, that's my version of heaven. I didn't bring a bathing suit, but it can be more fun without one. How about it, you and me in the hot tub together? I can rain check my friends."

"I'm not comfortable with that, Marian. You are the mother of one of my students, it would be unethical."

"Ex-student, Callum, and it has been a couple of years now. Come on, I've seen you checking me out, grab another bottle and I'll make you an incredibly happy man. I may even take you out for breakfast if you are as good as I believe you to be."

"Marian, it still wouldn't be right. I appreciate the offer, and you are an incredibly attractive woman, but no."

"Well, really, Callum, you have no idea what you are missing. Unless ... yes, that must it, you aren't into women, are you. You prefer sausage to taco. Have you come out yet or are you still hiding it away as your shameful little secret. I can imagine it could be exceedingly difficult to keep working with children if you announced you preferred men."

"Mrs Brown, I must ask you to leave, right now, and if I hear even a hint of a rumour about my sexuality, I will sue you. But just to be clear, I like women, I just don't find you appealing. Let me show you the door. Good night."

Marian hurriedly put on her shoes and jacket and left, cursing Callum, saying she had never been rejected before.

Closing the door behind her he picked up his wine glass and drained it.

Holy hell, I think I dodged a bullet there. Callum thought. Was she looking for husband 3.0 to take to the cleaners? I can't believe her. How did she manage to raise someone as nice as Holly? Ah, that's right, the nanny did that for her.

Callum tidied up and went to bed, no longer being in the mood to continue reading.

***

Having tossed and turned for much of the night through being incensed by Marian, Callum stomped around the house doing the dusting and vacuuming, changing bed linen and towels, washing, and pegging out the laundry, and by lunch time he was in a better head space.

After a sandwich he set the coffee maker going then settled down on the deck to prepare for the sessions in the coming week. He had just booted up his laptop when he heard the doorbell. Wishing his Welcome mat had Piss Off on the other side so he could turn it over when he wanted to get some peace, he opened the door, hoping it wasn't Marian again.

Standing there today was an older version of the Holly he used to tutor. Gone was the short, skinny girl with the ponytail, the boy band tee shirt, and jeans with sneakers. The Holly before him now was definitely grown up, wearing a pale tan sun dress belted at her waist. She stood 5'6" or 5'7" tall, her copper hair framing her oval face, delicate cheekbones and a pointed chin. Her hazel eyes were full of delight at seeing him again, and her nose crinkled with her broad smile.

"Mr D," she squealed, throwing her arms around him and pulling him into a tight hug. "It is so good to see you again. Let me look at you." Holding his hands, she took a step back and looked him over. "You still look the same, just as I remember you."

Callum breathed, "Well, you have certainly changed, Holly." Regaining his aplomb, he stepped back, saying, "Come in, come in, what a lovely surprise. Can I get you anything? Coffee, tea, water?"

Agreeing on coffee - milk, no sugar - Holly followed him through to the kitchen, where Callum poured them both a cup from the just made pot, before showing her through to the lounge, offering her a seat. She sat where Callum had last night, and he took a seat opposite so they could look at each other.

"This really is a pleasant surprise, Holly. It's wonderful to see you again. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Funny thing, really. You see, I still live with Mum and this morning I heard all about her visit last night. She wasn't happy with you, you know. She told me she had read a story about you in the paper and how you looked so fit in the photo she decided to see if you really did look that good for a man of your age."

"Ouch, I'm not in my dotage, you know."

"No indeed. Ma was quite taken with you, apparently; said you were in better shape than many men half your age. She decided it would be rude of her not to help you drink your wine and see where the evening took her." With a conspiratorial smile, she continued, "She had designs on your body, you know? She told me she suggested spending time in your spa pool but just like that you spurned her. And that just doesn't happen to my mum. No one has ever turned her down, except you. She decided you must be asexual or have low levels of testosterone or something; it was you, of course, not her."

"Oh dear, when I showed her the door, I could tell she wasn't happy with me."

"I had to really struggle not to laugh out loud when she was telling me about it. She was getting all worked up again, effing and blinding and calling you a host of names, and none of them complimentary. I think you may have bruised her ego. After hearing all about it I decided to come over to see my favorite prof and thank you for making my day. It was the most fun I have had for far too long."

"I'm pleased to have been the cause of your entertainment."

"It was classic. But let me tell you something about my mum. For as long as I can remember she has drummed into me that men are weak willed, led around by their ... um ... hormones, and can't be trusted."

"Well heck, that's rather scathing."

"It gets better, Mr D. When I was a teenager I had a friend, Phil, who I was quite keen on. He was a couple of years older than me, about sixteen I think, somewhere around there anyway. Mum seduced him and let me know about it just to prove her point.

"Bloody hell, Holly. That's a bit extreme. In fact, that's really disturbing. Is she still that radical?"

"She's even worse. What she did with Phil sickened me. But now, she may give men what they want, but there is always a cost. Both her husband's got taken for as much as she could get out of them, and men she has gone out with since have all been bled dry before being discarded by her. My mum is not a nice person. You have no idea how pleased I was to hear you didn't succumb to her charms. I always thought you were an honourable man and last night proved it."

"I don't know about it being honourable, Holly; I just didn't like her. I know she's your Mum, but she was simply too obvious, it was clear she had an agenda, but I like to have a say in things. I wasn't going to be her plaything. Ha, now how's that for a typical male role reversal thing."

"She is a good-looking woman, but she is only looking out for herself, she has never been faithful, not even to my dad, her first husband."

"Yes, I picked up on that when she was telling me about him. She showed me that she may be nice on the outside, but she isn't nice on the inside."

"Damn skippy, Mr D."

"But enough about her, tell me about you; how are you doing, what are you up to with yourself? Your mum said you are working on your high school diploma and have a good job. That's great to hear."

"I wouldn't say it's a great job but it sure beats doing dishes in a diner and sweeping floors. And pays better. I can afford to treat myself occasionally now. Do you like my hair, I went to a salon for the first time a week ago."

Callum looked her over again, "I do, it really frames your face and lets your eyes shine, and you have amazing eyes. People could get lost in your eyes, Holly."

She blushed and looked away, a hint of a smile hovering over her lips.

"Hell, I'm sorry, Holly, I spoke without thinking. I don't want to make you uncomfortable."

"No, that's all right, Mr D. It was nice to hear." She paused, "You know, that's the first time you have complimented me about my appearance."

"That's probably right. As you can probably imagine there has to be boundaries and telling my students that they looked nice could viewed as crossing a line. I had to be very careful."

"I get that, Mr D, but I'm no longer your student and it was nice of you to say so now. It seldom happens. All my life people admired my mother and hardly noticed me. When they did, I was that nuisance who was always hanging around her, or the dumb kid. At school I had very few friends, and boys either made fun of me or thought that as I was slow then I'd be an easy lay. I had one special friend at school, and we would talk about anything and everything. She was my lifeline, but when she went to high school, we lost touch. You know how it is, life moves on."

"Kids are horrible creatures. When I was studying to be a teacher, I had to gain work experience and I realised that I could never work in a school. One on one is so much better. All that bravado and desire to show off fades away and the real personality comes out. I always enjoyed working with my students. I know I shouldn't say this, but you were one of my favorites. I looked forward to our sessions. You would sometimes share with me what was happening in your life, how you were treated at school, and despite all that crap you went through academically and socially, you were always caring to others, thoughtful, and so keen to learn. It really was a pleasure to work with you."