The Journo and the Pollie

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He looked confused. "Demons? What the hell do they have to do with the story?"

"They're involved. Michael Carsworth is in bed with them. This runs deeper than that project, Phil. There's something going on."

We walked, paced around and around his office. "Okay, I don't want you playing around with this. It's too damn dangerous. Those bastards have no ethics. They're into drug dealing and prostitution. I want you to stay the hell away from this. I'll have a chat with some mates in the Police. See what they suggest."

"Can you trust them? If this gets out they'll know I told. I'm scared, Phil. I mean really scared. One of them followed me here this morning."

"They're cops, Mel, I hope I can trust them. I will just ask a few questions and see what I can dig up."

"There's something else I need to tell you." I breathed.

"There's more?"

"Yeah, sorry, Phil. Ivy Lawson has already talked to the Police commissioner. She was trying to help. But even after that, they followed me this morning."

He looked dumbfounded. "Ivy Lawson knows? All right, Mel, I need you to be honest with me. What's the connection between you and our not so revered Minister for roads?"

"We are old friends. She gave me some of the information on Goldseal and Michael Carsworth. I told her a little of what I discovered, and now she has the IRD and the Fraud Squad investigating."

He slammed his fist down on the desk. "Bugger, guess we are going to lose our scoop."

"No, Phil." I replied louder than necessary. "Ivy promised that she would let us lead the story."

"That's all good and well, Mel, but once the fraud squad get involved. It will leak quickly."

He gave me a stern glare. "I think you better stay out of it for the time being. Keep a low profile. I'll give Jerry the political role, you can pick up his stories."

Disgusted, I sighed. "Real estate and business. Really?"

He shrugged. "Sorry, Mel. Take it or leave it."

Back at my desk, I sat pondering the way things had slipped. With nothing to do, I started to go back over my research. There were some names that kept popping up, names that I recognised. Before I knew where the day had gone, it was lunchtime.

As I walked down to the cafe on the corner, I went back over the names. Why the hell would the country's most popular news presenter be involved with Carsworth?

My phone rang, and it was Ivy. "Hello, Mel. How are you?"

A bit peeved I muttered. "Scared. The bloody Demons followed me to work today. Phil has pulled me off the story."

"Oh dear, I'm sorry, Mel. Would you like to come over for dinner tonight?"

"I don't know, Ivy. I don't want to let them know we are friends."

"How would they know? I think you're letting your imagination get the better of you. You'll be safe here."

"Ivy, I was thinking more of you than me. If they realise that there is something between you and me, they would use that to bring you down, and shift the spotlight off them."

I heard her sigh. "Mel, I know it must seem overwhelming. I remember my first time, I remember how mixed up and confused I was. But, god, I would love to see you tonight. I can't stop thinking about you, about us. All day, you are all I have been able to think about."

Hearing her admission made me blush. My mind was distracted, but she had been a big part of my thoughts, as well. "Ivy, this isn't so much about you and me, but about what might happen. I'm scared."

I heard the despondency in her voice, her unease was so evident. "All right, Mel, I'm not going to pressure you. Sleep tight."

Sleep, god that would have been nice. Unfortunately, there was no chance of that. In the end, I gave up and started to research more of the information I had managed to collate. I started making a list of the facts. Carsworth's father, he was an unknown quantity in this. His fingerprints, though, were all over it. He was implicated in so many ways.

I started to go back through media files, anything that listed his name. I was shocked to find plenty. He had been bankrupt. He had been fired from a major financial institution for unacceptable behaviour. Nothing was proven, but he was sacked on the back of it. I noted there was another name in that file that stuck out: Jim Pearson, the lawyer who represented the Demons.

There had been a lot of media attention focused on him. It appeared every deal he was involved in was shady.

There were a few stories that ran. Seeing Gage Robson's name I decided in the morning I would follow up with him. He had long since retired from journalism, but I had met him. Hopefully, he might shine some light on things.

On top of all that was Ivy; the mere thought of her beautiful face brought to life memories so vivid and pleasurable. So incredibly lubricious, I felt my my heartbeat pick up instantly as the lucid images filled my swirling thoughts.

She was so different to the way I remembered, so sultry, desirable. Why she affected me the way she did frightened me. My reaction also stunned me. I wasn't homophobic, but I guess I led a fairly insular life. Ivy was the only lesbian I had ever been close to. Wow, when I thought about it, I had never associated with a lesbian before.

The deeper aspect was why did I feel so uneasy about it? I couldn't see myself as a lesbian. What would people say? It annoyed me that I felt that way. It blew my impressions of myself out of the water. I always saw myself as accepting and open-minded.

Why did being attracted to such a beautiful woman frighten me?

The morning dawned and I filled up on coffee to try and get me started. First on my list was Gage. I rang the number I had for him. It rang for a few moments before he answered. His voice seemed tense, although when I explained who it was, he brightened.

That didn't last long. The moment I asked about Carsworth, he tightened up. He became defensive and vague. He changed instantly from warm to couldn't wait to hang up.

That was a bust, although it did make me feel like there was something he was hiding.

It wasn't hard to find names of other crew members that Gage worked with. That was a shock. Some of the names I heard made my skin crawl.

I was lunchtime when I walked down to the park to get some space, I was surprised by Gage. He walked up beside me. "Keep walking, Mel."

I did as he asked. He fell into step beside me and then he muttered. "Mel, you're getting involved with something dangerous here. Are you sure you want to know?"

"Yes," I answered. "I need answers. There's something bad going on here, and I want to get to the bottom of it."

"All right, Carsworth is using his start up in Australia to transport drugs for the Demons. That's where the money comes from."

"What? How the hell do they do it?"

"Machinery, equipment parts. As a respected contractor, his gear gets less stringent customs inspections."

Confused, I asked, "So why didn't you break the story?"

He gave me a very grim look. "Let's just say he made it very clear to me that if I did, there would be very dire consequences for me."

"You mean he threatened you?"

"Yes, it's why I quit journalism."

"Wow, that's terrible. Couldn't you have gone to the cops?"

"He wasn't threatening me, it was my family. If it was just me, I would have taken the chance, but he made it abundantly clear. It was my family who were in danger."

"Wow, what an arsehole."

His face twisted in a very nasty sneer. "Yes, of the highest order. Look, I'm here to warn you. It sounds like you know some of what's going on. If you keep digging around, your life might actually be in danger."

We passed under the big overhanging walnut trees and up onto the grassed embankment where I sat to eat my lunch. As most days, the wind whistled in from the harbour and it sent a shiver down my spine.

"He already has. Or at least somebody has, I don't know for sure it was him, but I got a visit from some members of the Demons motorcycle gang."

"Ah, his henchmen. Yes, you have ruffled his feathers. You will need to be very careful."

"Do you have any actual evidence? Anything factual? I have a lot of stuff, but nothing concrete. Nothing that would actually get him locked up."

"Melissa, I have a mountain of stuff, copies of documents, audio recordings. You have to realise, he might get locked up, but his tentacles reach out a long way. Even if he was locked up, his father would be able to make sure you didn't testify, or even worse."

"But I can't just do nothing. He has to pay. What about his wife? I need to get her."

"Melissa, I know things look bad for her. However, I think she is blissfully unaware of his dealings, at least I hope so for the country's sake."

"Maybe, but she knows enough, she's a part owner in his company. She's throwing so much muck. It's not fair, it's all just a subterfuge to keep the focus off what's really happening. She might not know what an arsehole he is, but she is dirty."

He nodded in agreement as I pulled out my lunch. "Melissa, I have kept them off my back because I have a file with everything I have on it locked away with my solicitor on the understanding that if anything should happen to me, it gets sent to the police."

"Could you send it to me?" It was hopeful, I gave him my best pleading look. "Please?"

"No, some of it is directly linked to me. I am not putting my family in danger."

"But some of the stuff must be available, if I dug around in the right places. I could get it anyway."

"I suppose, I could give you some hints."

I smiled with my mouth stuffed full of my cheese sandwich. "Thank you, how do we proceed?"

"You give me a private email, one that's not linked to the paper, or even to you, directly. I will send you a few snippets."

I already had a secret email address. I quickly scribbled the address down, and passed it to him. He took it, but looked grim. "Melissa, if you go ahead with this, then find somewhere safe to stay. Somewhere he can't reach you."

With that, he was gone. God, this was scary, I felt like an actor in some dark cops and robbers movie.

I tried to get my mind off it by doing some actual work for the newspaper: general interest stories, light stuff.

That night I watched the news, and poor Ivy was getting ripped to shreds by angry reporters at a news conference. I watched in horror as she tried to explain why the road construction project was so far behind schedule. Why hadn't she taken more of a lead on it? Why had she mislead the Government on the delays?

It was horrid, and I felt so sorry for her. It looked like the Government was using her as a scapegoat, if they were supporting her. They were doing a shit job of it. They had hung her out to dry.

I gave her a call. "Hey, Ivy, how are you feeling?"

She broke down, I heard her sobbing wistfully. "Not so good. I think I'm going to lose my portfolio."

"What?" I gasped. "Surely they must understand, didn't you explain what's happening?"

"I tried, but until the SFO digs up something, all I have is unsubstantiated allegations."

"Oh shit, I'm so sorry, Ivy. I have some stuff, but I'm scared. This mustn't go anywhere, but the reason Gage Robson quit journalism was because he got dirt on Carsworth. They threatened his family."

I heard her sharp intake of breath. "Mel, you have to find somewhere safer to live. They obviously have your address."

Her words made me tremble. "I'm sure I will be okay. I'm not on the case anymore."

"Don't be so casual about this, Mel. You are obviously still digging around. How else did you find out about Gage?"

"Yes, I suppose so, but I don't know what to do."

"Grab what you think is important, and later tonight I will come and get you."

"Ivy, I can't come and bludge off you."

"Don't be silly, Mel, you're not mooching off me. You're one of the few people trying to help. Everybody else wants to wash their hands of me. I've made a real mess of this project."

"Don't be so hard on yourself, Ivy. You have to remember you were set up to fail."

"Even so, I have to prove that. The good news is the SFO must find out the truth. Carsworth is going to be in trouble. I have already highlighted to the PM that Jenny is a part owner of the company. He seemed shocked. I think there will be a few questions raised in the house over the next week."

"Ivy, the problem is, if you show your hand too early, they will tighten up and it may give them the chance to hide any financial transgressions."

"Mel, let's get you into a safe place before we worry about any of that. I would really like it if you came and stayed with me."

I wasn't sure it was such a good idea, I still had to figure out my own feelings. I couldn't help feeling I was putting myself in an awkward position, and it might end up destroying our friendship.

"Okay, Ivy, but I hope we both don't regret this."

"What do you mean? Why would we rue it?" I sensed a hint of annoyance.

"Ivy, it's just that, well you know. With what happened between us, maybe it's too soon to be living together."

"Mel, I'm not asking you to live with me, if that's what you're worried about. You can have the spare room. Or if you like, I will pay for a motel. I just want you safe. I hate the thought of something untoward happening because you were helping me."

Hearing her offer quelled my misgivings. "I'll come to your place. I don't know if they're watching me, or if they are, whether they monitor the house all night. Perhaps come over about two AM."

"All right, Mel, I'll be there at two. I'll send you a text when I'm just about there."

I quickly packed up enough clothes for a week or so. I collected my laptop and as many files as I could and chucked them in another case.

As Ivy texted she was just entering my street, I was already waiting. I jumped in and we sped off. Ivy reached over to give my shoulder a rub. "It's so nice to see you, Mel."

We pulled into her apartment complex, the roll down doors opening to let us in. When Ivy saw I only had a couple of cases, she said, "My word, Mel. You haven't brought many clothes."

"I was only planning to be here for a week."

"Good lord. I think it might take a little longer than that."

"Perhaps, but by then I should know if they are tailing me. I mean this might be a huge over-reaction. They may have just been trying to scare me."

I didn't believe it, and looking at Ivy, I knew she didn't think so.

She helped me carry my cases up to her place, and once inside she made us both a cup of tea. That's when it got awkward, uncomfortable. We sat at her breakfast bar sitting side by side, our shoulders touching. The heat of her body emphasising the closeness.

She smiled at me between sips. As we neared the end, she whispered throatily, "I'm tired, I think it's bed for me."

I nodded, feeling the fatigue for the first time. Up until then I had been carried along by the adrenalin coursing through my veins. I could feel my eyelids getting heavy. "Yes, bed sounds good."

"Mel, you can choose where you sleep. I would love you to share my bed, but if that concerns you, then please use the spare room, okay."

I nodded. "Thanks, Ivy. I think tonight I will use the spare room. I'm beat."

"Of course, I will show you where everything is."

She led me into a bedroom, already made up. The bed was big and plush, much like a motel bedroom. I pushed my cases into the closet and turned to find Ivy standing very close. I should have said something, but as her arms circled my waist and our bodies nudged together, my fight seeped away. Our breasts crushed together as she leaned in closer. Our mouths touched, it was gentle, subtle electric shocks flitted through my body. My trepidation eased, replaced by desire.

Just when I was about to fold and fall entirely into that beautiful kiss. She stepped back. "Good night, Mel."

She turned and walked out, heading for her own bedroom. I changed quickly into my PJ's and pulled back the duvet. I glanced up and noticed my reflection in the wardrobe mirror. I looked terrible in my sloppy old PJ's that I had been wearing for years. Ivy's beauty infiltrated my mind. She was such a gorgeous creature.

I stood staring at my reflection as I toyed with my hair. I could hear Ivy getting ready for bed. "I bet she's not wearing grotty old Pjs," I said under my breath.

I should go in and thank her for letting me stay. I hadn't really said thank you yet. I turned and took a couple of paces. "No, that's ridiculous. I can tell her in the morning."

Yes, no, yes. I paced to and fro, wearing a trail in the carpet as I changed my mind.

I was just climbing into bed when Ivy walked in, well, more a flowing glide really. She sort of wafted in, wearing a long sheer negligee that caressed her feet as she walked. "Mel, I just wanted to say thank you for believing in me."

I smiled. "It's okay, Ivy, I never really doubted you. I want to help."

She walked over to the bed and leaned down to kissed me again. The strong sensual fragrance of her perfume filled my senses. God, I didn't think about perfume, hers smelt so good.

She stood quickly. "Good night, Mel."

She turned easily and was out the door before I could say anything. I lay there, my head on my hands. Our first time returned to my mind. It was the most incredible sexual experience of my life, and she was lying in there. Just like me probably. I was being a fool to myself. Why shouldn't I be in there with her? What did it matter if we made love, kissed, held each other. It was nobody's business but ours.

I wanted it, I yearned for her touch. "Stop being a sook. Just go in there," I grumbled under my breath.

I battled, should I, shouldn't I? By the time I decided to hell with it, I heard Ivy snoring. I stood beside her bed, looking down at her. I sniggered at the cute little snuffles.

Gently, I slipped under the duvet. My body pressed up behind hers, the perfect spoon. "Hmmmm, Mel?"

"Yes." I whispered. "I needed a cuddle."

"Oh god, I'm so glad." She wriggled, pressing back against me, her body hot and sensual. My arm curled up over her body, and she grabbed my hand and held it tightly as we snuggled together.

Tiredness dragged me quickly into the darkness. Now, perhaps it was my snores that serenaded her.

Waking in her arms was incredible. It felt right, it felt soft, gentle, soothing. Her eyes were already open, staring at mine. She giggled a little as I woke. "Morning, sleepyhead."

I grinned. "Good morning to you."

Her mouth found mine, her lips moist and full, her tongue a welcome I couldn't fight. We exchanged playful swirling dances as our mouths embraced the new day.

Her hands caressed and stroked my body, my loose Pj's no defence against her marauding hands. Up under the cotton they went. My nipples hardened under her inquest, pinching and tweaking. Her thumb and forefinger rolling them gently. I reciprocated, her filmy teddy inviting my caress.

I knew what I liked, and I employed that knowledge to arouse her.

God it felt incredible. Making love with Ivy was so different to any guy I had ever been with. It was slow, sensuous, erotic and she knew exactly how to pace the lustful desires. We built together, lots of sexy kisses, my hot mouth covering Ivy's luscious boobs. I suckled like a baby, enjoying the feel of her sharp little nubs firming in my mouth.

Her body writhed edgily against me. With her fingers in my sex, my juices oozing all over her hand I felt like a slut, but a happy one. My hands were busy, as well, and it wasn't long before her body arched, her legs stretched out and her pussy clutched wantonly on my sticky gooey fingers. "Fuck Mel, god that is so nice."

Her fingers toyed with my clit, the palm of her hand flat against my mound as she rubbed and mauled my pussy. I felt my juices oozing and trickling down between my legs, making my thighs slippery.

123456...8