The Journo and the Pollie

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I tossed up calling Mum and Dad, I didn't want to say anything until Ivy had made up her mind.

Sleep didn't come easy, but I did eventually fall asleep.

I was awakened by my phone. "Hello?" I groaned as I rubbed my eyes.

"Mel, it's me, Ivy. I want to know if you have changed your mind?"

Sitting bolt upright I whispered. "No, I am in a relationship with Ivy Lawson. She is my partner."

"That's good, because I am in love with and in a relationship with Melissa Godwin. When I go in this morning. I am telling the PM. I'm sorry I let it come to this, Mel. If they shove me onto the back bench, then so be it. I am over it. You were right. I want the world to know how much I love you. I am about to ring my parents."

"Good luck, baby. I love you."

With the phone beeping in my hand. I dialled my mothers number. "Hello, Melissa. Why didn't you answer my calls last night?"

"Because I was a bit busy, Mum, and I had to make sure what I told you was the truth."

"I see, and the truth is?"

"The truth, Mother, is Ivy and I are in love. We are a coupe, she is my partner."

The phone went silent, except for the fact that I could hear her whispering to Dad. "It's all true. Oh good lord. It's all true."

"Mum, are you there?"

"Yes, dear. I was just relaying to your father."

"What did he say?"

"He said, So long as you're happy he will support you."

"What about you, Mother?"

"Oh don't be silly, Melissa. All I ever wanted was your happiness. But what about children?"

"Mum, we both want children. We might adopt, or use IVF. We have options. Ivy wants children just as much as me."

"What about work, Melissa, what will happen there?"

"I don't know, Mum. All I know is we love each other and want to stop lying to everybody. We want to be able to live our lives."

"I love you, Mel. Just be careful, sweetheart."

I decided no sense in hiding any longer. I went into work. As expected, there was a media circus outside the building, waiting. I put my head in the air, and walked straight through. I pushed my way in saying "No comment" to all their questions.

Phil stared as I walked in. "Well, look who the bloody cat dragged in. Thought you were sick today?"

"Nah, I've got an obituary to write."

He smiled warmly. So Ms. Lawson is going public, aye?"

I nodded, "Sure is."

He opened his arms and I walked into a big hug. "I guess congratulations are in order."

"Thanks, Phil."

"You can repay me with an editorial."

"Done, but it can't go public until after Ivy makes her statement."

He nodded, "Get your arse into gear. I want it on my desk before three. I am damn sure it will go out during question time."

"Yep, I reckon she will take the opportunity to send a message to everyone."

I waited impatiently. I wrote, I paced, I wrote some more. About one PM, Ivy called. "Hi babe. I told the PM."

"How did it go?"

"He gave me a bollocking, but he was surprisingly supportive. He believes it will be a positive, not a negative. Did you tell your parents?"

"Yep, told them first thing, straight after your call. What about you?"

"Yes, I had that discussion."

"How did it go?"

"Mum laughed. She said, and these are her words, "About damn time, young lady." They both knew, well, surmised."

"They were okay when you told them it was me?"

"Okay? They were very happy. You know, I think my mother has always loved you more than me. When we were younger, I was jealous of your relationship with her."

"Phil has asked me to write a piece on our relationship. If you're okay, then it will go out tonight?"

"I look forward to reading it. You better be nice to me.

"How could I be anything else. I mean, you are my partner."

"Mel, I don't want a partner, I want a wife. If we do this. I want to be married."

I laughed. "Married? Who's wearing the dress?"

"I am." She shrieked with laughter.

"Like hell, I already have my dress designed. I know exactly what I want."

"Then we will be two blushing brides together."

"I love you, Ivy Lawson."

"And I love you, Melissa Godwin. God, I feel like I am falling."

The end

1...345678